Sword-Focus / Staff ... A Melee Set?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I’ve been running with Sword-Focus & Staff since launch almost religiously. I’ve dabbled with other weapons, gained a profound respect for the greatsword, and even tried to force myself to run Sword/Sword because of how sick it looks…

…But I always inexorably go back to my main set.

Yet despite that I never really noticed something until very recently; Sword-focus/Staff seems to perform best when used as a practically full-melee spec. If that sounds odd, it’s odd for me to type as well since staff and focus work at 1200 range, but it seems to be true.

I previously stated why I like Chaotic Interruption over Chaotic Dampening with Staff & Focus (link) but I finally have a video to prove it, which also happens to partially demonstrate why the weapons get stronger the closer you are to the opponent, as opposed to the Greatsword and Scepter(autoattack notwithstanding).

Video Link Here

Keep an eye out for 4:06 for the Focus immob into Warden+blurred and a little around 6:50 for the 1v1s.

Chaos Storm, Winds of Chaos, Warden, all three sword attacks, and Warlock all perform better the closer you are to your opponent. While staff is generally defensive, it also allows for a stronger offense with the sword (and it’s surprisingly decent autoattack). Staff’s autoattack is more likely to bounce it’s Might/Fury to you the closer you are, iWarlock is more likely to hit at closer ranges. When it’s not used for defense, Chaos Armor seems built for melee, giving cripple/swiftness/blind/protection in an engagement.

In this duel with a thief, (link) I kill him almost entirely with melee damage.

Has anyone had any different experience/perspective with this spec? Am I crazy?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I don’t like Warden because of the high probability he doesn’t attack. I can force him to attack if I pull the mob/enemy into him, but if he doesn’t get a hug by his target, he sometimes doesn’t start spinning.

I guess he needs to get hugged before he can spin his web of love…

I used to run Sword/Focus + Staff religiously, back when everyone was camping Greatsword. It was nice, but I don’t think I can do it anymore with the Phase Retreat not being a stunbreak (I know, I know, it still ports you back, but if you time it wrong it can effectively double the cc duration and leave you more vulnerable).

Also, if you run Sword/Torch + Staff in PvE, it’s nice for the Chaos Blasts, although that’s really just for bad pug runs since you don’t want to drop a Chaos Field overlapping a Fire Field.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I’ve never looked at staff as a ranged weapon anyway. Like you say, it just performs better in melee range. The projectile is slow and the bounce works much better and more immediately when close. It’s more like a melee weapon with the chance to hit things at range if really needed. Even when used defensively chances are you’re doing it in melee range more often than not…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Well, unless you’re doing cheese 40 minute champ kites.

in Mesmer

Posted by: chaosmike.8405

chaosmike.8405

This is almost the exact same build I run for lockdown (pretty much my fav build). The only difference is I run the trait in dueling that increases range of manipulations instead of blade training (for the longer tele).

I really like it, and yes, it does perform better in closer range. But that doesnt mean im in complete melee range. Ex: against warriors (i almost always beat them), i stay approximately at the range of a node. That way I can still hold the point while shutting him down.

But yes the closer range allows:

- phantasms to hit easier
- shatters to be more sudden
- more burst with sword #3 —> #2

Even though warden is meh, i still prefer focus for the utility in #4. It’s so easy to cap/decap points when you get them good with the pull followed by 2 sec immob. Plus the warden does take up a good amount of space in the node, so i wouldn’t say he’s useless. The synergy with immob allows him to hit more often anyway.

I’m still playing with runes/sigils though. Interesting choice will lyssa. I was running with pirate runes and the bird really added to my DPS. I just tried with travelers and i think its…ok.
Next time I’m gonna test Hoelbrak and see if I can take out null field for decoy.

I’m also running double energy sigils and no fire/air. I might change that (was using battle and generosity). However, i do think the dual energy sigils help A LOT.

(edited by chaosmike.8405)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

I feel sorry for that ranger on far point, completely outclassed, good job!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Anyone who thinks there’s ranged play in this game (outside of ranger longbow) is kidding themselves. At least for us Mesmers at the very least. We can kite, we can open up gaps yes, but all you have to do is look at thieves and warriors to realize there is no fighting at range. Thieves have insta cast teleports to target. Warriors on weapon mobility skills turn them into unreflectable melee projectiles. It’s just the way things are.

A good Mesmer should see that, given these sorts of mechanics, that the most dangerous place the enemy can be is right on top of us. That is if we bring the tools necessary to play our targets strengths into our own. So yes, staff and focus are strongest as melee components. Scepter is a mid-range weapon and you can see by the complaints people have with things like confusing images why it can be tough (or why people suffer) for using it. Of course what you’re really giving up for taking it over staff is the extra offhand which, with the right synergy is the only thing that can make scepter truly shine (scepter/sword = two blocks, Scepter/Torch = more condi clear/burn/stealth, Scepter/pistol ranged+condi pressure)

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I think it’s entirely easy to see why this set is melee, and I don’t think people have ever thought differently? I think everyone unknowingly plays this set melee-style and if they don’t, they are probably losing fights.

Focus is not a ranged weapon in the least bit:

• Warden is summoned on top of the enemy and protects you from projectiles if you’re near. Obviously, this means you have to be near in order to be within iWarden’s bubble of wrath.
  • Curtain is used primarily for utility: swiftness, yanking people off points or making a decent get-away. However it also is MOST opportune in setting up lockdown combos. Curtain—>Warden—>Pull—>Distraction—>Leap—>Frenzy—>Shatter (add in your second distraction if need be). I’ve done it before. The damage is killer. yikes.

Staff is obviously versatile in being melee or ranged, but you get the most bang for your buck if you’re in melee range:

• Autoattack gives you might/fury more often if you’re closer instead of having it bounce onto other enemies like you mentioned.
  • Chaos Storm is great to lay down on enemies for the chill/daze, but the boons is where this skill shines most. You need to be on top of the enemy to get its full effect aka melee range.
https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

@chaosmike Have ya tried Runes of the Pack? Glorious with Focus and 30 Chaos.

I think it’s the staff autoattack. While it’s better at close range, it misleads people into thinking that they have to play staff at ranged. Now that I’m thinking about it.. every single attack in the Sw+f / St set is better in melee. Chaos Storm is particularly noteworthy for being excellent against barrage-type attacks like Warrior’s spin or Thief’s unload.

But then there’s the tradeoff of having no form of ranged pressure, that was the reason Warlord and Supcutie had tried to push me towards the greatsword in the first place. We can cut someone down to half or less life almost instantly from 1200r with the GS before they even know we’re there, this swings most fights into our favor pretty quickly and forces the opponent into an uphill climb. If only staff had ONE decently damaging ranged attack (Warlock notwithstanding)…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

That’s the tradeoff for Staff’s defense and overall utility, Chaos. As much as I’m a “buff > nerfs” kind of guy, the only things Staff could truly use as “buffs” would be reversions of the downgrades on C. Armor/Storm. If Staff had GS’ ability to nuke on top of even its current functionality, it’d be a broken mofo.
As for the weapon combo itself? Hell yes, it’s better at close/medium range. WoC boon bounces, Warden (who I really want to see reverted to before they “fixed” him), C Storm procs/Armor combos … tons of fun.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Personally I think s/f staff is a great anti-melee set, as it can kite melee specs for days (except thieves) and force them to stay in the chaos storm which will murder anything that stays in it for to long.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Dare I say… this is the best weapon set Mesmer has to offer.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: chaosmike.8405

chaosmike.8405

@chaosmike Have ya tried Runes of the Pack? Glorious with Focus and 30 Chaos.

Nope I’ll try it out!

But then there’s the tradeoff of having no form of ranged pressure, that was the reason Warlord and Supcutie had tried to push me towards the greatsword in the first place. We can cut someone down to half or less life almost instantly from 1200r with the GS before they even know we’re there, this swings most fights into our favor pretty quickly and forces the opponent into an uphill climb. If only staff had ONE decently damaging ranged attack (Warlock notwithstanding)…

wait how? Mirror Blade + shatter? lol