Sword/Sword - Scepter/Pistol Power/Crit Build

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shisx.1658

Shisx.1658

I have been playing a Mesmer since BWE1. I have tried many builds but this has become my favorite so far.

Traits

Domination:
10 Points
Illusion of Vulnerability – Inflict 5 seconds of vulnerability when you interrupt a foe.
III – Illusions inflict 15% more damage.

Dueling:
20 Points
Critical Infusion – Gain 1 second of vigor on critical hits.
II – Your Phantasms have fury.
Sharper Images – Illusions inflict bleed on critical hits.
III – Gain 3 seconds of retaliation when you block an attack.

Chaos:
15 Points
Metaphysical Rejuvenation – Gain 10 seconds of regeneration when your health reaches 75% (30-second cooldown).
IV – 3% reduced damage for each illusion you have in the world.
Illusionary Membrane – Gain protection for 2 seconds when you gain regeneration.

Inspiration:
25 Points
Vengeful Images – Grants Retaliation to Phantasms.
V – Phantasms have 20% more health.
Phantasmal Healing – Phantasms grant regeneration to nearby allies.
VI – Move faster for each active illusion.
Phantasmal Strength – Phantasms do 15% more damage.

Runes

Weapons:

Sword – Sigil of Superior Air – 30% chance on Critical: Cause a Lightning Strike
Sword(oh) – Sigil of Superior Bloodlust – Gain +10 power each time you kill a foe. (Max 25 stacks; ends on down.)

Scepter – Sigil of Superior Air – 30% chance on Critical: Cause a Lightning Strike
Pistol – Sigil of Superior Bloodlust – Gain +10 power each time you kill a foe. (Max 25 stacks; ends on down.)

Armor:

Superior Rune of the Orge

Beserker’s Amulet with Beserker’s Jewel

Skills

Sword/Sword

1) Mind Slash/Mind Gash(combo) – Vulnerable (5secs) +1% damage
Mind Stab (combo) – Stab your foe and rip a boon off of them.
- I do use auto-attack briefly mainly for the second combo to rip boons.

2) Blurred Frenzy – Strike your foe with a flurry of strikes, distorting the space around you, making you evade attacks. Distortion (2s)

- Your strongest attack outside your illusions. Great offensive for its damage, Defensive for its evade.

3) Illusionary Leap – Summon an Illusion that leaps to your target, crippling them. (1 second cripple 50% speed)
Swap (Combo) – Swap places with your clone. Immobilize nearby foes. (2 second Immobilize)

- Great for chasing someone down when the skill works. I tend to use it only when I am close to them as I get a higher rate of success of it working.

4) Illusionary Riposte – Block your foe, creating an illusion when attacked.
Counter Blade (combo) – Shoot out a bolt that dazes foes in line.

- This is where synergy takes great effect in the build. Remember the trait we put that gives 3 seconds of retaliation for every block. The combo is great as well. Before the block ends cast it again for that 1 sec daze.

5) Phantasmal Swordsman – Create an illusion that attacks your foe.

- This is a really hard hitting phantasm. I’ve seen 3500 – 6000 critical hits from this phantasm.

Scepter/Pistol

1)Ether Bolt – Shoot out a bolt of energy at your target.
Ether Blast(combo) – Shoot out a second bolt of energy at your target.
Ether Clone (combo) – Shoot out a third bolt of energy confusion your target. Summon a clone that cast Ether Bolt.

- Great auto attack that you can use to kite. Shattering Illusions as much as possible because of the third combo.

2) Illusionary Counter – Block the next attack. Counter by creating a clone that cast Ether Bolt.
Counter Spell (combo) – Shoot out a bolt that blinds foes in line. (5sec Blindness)

- Again working off that trait grants retaliation. Also the combo skill is good for its blindness should you not get the block.

3) Confusing Images – Channel a beam of energy that damages and confuses your foe. (5x Hits. Confusion (5seconds): 325 damage on skill use.)

4) Phantasmal Duelist – Create an illusion that unloads its pistols on your foe.

- Pretty much every Mesmer should know this skill.

5) Magic Bullet – Hit up to three foes with a single shot. The first target is stunned, the second is dazed, and the third is blinded.

Heal: Ether Feast – Heal yourself. Gain additional health for each active illusion.

Utility 1: Decoy – Gain stealth and summon an illusion to attack your foe.
- Love this skills. Granting stealth breaks the target lock on you. Making it great to cause confusion.

Utility 2: Null Field – Create a field of energy that rips all boons from foes, and cures all conditions on allies.
-Great against heavy boon builds, great against heavy condition builds. Probably one of the strongest Mesmer skills.

Utility 3: Blink – Teleport to a target location.
- Perfect when you get caught by 100b or PW.

Elite: Time Warp – 10seconds of quickness. (teamfights)
Moa – 10seconds of transformation into a moa. (solo)

Feel free to reply with questions or pm me with them.

Enjoy

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shisx.1658

Shisx.1658

reserve post for q&a

in Mesmer

Posted by: arcdash.4039

arcdash.4039

Wait wait wait…Mesmers can use dual swords? WHY WAS I NEVER TOLD?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Wait wait wait…Mesmers can use dual swords? WHY WAS I NEVER TOLD?

Now if they could only wield duel pistols, that would be awesome!

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoner.1765

Zoner.1765

I do, currently doing 30 dom 30 illusion 10 chaos and a whole bunch of on’death’ and shatter improvements, and all clone generators utility and traits.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Anxiety.2054

Anxiety.2054

I have done nothing but Mesmer since beta and its funny because I too have become satisfied and truly invested in these same weapon combos. Not sure why it hasn’t been more popular with the masses, but most likely because its an odd balance of range and close combat. Your build is much different than what I run however. I think you should do some dps testing on inspiration’s 15% more dmg for your illusions verse 30 power. I came to the conclusion that maxing power while using sharper images does more dps because it lengthens the bleed duration while boosting dmg. You gotta think is 15% dmg to just the duelist and swordsman worth more than raw dmg to every skill and longer condition times on bleed and confusion?

This is just 1 area I think you should look at. Our builds actually differ a lot and I have tried stuff very close to what you have. I like your idea on blocking though. Gaining retaliation since you do block quite a bit on these skill sets.

Anyways I’m glad to see someone else who has tried everything and settled on this weapon combo.

(edited by Anxiety.2054)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

Personally I go with Sword/Pistol and Scepter/Sword so that I always have the +50 Precision buff … which I would take by giving up the 15% illusion damage trait that doesn’t stack with the 15% Phantasm damage trait.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

in Mesmer

Anxiety.2054

Sword/Pistol and Scepter/Sword is the backwards version of this and it doesn’t give you that nice swap between melee and ranged like sword/sword and scepter/pistol. Yes you do get that +50 precision on both swaps, and you get to have both blocks on 1 bar. However, you need to consider how important 50 precision really is over having the ability to focus on 1 ranged condition dmg/crit swap, and 1 melee setup that focuses on power/crit and crit dmg.

With sword/pistol your putting your i.duelist in melee range which doesn’t take advantage of duelist disc trait at all. Furthermore your limited in building your stats to favor 1 phantasm over the other. Swordsman is best with high crit dmg and power for those almost guaranteed 6k crits. While i.duelist benefits more from condition dmg over crit dmg for that nice 6-8 stack bleed. Now consider what the scepter needs. It too benefits from condition dmg over crit dmg. So pair them up and get yourself condition dmg/percision/power exotics on scepter/pistol.. while at the same time your sword/sword can focus on power, precision, crit dmg. Thus creating much better synergy and you always have a block on each swap. Not to mention the playstyle just feels better. For example i.duelist + scepter #3 from 900-1200 yards out that will do great dmg on impact plus stack 5 confusions and 6-8 strong bleeds. Then swap to sword/sword and move in with swordsman and blurred frenzy for an easy 6-10k burst on top of the opener you just did from ranged. Try it out, you will find that +50 precision doesn’t matter as much as the reduced cooldown portion of the trait, thats the real reason to get blade training after all.

(edited by Anxiety.2054)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

It does, however, break it down into Offensive and Defensive. Sword/Pistol is an offensive pair since everything is an attack while Scepter/Sword is Defensive with its two blocks. Allows you to customize your weapon sigils for those purposes. Breaking your weapons into range/melee seems rather limiting to me.

Its 150 Precision (50 for the sword and 100 for the 10 more points in duelist) which is around 5% more crit for myself and my illusions.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

in Mesmer

Anxiety.2054

Oh I was figuring full precision. I do 30 precision and pick up both sword and pistol traits so the phantasms can both be on 9 sec timers to be able to send one after the other. Plus yeah max crit makes for lots of bleeds.