T-ill mez fixed...sign here!

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

As I constantly point out, anytime somebody tries to start a conversation about the weaknesses of the Mesmer class and the poor way in which the balance team have handled the class somebody always comes in to tell us stories about how they can take on entire enemy zergs or 1v1 thiefs with no traits.

Very tiring.

This right here, people keep saying how they have these amazing builds that are gonna be the meta, completely ignoring why mesmers are taken in the first place. People completely ignore that the only viable build mesmers have, is hard countered by well any thief build. They then point out how they have an amazing build that completely wrecks thieves. Well what does it do besides that? Does it match necros/engis condi pressure? Does it have the sustain of any of the other classes? How is it mobility wise? Does it even have portal? What about boon removal?

Then it’s clear that this amazing gonna be meta build is good for one thing, countering thieves, and nothing else.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

4.) I still don’t understand behind the idealogy of meta, its not as if 95% of the mesmer population will play top tier pvp.

This x100. Crying about thieves when there are many Mesmer builds that handle them just fine, is a problem with individuals not the profession.

Ok alanis, gimme 1?

MtD builds
Various Signet builds (Countless clone-death; Celestial signet interrupt)
Various Lockdown builds (both CS and CI hold up fairly well)

Seriously Alanis do you even play a mesmer? Sure, does builds & others not mentioned are good. In the good old days. But i’m sorry, there no longer viable vs a thief among others. Not in a 1v1 situation. If you have help, no problem. but otherwise, plz stop trying to convince there’s no problem with the mesmer.

& no, it’s not a Boon problem. Boon traits we have. I’ve already mentioned what we lack of up in the thread. Read it!

Again saying there are no longer viable builds against thief is kitten. Also avoid your attacks to alanis. I wanna ask how many pvp games do you have? This might gives us a better idea on where you are at.

Oh plzz, she’s a big girl, she can take it. Besides i’m not attacking cuz you would know if i was. Never the less i will respond to your question. I’m Rank 80 & have bin since 1 month after that infamous patch where they upgraded all rank 55 to 80. So i’ve done it from scratch (1 threw 80) thq very much. I earned my title. & i do know what i do. I’ve played all styles & still working on new ones. Testing constantly what Anet come up with & testing the numbers. Like i said, 1 out of 3 wins vs thieves that knows there class. Newb thieves wont win mostly. Old PU condi build, 100% win vs thieves. Hell i could hold a 3 to 4 vs 1 using that build. Not necessarily win but i could get out of dodge before i got ganked. So no, nobody has the right to tell me i suck or anything. If some of you feel there great anoth to deal with thieves hands down, then you must be Subcutie’s play level & deserve to be one of the greats.

in Mesmer

Posted by: denis.9487

denis.9487

As I constantly point out, anytime somebody tries to start a conversation about the weaknesses of the Mesmer class and the poor way in which the balance team have handled the class somebody always comes in to tell us stories about how they can take on entire enemy zergs or 1v1 thiefs with no traits.

Very tiring.

What’s even more tiring is having to constantly scrolls past these endless posts of self-flagellation. Which fill every classes’ forum, mind you. Because everyone is certain ANet treats them the worst.

Self-flagellation is an awesome word. But show me the representation in spvp high level, what does Mesmer do in wvw besides golem rush and veil, why is it not considered worthy for pve optimal runs? Self-flagellation is playing this class because we love it besides it faults.

in Mesmer

Vieux P.1238

Very tiring.

What’s even more tiring is having to constantly scrolls past these endless posts of self-flagellation. Which fill every classes’ forum, mind you. Because everyone is certain ANet treats them the worst.

Self-flagellation is an awesome word. But show me the representation in spvp high level, what does Mesmer do in wvw besides golem rush and veil, why is it not considered worthy for pve optimal runs? Self-flagellation is playing this class because we love it besides it faults.

100% on the nose. We love this class despite all it’s faults & we keep playing it bcuz it’s in our hearts.

Ps: Surprise surprise, interesting topic follows in our favor by the mouths of thieves also.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/How-Mesmers-Feel-About-Thieves/first#post4857164

(edited by Vieux P.1238)

in Mesmer

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

Very tiring.

This right here, people keep saying how they have these amazing builds that are gonna be the meta, completely ignoring why mesmers are taken in the first place. People completely ignore that the only viable build mesmers have, is hard countered by well any thief build. They then point out how they have an amazing build that completely wrecks thieves. Well what does it do besides that? Does it match necros/engis condi pressure? Does it have the sustain of any of the other classes? How is it mobility wise? Does it even have portal? What about boon removal?

Then it’s clear that this amazing gonna be meta build is good for one thing, countering thieves, and nothing else.

Nobody is remotely arguing the Strawmen that you are presenting. People are arguing:

1) If you are tired of consistently getting farmed by thieves, perhaps try a build that doesn’t get hardcountered by thieves; and

2) If you are worried about playing other builds because they aren’t “the meta”, you probably shouldn’t be; because

3) For 95% of people in PvP —-- The.meta.does.not.matter. If you are elite enough where everyone you run up against is top tier, and all you see are Ele/Engi/War/Theif compositions? Then yah, your in a tough spot. For everyone else? You can be plenty viable and strong to a team with a variety of builds that aren’t completely hardcountered by thieves.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

in Mesmer

Vieux P.1238

Very tiring.

Nobody is remotely arguing the Strawmen that you are presenting. People are arguing:

1) If you are tired of consistently getting farmed by thieves, perhaps try a build that doesn’t get hardcountered by thieves; and

2) If you are worried about playing other builds because they aren’t “the meta”, you probably shouldn’t be; because

3) For 95% of people in PvP —-- The.meta.does.not.matter. If you are elite enough where everyone you run up against is top tier, and all you see are Ele/Engi/War/Theif compositions? Then yah, your in a tough spot. For everyone else? You can be plenty viable and strong to a team with a variety of builds that aren’t completely hardcountered by thieves.

*rolling my eyes……. again!!! —-————Sigh—-Come back to me when your rank 80.

in Mesmer

Posted by: denis.9487

denis.9487

Where is Ross with that article of being a scrub. The whole Mesmer population has become brainwashed. You play to win not get to a certain point and say well that’s as high as a Mesmer can go. We need to break those mental constraints and voice the problems that we have.

in Mesmer

Vieux P.1238

Where is Ross with that article of being a scrub. The whole Mesmer population has become brainwashed. You play to win not get to a certain point and say well that’s as high as a Mesmer can go. We need to break those mental constraints and voice the problems that we have.

Here here! +1 point.. If you find it, post the link in this thread.

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

Hard to argue with your logic and counter-points.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Vieux P.1238

What’s the use to counter? you come back with the same answer time after time after we have explained to you why it’s not gonna work. You just want to have the last word. So what ever! I’m not wasting time arguing with you no more cuz you sound like a broken record.

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

What’s the use to counter? you come back with the same answer time after time after we have explained to you why it’s not gonna work. You just want to have the last word. So what ever! I’m not wasting time arguing with you no more cuz you sound like a broken record.

Feel free to use the permalink icon to cut and paste a link to your “counter” so myself and others can figure out where your argument against our points is located, as I don’t see it in this thread. The only thing I saw from re-reading is that “anet nerfed PU so its not viable anymore”. (though I never argued in favor of PU being a realistic build anyway).

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Very tiring.

Would absolutely love hearing about a build with zero traits that works vs thieves and takes on entire zergs.

And would also love to hear about amazing builds claiming to be the next meta! The only builds I’ve seen talked about in this thread are those that perform pretty decent vs thieves. And those same builds weren’t touted to be the end all build for every situation.

The message is to simply adapt when you see a potential hard counter on the other team. When I see a thief, I’ll play one of those effective aforementioned builds and I’ll generally perform rather well. Conversely, if I see an engineer I’ll likely go shatter because the power damage is better vs the turret spam.

In the end you play to win after all. Adapting is the way to play to win.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

Very tiring.

Would absolutely love hearing about a build with zero traits that works vs thieves and takes on entire zergs.

And would also love to hear about amazing builds claiming to be the next meta! The only builds I’ve seen talked about in this thread are those that perform pretty decent vs thieves. And those same builds weren’t touted to be the end all build for every situation.

The message is to simply adapt when you see a potential hard counter on the other team. When I see a thief, I’ll play one of those effective aforementioned builds and I’ll generally perform rather well. Conversely, if I see an engineer I’ll likely go shatter because the power damage is better vs the turret spam.

Yes but the problem is every build that is built to hard counter thieves, and by hard counter I mean survive just enough of their burst to hope you get them down, sucks against any other build/class. Take the condi builds for instance, sure they are gonna wreck thieves. What about the other classes in the meta? How are you going to try and condi down a d/d cele ele with the absolute highest uptime on condi clear in the game. Or a shoutbow that comes in a close second? What about engineers that run a cele build that says “condis? Oh here have some nades.”

I can understand the want to build just so you can deal with thieves, but you lose all your effectiveness against any other class/build that is used.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Selya.5039

Selya.5039

There are many mesmer builds that fare pretty well against thieves, especially condition builds. However, to achieve success against the thief, all these mesmer builds sacrifice something important that makes the mesmer desirable on the team, be it burst, boon strip or mobility. If you build to fight a thief, you build to become more of an overall liability to your team: why would your team want, say, a condi mesmer over an engineer or even a condiiton necromancer?

The response of some users seems to be that “Well, this doesn’t matter because 95% of players won’t ever be tournament-level anyway. So play something non-meta.” I don’t claim to speak for everyone here, but I think that the following goes for a lot of people who play pvp: Our definition of “fun” is to go up against skilled players in a close match. The key word is SKILLED. Beating 5-signet warriors and people who barely know how to dodge does not give me any satisfaction – if I wanted to do that I would go do PvE. What keeps many people playing pvp is the drive to improve their personal skill levels and face better and better opponents. Sure, most people wouldn’t want to actually become professionally competitive, but they sure would like to join semi-casual teams that play in some small tournaments. They would also like to have a MMR high enough to have the chance to play against big names like Magic Toker or Ostrich Eggs when they queue – and put up a good fight against them.

Here then, is where the problem starts. As mesmers start getting better and better at the game, they eventually reach the point where shatter does become the only viable build – if they run anything else they become a burden to their team. So, saying that “the meta doesn’t matter for most people, just play what you like” is akin to saying “Mesmers don’t have problems so long as you are content with your skill level and MMR stagnating, and if you don’t even intend to join a team”, which really doesn’t sound like an appealing solution to me.

As for solutions:
1) Nerf consume plasma
2) Move deceptive evasion to adept
3) Buff power block/confounding suggestions to make them more viable in general and useful against thieves.
4) Do something about Mesmer utilities. Mesmers and eles share the same problem: they are pigeonholed into the same 3/4 utilities just to be effective. This is a very complex problem to fix though.

in Mesmer

Vieux P.1238

skcamow.3527 -Adapting is the way to play to win.

True! Quick change, Adapting to a specific class before a match.
But often leave you open to be dispatched by others. It’s a catch 22.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I’ve been following the thread but honestly It has not occured to me to unload that weapon yet.

I’m also wondering which side you want to level it against because the person I thought you would then got in behind your sentiment :p

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

Very tiring.

Yes but the problem is every build that is built to hard counter thieves, and by hard counter I mean survive just enough of their burst to hope you get them down, sucks against any other build/class. Take the condi builds for instance, sure they are gonna wreck thieves. What about the other classes in the meta? How are you going to try and condi down a d/d cele ele with the absolute highest uptime on condi clear in the game. Or a shoutbow that comes in a close second? What about engineers that run a cele build that says “condis? Oh here have some nades.”

I can understand the want to build just so you can deal with thieves, but you lose all your effectiveness against any other class/build that is used.

MtD builds absolutely wreck Engi and Warrior meta builds in 1v1 situations (and 2v2s that don’t include double AoE cleaning professions), and do actually overwhelm D/D as well (though the latter takes a little longer).

Lockdown builds are able to fare very well vs the above professions as well; though they wouldn’t be able to hold/contest a point like MtD; though they do better in larger fights.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

Very tiring.

MtD builds absolutely wreck Engi and Warrior meta builds in 1v1 situations (and 2v2s that don’t include double AoE cleaning professions), and do actually overwhelm D/D as well (though the latter takes a little longer).

Lockdown builds are able to fare very well vs the above professions as well; though they wouldn’t be able to hold/contest a point like MtD; though they do better in larger fights.

MTD still doesn’t do well against a good shoutbow that manages their cooldowns. And really all they have to do is stand still and use their warhorn/shouts.

The big problem with mesmer condition builds is they rely on stupid opponents (ones that run around spamming skills.)

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

Here then, is where the problem starts. As mesmers start getting better and better at the game, they eventually reach the point where shatter does become the only viable build – if they run anything else they become a burden to their team. So, saying that “the meta doesn’t matter for most people, just play what you like” is akin to saying “Mesmers don’t have problems so long as you are content with your skill level and MMR stagnating, and if you don’t even intend to join a team”, which really doesn’t sound like an appealing solution to me.

I’ll just have to agree to disagree. I think the more likely outcome is that the hypothetical player does get better and better and better — but still doesn’t reach (or often come close) to reaching the elite tier/“top 5%” etc. This top tier is elite for a reason, and for most players merely practicing and playing a ton just isn’t enough; most people just won’t have what it takes…thus why I said the “top 5%” and not “top 35%”.

Most of the time, they will play with and against players just like them — have a real good grasp of the game, can beat a lot/most players, but just aren’t at that next level. Which is perfectly fine, and expected, and can/is a great way to experience the game; you can still be better than 80% of the playerbase and be “competitive” within the game. And, at this level you don’t have to merely play the meta builds, because not every team are going to be cookie-cutter tryhards running Ele-Ele-Engi-War-Thief teams. It will still be guilds and groups of friends that play competitively, but with the professions they enjoy playing.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

Very tiring.

MTD still doesn’t do well against a good shoutbow that manages their cooldowns. And really all they have to do is stand still and use their warhorn/shouts.

The big problem with mesmer condition builds is they rely on stupid opponents (ones that run around spamming skills.)

Last I recall, Nightmare is still running shoutbow, and I’ve been able to overwhelm and kill him solo more often than not; though admittedly its more common that his teammate arrives to +1 me. Granted though, his team is usually rolling our soloQ hero’s.

MtD can put out enough “standard” condi spam that CI can’t merely be held for a torment burst (sc2 or a shatter) — at least in my opinion and from my experience, and while I’m not at an elite level of play, I occasionally get matched up with/against these guys.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Selya.5039

I guess it depends on how you define “elite”. You can definitely get away with quite a lot in solo queue: compositions there aren’t planned, after all. However, even at upper-middle MMR levels, you already start running into strong, experienced players that DO run the prevalent meta builds. And fighting against an opposing team with D/D eles and shoutbows that know how to cleanse and heal not only themselves, but their team as well makes condi mesmers quite irrelevant. Of course, if you run into the typical double-ranger + turret engi + 2 medi guard compositions in solo queue…heh, do whatever you want.

Now, let us ignore the “big” tournaments like ESL and WTS and look at some tournaments established JUST for amateurs, such as the Academy Gaming Weeklies or the Tournament of the Gods. These are the small tournaments that people form a team with their friends and join, and are for experienced veterans who are by no means top tier. In fact, I’ve run into many of the participants of these amateur tournaments while solo-queuing. EVEN in these amateur tournaments, the prevalent meta builds dominate, and teams that try cutesie-things tend to lose pretty hard. This goes back to the point: once you reach the higher ends of gameplay, even if you are by no means at the very top, the pool of optimal builds narrows significantly. Of course, there is the occasional rare event of someone trying a new build and making it work in the meta: the hammer meditation guardian is the best contemporary example. But this rarely happens without ANET intervention once the meta settles after a big patch.

Moreover, even if we ignore all this and say that, yes, the meta builds do not matter for the vast majority of the playerbase, this does not mean that there are no problems with the thief vs mesmer matchup/role competition. Sure, the OP can simply re-trait to another spec, but what about people who DO want to play their mesmer at least semi-competitively? They run into a brick wall that prevents them from doing so, a brick wall that many mesmer players feel is unjust. Hence the many QQ posts.

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

Fair points Seyla, and something I will have to consider, as I don’t participate in these additional tournaments you mention. Perhaps “the top 5%” was too strict; or perhaps teams in these tournaments actually do comprise the top 5%? My guess would be that the vast majority of players aren’t playing these tourney’s, but I could be mistaken. Thanks for the insight.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Selya.5039

The vast majority of players indeed do not play in these tournaments; for most people, pvp comprises just hotjoins, daily farm servers and at most, unranked queue. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend players who are new to mesmer pvp to start learning with meta shatter: it is too unforgiving. Something like a PU power build would be a much more welcoming introduction to the class.

The people who tend to participate in these amateur tournaments are the phoenix/dragon ranked players that you meet in ranked queue (that is, those that actually have a solid knowledge of rotations and their class, and didn’t turret engi their way to legendary champion). Are they the top 5%? Perhaps – the current pool of regular pvp players is so small that you actually recognize many of them by name if you play for a while, so these players can easily be in the top 5%. However, the point still stands: semi-competitive players who simply want to participate in amateur tournaments or compete in the upper reaches of ranked queue are pigeonholed into shatter, a build that is not only eaten alive by thieves, but is also inferior to the thief as a “roamer” in almost every way.

That said, now that I know that you are condi shatter alanis, I will be sure to avoid you if I run into you on my engineer/ take mantra of resolve if I’m on my mesmer >.>

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

The vast majority of players indeed do not play in these tournaments; for most people, pvp comprises just hotjoins, daily farm servers and at most, unranked queue. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend players who are new to mesmer pvp to start learning with meta shatter: it is too unforgiving. Something like a PU power build would be a much more welcoming introduction to the class.

The people who tend to participate in these amateur tournaments are the phoenix/dragon ranked players that you meet in ranked queue (that is, those that actually have a solid knowledge of rotations and their class, and didn’t turret engi their way to legendary champion). Are they the top 5%? Perhaps – the current pool of regular pvp players is so small that you actually recognize many of them by name if you play for a while, so these players can easily be in the top 5%. However, the point still stands: semi-competitive players who simply want to participate in amateur tournaments or compete in the upper reaches of ranked queue are pigeonholed into shatter, a build that is not only eaten alive by thieves, but is also inferior to the thief as a “roamer” in almost every way.

That said, now that I know that you are condi shatter alanis, I will be sure to avoid you if I run into you on my engineer/ take mantra of resolve if I’m on my mesmer >.>

Thanks again for the insight!

As for myself, you will most often find me playing a signet build similar to one run by Countless (the one I use is a celestial build focused more on lockdown than clone death). I do like to dabble in MtD a bit when things get stale, and also really like the standard CI lockdown (which frankly I would expect to actually be viable in these tourney’s, but I digress).

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

There burst is just stupid.

Their

Err.. A full burst of a shatter mesmer will instakill a thief, no? :-)

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

in Mesmer

Vieux P.1238

There burst is just stupid.

Their

Err.. A full burst of a shatter mesmer will instakill a thief, no? :-)

Nope..unless really squishhy or badly build.