The class forums seem to be negative.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Teladis.1309

Teladis.1309

So just got the 10 dollar deal, giving this game a shot, and I had a choice. Necromancer or Mesmer. I was leaning to necro at first, but people like. BAD AI, Necro is selfish..pets don’t work. So i am like ok lets look at another class.

So I saw this class, and was like. WTF 0_0 this is amazing. Make clones of myself to fool people? Teleport switch places with clones, have a army of mirages? This class screams, style, fun, and a army of yourself is a big ego boost, if you look good doing what you love.

This class screams for me. So being the noob I am, I come to the forums.

“Don’t play this class for pve.”

Eh? EH!? I mean I will do pvp one day, but I want to have a fun pve side of things as well. I want a army of mes, ripping monster apart, while the real me is sipping tea talking about the weather. However, if it more like a army of me getting ignored, while i get chased around screaming, oh god why does it hurt so good. I don’t think that sounds fun.

So for just random world pve farming stuff, will I be playing the don’t drop the soap type of pve? Or will I be the haha fooled you stab in your face, type deal?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Leveling a mesmer is quite honestly pretty rough. The problem is that mesmer is incredibly dependent upon traits, and the traits don’t unlock until very late in the leveling process (courtesy of some titanic mistakes by the anet dev team). This means that you’re basically going to be playing what amounts to half of a class for the majority of your leveling experience.

That being said, if you run with appropriate armor and weaponsets, you’ll generally be able to kill things just fine. It’s not going to be faceroll, but you shouldn’t have much difficulty for the most part.

Dungeons are more the situation where mesmer is a bit more iffy. Generally speaking, there are no decent mesmers in dungeons. They’re either really great or really awful. The difference is in knowing what utility to apply when and where. If you don’t know how to use your utility capabilities well, you’ll just end up dying a lot and generally being useless. If you do know how to do it well, you can really carry a lot of groups through a lot of content. There’s several fantastic stickied guides in these forums that contain the vast majority of the information you’ll need to know how to be a great team member in dungeons.

(edited by Fay.2357)

in Mesmer

Teladis.1309

Leveling a mesmer is quite honestly pretty rough. The problem is that mesmer is incredibly dependent upon traits, and the traits don’t unlock until very late in the leveling process (courtesy of some titanic mistakes by the anet dev team). This means that you’re basically going to be playing what amounts to half of a class for the majority of your leveling experience.

That being said, if you run with appropriate armor and weaponsets, you’ll generally be able to kill things just fine. It’s not going to be faceroll, but you shouldn’t have much difficulty for the most part.

Lucky for me, I will have a ranger lady, who lives in my house for some reason, and makes me waffles. She will be helping me out with the leveling. So I take it, at max level, I will be like Rawr? Not meow?

I doubt I will do much dungeons, I have the whole, going at my pace thing going on, and many people find me weird, or too fast/slow depending on if I see shinies or not.

(edited by Teladis.1309)

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Lucky for me, I will have a ranger lady, who lives in my house for some reason, and makes me waffles. She will be helping me out with the leveling. So I take it, at max level, I will be like Rawr? Not meow?

I doubt I will do much dungeons, I have the whole, going at my pace thing going on, and many people find me weird, or too fast/slow depending on if I see shinies or not.

I’ll be honest, there’s an enormous list of things that are not good with mesmer, that cause problems, that are broken, or at juts flat out awful.

That being said, mesmer is still a fun class to play, and you’re not really going to get incensed with those issues until you’ve got 1500+ hours of experience playing and learning the class. There’s an enormous amount of information available to you on these forms, and many extremely helpful people that you can PM in game if you need advice or support, and overall it’s a great class to start on if you’re not scared of a slightly rougher time leveling.

Edit: I saw that post, you’d best behave yourself Teladis, or no waffles for you.

in Mesmer

Teladis.1309

Cool thanks, I was told by the game chat, to post in the forums, and to just ask. That a lot of the mes guides are kinda out dated, due to how often the game changes. Will just do some research! Also, about the list of things not good, it seems like every class forums says the same thing. So it was really hard to find a good vibe for a class.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Cool thanks, I was told by the game chat, to post in the forums, and to just ask. That a lot of the mes guides are kinda out dated, due to how
often the game changes.

The stickied guides are up to date as much as necessary. The game hasn’t changed in a significant way insofar as how mesmer plays in PvE for at least 1.5 years, so you’re good with those.

Also, about the list of things not good, it seems like every class forums says the same thing. So it was really hard to find a good vibe for a class.

This is, of course, true. That being said, mesmer has some more significant ones than a lot of other classes. If you keep looking around in these forums you’ll find some fairly substantial lists. That also being said, as I mentioned before most of these won’t pop up for you until you’re fairly experienced with the class, so it’s not something to worry about now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Just based on the personality in your post I think you’ll love the Mesmer LOL
Jokes aside, Mesmer requires a lot of crazy finger tap dancing, it’s not a class where you just sit around sipping tea while auto spamming stuff. The Mesmer is a super active class and super fun to play and look and feel like a boss.

It’s also not a class where you should be comparing NUMBERS. Like in PvE people say mesmers are bad bc it doesn’t dish out the direct dps that other classes ramp up like crazy. They say levelling is hard. But this is only the case if you don’t seek the thrill of PvE and challenge yourself. I had a blast levelling my Mesmer unlike any other class levelling in places 10 levels higher than me and soloing champs and entire group events with a ton of mobs. That’s what the Mesmer is good at, over stretching limits and never dying if you play your cards right. The damage is decent enough in PvE to not be an issue. If you don’t consider PvE a grind fest, farming, race, etc then you’ll have fun if you want to have fun. You can solo dungeons as a Mesmer and it will be a blast.

Mesmers in dungeons are great fun and you feel like a star when you consistently carry your teams through everything or even skip entire parts of it etc. mesmers are extremely useful and honestly I’ve seen requests for good mesmers to go dungeon run with them. Idk which servers or where or when people play but I’ve never had any issues with PvE Mesmer, in fact after using all the classes, Mesmer is the only class for me and it has been so incredibly fun on all fields. From my experience and several great Mesmers, we basically are the last standing in some tougher situations actually when we had to pioneer and break through new dungeons. The incredible mobility and escapes and utility we have makes us almost invincible if you do everything right. Mesmer can always keep going. The Mesmer is good at pushing the limits. But it’s really all up to player skill which makes it a great class imo.

They are not the king or queen of dps or hard farming or something but they are the class you want to take if you want to show off, stretch your boundaries, challenge yourself and have a ton of fun feeling great.

But of course Mesmer play style is not for everyone. And yes there are things or builds you can’t do in PvE with Mesmer.

(edited by takatsu.9416)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Just based on the personality in your post I think you’ll love the Mesmer LOL

This, no joke.

OP, pick your class based on the theme you enjoy – if it’s all things to do with undeath/vomit green/disgusting undead creatures/disease… (makes me sick just typing it :p), then go with necro.

If you like pink/purple, butterflies, pretty things, art/magic, awesome mind/time/space bending skills and skill names, love seeing more of yourself, then go with mesmer.

Efficiency is a secondary consideration when picking class, because you will be disappointed – if not now, then in the future when Anet decides to nerf/buff/break something.

in Mesmer

Teladis.1309

Thank you all! and I don’t really care about being the best top dps, I just want fun, and as long as I can do the living world stuff, and look cool doing it. Sounds like I found the class for me. I LOVE tricking enemies and doing fancy stuff. So this sounds perfect. I am going to start playing today. (I got to level 2 last night haha) So time for some fun! TY again.

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

Good luck and have fun! Feel free to ask if you have questions – especially during the levelling journey, I loved my levelling experience and preferred doing it solo a with the biggest challenges possibly personally with staff and s/f and power and condi even without traits it was super fun

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Just want to warn you that if your main focus is going to be living world/open world stuff then you will find Mesmer is significantly slower then other classes and can’t tag mobs as well. The speed issue is particularly annoying as new level 80 maps are being made with fewer and fewer waypoints (the newest map only has 2 and one of them is contested most of the time) so you will always find yourself at a disadvantage when trying to run to events.

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

Just want to warn you that if your main focus is going to be living world/open world stuff then you will find Mesmer is significantly slower then other classes and can’t tag mobs as well. The speed issue is particularly annoying as new level 80 maps are being made with fewer and fewer waypoints (the newest map only has 2 and one of them is contested most of the time) so you will always find yourself at a disadvantage when trying to run to events.

I don’t have issues with PvE at all, constant swiftness with certain methods and so on and aoe is fine too, it’s not easy of course but there’s no problems with it honestly, you can still do it all fine and have fun with it. If people want something that’s the easiest and just need optimum results or efficiency then yeah maybe not Mesmer but it is not difficult at all. I’ve used my Mesmer to farm quite a few times lol. It takes some work but you can achieve decent or acceptable results. As a commander aside from wvw I’ve actually led a few farming trains and big group events in the past and was always the first in line, knowing where to go or when to start running and moving, staying faster than the warriors who were always rivals in speed – speed for mesmers from my experience has never been an issue. This includes the traited range blink and centaur runes and focus. Never had an issue myself. If you love Mesmer play style, it becomes a part of your instinct, you adapt and stretch your limits and boundaries

(edited by takatsu.9416)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

If not for Mesmer, this game would be trash.

Simple as that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Simple as that.

Blunt and true.

If it wasn’t for mesmer, I would have quit a couple of weeks after launch.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

So just got the 10 dollar deal, giving this game a shot, and I had a choice. Necromancer or Mesmer. I was leaning to necro at first, but people like. BAD AI, Necro is selfish..pets don’t work. So i am like ok lets look at another class.

So I saw this class, and was like. WTF 0_0 this is amazing. Make clones of myself to fool people? Teleport switch places with clones, have a army of mirages? This class screams, style, fun, and a army of yourself is a big ego boost, if you look good doing what you love.

This class screams for me. So being the noob I am, I come to the forums.

“Don’t play this class for pve.”

Eh? EH!? I mean I will do pvp one day, but I want to have a fun pve side of things as well. I want a army of mes, ripping monster apart, while the real me is sipping tea talking about the weather. However, if it more like a army of me getting ignored, while i get chased around screaming, oh god why does it hurt so good. I don’t think that sounds fun.

So for just random world pve farming stuff, will I be playing the don’t drop the soap type of pve? Or will I be the haha fooled you stab in your face, type deal?

sorry to burst your bubble, but this IS one of those class that sounds good on paper, but is just meh in all aspects of the game. The clones are not fooling any real players in PvP, and thieves eat you for breakfast out of stealth most of the time. As for PvE, there are better classes out there that do more damage and bring more to the team than what Mesmers have to offer. Oh, and we get an OH weapon in shield for the HOT expansion, that’s 3 new weapon skills compare to other classes that get a new main hand weapon with 5 new weapon skills.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zarathustra.1458

Zarathustra.1458

Shield would only bring 2 new skills not three, and one would likely be tied to the class mechanics or a phantasm unless the spec changes something massively.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

Simple as that.

kind of agree, the thief community needs an easy prey to keep themselves confident in their PvP/WvW experience, and we are perfect for that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Digital Dragon.2697

Digital Dragon.2697

I love my Mesmer. Was my 1st 80 (when I played last). When I came back I leveled a Ranger to 80, but decided to do another Mesmer. Both are fun classes. I feel more useful as a Mesmer in dungeons and find it more fun.

Who cares what other people think. Play what you want. Some people whine when
something is hard and isn’t handed to them in a golden goblet. Others say it’s tough to level, but what’s the point of playing a game if there is no challenge?

I say bring it on! Let me die a few times and learn.

PS – I only pve.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

Don’t take everyone’s opinions so seriously. Especially the ones in the forums. Pve isn’t something that’s difficult and you don’t die easily. Unlike pvp, the AI doesn’t dodge your damage. If you’re willing to take a deeper look in how the combat system works I suggest you take a few rounds in spvp as other players are the real obvious threat and treat once you kill them of course.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Don’t take everyone’s opinions so seriously. Especially the ones in the forums. Pve isn’t something that’s difficult and you don’t die easily. Unlike pvp, the AI doesn’t dodge your damage. If you’re willing to take a deeper look in how the combat system works I suggest you take a few rounds in spvp as other players are the real obvious threat and treat once you kill them of course.

lol let’s see your fractal 50 solo videos if PvE is so easy compared to rolling some faceroll spvp hotjoin meta build.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

lol let’s see your fractal 50 solo videos if PvE is so easy compared to rolling some faceroll spvp hotjoin meta build.

I tried to make one. But the computer refused to record, because it was blown away by the mesmer awesomeness.^^

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!