[To Devs] Save Power Block!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

So, we all know that Mesmer got hit pretty hard this patch. We never received some promised fixes (iWarden/Illusionary Elasticity) and the majority of our new Grandmasters aren’t GM-worthy in the slightest or can’t compete with current traits. However, if there’s one surprising shining light, its Power Block.

Power Block, in it’s current bugged form, is a very good trait that isn’t quite overpowered. It’s not OP in PvP due to Mesmer’s lack of reliable AoE interrupts and relatively long CC cooldowns. It’s also not OP because as it turns out, not many skills are able to be put on a 10 second cooldown, and of those skills even fewer are WORTH interrupting..

So why hotfix it? Yes, it isn’t matching it’s original functionality but lets be honest.. The original incarnation of Power Block would be garb and entirely inferior to Confounding Suggestions and Chaotic Interruption.

In it’s current state, Power Block interrupts thieves, rezzing & stomping, interrupts bosses through Defiant, and puts even auto-attacks on a cooldown. This is how the skill should work!

Mesmer are in a bad place right now in all game modes. We’re not very desired in PvP, or WvW raids, and by switching Empowering/Harmonious Mantras you nerfed/broke our dungeon potential to the point where people have to wonder if taking a Mesmer is worthwhile at all. Power Block could potentially remedy that, especially with how it works on bosses currently. Hendo, a very experienced dungeon runner lays it out perfectly:

The new grandmaster domination trait is busted as hell, incredibly fun to use and very reliant on twitch reflexes for PvE.

We were able to score actual interrupts on Lupicus and it was hilarious yet weird to play in since it meant breaking our traditional patterns. Apparently works on the imbued shaman, berserker abomination and subject alpha too, so having a mesmer to interrupt dangerous skills so that other players can perform their skill rotations seems pretty solid. Plus their traditional reflect utility is good for fractals.

We’re thinking 30/30/0/0/10, 30/10/0/20/10 or maybe 15/20/0/25/10 might be pretty legit builds, more so the 30/30.

So… yeah. Mesmer might still honestly have a place in the dungeon meta despite getting its reflect damage hit slightly.

BUT IN ORDER TO KEEP IT IN CHECK…
Right now Power Block is one of our potential saving graces. PLEASE don’t be in a rush to hotfix and forget about it. Study the trait in it’s current form and if anything, patch it stoppign rezzes/stomps and maybe slap a 5 second ICD (10 seconds may make it rather trash again). Shave it, as you did warriors and watch for the results. Please don’t leave us with another useless trait…

(Any Mesmer who agrees, please show your support in the comments)

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Would an ICD really do anything? Unless you’re going to rotate AoE disrupts like Illusionary Wave, Temporal Curtain, Chaos Storm, and Imbued Diversions, you’re most likely not going to need to worry about an ICD, anyways… unless the ICD is 10 seconds, in which case, ouch (unless it’s target specific!)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raunchy.6891

Raunchy.6891

I agree that it would be a super underwhelming trait once it gets hotfixed. I’m all for keeping it how it is so that it at least has a place among our very few high level builds, but I doubt A.net is.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Keep it as is. You’ve got too kitten many Mesmer players a kitten-hair away from calling it quits. And we’re some seriously fashion-obsessed mofos. Lose too many Mesmers, you’re definitely losing out on some wardrobe sales.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

For once I actually feel that even in suboptimal gear elitists would love a skilled interrupt mesmer in their party. Finally a role that isn’t driven by zerk meta.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordKael.7260

LordKael.7260

Power Block is only good in its current state with allowing the interrupted rezzes/stomps/etc. Without allowing those types of interrupts, it’s rather lame, especially in comparison to Chaotic Interrupt builds. I’m hoping the trait is actually working as intended instead of bugged.

Lord Kael – Guardian
Seventh Legion [VII]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jakre.4729

Jakre.4729

Still inferior to Chaotic Interruption. Any nerf would make it unusable in pvp environments.

Adam

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

Keep as is for build diversity and lockdown builds viability pls ):

Bad enough we didn’t get any fixes at all and there’s no communication or confirmation if we’re still getting the fixes, at least give us this…

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Apsis.4569

Apsis.4569

As a longtime Mesmer I fully support and agree with everyone’s points above with respect to saving this trait. Please don’t make me throw my main in the bin. I’ll likely quit the game if you trash my class any further.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Schizophasia.6781

Schizophasia.6781

I agree, losing the current functionality of this trait would make it simply not worth taking.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zarathustra.1458

Zarathustra.1458

I would say shave the lockout time. Make it interrupt the skills which do not have a cooldown by 5s and skills that do have a cooldown by 10s. This would allow it to keep the functionality closer to what was the original intent of the trait and still let it remain a viable trait for us against certain classes.

In Pve it should remain the same, this skill has actually made a lockdown mesmer viable in dungeon runs. This is incredible! In this one change you actually made me excited to long into the game again…. I have not enjoyed dungeons since the introduction of defiant, but this, letting me use a proper interrupt build, letting me act as a viable support to my party by preventing the damage they would other wise receive from that massive aoe, this is what being a mesmer is all about to me… Let me keep I beg of you.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dekron.9458

Dekron.9458

Signed OP
If you need to nerf it please consider to not removing completly the recharge on no countdown skill i think that 4/10 should be good and remove the ress/stomp interrut

Italian Guild – [IRIS]
Piken square – Server
My website: www.paris-web.it

(edited by Dekron.9458)

in Mesmer

Posted by: clipnotdone.9634

clipnotdone.9634

You might wanna make a thread over in the balance subforum, because I somehow doubt this is going to get read otherwise.

25/90 never forget.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Marsares.2053

Marsares.2053

I don’t see how powerlock in its current form should be “fixed”, as I don’t see anything that’s wrong with it and changing it will make it underwhelming at best.

It’s centred around tactical play and knowing your opponent, and thus should give you a good reward in turn. It’s also single target, so it’s not like it’s going to have a major impact on anything outside 1v1. And the fact that it works on auto-attacks is how it should be… if you as a class create a build that relies on AA’s, then you should be punished for it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I play thief mainly, and I can honestly say I hope they don’t change Power Block to not affect auto attacks and initiative skills. It would give mesmers a place in the meta, and the numbers could be tweaked until a balance is found.

It’s something very different than damage, damage, damage, tank, tank, tank. It potentially adds a really solid control role.

Added:
I think Power Block should affect functionalities without cooldowns differently than skills with cooldowns. Maybe it affects auto attacks, initiaitve skills, rezzing, and stomping for 3 seconds, and all skills with a recharge for 10 seconds.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

(edited by Shockwave.1230)

in Mesmer

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

/petition signed

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stal.8754

Stal.8754

“Not working as intended”, that should be the Mesmer slogan :-)

I played a little with it in PvP and its kinda fun. Did get a few moans from warriors though lol

Naazimber – Mesmer – Ring of Fire [EU]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scribble.8069

Scribble.8069

Adding an ICD would almost make it completely not worth taking in PvP over Chaotic Interruptions for interrupt builds. And it’s introducing a completely different tactic in PvE which is awesome! Shouldn’t be changed.

Scribble Scrabbler
Kiss Kiss Bang [BANG]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

Where was it said power lock would be nerfed?
I checked the dev tracker and didn’t see anything.
But adding cool downs etc would kill the skill and totally go against the insta cast daze mantra

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

What kind of Kool-Aid are you people drinking? Mesmer is still the single handed undisputed king of 1v1 (if you are decent) and still has some of the most useful utilities in tpvp. You have broken stealth and AI to do the damage for you while you dodge around and laugh.

Mesmer, as it was at launch, is still the best profession hands down. Cheap, easy to play, and powerful for little investment. You literally have every condition, boon, and state possible in the game with extreme uptime on all of them.

Now you want a trait that can perma cool down someones abilities? Or better yet, put stomp and rezing on cool down when it is not even a skill? I am at a lost for words….

in Mesmer

Posted by: gnomidlo.7408

gnomidlo.7408

Signed.

Btw it’s my first post although I’ve been playing since release (and main Mesmer), and stalk this forum, so: “Hi everybody”.
Hope the petition will be read (and answered to?) by someone from ANet.

in Mesmer

Caelus.7139

Signed.

Btw it’s my first post although I’ve been playing since release (and main Mesmer), and stalk this forum, so: “Hi everybody”.
Hope the petition will be read (and answered to?) by someone from ANet.

Last sentence makes me cry inside.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Would an ICD really do anything? Unless you’re going to rotate AoE disrupts like Illusionary Wave, Temporal Curtain, Chaos Storm, and Imbued Diversions, you’re most likely not going to need to worry about an ICD, anyways… unless the ICD is 10 seconds, in which case, ouch (unless it’s target specific!)

Well that’d be the idea, keep its power versus a single target and reduce it in area situations.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

I’m not terribly fond of ICDs and I don’t think the trait needs changing as is.

I know you mean well love, but it could be best to hold off on calls to change the trait for a while since it isn’t clear the public opinion is against it to begin with. It’s only been a few days since the patch dropped after all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Its the most fun thing happened to the game since release and should be food for a PvE rework instead of fixing it.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

Please point to where a dev has stated that power block is
a) currently bugged
b) going to be Hot fixed

I’m not sure the point of all these threads if the above hasn’t been stated.

The idea of giving the trait a hidden cool down is terribad. Hidden Cool downs make skills awkward to use, a chore to play and is the last thing needed with a skill that relies on reflexes.

The whole point of mantras is that they’re precharged and then fire off instantly when you need them so what would be the point in a(n instant) daze mantra that intertwines with a trait that has hidden cool downs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

After playing against it a lot yesterday in team queues, power block vs rez/stomp is stupidly strong.. overpowered as heck.

It should stay vs thieves and autos however!

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in Mesmer

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

I think they should fix it to keep its usefulness in line with most of the other new traits.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

in Mesmer

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

Agree that if they change, they need to shave it not smash it into the ground, otherwise this patch is pointless.

in Mesmer

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

/signed

This trait makes me finally play a real lockdown mesmer like gw1.

An internal CD would kill this trait.

Making this trait to not work on thieves’ skilla would kill this trait.

If you want to shave duration do not shave under 5 sec cd to interrupted skill.

Fix it in on res and stop but dont kill this trait pls, finally we have a REAL lockdown mesmer.

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dennis.3068

Dennis.3068

/signed
15 random letters

in Mesmer

Posted by: Neptune.2570

Neptune.2570

Signed. After feeling unwanted for so long it’s nice to actually have a defined roll. This trait makes mesmer viable in PvP again

Daliriant, Dr Octogon [Champion Illusionist]
Mellowpuff [Champion Hunter]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phent.9350

Phent.9350

Signed. I’m viable in PvP ! Finaly i have choice and don’t have to play 4/4/0/0/6 in tPvP

[None] mesmer/ele/engi/thief/necro

in Mesmer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

If it interrupts bosses through defiant, then that should be fixed/nerfed.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

/signed

Anything that promotes non-zerg playing gets a +1 from me

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Hate to say it but when the devs do see this thread, its getting insta-locked due to “Petitions are not allowed on the forums”.

I would suggest trying this again but in a different format Chaos. I do agree that PB in its current forum could use some toning down (like the rez/stomp or PvE Defiance stuff) but finally being able to shut down keystone skills for 10 seconds on ANY class makes mesmers very viable again.

I was melting D/P thieves on wednesday just by interrupting Heart Seeker once or twice (that means no leap and no invis to BS/ avoid all my damage) and i had a dead thief. Honestly the most fun i’ve had and the most viable Interrupts have been since Launch day in PvP.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

So where did any dev say that

a) currently bugged
b) going to be Hot fixed

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

in Mesmer

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

Interrupting their HS once or twice is already killing them without the trait. This is due that the blind field + HS is one of the only combo’s that actually loses initive points on interrupt.

Another thing: interrupt cooldown is not a good way to balance the trait. Why? Because this trait is already not that good in Large Scale. This is due the fact that mesmer doesnt have many aoe interrupts. You simpily don’t nerf a skill by nerfing it’s weakest aspect in the game.

After the fix of the stomp/ressing I highly doubt this trait even needs a nerf. It’s only good at 1 thing and that’s interrupting. As listed in the link I’ve already shown how few worthy skills actually work with this trait. Nerfing it would make it as good as the torment on shatter. Yeah, exactly, not worth picking in any meta.

in Mesmer

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Power block I see as a self-balancing skill – sure, you can spam it in PvE and you will actually score interrupts through defiant – but if you’re just interrupting everything you see a boss casting, you’re not really using it properly. As an example – some rT guys experimenting with it interrupted Lupicus’ grub attack and then he kicked immediately afterwards. Double kicks normally are so rare (since he kicked prior to the grub summon) it can throw people off balance – so spamming the skill kind of punishes the person doing it right there. At the same time however – if you interrupt his AOE life drain skill you basically no longer require the whole party to run out until he stops draining. If somebody is too far away and he goes to spawn a bubble – you can interrupt this too. The key thing to note is that in the 30/30 you will still only have three charges on the daze mantra – so it’s not like you can just stunlock bosses.

Some bosses have very fast tells too – so it’s not always possible to interrupt. My connection ranges from like 150ms to stupid numbers like 600ms, so the interrupt playstyle while extremely fun (judging from guildies’ reactions to it and playing in the same group as them, it’s pretty crazy) and able to make you a complete god at pug carrying is still something that requires a very solid connection – and again, in addition to the self-balancing of limited number of interrupts in the class, it’s skill capped too – you need to know what tells to look out for and to have the reflexes to cast an interrupt in time (if you do it too late the boss does an attack anyway).

I honestly feel the trait is perfectly fine the way it is – in addition to the things I’ve mentioned above it also means not using empowering mantras, so simply using power block right there is a trade-off between higher damage and a smoother fight. It emphasises the control (and the supportive nature of control) aspect of this game’s “trinity”, and from what I’ve seen on the forums seems to allow ex-GW1 mesmers to have a playstyle a bit more like how the mesmer used to be in GW1 – that being a very reflex-based, controlling, skill denial-centric playstyle. Defiant I honestly feel is fine in this game (it prevents bad players from just spamming CC skills, we’ve all been in events or groups with that bearbow ranger point blank shotting the boss for no reason whatsoever because the defiant just happened to drop off at the wrong time) – but having fringe skills – and making those skills either long cooldown (basilisk venom) or limited uses (power block) to break this rule I honestly think is fine. It doesn’t even cost anything to re-gear to “control gear” (so as opposed to how the warrior meta shifted where if you’re using 30/25 still you now need to use strength runes which are 10g/ea, you need to do no such re-gearing with the mesmer trait) and it fulfills the goal Josh Foreman wanted to do with the new open world bosses – to improve the skill level of the average player – since it’s a trait you can’t just dump on and suddenly be strong, it takes skill to be able to use it properly.

So …

10/10 for the trait – keep it as is.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

I’d actually play this game again if Power Block continues to work as it currently does.

Right now I’m playing Smite and the balance there is light years ahead of the balance in GW2, and Smite has something like 50 different characters.

in Mesmer

Caelus.7139

I’d actually play this game again if Power Block continues to work as it currently does.

Right now I’m playing Smite and the balance there is light years ahead of the balance in GW2, and Smite has something like 50 different characters.

I don’t think a MOBA is a good point of comparison….

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

MOBA < – > MMORPG

It is quite like apples and carjacks.
I mean, the genres usually don’t even try to be like one another, or even aim for the same type of player.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlayerUK.5029

SlayerUK.5029

I feel like a GW1 res control ranger again

in Mesmer

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

Agreed. This is how traits SHOULD function. They should add new play options. Currently, Power Block adds new play options, and all the interrupts require heavy weapon/utility investment to keep up so there’s a natural trade-off in utility and damage.

It also introduces new ways to handle PVE encounters which is something the game SEVERELY needs.

Power Block and Maim the Disillusioned stand up well. Every other new GM Mes trait is lacking.enough to make it interesting. Even Triumphant Distortion has ICD and doesn’t even work with related distortion traits like Masterful Reflection, making it not worth GM tier status at all.

Keep Power Block close to how it is now. Please. We’re all freaking tired of running PU to death.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: El Lolita.9132

El Lolita.9132

KEEP IT LIKE THIS.

It is in fact a good move toward a better developed game diversity and gameplay quality.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroathiest.4168

Pyroathiest.4168

So where did any dev say that

a) currently bugged
b) going to be Hot fixed

I received this information from Supcutie, who received it from Grouch.

in Mesmer

Posted by: clipnotdone.9634

clipnotdone.9634

It happened, kitten shame really.

25/90 never forget.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Yeah it was to be expected, but it’s still sad. I mean I agree the trait needed a nerf, but to entirely remove it was the wrong thing, really. I’d rather have the +interrupt-uninterruptable-stuff than the +5s duration. I’d go one step further:

Power Block
You can now interrupt skill which normally cannot be interrupted. However, when you interrupt any skill it is only put on half cooldown.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

Now we can’t lock thieves’ skills. Well done, Anet, my mesmer can be abandoned for another year or so.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phent.9350

Phent.9350

Now all gm traits are crap, i want some statement from devs how the kitten we supose use them, i want to see the movie how they make build and play in tPvP with decent team. Power Block was only one that fell nice, was entery to the build diversity, other traits was dull an useless on relase(especialy Disruptor’s Sustainment this trait is the splap in the face, rather joke than something usefull)

[None] mesmer/ele/engi/thief/necro