What elite spec do we want next?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

With a-net telling that they are working on a next expansion, it is natural to assume another elite spec. So far it feels like elite specs were meant to open the class to a role/position they couldn’t fulfill before. Ranged and selfish combat for DH, team fighting for reaper and chronomancer, etc…

So what role would you like for the next mesmer elite spec?

For me, there are a few roles which I would like to improve on. The first example is phantasm-free sustained damage. Sadly, I don’t see how this can be done at the elite spec level, so I feel this should be fixed at the core level (as usual see my suggestions in my signature).

So instead, my second idea would be mobile support. Mesmer has many good support tools, in particular wells and glamours. However, those are almost always ground targeted. Mantras are the closest thing to mobile support, with AOE cleanse and traited AOE heal. You could even include AOE stab, but this mantra is mostly good for the short CD stunbreak, not the AOE component. So I would really like an elite spec allowing that, with skills like shouts or anything functionally similar. Many of us have suggested a music-themed elite spec, so shouts and warhorn offering support skills could work.

What do you think?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Loony.3714

Loony.3714

Given chrono really pushed us into a support role, I would like to see a more damaging elite spec. As we all know mesmer dps is really sad, like really really sad, and I want some way to improve it. We have pretty great burst but our sustain is really lacking. While im not sure how to accomplish this, and personally enjoy the support role, I think a damaging role should be next.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Depends where the expansion is set.

If we go to Crystal Desert then I’d like a “Mirage” themed spec with the focus being on illusions dealing damage (maybe shatter skills get replaced for illusion enhancements so burst damage is much less, but sustained damage is boosted significantly) and themed around being elusive.

(edited by Curunen.8729)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Whatever the mechanics, needs to have mace mainhand !

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

Whatever the mechanics, needs to have mace mainhand !

Hmm, tough choice between Moot or Astralaria tbh – I wouldn’t mind Axe mainhand.

(Or mainhand Focus!)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Mad deeps.

Doubt they will do a big phantasm rework for an elite spec (or ever) but with a combination of traits, replacing F1-4 and a new weapon something decent could happen. Obviously it would need its own version of Time Marches on or easy uptime of swiftness.

As for a weapon I want either
*A hammer with high damage and mobility and some ranged aoe. Mostly because its a 2 hand melee but it could look pretty good with some magic animations twirling it around and holding it like a staff when not attacking.
*A Rifle. Pretty much the oposite with hammer here as I want it mostly for looks but It could be a good long range dps weapon with ranged aoe. With this you would need good traits and skills to buff up 1h Sword though.

Not sure on utilities but we will need swiftness, condi cleanse and depending on the weapon and what they do to shatters with the spec we will need more aoe.

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i think for our next theme is will be bruiser

support we got
dmg we got (need to buff it)
condi we got
bruiser we dont

so with shouts or trap (with stealth) we can sustain the fight combine with illusions

how to fixed them – give them more health

so soi give 50%, insp line 20%, so maybe the new elite will doable it . as we cannot choose 2 elite so no CP. so it will be ok to have 1 phantasm

now the concept probably wont match anet goals as they state they want mesmer to shatter more. but who knows.

the bruiser will handle 1v1 on point. some 1v2 and can do dmg. i see lots of similarity to scrapper with defender , block, evade, reflect stealth, moa

weapon will be hammer i guess to puts us in melee

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

support we got
condi we got
bruiser we dont

so with shouts or trap (with stealth) we can sustain the fight combine with illusions

so soi give 50%, insp line 20%, so maybe the new elite will doable it . as we cannot choose 2 elite so no CP. so it will be ok to have 1 phantasm

now the concept probably wont match anet goals as they state they want mesmer to shatter more. but who knows.

the bruiser will handle 1v1 on point. some 1v2 and can do dmg. i see lots of similarity to scrapper with defender , block, evade, reflect stealth, moa

We already have a bruiser build, it is called condi chronomancer. High sustained pressure, high survivability, this is by definition a bruiser.

In general, chronomancer has many tools to be a bruiser. Shield is the main example for on point defense. But while it does not quite work, danger time for higher crit chance while using low-crit chance (because more defensive) amulets is a bruiser trait, which made sense while using the (RIP) crusader amulet.

On the other hand, damage we don’t. We have burst, nothing else. You can’t damage in WvW or in a team fight because illusion die. Even with 100% more health, they will die. We need to remove damage from phantasm, I don’t see any other way around that to balance our damage in large fights.

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

support we got
condi we got
bruiser we dont

We already have a bruiser build, it is called condi chronomancer. High sustained pressure, high survivability, this is by definition a bruiser.

In general, chronomancer has many tools to be a bruiser. Shield is the main example for on point defense. But while it does not quite work, danger time for higher crit chance while using low-crit chance (because more defensive) amulets is a bruiser trait, which made sense while using the (RIP) crusader amulet.

On the other hand, damage we don’t. We have burst, nothing else. You can’t damage in WvW or in a team fight because illusion die. Even with 100% more health, they will die. We need to remove damage from phantasm, I don’t see any other way around that to balance our damage in large fights.

i hardly see condi mesmer now. thief and rev and warrior just eat them so only the good ones play it.

with carrion its not bruiser its condi build. bruiser will hold points while doing good dmg.

thus i think bruiser will be created. so the only dmg can come from illusion like or doable the illusion health, or give them more dmg. like when you shatter you illusion (even clone) will do final attack which if hits does 100% dmg and than its shatter (not run to the enemy to do dmg)

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Been thinking about this for a few months and have a write up on an elite spec idea that wasn’t finished. I might just post what I have tonight even if it isn’t fully done.

For me, there are a few roles which I would like to improve on. The first example is phantasm-free sustained damage. Sadly, I don’t see how this can be done at the elite spec level, so I feel this should be fixed at the core level (as usual see my suggestions in my signature).

I don’t think they will do a rework at this point. I think the best place for a DPS buff to Mesmer is an elite spec. Since Chrono keeps getting base Mesmer nerfed, I’ve accepted the elite spec power creep. That isn’t going to change. Base mesmer won’t get buffs or chrono will ruin it even more.

We have pretty great burst but our sustain is really lacking. While im not sure how to accomplish this, and personally enjoy the support role, I think a damaging role should be next.

Mad deeps.

Doubt they will do a big phantasm rework for an elite spec (or ever) but with a combination of traits, replacing F1-4 and a new weapon something decent could happen.

Not sure on utilities but we will need swiftness, condi cleanse and depending on the weapon and what they do to shatters with the spec we will need more aoe.

So idea I had:
F1 and F2 are now pulsing AOE. Burst is lower but the sustain DPS becomes higher. This also means the elite spec can buff phantasm/other mesmer damage more without making them “OP” in PvP with high burst and sustain DPS in infamous 6/6/6/6/6 builds.

Example utility: Illusion of Weakness: 1 sec cast time. Gain self weakness, current phantasms do 30-40% more damage for X time. Would be mostly useless in PvP but gives a nice buff to PvE dps. Other utilities would be selfish in different ways.

Pistol/Pistol: Heavily focused on interrupt and damage with little defense. With DD it would be an interrupt/DPS snowball weapon set.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tofer.8096

Tofer.8096

I just want a bow.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Incognito.3529

Incognito.3529

I want specialization with kits in form of Phantasmal weapons (Shiro from Fate/Stay says hi). Making weapon by using pure energy and willpower are really cool idea in my opinion.

What can be worst possible thing to happen? Minstrel specialization. 1-2 years more as support machine? How about different roles? Please?

(edited by Incognito.3529)

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

Yes, to all of you who don’t want “yet another support” elite specialization, I agree, I would like to have a DPS specialization.

And while I think this should be fixed for the core class, I also guess it won’t happen. This is a significant rework, and they have rarely or ever done that (you could consider the big trait rework, yet they did it because they had to, to be able to have elite spec).

My question is how to have an elite spec for sustained damage?

I don’t think increasing the phantasm DPS is a good idea at all. For the health of the class, we should not put even more of our damage on AI, especially since this prevents our damage to work in WvW or PvP.

An elite spec can change the shatters to reduce the burst and thus make high sustained damage less problematic. But an elite spec cannot change weapon skills to increase their damage coefficients, so we would either be forced to use the new weapon or have insane damage multipliers in the traitline or in some mechanics.

One thing which could work (but is against the current mesmer design) would be to have a damage multiplier (from a trait or a mechanic) which would be smaller for each active illusion (an inverse Compounding Power on steroids). While I don’t see a-net implementing this, this would be great in places where you cannot have illusions anyway or you simply don’t want to spend time casting them (you want immediately good DPS).

One thing which I also suggested long time ago is to have the shatters work like signets: a passive and an active effect. For F1 for example, the passive could be a damage multiplier and the active a burst damage (like current mind wrack). F2 same with condi, F4 a mini-regen, F3 I don’t know.

How do you think we could increase our sustained damage (and if possible in a non-AI dependent way) with a new elite spec?

(edited by Silverkey.2078)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Incognito.3529

Incognito.3529

How do you think we could increase our sustained damage (and if possible in a non-AI dependent way) with a new elite spec?

“Chaos by itself are unpredictable, volatile. It can empower you, but for what price?”

New specific mechanic of Chaos Reaver its reversion of illusions and shatter effects. Mind Wrack changed to Mind over Matter. For activation you don’t need to shatter phantasms or clones, in fact you cant do this anymore. You deal more damage with every second and rapidly lose health (Remember Arah p1 Crystaline Entity fight?). Cry of Frustration become Absolute Configuration which increase your movement speed and ability to ignore some amount of target’s armor but also make you more and more vulnerable.

Wait, you cannot shatter clones? What?

Yes, you cant’. Unstable phantasms have very low health and losing it like necromancer’s jagged horros, but they do more damage, they faster and cast time are reduced.

Basically its mirrored version of mesmer. And funny enough, now WE need support and healing in order to show great dps, however even without it, in short fights we become much more effective. Yeah, no more slowpoke mode in open world content.

(edited by Incognito.3529)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

What we want:
More dps
Another main hand weapon
Removal of clones

What we will get instead:
Some new group hug gimmick
Another offhand weapon
More bunker skills
Another shatter f5
Half the trait tree taken up by clone traits/modifications
Future nerfs to baseline Mesmer

Bonus: “Fixed a server crash.”

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

(edited by Ananeos.4587)

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Gunslinger…main hand pistol…all power….gets rid of cruddy phantasm mechanic….allows us to output 25k dps

wakes up

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

I think mesmer already covers most of the roles in the game, though some of them have been nerfed so hard they aren’t that valid.

The two areas where we lack the most are sustained damage and our input in big scale fights. But it’s not like we lack the sources to achieve that, the issue is these sources are very underpowering compared to what other professions have.
Take wells and compare it to necro’s. Calamity small hits are utterly trash, and this is the most offensive well we have…
Sustained damage: GS AA is a joke. Sword AA is a joke outside pve where there’s a boonfest all over the place. Clones directly deal no damage…

There’s more need for a rework of some mechanics and an improvement across core specializations rather than a new elite.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I think mesmer already covers most of the roles in the game, though some of them have been nerfed so hard they aren’t that valid.

The two areas where we lack the most are sustained damage and our input in big scale fights. But it’s not like we lack the sources to achieve that, the issue is these sources are very underpowering compared to what other professions have.
Take wells and compare it to necro’s. Calamity small hits are utterly trash, and this is the most offensive well we have…
Sustained damage: GS AA is a joke. Sword AA is a joke outside pve where there’s a boonfest all over the place. Clones directly deal no damage…

There’s more need for a rework of some mechanics and an improvement across core specializations rather than a new elite.

Sword is a joke even in PvE to be honest.

Both Silverkey and I have been saying about mechanics needing change and improvements in other threads till we’re blue in the face and I believe you’re spot on there.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Really surprised I haven’t seen anything specific for MH pistol, used to be the big thing it seemed most mesmers wanted most.

EDIT: I see apharma’s there, gunslinger could be cool.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Step.1285

Step.1285

I would love an elite spec that touches on the following two areas that haven’t been explored enough on Mesmer yet IMO:

1.) Deception. What lured me to this class in the first place was the idea of being a slippery, deceiving class that hides behind the safety of his illusions. I loved the idea of giving my enemies trouble figuring out which one is the “real me”, and skills like Decoy and Mirror Images made me really excited about the class.

Over time, I realised that Mesmer’s trickery doesn’t work on all but the lowest tier of PvP gameplay, and that Mesmer was a different kind of beast to what I’d originally envisioned. I still love Mesmer’s support role and nifty tools like Portal, but I do admit to an irresistible smirk every now and then during the very rare moments that I manage to fool people with my clones.

An elite spec that pushes that deception facet further would be a dream come true for me. Skills like “Gain stealth, break stun, and leave a downed clone at your location”, “Swap places with your target”, etc would be great. I want to feel genuinely rewarded for attempting to deceive my enemies, as opposed to my clones being nothing more than shatter ammo.

Of course, an elite spec that focuses only on deception wouldn’t be particularly exciting for PvE, so on top of that it should also focus on some other aspect, such as…

2.) Sustained damage. As others have said, Mesmer is on the low end of the DPS spectrum. This would be fine if not for the fact that practically every other class with high support capabilities (Warrior, Ranger, Revenant, Elementalist) also has builds that provide good to great DPS. Granted, Mesmer’s support is arguably the best the game has to offer, but most of it is tied to the Chronomancer spec, so if a new spec focused on damage, we’d have to lose Chronomancer’s support for it.

More specifically, I’d like to see some kind of playstyle that encourages us to interact with our clones/phantasms, as opposed to dropping them near us and having them deal AFK DPS (as I presume that’s one of the reasons why ArenaNet seems so intent on not giving phantasms better DPS).

For instance, one idea I’ve been toying with is axe main-hand which has a skill that throws an axe which bounces off the enemy and lands somewhere near the caster, perhaps denoted by a white AoE that only the player can see, similar to the Chickenado event of Dry Top. If you catch it, the cooldown of the axe throw skill is refunded (think Draven from League of Legends).

However, axe clones you cast also throw an axe every couple of seconds, and if you catch THEIR axes, the cooldown gets refunded too. The more clones you have out, the harder it is to keep up with all the axes, but the more damage you’ll deal. You’ll even be rewarded for timing your clone casts properly in such a way that you can keep up with catching all their axes. The axe throw could also apply some kind of unique stacking debuff which is refreshed every time they get hit by the axe throw. This’ll give Mesmer high sustained single-target DPS that takes a while to ramp up and actually forces you to interact with your illusions as opposed to absentmindedly dropping new ones now and again.

Anyway, just an idea I’ve had. Would be cool to have an elite spec that focuses on the above two aspects, as it’ll introduce some options for niche areas in the Mesmer’s kit.

in Mesmer

Posted by: HumanComplex.1648

HumanComplex.1648

Always wanted a dagger mes for dps but started thinking about hammer and making a “Jester” spec off that (think Harlequin from Batman). I was thinking it could be cc centric but we have a good amount of cc already. I think its a good theme just don’t know what to make the general mechanics…that we dont have already. Maybe introduce a boon (as if we need more at this point, i know i know)that increases condi duration? You could get it if you score an interrupt or a dodge?

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

I just wanted to add that the reason I think the sustained damage should be fixed at the core level is not just that I want core mesmer to be relevant: the reason is that if you fix the damage only with an elite spec, all other elite specs will not benefit from it.

For example, you will never be able to be a chronomancer with good damage. Now that may be a good thing. After all chronomancer is already strong in PvE despite its abysmal damage. But the shield is probably the best weapon for a bruiser role (PvP) or in a big fight in WvW, yet we cannot go there because we have no damage (and not that good utility) to bring.

Another way to phrase it is that all elite spec will be relying on a faulty core class. We all know how chronomancer works in great part because it fixes (at least partly) some of the inherent flaws of mesmer (e.g. chronophantasma so that shattering does not completely destroy your illusions); will every single elite spec have to create new clever ways of fixing the bad designs of core mesmer or maybe it is time to fix core mesmer at the core mesmer level?

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

Really surprised I haven’t seen anything specific for MH pistol, used to be the big thing it seemed most mesmers wanted most.

MH Focus > MH Pistol.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Shortbow with good DPS skills and a sort of Arcane Archer-y thing going on would be nice. Dreamer just fits Mesmer too well not to be accessible by Mesmers.
So yeah, DPS and some mobility in it (bit like how the Ranger shortbow has Quick Shot)
I just hope whatever it is, it’s Power oriented. I’m just not a fan of condi.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dammerung.6419

Dammerung.6419

I’ve been thinking about this a lot!

I would definitely like to see a dps spec to bring our personal dps up. For that I thought up a ritualist. You’d get mainhand throwing daggers (I didn’t want another melee range weapon) and traps. Phantasms do no physical damage now, however, you get a baseline increase in personal damage and you can sacrifice them via shatters for even more personal/(group? perhaps traited?) dps boosts. More clones/phants would mean longer duration of the buff and/(or?) stronger dmg modifiers. The shatter skills would be reworked into “sacrifices”. Mind wrack would be the dmg modifier, cry of frustration would be a condi dmg modifier, the other two I am still thinking on, but probably similar in flavor to their shatters. The traps would be single target for pretty devastating damage, and some mid-range aoe splash damage. I think an elite trap that buffs dps against a target for X seconds would be interesting. We are trying to sacrifice someone, after all.

I also really like the idea of a buff/debuff specialization as a bard. We would get shouts and warhorn offhand. Shatters would become songs. I still need to flesh this out, but I love the idea. I just really want to be a bard :O

in Mesmer

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

I would like to see a Elite DPS spec that is focused on not using Phantasm, it would have a mechanic that consume your phantasm and lock that phantasm counter so you can’t summon it while it is locked, and it would give you some kind of buffs to compansate for the phantasm loss. Each shatter skill would give a differente kind of buff and lock the phantasm counter. So you could mix the buffs or for example have the 3 phantasm counter locked for the same buff to get a better especific effect.
It would be an enchanter type of espec, it would consume the phantasm to enchant you or your weapon with effect/buff. New weapon would be axe or piston MH

in Mesmer

Posted by: viquing.8254

viquing.8254

An elite spec who use illusion like bombs when they die ?
#OnDeathTraitTheReturnYay
(“cheesy” (= dev die to it) or not it was an interesting mecanic versus mindless spammer, and anyway there are that much “cheesy” things today so that it shouldn’t do much difference.)

On other note, we have time with chrono, maybe space with the next.

(edited by viquing.8254)

in Mesmer

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

MH Pistol! Took me a while to finally finish the write up but final thoughts on what a new Mesmer elite spec should look like that’s DPS and interrupt focused (although it does have some bunkering/condi clear support tossed in their).

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Elite-Spec-Idea-MH-pistol-Interrupt-DPS/first#post6178068

in Mesmer

Posted by: Khyber.1284

Khyber.1284

Something that doesn’t get nerfed every second.

in Mesmer

Posted by: otto.5684

otto.5684

As other posters mentioned before jumping to new elite spec, the damage generally need to e fixed and streamline for most core weapons and traits. After that, probably and elite spec that does not rely primary on shatter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: evilunderling.9265

evilunderling.9265

While I would like to see better damage dealing capabilities, I’m not really too interested in seeing an all-out DPS spec for the mesmer (or any other proferssion) personally, because just using whichever skills contribute the most damage in whatever order does the most damage is a far cry from what the game is supposed to be about. A good GW2 class design should be good in almost any role, not artificially limited to only playing a third of the game. The elementalist and tempest are pretty much the gold standard for this.

Personally, I’d probably go with cantrip as a signature skill type — polymorph type spells are commonplace among mesmers, with one NPC even successfully turning two sylvari into actual humans for a time. Of the existing cantrips in the game, two (mist form and tornado) are pretty clear examples of transformation effects, while cleansing flames, lightning flash, and armour of earth clearly have at least some transformation element to them. I think a shapeshifting-themed spec for mesmer would be interesting, and cantrips seem like a natural choice of skill line to fit with that.

Hammer would be an interesting choice of specialisation weapon — since most of our weapons are ranged, a melee weapon seems like a good choice, and the Juggernaut seems rather fitting for a mercurial shapeshifter archetype.

For the profession mechanic, the best I can think of is having F5 reduce your active illusions to a new profession resource and temporarily change your F1 – F4 to skills that consume the new resource. It’s a bit uninspired, but I think it can at least be made to feel good without too much trouble.

For group support, we could have another interpretation of Echo for the elite: cast Echo and if you use another cantrip within 10 seconds, you leave behind an echo. If another player touches the echo, they can cast the same spell you did by pressing the special action key.

I quite like the idea of using the special action key in class designs for example, you could have a cheap, powerful heal over time that makes boons on you stronger and longer-lasting, and harder to remove, with the downside that it also makes conditions on you stronger, longer-lasting, and harder to remove. You wouldn’t want a player to share that effect with you automatically, but using the special action key gives you a choice in the matter.

This could also be used to e.g., rework sceptre again, and there are plenty of core mesmer traits that would probably benefit from being optional procs using the raid action key.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Doubt it will matter since we’ll always be forced to take chronomancer if they don’t give the other specs alacrity.

Alacrity is too important for a group to not have.

Same case for rangers. Grace of the Land and Alacrity royally screwed rangers and mesmers having the possibility to adopt other specs/builds.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

I want an Elite specialisation that focuses on true punishment, deception and manipulation mechanics. I want to be a real thorn in the side of the enemy team. I want to be dangerous not because I can burst people down in seconds or CC them for days, but because I can undermine everything they do. I’m talking things like, applying debuffs to targets that prevent them from healing others, being able to physically move an enemy player away to another location (a bit like the interaction of portal and Unrelenting Assault) and being able to steal endurance from a target and share it with my team.

Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: pico.6402

pico.6402

I would like to see mes with a spear but on the ground, not in water. (models of weapons are there so why not).

We still get 4 shatters but they change in new attacks:
F1 – U jump/teleport to target location (maybe ground targeted) and deal damage in 360 radius – damage incres with ilusion level but U hit only 1 time,
F2 – throw U’re spear in the target hitting 5 targets in the line, spear pierce,
F3 – throw or jump to U’re target and stun him for 1 sec.
F4 – block all attacks and missles around U in 360 radius.

And spear will be our melee to mid range weapon with some mobility because with out mobility mes is dead.

in Mesmer

evilunderling.9265

Doubt it will matter since we’ll always be forced to take chronomancer if they don’t give the other specs alacrity.

You aren’t wrong, but I’m cautiously hopeful that they’ll be able to safely make the buff available to other professions by the time they announce Hyperborean Toenail.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

1. I would definetly want a mesmer without freaking illusions that just die all the time, just let them add to some resource instead. Beside that hammer frontliner with good mobility, next to no or absolutly none passive damage reduction but a lot of tricks more distortion and some sustained damage, low cooldowns on weapons and aoe, i would so like some weapon skill to not require a target.

2. No illusions. MH pistol. Chaos theme, warping space as opposed to time(you shot at opponent and he gets hit in the back, another blink like skill). Punishing enemies on whatever they do(enemy choses his own punishment)(if you move you lose health, if you cast something your allies are interupted, if you dont cast anything your next cooldown is +20, if your standing still damage you do is halfed,…) Maby these could be bound to f1-f4/f5 keys

3.No illusion. f keys add pasive effects for a period of time depending on how much resouce(illusions that are just resource not acctuly summoned) you have. Also pulsing to allies for the time its acctivated(maby a trait option). F5 some kind of form skill similar to that of necro, just that you are wearing like a suit of phantasm armor. While in this form you can perform skills that phantasms normaly have + detonate your suit.

Sry for bad language and lack of formating, but this was just some basic brainstorming.
Hoppefully i got my idea through, NO ILLUSIONS.

in Mesmer

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Alacrity is too important for a group to not have.

Same case for rangers. Grace of the Land and Alacrity royally screwed rangers and mesmers having the possibility to adopt other specs/builds.

What if we end up getting an elite spec with something similar to grace of the land? GM Trait: every time a phantasm attacks, your phantasm also give an AOE 4% bonus in damage around that phantasm (stacks 5 times). Is alacrity really going to be that mandatory that the new elite spec is unwanted?

What if the group already has sufficient alacrity? I want an elite spec that will at least be OK to take as a DPS substitute if I too want to bring another Mesmer to the group. What if the new Mesmer elite spec does more DPS than an ele in some circumstances? Those 10 necro raid groups are doing fine without alacrity and grace of the land. So no, you won’t be forced to take Chrono if a new elite spec is efficient enough in doing damage or healing/buffing the team in other ways.

What the elite spec really needs to do is give us diverse play styles. Reaper shroud is perfect in that sense. It’s same but different. F5 just gave us more of the same. More so than any new weapon we choose, we need new shatters so that regardless of what weapon given, the class will get a new play style.

in Mesmer

evilunderling.9265

Sry for bad language and lack of formating, but this was just some basic brainstorming.
Hoppefully i got my idea through, NO ILLUSIONS.

I’d certainly love to see shatters and illusions overhauled to something very different to what we have now, but no illusions at all would destroy the entire concept behind the profession.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i vote spear. something with that. i’d love to see what mesmer can do in melee.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

I’d like an Elite Spec that doesn’t get nerfed to kitten in three months because of PvP whining.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: Loony.3714

Loony.3714

I could see something like, “the mesmer forgoes illusions for magical constructs.” And get something kind of like the green lantern, make purple swords rain from the sky or instantly raise illusionary walls people cant get past. Then shatters blow those up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

My mesmer will never be complete unless they have the Moot in the main hand, Quip in my off hand, and the Dreamer as my secondary.

I’d like short bow for the dreamer first though

As for an elite it should be something NOT based on shattering for instance the chrono outclasses the basic mesmer partially because the chrono can pull off additional shatters. If the new class has mechanics that beat the old two in shattering output then whats the point of using the others?

It shouldn’t add to our F1-4 skills it should replace them with something else completely.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The chrono outclasses mesmer because virtually the entire chrono line has fixes for the core mesmer.

$thatters (this’s site has a complete POS absurd censor) are garbage that gut your DPS by killing Phantasms? Chronophantasma is there, which should have been baseline to begin with.

Clone replacement/generation without Deceptive Evasion? Chrono’s got it.

Some modicum of AoE, even if it’s still crappy? Wells got you covered.

Time Warp a crappy uptime of Quickness compared to Guardian shout? NP, new Chrono shatter fixes that by effectively halving Time Warp’s cd.

Crhono also got quickness and projectile protection on sheild, while most of the other mesmer offhands except for offhand sword are garbage.

So, yeah, instead of fixing the core issues with the class, they just loaded some band aid fixes on the specialization tratiline and gave us a group buff to make up for the fact we do a pitiful 13.7k DPS while the other classes are doing 28k+ DPS.

But hey, Diversion and Cry of Frustration still suck, and the damage of shatters is pitiful compared to the damage of other ramp up skills like Eviscerate, Arcing Slice, and Mindwrack even does less damage than a thie’f autoattack chain.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryouzanpaku.1273

Ryouzanpaku.1273

What can “comfort” you is – if there will be a new elites it will take at least few years…

Player plays the game. MetaKitten plays the DPS meter on the golem.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taltevus.3289

Taltevus.3289

Phantasm support. I.e. I want the class to have intelligent Phantasms…THAT DON’T despawn on target death/change.
Double Spawning Phantasms.
Assigning illusions to specific enimies.

Then I can harass the fire out of rangers and that stupid pet.

—you lnow…the way the “ORIGINAL” mesmer class was shown in these trailers.

Here let me help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiWcN0jmWiE

God…looking back so much wasted potential.

Wish any individual part of the forums looked as good as the youtube comment section for that video.

Sure the game is a great state right now. Lol.

—but, mes…yeah like chris brown like it post to be.

(edited by Taltevus.3289)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

I’m sure someone has suggested this before but the search is still broken on these forums.

I have no preference for a new usable weapon type or even if there is a need for one.

If there is a new trait line, let it be loaded with traits to make mesmer viable melee damage dealer in large scale WvW combat.

A damage dealer without AI controlled easily killed illusions:

Specter

• Shatters are replaced by phantasm skills based on what weapons and utilities you have equipped
    • Equipping greatsword+staff grants you Imagined Burden skill on F1 and Mage Strike on F2
      • Equipping also Phantasmal Disenchanter grants you Slash on F3
    • Equipping sw+f+sc+t and both phantasm utilities grant you F1..F6 skills
  • Weapon swap does not affect on available shatter skills
  • Creating clones grant you phantasm effect which greatly increase damage or efficiency of shatter skills.
    • Stacks max 3 times, consumed on shatter
    • Each stack changes your appearance towards transparent pink
    • Profession specific effect, not a boon
  • Shatters can be activated same time as normal skills creating interesting combos:
    • Blurred Frenzy with Imagined Burden to slice through an enemy zerg in WvW while evading attacks
    • The Prestige with Illusionary Sword Attack to leap to your target for the explosion
  • Activating any phantasm summoning skills reset cooldown of corresponding shatter skill
  • Traits affecting phantasms also apply to you:
    • Empowered Illusions – you deal more damage
    • Phantasmal Fury – you gain pulsing Fury (eg. 5s every 25s for each shatter skill you have equipped and off cooldown)
    • Sharper Images – you inflict Bleeding on critical hits
    • Persisting Images – you have increased health and pulsing Retaliation
    • Protected Phantasms – you gain pulsing Protection and shatter skills grant you 1s of distortion
Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in Mesmer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Tanky chaos aura share elite spec.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tappajabob.5983

tappajabob.5983

The Bard

New mechanic – Play instrument:
F5 to swap into your bard instrument, weapon skills are replaced by support AoE skills.

New skills: Shouts that support allies or weaken enemies

New weapon: MH dagger with ranged autoattack, summon phantasman and semi-backstab.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryouzanpaku.1273

Ryouzanpaku.1273

Self Centered SOB.

New mechanics:
- maximal number of illusions is 5
- quickness and alacrity you provide affect only you and your illusions.

/sarc off

I simply want good personal dps spec for my mesmer….

Player plays the game. MetaKitten plays the DPS meter on the golem.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Unterkiefer.8372

Unterkiefer.8372

Enchanter:
-Change shatter to be buffs and debuffs. (No dmg)
-Become phantasms (like elementalist weapons. gs phantasm gives you war-skills and so on )
-no new utilities/weapons needed
-happy me

Lem Semmel [SF]

Sorry for shattering your illusions