What is your best solo story?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Archaeneoso.8461

Archaeneoso.8461

For me it was logging out one day by mistake in the area in Malchoir where you fight Lyssa.

I didnt realize it, but I was inside the control point where you have to take down the stone walls.

When I came back, the walls were up, and it was me vs 4 of the kitten flying knights.

It was a blast. Between Decoy and torch 4 (i was torching it at the time) I managed to stay alive indefinitly, while they just kept coming. You have to use dodge like a madman, and have the clones appear when dodging for it to work out, but that was probably my best solo effort. I am not sure another class could have done it, and I know I couldnt have done it in another class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rolyate.6753

Rolyate.6753

I think I’ve just found something to try when I finally make the push to 80.

Rolyate
How do you pronounce your name?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Oh man….

I was running around with a Ranger friend of mine… I was set up for max survivability at the time. I was running with offhand torch for prestige and the mage, decoy, mirror images, and phantasmal… guardian? I’m bad at names, but the guy that takes half damage.

Main hand I had the scepter, for making multiple clones, plus the main hand parry… plus confusion, and my weapon switch was staff for chaos storm and chaos armor.

For traits, I had included the one that grants you a clone on dodge, and the one that grants you a clone and cloaks you when you hit 25% health, and the +33% confusion duration.

so, we were running around, and stumbled into this dredge vault area with a dwarf door; I happened to have two dwarf keys and I said, “Hey, how much you want to bet this is the door these keys are meant for?”

now, we had just got done cleaning out dredge, but they were respawning fast. We had finally cleared them out, I opened the door, and out comes a veteran destroyer troll with a handfull of destroyer crabs.

And the dredge respawned.

It turned into a pitched, frantic, desperate three way battle, and my ranger pal went down fast. Meanwhile I was spinning out illusions as fast as I could, dodging, laying down chaos storms and armor, retreating, running in, trying to break tracking off me and get them fighting each other….

Eventually, I won. My comrade sat there defeated the entire time watching.

now, with that in mind, he also does a LOT more damage than I do. Where survival hasn’t been an issue, he takes down the enemies before I can barely touch them. But where survival HAS been the issue, I’ve outlasted him nearly every single time.

Mesmers are fantastic! You have to be blindingly fast on your feet, spinning out illusions like there’s no tomorrow, but if you do it right….

And even when downed, if you get a lucky teleport with Skill #2, you might end up hidden behind a barrier and able to completely recover without them retracking on you, something that, as far as I’m aware of, no other profession can brag about.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

I have a few. Most recent one was a DE I did with maybe 4 other people. After the first one completed uneventfully a champion came along. One guy saw it and ran. It proceeded to kill the other three in rapid succession. I killed it on my own, and had time to rez two of the other guys in the process, but they promptly died again. When it was over I got a message from the warrior “What ARE you?”

in Mesmer

Archaeneoso.8461

Mesmers: We hide with pride!

A mesmer who stands still is a very dead mesmer

in Mesmer

Morfedel.4165

Tina, that’s awesome, lol, although I’ve not been able to solo champions. Veterans yes, champions no.

you really soloed a champion?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

I had a similar experience as Tina. I was in charr lands and found a cave with an event that spawned 2 giant effigies. There was a group of 3 in the area, but I was on my own. I saw them fighting one and went over to help, but ran into the other effigy. Using portal, decoy, and many dodges I kited and nearly took down the effigy alone. The other group took a while and I could see some of them down in the background. They finally finished with theirs and came over to help put the final blows on mine (one of them went down fast). After the battle one of them asked what was my class.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Morfedel.4165

portal… really? Hm, honestly I hadnt played around with that much, but I remember the trailer video… I suppose that would make you a lot more dodgy, eh? LOL

That reminds me, anyone get any good use out of blink?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Choki.6743

Choki.6743

My best solo story is when i soloed the champion fire shaman boss event in Iron marches . There i was exploring and i stumbled on the event.I thought to myself, hey ive soloed hard mobs before why not try this guy.So i engaged and the fight started really good, my illusions were aggroing him and was pewpewing with my greatsword from distance.Occasionaly people came, but they couldnt figure out that when they get close he 1 shots them. So long story short , with a 20/20/0/0/10 power build with greatsword and staff.Feedbad,nullfield,signet of insipation, the sylvari elite which spawns 6 seed turets and 1 HOUR later i managed by a miracle to kill the guy trough all of his 3 stages , by kiting, spawning illusions on dodge like a madman and using the combo fields like a baws. All i can think of is , i should try it a 2nd time with fraps ( but at lvl 80) . Mesmers are an AMAZING class, im absolutely in love.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

It depends on the type of Champ mob. Some are possible, some aren’t, some are just tedious as hell.

Edit: Most are probably possible if you have practice against its attacks.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Probably fighting Brangoire in Twilight Arbor story mode with my guildies. We kept getting wiped out by this guy’s exploding spiders, but finally managed because I survived to keep him from regaining his health while everyone else was running back from the respawn. The guildies are too proud to acknowledge my contribution, though.

I was also doing this underwater puzzle thronged with flame legion in Diessa Plateau, and a bunch of other people were doing it too (though I was already level 80, they were not). When we realized we were missing a piece and I had to go back and retrieve it, I did that. Once we opened the last section, there was a champion who promptly wiped out everyone else while I kited and used down clones to slowly bring it down. It wasn’t so challenging, since we’re so strong underwater and I had better gear, but I’m sure they were impressed.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in Mesmer

Posted by: MentalOriental.6179

MentalOriental.6179

I have a level 80 Ele and I have never felt as empowered with it as I do with a Mesmer.
I feel like we can get things done.

At Timberline Falls in Nonmoa Lake there’s a krait witch that appears at the top of the scaffolding in the middle of the area.

I was finishing up the map taking poi’s and hearts when I just could not stand her blasphemy anymore. She was shouting for about ten minutes and just wouldn’t shut up.

So I swam over there, killed my way to the top and shoved my staff into her mouth well and good with no help from any other soul.

With that done I dived back into the lake and continued my exploration in peace.

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Lol I’m only level 30 at the time and I solo’d a champion all the way to 20% life left. Mesmers are so crazy capable. I feel I can’t level in zones my level anymore. With the mesmer class, levelling in zones 6-8 levels higher feels NORMAL. O.O

Oh yeah, I’m always with blink on. Unless I’m with a team or group where I know i dont need the extra mobility/positioning, stun break, run away tactic xD. But most of the time I have it, I’m always getting out of tight spots with blink. I use it for speed and travel as well. With focus, I have swiftness for 10 seconds then i blink to cover a max distance, by then the swiftness nearly cd’d and i have covered alot of ground, and repeat.

I don’t have enough stories, because I have a level 80 ranger and as a level 80 ranger it has seen alot, built for dps but survivability as well and was also able to solo champs and miraculously survive swarm events like some kind of goddess xD

So until i max out my mesmer and have stories that are better than my ranger, will I have things to tell :P

(edited by takatsu.9416)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

portal… really? Hm, honestly I hadnt played around with that much, but I remember the trailer video… I suppose that would make you a lot more dodgy, eh? LOL

I was just trying it out at the time for a nearby explorable, but it really helped in this case because of the size of the boss and the confinement of the cave. He was so huge that portal was the only way I could dodge from before him to directly behind him and not get spanked by a big melee attack. It worked great, tho. By the time he turned and his minions caught up with me, my CDs were all back up.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Frequently. For one, it’s my stun breaker, and it’s also handy if you use a main hand sword and want to land a bunch of whacks on a boss then get to a safe distance.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in Mesmer

Archaeneoso.8461

The skill that never leaves my bar is Decoy. I cannot count the number of times it lets me fight on

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arcain.9106

Arcain.9106

My best solo story…

I’m pretty sure it was in Barradins Vault in Plains of Ashford. I was using a Sword/Pistol & Staff build with Esther Heal, Decoy, Null Field, Feedback and the Sylvari ult Take Roots. Traits would’ve been 10/20/25/10/5, giving a equal balance of condition damage (staff) and raw ramage + crit (sword/pistol)

Of course I ask for help trying to empty the vault and making the waypoint ‘uncontested’ but noone came so I try to empty it out by myself. The first mini-boss focused on ranged attacks so clearly feedback was a big help for reflecting damage AND it applied the confusion condition to his own attacks causing himself to be confused, this really helped when he does multiple attacks in succession or when I get knocked down. This also helped a bit for the mage mini-boss but it didn’t apply confusion to his attacks.
Spamming clones and phantasms took a lot of the agro from the mobs, decoy being a favourite skill for clearing all agro from me. Using the pistol #4 skill with null field or feedback made it so each of his attacks applied confusion (not sure why it says 20% chance happening, seems to be 100% ATM). Also having the Staff #2 skill Phase Retreat on a 6sec CD made sure I always had Chaos armour on as I’d use it in all my fields (Staff #5 Chaos Storm, Null Field, Feedback) reducing any damage I took.

Having gotten through all 3 mini bosses Hector was all that stood in my way. I was able to kill all the other ghosts as I fought him but sadly Hector could 1hKO me. Even though it ends in failure I still think that getting that far was my best solo story.
This build has seem me through a lot and I always end up going back to it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Moonsinger.7083

Moonsinger.7083

I’ve got a couple of stories

I was somewhere between level 30 and 40 and running through a human area when I saw a DE going on. It was one of those events where you had to free human slaves from the centaurs. I was a little nervous at first, so I got to a high ridge to have a look. I saw a warrior free one of the slaves and almost get killed, so he ran away. So when the centaurs started giving chase, I dived bombed them and started attacking the camp. I killed wave after wave of them until the warrior came back and started freeing the rest of the slaves. It was the first time I’d felt really good about my mesmer.

The next time I was running through the Iron Marches. The DE that came right after the Flame Legion destroys the Charr village had started, and no other players were around. So I started fighting the Flame Legion alone and survived for a while. A couple of other players came and tried to join, but I’m guessing they got killed because I didn’t see them after a while. More swarms of enemies showed up, and so did another player. In the end, the event succeeded, and the village was rebuilt. The other player died a few times. I didn’t.

I later got my kitten handed to me by a Krait champ on another map, though. XD

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

I think I’m starting to have stories of my own to tell now that I’m level 43 and I’ve finally gotten fully used to the Mesmer. Everything feels second nature and I have not felt so empowered and capable. Not only is leveling in zoned 6 levels higher feeling normal but today I had a DE which let me compare

In blaze ridge theres that giant crystal where three grawl shamans are performing a ritual it’s not a particularly difficult de but I couldn’t solo it on my ranger at the time. Mainly it was bc of the mass of infinite spawning elementals (with annoying cripple of course) until u get rid of the shamans, one of them being a tricky vet one. They are all level 45/46, not too many levels above me

Now my ranger has proven itself to be the toughest and most survivable character I’ve played, having some crazy dps but also staying alive in Orr and so on. But somehow it can’t multitask that well unless it is meleeing swarms, but in this case u have elementals that cripple and stuff in ur face and then shamans long range and a few grawl with long range here an there and they all aggro almost at the same time. So my ranger couldn’t handle it

This time I was with my friend but like other stories I’ve read, my friend was downed early on. Another player that tried to solo before we came was also defeated so it was down to me. 

There is no choice but ignore elementals and go for shamans or the elementals will respawn. Sooo I rushed in… Put all my illusions on one shaman at a time… Chaos storm for aoe but that’s about all I did, keep kiting moving replacing illusions constantly, decoy and blink bc I’d get crippled, feedback on shaman long range attacks… 

I don’t even know what happened, I was in tight spots… But I was taking on literally almost ten at a time… And the mesmer just keeps going and going and everything was just melting. Staff bounces, some aoe from melee sword blurred frenzy, my main target shamans were just melting so fast lol

Oh my and then the final vet boss took a little more work but with all the other shamans down I could revive my friend and then take down the vet relatively easily.

The vet killed my friend the first time, it had this pull in and immobilize sort of thing. I had to fend off some elementals and regroup

But I got aggro and got pulled in and everything on me but Mesmer blink… Is just amazing so is phase retreat lol

Staff is my favorite weapon of all time for Mesmer it is insanely wonderful my gosh. 

But yeah… Now things are second nature, u can really start to see things come together

The crazy melting dps, the aoe which had taken getting used to, the invincibility even though things are levels above. In swarm events having things second nature means I put an illusion on three diff targets with other skills like chaos storm and feedback and so forth… Things just melt xD multitasking on Mesmer is just spectacular and so wonderful and rewarding. Absolutely a superior class imo

I believe I will see a lot more amazing things in the levels to come

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ayanavi.1904

Ayanavi.1904

Level 80 Mesmer, but this story is back in my newbier days when I hadn’t found what I liked yet.

Me and a friend of mine had gone out, and I was -just- trying out Sword/Focus. My main weapon had been the staff, because it seemed a good basic thing to work with. We decided “hey, let’s take on that DE up there!”

well, we get to one of the Centaur Chieftains in the Harathi Hinterlands, and proceed to take that kitten on – just the two of us. Now for a fight like this, I should have stood back and staff’d the crap out of everything, but I was new and stubborn and wanted to use my sword… note that I am a glass cannon build. Trying to Melee. like seven centaur + a champion.

My first attempt didn’t go so well. Neither did my second or third. My friend kept bailing me out, so I didn’t die – But it was horrible. The fourth time, my friend died bailing me out and I’m just like “kitten!”

So they all bear down on me and I switched to my staff and hit chaos armor ASAP, then dropped a chaos field on me. At the time I didn’t know how combos really worked.

So all of the centaur get right up on me, I expect to go down swinging, and…. Nothing. For a second I thought I lagged, but the passive regens + aegis + protection I was getting, coupled with the cripples and blinds the enemies were getting made my class cannon squishy kitten some kind of 7s wonder tank.

Not even mentioning how awesome retaliation, poison, frost, burn and bleed was stacked together on closely grouped centaur while my auto-attack bounced.

I was so freaked out though, I hit phase retreat as soon as my armor wore off and started running – Thinking to myself “what the hell did I just do?!”

The run turned into a kite as gears started turning in my head. I theorized that if I dropped Chaos Field and put on Chaos Armor again, I could go toe-to-toe with all of the mobs. Maybe even the champion!

With this in mind I rounded them up, then turned and faced them again. Quickly blasted my set up into place, then switched over to my sword and began to carve a bloody swathe through the centaur while barely taking lasting damage. It ended, and I finished up the stacks of vulnerability with a Blurred Frenzy that just outright disemboweled most of the centaur mooks.

Feeling good and confident, I took the direct hits from the last two mobs to carve off the last bits of HP they had. But the battle wasn’t over, that champion still had my friend’s corpse near it.

I had no illusions about how hard that thing could hit me, so I wisely decided sword was a bad idea here and just switched back to staff and set up a triangle of staff clones around it, then kited along the inside of the triangle racking up stacks of fury and might from the bouncing winds of Chaos while the champion got slowly whittled down under the conditions.

Not my best solo story, though. Later on, my friend quit Gw2 and left me on my lonesome – So I ended up with a ton of awesome Solo experiences as a Mesmer, since it was my only real option and I’m mildly suicidal about what I can and can’t handle.

One time in WvW, the enemy was holding the lower left corner supply camp with two ballista. We had an entire zerg camped outside that refused to go in because the ballista murdered them.

So I was like “fine, I’ll go deal with it. Screw you guys.” and ran in.

Immediately dodge rolled forward to avoid the ballista bolts, Into The Void’d them clean off their siege weapons, and then spawned an iWarden in between the ballista just in time for that lovely phantasm to block their ballista bolts when they scrambled back to fire at me, AND whittle down their HP and the siege HP.

they killed him fast though… But when they tried to fire at me a second time, I had tossed up Feed back on them and then tossed an iBerserker onto them, making a blink-blitz right up to them and hitting GS5 to knock them off the sieges again, while the berserker crippled them.

at that point, I Mirror Image’d two more clones to fill out the last two slots of my illusions, all targeting the ballista, and Mind Wracked + Blurred Frenzy as I saw the two guy’s having reinforcements pouring in from the back door.

It was a grim certainty. I knew I was going to die – But I’d be kitten if I didn’t do what I said I would. the blurred frenzy + Mind Wrack demolished what was left of one ballista, and I frantically Auto-attacked the other one down even as they swarmed on me and killed me.

My last act in the battle was to spawn a Rogue Phantasm on the remaining Ballista, which killed it probably a fraction of a second after I died.

There was nothing as satisfying as looking up at the small group of enemies standing above me and smirking. Just wishing I could have said “You may have killed me, but now what will protect you from them?”

Moments later, our forces choo-choo trained them down and I was rez’d.

It was beautiful.

in Mesmer

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Soloing champions.. it depends on the champion and the mesmer build, but the general rule is if they spam immobilize or stun, it’s not mesmer food.

I think my favorite solo moment was getting stuck in a cave where things just kept respawning every 20 seconds.. normal mobs, vets, and even a champion. (Btw, I run GS/Sword/focus .. no staff.

It took me 20 minutes to make my way out in continuous combat.

Usually if I die to anything, it’s because I stopped to try to bring up a downed person. If I don’t stop for others, I can keep a fight going for ages. I’ve kept plenty of fights going in dungeons while 4 others ran back.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

Funny how I’m always strategizing and always last one standing for dungeons on my ranger and standing off until others make it back. I can’t wait to see what I can do with Mesmer…. oO