What weapons do you use?

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coconut Andy.6407

Coconut Andy.6407

Title. Just wondering which weapons everyone uses here? Level 60 here wondering which are the best for things like WvW

Thanks,
Andy

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shintei.9061

Shintei.9061

I use gs/sw+t or gs/staff

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

Depends on your build, really. At level 80, you have a lot of control over your stats via gear, so people specialize into Zerk builds, Condition Damage builds, &c.

Personally, I use:

• Greatsword – reliable ranged damage with good burst capability.
  • Sword/Torch – between The Prestige and Blurred Frenzy, this set gives me a number of ways to avoid damage.
  • Alternative set: Sword/Focus – for pulls using Temporal Curtain.
Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

All of them. It just depends what build I’m running as to what weapons lol

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

I use Greatsword/Staff for open world pve, nice tagging potential, and the Staff phantasm can hit like a truck vs champs that have lots of conditions.

For Dungeons I run Sword/Focus & Staff or Greatsword if range is needed.

I rarely use Scepter/pistol/torch. unless using a condition build in which case I use scepter/torch and staff.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I use a variety and tried various builds but my typical things for wvw are:

sword/sword + staff
sword/focus + staff
greatsword + staff

normally in undemanding environments it would just be standard gs + sword/focus

Imo, the mesmer is a versatile class and brings different specialities to the table and adapts to situations depending on what you’re going for. All mesmers should have every weapon in their inventory at their disposal whenever necessary

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabwa.7358

Sabwa.7358

There was a time in my mesmer career that I would swap weapons in wvw for every situation. Pistol for 1v1’s, focus to get around, torch to hide and for survivability in large fights. I was a die hard gs mesmer for a while but now i like staff a bit better and still use gs from time to time. I always use MH sword so the only weapons I don’t use much are scepter but that’s because I don’t use a whole lot of condi builds and OH sword but, like scepter, it works great in it’s own builds. I still keep most mesmer weapons in my bag for certain situations even though I stick to my favorites now (sw/f+Staff).

tldr: Play with whatever weapons you want!

(edited by Sabwa.7358)

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stievie.6128

Stievie.6128

dagger+pistol, because i realized theres no point in playing a shatter mesmer when you could just play a thief

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I keep a set of everything on any of my 80s. As for “favorite?”

• Staff/Scepter (or Sword)/Focus for most everything non-dungeon.
  • S/S and S/F or P for dungeons.

I’ll still switch out if needed, but those are my “main” sets.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: SpiritualAwakening.5347

SpiritualAwakening.5347

Like others have said, best to have at least one of every weapon (2 swords of course). There is a use for each weapon depending on where / what your doing.

I usually have sword+focus at all times. The other set is usually gs or sword+sword. Pistol or staff if I have the need. I’m not a huge fan of scepter or torch but they certainly have their uses.

Some guides at the top have a pretty comprehensive descriptions and uses for each weapon. You might find the most help there.

In the end tho, use whatever makes you happy and is the most fun!

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I pretty much never use Pistol. Tried many times in the past, in different builds – I just don’t find it as fun as the alternative choices.

And for a long time now I don’t use offhand sword either.

Apart from those two I use everything else.

Focus is my favourite weapon, especially traited.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

WvW Zerg or Smallscale/Solo?

I don’t zerg, so i can’t say anything about that, but smallscale i would prefer power builds over condi. You will have a hard time killing anything with condi, because everyone can easily walk away from you.

GS is good for its range, cripple, denying Shadow Refuge and potential Mirror Blade bursts. Staff is good for mobility (learn Phase Dashing) and group fights, but dies to rangers pretty fast. Sword generally offers good defense and juking options. I prefer torch for offhand because of stealth and traited cleanse, but all other weapons will work as well.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

“WvW” means different things to different people.

I’ve been playing gs+sw/torch power shatter in solo and small scale roaming. But also staff+sc/torch hybrid shatter for solo, or gs+staff power shatter for small scale roaming.

For group/organized fights, I played power phantasm+mantra with gs+sw/focus and gs+staff.

It really depends on your role in your group and your playstyle

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

I have purchased full set of weapons from wvw vendor (1 gold + badges) as soon as characters are at level 80. EotM is good place to level because you get the badges of honor at the same time.

At level 60 the exo wvw weapons are only power/vitality. They are better than nothing to level 80. But if you’re low of badges of honor, save badges for level 80 weapons.

Check solo fractaler for ideas of weapon use:
https://www.youtube.com/user/sanderinoa

In dungeons, I have staff. When we stack, sword 2 and focus 5 phantasm have been good.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I have purchased full set of weapons from wvw vendor (1 gold + badges) as soon as characters are at level 80. EotM is good place to level because you get the badges of honor at the same time.

At level 60 the exo wvw weapons are only power/vitality. They are better than nothing to level 80. But if you’re low of badges of honor, save badges for level 80 weapons.

Massive Massive Caveat

Any gear purchased with badges cannot be salvaged. This means that any and all upgrades you put into that gear are gone forever. Badges are a great way to get a cheap set of exotics, but I strongly recommend against doing so, because you basically forfeit ever using the upgrades you put into them for anything else.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

Oops. As warned, WvW weapons cannot be salvaged. But some players make compromise because zerk weapons are expensive. I don’t know why players want salvage expensive weapons.

Can the extractor from the gem store be used to separate the sigil and the wvw weapon?

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Can the extractor from the gem store be used to separate the sigil and the wvw weapon?

Yeah, but the extractor is far far far more expensive than any upgrade you can put into it.

As to the why, what if you eventually upgrade to ascended, or you’d like to simply use the sigil/rune on a different set? There’s any number of reasons you could want to get it back out. That being said, the majority of the upgrades I’ve put into gear have stayed, but I’m highly experienced and generally know what I want to do with a piece of gear. Newer players don’t quite have that luxury.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

If you want gear you CAN salvage, I recommend PvP reward chests for weapons. Doesn’t take but a few matches to get a weapon chest. It’s good practice for reading the map state and small-scale fights, anyway.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I’ve tried liking staff, but it does not make sense to me. Almost no damage for what, a very clunky phase retreat teleport?

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I play power shatter and have been using GS/Sword+Pistol/Torch. I used to play Staff but moved away from it as I wanted more power damage.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

usual PvE:

GS+ SW/(T, P, F or SW depending on what I need)

usual WvW:

GS/Staff + SW/(T or F depending on how big the group I’m running with is)

or

GS + Staff when I want to tag as much as possible

Most important weapon to know how to use properly in PvE:

x/Focus – learn how to pull and stack mobs with “4”. learn how to use reflect focus skills.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Calypso.2578

Calypso.2578

Title. Just wondering which weapons everyone uses here? Level 60 here wondering which are the best for things like WvW

Thanks,
Andy

Weapons I use in WvW (from most used to lease used):

GS – Sword/Torch
GS – Staff
GS – Sword/Focus
GS – Sword/Pistol
Staff – Sword/Focus
Staff – Sword/Torch

I am a 44006 shatter mesmer. I use a mixture of zerker and assassin armor/weapons (all zerk trinkets).

Kaalypzo ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

GS / Sw+F <- Fav set, lots of control and the curtain has really high number of uses to explore.

GS / Staff <- Relaxing set, reactive shatter is best here (and don’t dismiss the power of CoF with spread Staff Clones – you might get 2 dodges or lots of boon strip).

GS / Sw+S/P <- Aggressive and fun (Sword 4 is a cheeky massive 1 shot burst they don’t expect)

Staff / SW+F/P/Sw <- Fun to play, relaxing and lets you study your opponent more, reactive shatters, but lacks the ability to kill runners.

Torch is good but boring, Scepter is INCREDIBLY clunky but works in certain builds (5stack 11sec confusion wtf?!).

Last time I used torch it was vs a team with 2 Med Guard and 2 Thieves – they deserved what happened xD (Staff / Sw+T worked well vs evil evil foes – living and counter bursting makes you more relevant than a GS imo).

The BEST thing about Mesmer is the variety of offhands we have than work in so many builds – try them out and see what you like – they work in all tiers (Misha yesterday was having fun with Staff / Sw+F).

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I’m currently enjoying Staff/S+P. If I’m running with a zerg then I frequently switch out pistol for focus to help with swiftness uptime.

I’ve never really tried out mesmer competitively in wvw/eotm until just recently so I’m still figuring out what things function etc…

For PVE on my first mesmer I remember running GS/S+T as the traited torch skills are interesting, decent condi-cleanse and the GS is good for the KB and generally, the phantasm things that cripple or apparently.. ‘hit like a truck’ although I haven’t paid attention much or don’t remember it hitting that hard despite using primarily zerk/knight gear.

Just recently I did entire world completion on this other mesmer that I prefer playing using that wvw build (staff/S+P) and it was easy.

My thoughts on scepter though.. I hated it. Went to try it again and still hated it. I had a condi build set up too and it felt clunky and uhg. So each to their own.

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Puffershark.2489

Puffershark.2489

For WvW, whichever weapons I have equipped usually depend on what I’m expecting to run into. Staff and Scepter/Torch are a reeeeeeally fun combination, though, if you’re into condition shenanigannery. Here’s wishing you luck finding a set of weapons you enjoy!

What weapons do you use?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

For WvW, whichever weapons I have equipped usually depend on what I’m expecting to run into. Staff and Scepter/Torch are a reeeeeeally fun combination, though, if you’re into condition shenanigannery. Here’s wishing you luck finding a set of weapons you enjoy!

I use this combo a fair bit myself, although it doesn’t pack the wollop of power. I use it due to the ability to lay on condi’s thick while still having a toughness of over 2800 (rabid/dire mix). I know that is not a consideration for most, but as I grew older and my reflexes have diminished, it is a good combo for me, that has the added bonus of being quite forgiving.