Which legendary?

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: hazahampo.4286

hazahampo.4286

Ok so I’m just finishing up on world completion and on my clovers and I want to start thinking on what legendary is the one for me? I love to look of sunrise but How many builds use greatsword and is it viable? I mostly pve/do dungeons with my guild so I greatsword a good idea or should I go for something else?

H

Rishi The Pink-Warrior Lyss Braveheart-Mesmer

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeathReign.7821

DeathReign.7821

Wow, I would have decided on that before actively working towards a legendary lol.

Eternity looks amazing, but everyone has it.

But if you use Greatswords the most, it wouldn’t make sense to make anything else.

Lots of people scoff at the “optimal” performance of the GS in dungeons, but if that’s what you like the most, screw em and get it.

Kiss the chaos.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

hazahampo.4286

well i started working towards it because i always wanted to get one, i just wasn’t sure which one! and thanks for the quick response and think that i may just get the greatsword and let the haters hate, unless of course there is a genuine reason not to get it

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

The two reasons to not get greatsword are that it is bad on a mesmer, and that you won’t be seeing it that much because they don’t swing it around.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

I’m personally going for bifrost, and there’s a couple reasons for that.

Bifrost looks awesome, but almost as importantly, it is a varied weapon for mesmer. You can use staff in condition builds, power builds, and tanky builds, and that means you get full use out of the stat swapping capability.

Greatsword, while it looks amazing, you will only ever want it in power stats, maybe switching to something like cavalier or knight now and then, and so you really don’t get the full use out of your legendary.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zen.4678

Zen.4678

I have Bolt because clones with the sound effects are amazing. That said, it doesn’t have Giver’s stats so I don’t even get to use it as I’m currently setup QQ

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I’m still gathering mats for the torch. – i love the torch spells and i’ve never seen it ingame.

AND: It refers to gw1!

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Marsares.2053

Marsares.2053

I would never get a legendary I’d say as I can’t be bothered with all the PVE elements that are required to get it, but if I’d choose one I’d go for the Bifrost for the reasons that got mentioned above (i.e. staff can be used in the vast majority of builds).

Everyone has GS and personally I think that Vision of the Mists looks better as a GS on a Mesmer anyways.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: leng jai.2961

leng jai.2961

Vision of the Mists looks horrible because the base model is absolute garbage. Personally I don’t really like any of the legendaries Mesmer’s can wield besides the GS (which I only use in WvW) so I went with 2 Infinite Lights.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Bifrost ftw. I shoot rainbows and poop butterflies.

Attachments:

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: HDF Red.3529

HDF Red.3529

Personally, I think most of the legendaries look like crap but I was aiming for The Minstrel. Maybe the new one handed Legendaries they introduce eventually will look better than bolt.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Quip! If we ever get Dual Pistols i SO want to have Duel Quip. The others that i like we cant use (yet!) that big the Hammer and the Shield. I find the greatswords to big, being a Sylvari it looks silly as they are SO big

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Minstrel or Bolt.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

I vote Staff for similar reasons to Pyroatheist – variety.

I’d also say, if you’re not in a super rush, to wait a few months and see if new legendaries are introduced. They’ve been on the to-do list for a while and there may be some new looks that you’d love to have.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Get a legendary for the aesthetics, not the functionality. That’s why I got myself a Sunrise, and not Bolt, even though GS is largely unneeded for most content (especially dungeons) while you see your 1H Sword everywhere. Personally I’m holding off for a little while until a new 1H Sword legendary is previewed at least… in hopes that I will like the looks.

Attachments:

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: boredinbc.2786

boredinbc.2786

The two reasons to not get greatsword are that it is bad on a mesmer, and that you won’t be seeing it that much because they don’t swing it around.

We might not swing it around much, but it does copy onto your clones so that’s 4x Sunrise or Twilight. Which makes up for GS sub optimal performance if you ask me. Just don’t take it into dungeons.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Joonks.7501

Joonks.7501

Pyro’s reasons for choosing Bifrost are identical to my own. Acquiring a legendary is a huge investment in time and resources, so you should get something with as much usefulness as possible. Plus it shoots rainbows.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Actually you CAN swing it. I swing it around all the time by doing a nice little item swap trick with the Jotun Greatsword consumables from dredgehaunt cliffs LOL I got like 200 of these to do 100b and “whirling wrath” with my mesmer’s Sunrise that’s how i feel good and watch my mesmer swing it and the pretty blade trails LOL.

I also know a bunch of other tricks that makes it really really fun.

I think it’s worth it anyway, the gs looks nice just even running around, jumping around and making the blade trail behind you, and on certain maps the gs or effects in general are especially intense and it literally shines so bright, almost white, and hurts your eyes, like i.e. queensdale, malchor’s leap, etc

For looks no doubt, I’d say go with a legendary gs if you’d like the shine. If you’re not especially into the shiny-ness, then you can choose your others. I think the Quip is a winner because its so jokes and trolly and fun

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

So you can swing it, but not in any actual situation, just how there are tonics to make you look like cool creatures but you can’t use them in combat.

Personally I think if you get a legendary you should actually use it, which is why it’s better getting a greatsword on a guardian or warrior since you’ll be able to use it in all game modes and actually being useful with it, rather than “I have a cool skin of a suboptimal weapon but I’ll still use it”. I mean when I picked up my Foefire’s Essence for my warrior, sure it looks cool but in PvE I only use it for the hundred blades/whirlwind attack part of the warrior rotation and then swap it out agian.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

Yeah pretty much only for fun :P which I don’t mind at all personally lol, if I had it on warrior I’d actually be annoyed at all the blade trails obscuring parts of the fight, imo XD Really up to the person, whatever they wanna do, I don’t feel my gs is a waste at all, i’m satisfied with just running around with it and doing tricks for fun, cuz when it comes down to combat, it’s not about the animations, i’d be focused on the actual fight and doing well, i’m not really concerned bout what i’m holding XDD

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: boredinbc.2786

boredinbc.2786

Pick whatever looks the best to you. Builds can change and what is popular today could be nerfed tomorrow. But as long as you like the look and play style of the weapon you chose you will always find a reason to keep it equipped.

Be sure to check out YouTube for videos of mesmers using the legendaries. Some abilities change with them and some do not, which could lead to disappointment. For instance quip only uses pistol 5-while cool-it seems like a lot of work for one ability on a moderate cool down.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

TROGDOR!

I mean Rodgort
wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rodgort

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shifty.7104

Shifty.7104

here’s some screenies of bolt/rodgort and quip if that helps

Attachments:

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

I am having a similar dilemma, Sunrise is by far my favorite legendary, I think it looks so pretty. But Greatsword isn’t my favorite weapon for my mesmer, I actually prefer staff and sword/x. I’ve thought about getting bolt, but then I’d want two as when I go sword/sword I want my swords to match, plus bolt just doesn’t excite me, and bifrost isn’t my favorite either.

Sigh. . . looking forward to these new legendaries they are supposed to be coming out with, hopefully a staff I can love, or even better a 1h sword I can really really love.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

hazahampo.4286

Wow.. this has just made i soo much harder :p i guess lots of thinking and maybe seeing is a new meta build comes around and then just bite the bullet on what legendary to get :p

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shifty.7104

Shifty.7104

Then just do what I am doing and work on them all, should finish Meteorlogicus tomorrow

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

hazahampo.4286

I have a life to get on with as well :p

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

I am having a similar dilemma, Sunrise is by far my favorite legendary, I think it looks so pretty. But Greatsword isn’t my favorite weapon for my mesmer, I actually prefer staff and sword/x. I’ve thought about getting bolt, but then I’d want two as when I go sword/sword I want my swords to match, plus bolt just doesn’t excite me, and bifrost isn’t my favorite either.

Sigh. . . looking forward to these new legendaries they are supposed to be coming out with, hopefully a staff I can love, or even better a 1h sword I can really really love.

What’s funny is I finished levelling comfortably with my staff + sword/focus or sword/x and then i got a nice looking greatsword and i changed my build and adapted back into the gs playstyle just for the sword… LOL but now i love my gs/staff kiting build hahaha of course i still keep all those weapons handy to swap to

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

To the OP, don’t let elitist’s sway you from any fun you may have with a Legendary. If you want it, go with it. Ask others if they have the weapon you’re thinking of so you can see it in action. Or, simply watch some YouTube clips to see if you like the look.

Just know that Mesmer effects will blend over the weapon effects. You can buy something inexpensive like Cobalt to see what I mean.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

How is telling them GS is bad make us elitists?

You are why I hate this forum.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

@OP: go for Bolt, Sword/Focus (also Sw/Sw and Sw/P) is a great weapon set for Mesmer + Bolt looks awesome.

Attachments:

(edited by Jeremlloyd.6837)

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

hazahampo.4286

OK, lots of people supporting bolt, so that’s certainly back on the table, what do you guys think about getting rodgort?

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

OK, lots of people supporting bolt, so that’s certainly back on the table, what do you guys think about getting rodgort?

Rodgort is awesome, a guildie has it. Using torch in dungeons as a main weapon isn’t the best choice though for a mesmer, so I wouldn’t recommend it for that reason. I’m personally going for Bolt because I use sword in many of my builds. Bitfrost is a close 2nd for the same reason. Bolt + Anomaly is pretty sweet looking.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

I’m not the one saying anyone is elitist but if anyone has an opinion that GS is bad, i think that is an unnecessary comment. I can understand if some players don’t prefer to use it, don’t like it or whatever, but it is not a bad weapon, or a weapon for baddies etc. It’s there for our build variety. There are some people who build great builds with gs and decided on gs after mastering all the weapons. Theres many builds that are extremely risky, and compact crazy amount of dps, at the sacrifice of defensiveness i.e. with a staff or PU torch or so on, and they play that build well enough even in wvw (likely more roaming). In order to play a risky build like that well, they are not bad at all. I myself didn’t want to go with gs til a shiny skin convinced me otherwise, and then reworked myself to use it and am enjoying it and is proving to be effective. I will still switch out to other weapons when the utility needs it. But no weapon is truly bad if you can make it work, nor does it make a player bad, if they can rock the class with any weapon

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chrissy Chan.4573

Chrissy Chan.4573

I spent a lot of money on my mesmer’s weapons. I originally started out with Visions of the Mists, Whisperblade, and Spirit links because I thought they looked very…well “Mesmery.” But I’ve since replaced them all with Sunrise, Bolt, and The Minstrel.

If you’re going for weapon effects, the GS is kind of a disappointment on mesmers. You only see the weapon effect on Mirror Blade. The blade trail is there for when the weapon is unsheathed, but that applies to any profession. If you’re looking for the most useful and still “cool” (I guess) legendary, then Bolt is probably the one to go with. It’s also cheaper.

I’m quite disappointed with Minstrel, I made it pre-legendary updates in the hopes that it would have better effects, but all they really did was make the musical notes bigger. On the bright side the musical notes + Bolt’s footfalls both work at the same time.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

well i started working towards it because i always wanted to get one, i just wasn’t sure which one! and thanks for the quick response and think that i may just get the greatsword and let the haters hate, unless of course there is a genuine reason not to get it

Greatsword is wonderful on condi builds. People just don’t know how to use it. Great for W3 roaming.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

I’m not the one saying anyone is elitist but if anyone has an opinion that GS is bad, i think that is an unnecessary comment. I can understand if some players don’t prefer to use it, don’t like it or whatever, but it is not a bad weapon, or a weapon for baddies etc. It’s there for our build variety. There are some people who build great builds with gs and decided on gs after mastering all the weapons. Theres many builds that are extremely risky, and compact crazy amount of dps, at the sacrifice of defensiveness i.e. with a staff or PU torch or so on, and they play that build well enough even in wvw (likely more roaming). In order to play a risky build like that well, they are not bad at all. I myself didn’t want to go with gs til a shiny skin convinced me otherwise, and then reworked myself to use it and am enjoying it and is proving to be effective. I will still switch out to other weapons when the utility needs it. But no weapon is truly bad if you can make it work, nor does it make a player bad, if they can rock the class with any weapon

Using GS in PvE as a main weapon is a test that mesmers have to pass before actually being a decent mesmer.

Until you stop using it, you’re just bad because you’re purposely putting yourself out of boon range and compromising your DPS for zero gain besides “I’m bad and can’t dodge properly”.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Genesis Notch.1905

Genesis Notch.1905

Bifrost ftw. I shoot rainbows and poop butterflies.

Is dat … Mary J Blige :o

I am in charge of gas tanks. Tink Tink.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Using GS in PvE as a main weapon is a test that mesmers have to pass before actually being a decent mesmer.

Until you stop using it, you’re just bad because you’re purposely putting yourself out of boon range and compromising your DPS for zero gain besides “I’m bad and can’t dodge properly”.

Lol, like 90% of the PvE content is SO easy that you could do it with white gear. The ONLY time its gets a kittenallenging is the higher level Factuals and a couple of Explorable dungeons.

When i do PvE i use Greatsword, its easy, its quick and things melt. You dont need huge boon access when you are just doing random events. Even things like Jormag and such its still a walk in the park.

So saying someone is bad because a Greatsword is VERY sad, so much of the content is so easy it doesnt matter what weapons you are using, what armor you have or anything else.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

Lol, like 90% of the PvE content is SO easy that you could do it with white gear. The ONLY time its gets a kittenallenging is the higher level Factuals and a couple of Explorable dungeons.

Firstly, how is that even relevant to my point (“the content is easy so it’s fine if I’m bad!”), and secondly, if it was so easy, please show us a video or a group of speed clearers doing it. The most they’ve done is naked + accessories.

When i do PvE i use Greatsword, its easy, its quick and things melt. You dont need huge boon access when you are just doing random events. Even things like Jormag and such its still a walk in the park.

I’m on about dungeons, not the 11111111 fest that is open world. I did about two events recently and hated it, it’s so mindless.

So saying someone is bad because a Greatsword is VERY sad, so much of the content is so easy it doesnt matter what weapons you are using, what armor you have or anything else.

Again, please upload this video of you or speed group doing this “easy” content. And it’s not sad either, bads use bad weapons, unless you’ve never seen staff camping guards, rifle warriors or flamethrower engis. They are all bads.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Axyl.9408

Axyl.9408

I don’t understand why people hate on us Greatsword users. I use it because I enjoy the weapon! It has my favorite phantasm, and I like the animations with it. I also don’t like having a sword on 2 weapon sets. I like my cool downs to be refreshed upon swapping.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

The problem is when you do group content using a bad weapon on purpose.

If anyone said they were part of a WvW guild and booted some guy for using a junk spec in a raid/gvg, nobody would bat an eyelid. If some guy in a PvP team said they booted a guy from their team for wanting to use a junk spec, nobody would bat an eyelid.

For some reason, the bads think it’s fine to run lousy specs in PvE group content just because … well I don’t even know why. It’s selfish and you’re wasting not only your own, but other peoples’ time.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I went with the Meteorologicus only because I liked its look over the other legendaries, even though it is still a meh weapon for mesmers (slightly improved from this latest patch).

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Axyl.9408

Axyl.9408

The problem is when you do group content using a bad weapon on purpose.

If anyone said they were part of a WvW guild and booted some guy for using a junk spec in a raid/gvg, nobody would bat an eyelid. If some guy in a PvP team said they booted a guy from their team for wanting to use a junk spec, nobody would bat an eyelid.

For some reason, the bads think it’s fine to run lousy specs in PvE group content just because … well I don’t even know why. It’s selfish and you’re wasting not only your own, but other peoples’ time.

Picking a “bad” weapon doesn’t equate to using a bad build. Greatsword is good for lots of things! It’s our best Aoe Weapon and it’s our only viable ranged offensive weapon for power builds. Greatswords are also effective in shatter builds.

On topic: If I were to make a legendary for my Mesmer, I’d go with Bifrost. It can find a home in every build, and in both PvE and PvP

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

No, it’s good for nothing besides tagging mobs and letting bad players feel good.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Just curious, all those of you that hate on Greatsword – what do YOU run with in WvW? and what build type. I run Greatsword and Sword/Pistol, In a High crit chance and damage build.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

hazahampo.4286

Shall we try to stay vaguely on topic here? :p

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

Just curious, all those of you that hate on Greatsword – what do YOU run with in WvW? and what build type. I run Greatsword and Sword/Pistol, In a High crit chance and damage build.

I wonder how many times it needs to be explained that we’re talking about PvE.

I neither know nor care how it performs in PvP or WvW, my problem is with bads claiming it is good in PvE.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I wonder how many times it needs to be explained that we’re talking about PvE.

I neither know nor care how it performs in PvP or WvW, my problem is with bads claiming it is good in PvE.

what type of PvE?

World Bosses? = Spam, spam, spam
Dungeon Stories = Easy.
Dungeon Explore = A few tough paths, rest easy.

The only place i could see where it could matter is Factuals and even then it rarely gets that harder until the later levels. So where exactly does other weapons become better? what weapons would these be, seeing that damage > support in SO much of the PvE content.

Which legendary?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

Explorable dungeon paths.

And it matters in all dungeon paths and fractals because I like to assume people don’t like leeching off their parties.

Then again, I’m constantly told otherwise all across this forum by “play how I want” bads who like investing in pointless stats and bad traits and bad builds altogether.