Why do other classes hate us so?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

My friend started spvping for the first time recently.
Mesmer was the class he hated the most for the first couple days, and would primarily rage about it. But that was it. After those first few days, he learned the difference between a clone and the player, picked up a few tricks, and stopped having major issues with enemy mesmers.
Quite a bit of it is an L2play issue I feel, and the case with my friend demonstrates this wonderfully.

in Mesmer

Posted by: WhiteRose.6934

WhiteRose.6934

(the amount of times I have had people ask me if I am running pu when regen appears on my buff bar)

Despite being a Power based Interrupt build, I frequently get accused of being a condi based PU build.

People…

Try playing full glass cannon, no PU, and still getting called a PU baddie.

This is what PU has done to our reputation.

Genesis Theory [GT] – Henge of Denravi

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

(the amount of times I have had people ask me if I am running pu when regen appears on my buff bar)

Despite being a Power based Interrupt build, I frequently get accused of being a condi based PU build.

People…

Well,
I’m in zerkers and use CI instead of PU.

So, that’s what i’m playing.

Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Seeing how people rage when they lose to mesmer because they
a) don’t know the class well,
b) can’t stay calm, and
c) lose their wit and can’t wrap their head around what’s going on
I think Anet did a good job creating a class based on the core nature of messing with the minds.
Please stop nerfing us. xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

People…

No. This is what scrubs do to themselves. It has nothing to do with us, or the Mesmer class. You need to remember that or you’re just as bad as them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

People…

No. This is what scrubs do to themselves. It has nothing to do with us, or the Mesmer class. You need to remember that or you’re just as bad as them.

At this point, I don’t think you’re going to convince WhiteRose, Ross. I personally don’t get the “Anti-PU Crusade” folks are on. Hell, WhiteRose, do you honestly think that if PU were to overnight revert to its original state, Mesmers would have any better of a reputation?
I’d personally bet the Mes-haters would rapidly find the next thing they hate the class for. Maybe CI? Or, hell, we could go back to 2012, when they hated Mesmers for Shatter damage.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Had a warrior rage at me for using “cheat condition build”, and “cheat perplexity” even though I don’t use perplexity runes, then rage at my use of torment, as that makes me a condition build. I tried to explain it was on scepter 2 but it didn’t matter, it was cheating. If you use condi you have no skill, apparently. If you’re pure power with no condi food etc, then you’re playing with pure skill. Made me a little sad to see this guy steeped so heavily in his own scrub thinking instead of playing to win. Anyway, I decided to make a video and chat log of the whole episode.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/193x873q90/843/0rio.jpg

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Because of PU.

Literally EVERY Mesmer I encounter in WvW is running some form of PU build. And while playing PU you’d have to be afk not to win. But even while afk you’d probably have a decent chance.

PU builds, especially the condition ones, are the pinnacle of low risk/high reward game-play that is so common among condition builds.

What used to be a compelling class to fight has turned into the worst cheese spec since decap-engis in sPvP.

Stop playing PU and people might give you a little more respect.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Because of PU.

Literally EVERY Mesmer I encounter in WvW is running some form of PU build. And while playing PU you’d have to be afk not to win. But even while afk you’d probably have a decent chance.

Interesting, which tier is this? PU is rather weak for WvW, as it only excels in a situation you want to avoid (being forced in time-consuming and death-risking 1v1 combat instead of stomping enemies and taking their stuff).
I see very very few PU Mesmers, and those which are there prey on the 1v1 Thieves trying to gank them, as they’re the only ones who will come out and play. Everyone else just ignores them.

Also, how is using an effective trait (for the situation, 1v1 versus someone trying to gank you) a bad thing? Die honourable? Sorry, I prefer to survive. PU-whining seems to be based in the idea that people cannot fathom that the devs don’t balance for 1v1, because PU is bad enough as a trait in many situations, it really doesn’t need nerfing.
See, if make the game “Jump from the highest distance without dying”, wouldn’t you agree that -fallingdamage traits are “overpowered”, compared to other traits?
But how is that a useful statement? The devs pretty obviously didn’t build this for falling competitions. And, they also did not build the game for 1v1. WvW, sPvP, the whole combat mechanic wants you to not 1v1. It rewards not playing 1v1. It rewards not playing fair. As it should, it’s there to make you feel like you’re having a fight, and a fight doesn’t reward playing fair or playing “honourable” duels. A fight rewards playing unfair, bringing superior numbers and forcing un-lose-able situations. And that’s what balancing should be around, because that is what you actually do in sPvP and WvW: fight unfair.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroathiest.4168

Pyroathiest.4168

Because of PU.

PU builds, especially the condition ones, are the pinnacle of low risk/high reward game-play that is so common among condition builds.

What used to be a compelling class to fight has turned into the worst cheese spec since decap-engis in sPvP.

Stop playing PU and people might give you a little more respect.

Nah, I think I’ll just keep playing PU and having fun drinking the tears of my enemies. I honestly don’t care that people hate me and the way I play. I don’t care because I win, and winning is fun.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bacon.4918

Bacon.4918

Also, how is using an effective trait (for the situation, 1v1 versus someone trying to gank you) a bad thing?

The protection up-time alone makes PU overpowered. Any decent mesmer doesn’t need to run this cheese and it is banned in any legit 1v1 server. Not surprised Pyroathiest is here defending it though, it’s just like when he was defending the bugged phantasm damage before it was fixed. I play mesmer and I’ve wanted this trait changed for months.

Highest soloQ rank – #2

in Mesmer

Posted by: jarthur.3649

jarthur.3649

so bacon are you saying that we shouldn’t have reasonable access to protection.

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Also, how is using an effective trait (for the situation, 1v1 versus someone trying to gank you) a bad thing?

The protection up-time alone makes PU overpowered. Any decent mesmer doesn’t need to run this cheese and it is banned in any legit 1v1 server. Not surprised Pyroathiest is here defending it though, it’s just like when he was defending the bugged phantasm damage before it was fixed. I play mesmer and I’ve wanted this trait changed for months.

The only legit servers are those provided by Anet, not custom scrub built arenas. And any decent Mesmer is playing to win, and will bring whatever he needs to the fight to dominate. He’ll take advantage of every tool available to him, and make use of every nitch he can to come out victorious. Anyone who doesn’t and calls themselves a “decent Mesmer” is fooling themselves.

in Mesmer

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

Had a warrior rage at me for using “cheat condition build”, and “cheat perplexity” even though I don’t use perplexity runes, then rage at my use of torment, as that makes me a condition build. I tried to explain it was on scepter 2 but it didn’t matter, it was cheating. If you use condi you have no skill, apparently. If you’re pure power with no condi food etc, then you’re playing with pure skill. Made me a little sad to see this guy steeped so heavily in his own scrub thinking instead of playing to win. Anyway, I decided to make a video and chat log of the whole episode.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/193x873q90/843/0rio.jpg

This hapoens for every one.
War-cheap stunn
Necro -cheap fears
Theives cheap stealth.

I main war and necro
mesmer are.predictable . ..
I usually loose when they pop moa at 30%ish hp…
Guaranteed win

But still predictable

(edited by alamore.1974)

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

Guaranteed win

But still predictable

If it’s so predictable, why don’t you just use 1 dodge and avoid the moa?

in Mesmer

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

Guaranteed win

But still predictable

If it’s so predictable, why don’t you just use 1 dodge and avoid the moa?

Jusy because it predictable doesnt mean i dodge.it every time. Skills.on.cooldown no juice to dodge. So ya it hits me sometimes.

Now i.do have a issue with moa

On my.necro i go lich, moa affects me…ok understandable.
Now i get hit.by moa why am i being stooed from becoming lich after that.
Both are transformations.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

People just get mad if they cant beat you. Instead of blaming themselves, they blame you.

If mesmer were such a broken op class they’d play it too. Instead what they’re saying is “I can beat players with no skill as this class, so please if you can beat me, switch to a class you can’t play so I can win.”

Though stealth is pretty cheap in this game, only because there’s no counter to it, stealth itself is fine as long as it has some counter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

“legit 1v1 server” is an oxymoron. Sorry. The game isn’t build for 1v1, as is evident not only from it’s PvP modes but also the underlying combat system and class design.

And yes, I think it’s overpowered, too. But that’s not what I asked. If it is overpowered, why not use it? If you can be stronger from something as simple as selecting a different trait, you’d be a pretty bad player to not even make that tiny effort, no?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

If you can be stronger from something as simple as selecting a different trait, you’d be a pretty bad player to not even make that tiny effort, no?

Not a bad player per se, but a scrub.

cue ross with his handy dandy link

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

The big “legitimate” issue with Mesmers is mainly phantasm or illusion based play styles. Or mesmer play styles that don’t utilize their shatters because they can rely totally on their illusions to keep up their sustain with very little thought needed. The reason this is a legitimate concern is that the entire effectiveness is AI based…not player based. It’s the reason many players hate minion manner necro or spirit rangers ect. The reason is that you are not so much fighting the player as you are ai. And let’s face it, pve sucks in This game. There are other points such as strong sustain or defense in some areas or another (PU) that encourage idiotic play styles that just so happen to be the most effective.

Granted there will of course be illegitimate points on how the mesmer is no-skill easy, as well as with other class’s. And that’s fine let them wine as you smile behind your mask. However that does not mean there are no legitimate points for specific builds and play styles that are OP and or require no skill from their user to be effective, and you should keep this in mind when both judging the skill of another player or yourself and try and determine if they or you are winning because of your superior reaction time,intelligence, or creativity(skill). Or if its just that your build is superior enough that those quality’s no longer matter.

Granted you can play to win and ignore these. However that does not mean there will not be consequences. Mainly the creation of meta, and the destruction of viable diversity among a class. And of course the constant spam of your mail box.

(edited by Chaos.3579)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Static.9841

Static.9841

People…

I couldn’t agree more, the fact is, if it wasn’t PU, people would be crying about some other build being cheese or cheap. There is NO cheese or cheap, this is simply the call of the scrub who fails to understand and/or counter said builds that they are crying about. Hell, people cry like little girls when someone uses Moa on them. Yes, how dare mesmers use legitimate traits and skills.

You have the lowest skill floor of all classes and the second most uptime on stealth, I wonder.

Just lol. You guys really need to get together and have a conference, poll or something because one day it’s thief, the next day it’s hambow, then decap engi and now mesmer. Just lol.

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!

(edited by Static.9841)

in Mesmer

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

People don’t like to lose, many people become emotionally invested in “their” class.

The biggest issue is people don’t like losing and value “1v1” to much.

MMO especially WvW “Roaming” isn’t a game mode WvW is a sandbox and people have put personal rules on “Roaming”. Some are widely used like “bow” for duels still many can’t remember that everything goes in WvW.

The rules go out the window if you where fighting and get ran over by a zerg or someone jumps in then it’s OK to be a sandbox environment nothing is OP because you got ran over by 20 people, it’s ok that “stuff happens” in that scenario.

There is all kinds of divides in this game

D/D ele vs non-arcana Eles.
Non-PU vs PU
Soldier Warriors vs Zerk
Bunker vs DPS
Zergers vs Roamers
Shadows arts thieves vs Non Shadow arts thieves
Direct damage vs Condi damage
Perplexity Engi vs Non perplexity Engi
Condi necro vs Power necro
Pro Dhuumfire vs Anti Dhuumfire

It goes on and on I am in alot of different forums for the classes I play mostly in Ele forums.

It doesn’t just happen with one class vs another alot of times it’s same class vs same clkittene.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)