"Winds" of Chaos.....-throws ecto-

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alpha.1308

Alpha.1308

seeing as how bouncing effects on phantasms should just go away, (even though the thread just….died)
what if we extended that idea to staff clones
make this spell actually create “winds”, sort of like Wave of Wrath (Guardian Staff 1)
having 3 clones waving their staves around to actually generate a chaotic environment would look/be better than throwing random globs of ectoplasm at people

i realize phantasm bounces are more problematic, but, i was just thinking about it earlier and was reminded about this
it always made me sad ever since day 1 that this spell was called “Winds” of Chaos, but it’s just…. throwing balls around

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

You know, it’d be easier just to change the name. Also, it’d be consistent with Anet’s Mesmer balance/fix practices.

So hows about

• Balls of Chaos
  • Balls of Fury
  • Balls of POWER

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

“Balls of POWER” because might is the most important aspect anyway

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

“Balls of POWER” because might is the most important aspect anyway

Yes… might… that’s exactly what I was thinking /whistles/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

More like “Orb of chaos” or “Chaos orb” actually sounds like something they would do xD

Aside from that, it would be cool if they removed the bouncing phantasms like they did with the shield one- thinking about torch. Also, focus phantasm ground target MY GOD that would be sweet. Phantasmal disenchanter and defender should also be ground targeted imo.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Chaos Orb sounds like a cool name.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Fun fact: a long time ago Staff 1 was called “Chaos Strike”, uses the current Chaos Armour icon and simply hits a target with a random condition/give yourself a random boon. No projectile, no beam, just point and bam. Back then Winds of Chaos was Staff 4.

in Mesmer

Quadox.7834

Fun fact: a long time ago Staff 1 was called “Chaos Strike”, uses the current Chaos Armour icon and simply hits a target with a random condition/give yourself a random boon. No projectile, no beam, just point and bam. Back then Winds of Chaos was Staff 4.

And wasn’t phase retreat on greatsword in place of mirror blade or something? I have forgotten.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

And wasn’t phase retreat on greatsword in place of mirror blade or something? I have forgotten.

I feel like staff had both a leap forward and a leap back, but I could be totally wrong.

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

Yeah GS had Phase Retreat, except it was called Feigned Escape or something. I think Staff also had a teleport but it was forward… can’t remember.

Pity this sort of “trivia” isn’t documented in the wiki.

in Mesmer

Quadox.7834

Yeah GS had Phase Retreat, except it was called Feigned Escape or something. I think Staff also had a teleport but it was forward… can’t remember.

Pity this sort of “trivia” isn’t documented in the wiki.

I think this is right yeah, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Feigned_Escape&redirect=no

Yaniam [Mesmer]

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

interesting, i do like hearing about removed/changed skills
been playing since the first BWE and i don’t remember the teleport forward or Feigned Escape, must have been EXTREMELY early, or my memory is bad
and i tried to follow the game since it was announced, ESPECIALLY mesmers…..
although i do remember that the auto attack in the Chaos Storm trailer looked like, as stated, the “chaos strike”, if that’s what the burn was

back on topic:

i don’t know, i used to really like Staff 1, but i’ve slowly started to dislike it more and more in group settings

sort of still on topic from a previous comment+bouncing:

i do agree with Torch Phantasm/ other bouncing needs to stop, but i don’t think ground-targetted phantasms would work, due to being bound to a specific enemy for shatters

(edited by Alpha.1308)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Trivia? Let’s see…

Distortion used to be a utility instead of a Shatter (I don’t recall what F4 was or if there was one. It was in an old Lewis B video I think).

Mesmer downed skill #2 was called Desperate Daze and was basically a single target version of Ranger’s downed skill #2. Then it just teleported you and summoned a clone, then they finally added the invisibility. We lucked out in that change big time.

Sword 3 actually made the Mesmer leap and left a clone behind that you could swap with. I think the skill was called “Leap” and then followed up with “Illusionary Leap”.

There was a bug that made Phantasms attack non-stop if trained with Phantasmal Haste for a whole beta weekend. iDuelists were truly feared.

Swap was a utility that effected enemy players (trade locations with them).

Sword used to be the default Mesmer weapon you began with, it was swapped to Scepter when we pointed out you couldn’t use your profession mechanikittenil you unlocked your #3 skill (which took a few dozen kills of enemies back then).

Torch’s The Prestige used to be channeled. cringe

Scepter was a terrible and slow weapon. Oh wait..

(edited by Dastion.3106)

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

Reflection was our F4 before Distortion replaced it.

Sword 2 used to be Leap, the opposite of Illusionary Leap. People complained they were too similar, and in any case the “Clones are confusing” idea fell flat almost immediately.

Clones used to do significant damage, around 200 – 300. I had lots of fun chasing people with three Sword Clones during the Beta.

in Mesmer

Quadox.7834

Oh yeah i remember the leap backwards skill, why couldn’t we have gotten a dagger on chrono with that skill

Yaniam [Mesmer]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Sidenote: The thread about bouncing phantasms is sitting dormant, but I believe our main dev (Robert Gee) has seen it. Mostly because the change to iAvenger was actually one of the suggested changes.

I don’t think core Mes will see any balancing until HoTs release. When it does I’m hoping well get more tweaks. (And we were confirmed bug fixes such as Duelist Discipline)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

I feel like staff had both a leap forward and a leap back, but I could be totally wrong.

Sword had them, instead of BF.

Snow Crows [SC]