You have to go shattr build if you go Chrono?

in Mesmer

Posted by: StormHawk.9862

StormHawk.9862

So you have to go for a shatter build/shatter clones if you take Chronomancer?

What about for like tanky/selfish builds like for commanding? Like currently I take some defensive abilities like boons in stealth and condi clears, etc. But if majority of chronomancer’s skills are effective with shattering, would there be a way for shattering for utility or defensively not just for raw damage? I’m confused.

Or would the shatter builds/shatter clones in general, be able to provide survivability/utility and not just damage unlike the current shatter builds?

SIDE QUESTION; [Optional to answer] In a shatter build, as soon as you have 3 clones/phantasms up do you shatter immediately? Or do you like wait till the phantasm does his full cycle of damage and then shatter it?

Try to answer all my questions!
Thanks!

(edited by StormHawk.9862)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Uh. How on earth did you manage to disfigure any of the information released today into this? Nothing even remotely close to that was stated, hinted, or otherwise implied.

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

Uh. How on earth did you manage to disfigure any of the information released today into this? Nothing even remotely close to that was stated, hinted, or otherwise implied.

Well it mentioned there’s a trait that, when you shatter a skill it gives you alacrity, so I assumed naturally that there would be more traits like that, that require shattering.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Didn’t they say that that’s not the case? Didn’t they say that phantasm specs would work with chrono as well because of alacrity sharing?

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Well it mentioned there’s a trait that, when you shatter a skill it gives you alacrity, so I assumed naturally that there would be more traits like that, that require shattering.

That’s like saying “we got a minor in illusions that applies confusion on shatter so i have to go for conditiondamage/shatter when i spec into illusions”

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

Didn’t they say that that’s not the case? Didn’t they say that phantasm specs would work with chrono as well because of alacrity sharing?

Yeah, but a survivibility/utility/selfish build isn’t exactly a phantasm damage build now is it? :L

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

This is a simple answer: no.

But if majority of chronomancer’s skills are effective with shattering, would there be a way for shattering for utility or defensively not just for raw damage?

This is quite the leap in assumptions. We were given ONE minor trait that says you gain Alacrity when shattering. Gaining increased recharge helps with overall dps as well as defensive capabilities. As they said in the blog post, Chronomancer has a lot of dual capabilities.

Or would the shatter builds/shatter clones in general, be able to provide survivability/utility and not just damage unlike the current shatter builds?

I don’t quite get this question, but if you’ve look at the new revamp in traits you can see that there will be a huge increase of variety in shatter builds even without taking Chronomancer. See the Chaos & Inspiration trait lines.

In a shatter build, as soon as you have 3 clones/phantasms up do you shatter immediately?

I’m no shatter pro, but it’s all based on timing. The burst on 3-4 clones is probably better than a single phantasm attack at that point. Waiting for the phantasm attack risks the highly likely possibility that all your clones, including the phantasm, dies from AOE anyway.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

alacrity on shatter is likely a minor trait that comes with the specialization.

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

Oh ok then. Thanks for all the answers.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I guess that, like in most trait lines (EXCEPT ILLUSIONS!), we will be able to chose at each lvl (Adept, Master and GM) between one trait more shatter-focused, one trait more phantasm-focused, or one used in both variants.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Plus, it’s not yet known what implications taking Illusions + Chronomancy + Dueling has (which would be the “proper” shatter setup for a Chronomancer).

It gives you superior shatter access, including the new F5 one, yes. But it gives up a ton of things for it, and until we know what other classes get we can’t really judge whether it’s sensible to overspecialize like that.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Even if there are shatter related traits in the chrono line, it might not matter. If those traits have a ‘on shatter’ and not a ‘on shatter per illusion’ effect, all builds can utilize them to their greatest potential (except the shatter cool down ofc).

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

What about for like tanky/selfish builds like for commanding?

Who in their right mind goes commanding in WvW on their mesmer?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Mesmer

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I see small 10 man raids regularly using mass invisibility as a easy way out of fights whcih cannot be won…

Maybe the memser is not the commander but a trusted lieutenant he surely is…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

The Mesmer preparing to be a boss Chronomancer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

you say boss Chronomancer … I say “Time Lord” …

The Doctor always takes charge/command :-p

Negative tons of points to those who don’t get the references … you just lost at the game of life … sorry :-p

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

Negative tons of points to those who don’t get the references … you just lost at the game of life … sorry :-p

what if you think dr who sucks ?

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

what if you think dr who sucks ?

Then I can’t help but question your judgement in all things from this point forward, of course ;-)

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I didn’t get the reference, but if this was irl I would’ve totally laughed and pretended I did.

/peerpressure

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Stop making me feel my age… I have a two months before 30.

mumbles about “darn kids” as he walks off

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

Me. I, in the right mind command in WvW and it works out just fine. But if you’re not gonna answer the question, please don’t insult me and go somewhere else. Thanks.

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

The Mesmer preparing to be a boss Chronomancer.

Lol, you bet!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

They also mentioned in the PoI they did today a Grandmaster trait (Chronophantasm) which will resummon phantasms once after using a shatter skill. they are still balancing it (afraid of what might happen if someone shattered a trio of duelists to unload on a single target at the same time) but even in a lesser form, it would let your Phantasm-based Chronomancer still take advantage of shatter traits, like the alacrity minor.

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

They also mentioned in the PoI they did today a Grandmaster trait (Chronophantasm) which will resummon phantasms once after using a shatter skill. they are still balancing it (afraid of what might happen if someone shattered a trio of duelists to unload on a single target at the same time) but even in a lesser form, it would let your Phantasm-based Chronomancer still take advantage of shatter traits, like the alacrity minor.

Yeah, I did see that today in fact, yeah I think that trait is useful, indeed. Do you think it’s a must-take for non-shatter builds?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Yeah, I did see that today in fact, yeah I think that trait is useful, indeed. Do you think it’s a must-take for non-shatter builds?

No, but it could be handy. It won’t matter all that much for PvE, since in PvE the phantasms die, and that trait only triggers if they shatter. It’ll be useful for PvP phantasm builds…but it still won’t affect their viability in group fights for the same reason as it won’t work well in PvE.