mesmer scepter

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

with all this dh in spvp , is it not better to take scepter to sword ? With classic meta i find really hard to fight a dh , it seems to me that with scepter torch/shield, staff it is easier for the block and the more range pressure you can output on them .

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: Soothsayer.9206

Soothsayer.9206

That’s my current thinking too. Although some might disagree, I think in melee situations, especially against dh, sword is a liability. The current meta doesn’t have the toughness (no more mercenary amulet) nor does it have the direct damage burst needed in a melee situation against a dh. My main is a staff/scepter-torch and my alt(in the testing stages) is a gs-scepter focus.

Kyrie eleison…Dies irae, dies illa…Quando judex est venturus

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

PierPiero.9142

That’s my current thinking too. Although some might disagree, I think in melee situations, especially against dh, sword is a liability. The current meta doesn’t have the toughness (no more mercenary amulet) nor does it have the direct damage burst needed in a melee situation against a dh. My main is a staff/scepter-torch and my alt(in the testing stages) is a gs-scepter focus.

Which amulet are u using ? I tried both rabid and carrion and at the end perhaps i find rabid easier to use. What i find really strong is phantasmal disenchanter now .

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Scepter is a decent weapon but I don’t think its yet strong enough to be used in high level competitive PvP. Its purely single target based which is a problem, 1v1 you could be fine and with the rather long block on hardly any CD at all its very useful but it won’t be that good in a group fight

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Soothsayer.9206

That’s my current thinking too. Although some might disagree, I think in melee situations, especially against dh, sword is a liability. The current meta doesn’t have the toughness (no more mercenary amulet) nor does it have the direct damage burst needed in a melee situation against a dh. My main is a staff/scepter-torch and my alt (in the testing stages) as a gs-scepter focus.

Which amulet are u using ? I tried both rabid and carrion and at the end perhaps i find rabid easier to use. What i find really strong is phantasmal disenchanter now .

On my test build – paladins – posted 2 test builds on Mesmer forum – “Test builds – needs feedback” but here’s the build I am currently testing is a dps build rather than condi:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAR7dncfClphlqB2fCEgiFij6cDugJouS/0Q1MAClFC-TJhGABnv/gCPBg8LDAwFBAA
Truth be told, I have been having quite a lot of fun with this build because I am exploring an utility role over the classic, or pure bunker/bruiser/support. The result was taking scepter over sword (for added mid-ranged kiting) and focus over shield (for aoe type projectile block [phantasmal warden]and more importantly the added interrupt [temporal curtain – been able to drag dh off point occasionally too]). Still, its in the testing phase, but I am enjoying the change of pace from my condi/shatter. One thing is for certain that sword-shield, in this current meta vs dh, is definitely a liability imho.

Running Phantasmal Disenchanter on my main, but I was hard pressed not to switch back to Arcane Thievery especially now that the cool down is 35 seconds. I use The Prestige or Decoy to set it because of the 1.5 second cast time. Its also blockable , but because my condi/shatter is somewhat set up for support, Its ability to target multiples (4 bounces) and shorter cool down makes it hard to pass up. Arcane Thievery is range 1200 and unblockable, but in 1v1 situations, I liked it. This is my current set up of my main – really its closer to hybrid, but I rely more on condition application than dps so I play it like a condi/support/almost bruiser type:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW7fncfCNqhFqBmqBUrhlmjq+QX0HF9C6nJ7MBKgAA-TJRBABgVGo5nAg/7PAwFBAA

(edited by Soothsayer.9206)

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I’m using scepter when I play condie because I enjoy the weapon. However…sword is absolutely better defensively due to blurred frenzy over the block. DH have a lot of unblockable attacks, and the evade on blurred frenzy is far better for keeping yourself alive in a fight vs a DH.

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

versus DH play staff only. switch to sword for defense or to finish with low hp. scepter is good if you can keep the distance from him

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Soothsayer.9206

Normally, I would agree that Blurred Frenzy is good for keeping you in a fight, but the current meta Mesmer vs a DH lacks toughness, is quite susceptible to cc, and it forces you to stop in that spot to execute it. All of those things are strengths on the current DH, which makes it a hard counter to sword-shield while in melee. I agree the best option is to force a DH to deal with ranged and kiting. Tactically, maneuverability is an asset to Mesmer, its the classical Rocky vs Apollo Creed, once Rocky gets inside, you’re done – never try to duke it out with Rocky. Otherwise, I would go back to sword-shield, but in my opinion, having to get next to a DH is both risky and plays to all its strengths.

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

PierPiero.9142

I’m using scepter when I play condie because I enjoy the weapon. However…sword is absolutely better defensively due to blurred frenzy over the block. DH have a lot of unblockable attacks, and the evade on blurred frenzy is far better for keeping yourself alive in a fight vs a DH.

Sword 2 has 16 secs cd …. i can use once … then i have no way to make damage to a dh becouse i can no more stay melee to him and i have to wait to have staff ready. The advantage of scepter, for me, is that i can block , put myself out of point and make damage again . Do you go with sword againsat a dh with autoattack after u use your sword 2 ? My problem with sword is … ok i use sword 2 .. and then if i have not staff ready i am really in trouble ( ok i can shatter or use shield but i have not autoattack to rely on … if i stay melee to a warrior or a guardian …. goodbye … )

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Sword 2 has 16 secs cd …. i can use once … then i have no way to make damage to a dh becouse i can no more stay melee to him and i have to wait to have staff ready. The advantage of scepter, for me, is that i can block , put myself out of point and make damage again . Do you go with sword againsat a dh with autoattack after u use your sword 2 ? My problem with sword is … ok i use sword 2 .. and then if i have not staff ready i am really in trouble ( ok i can shatter or use shield but i have not autoattack to rely on … if i stay melee to a warrior or a guardian …. goodbye … )

First of all, blurred frenzy has a 12 second cooldown…but that’s besides the point. DH runs with longbow. Do you think they’ll just throw their hands up in despair and go ‘well, guess I can’t attack this mesmer now that they’re out of melee range’ if you try to attack from range? No, of course not. They’ll just attack you anyway.

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

PierPiero.9142

First of all, blurred frenzy has a 12 second cooldown…but that’s besides the point. DH runs with longbow. Do you think they’ll just throw their hands up in despair and go ‘well, guess I can’t attack this mesmer now that they’re out of melee range’ if you try to attack from range? No, of course not. They’ll just attack you anyway.

Probably the problem is mine that i am noob but i find more easily to win against warrior and guardian with rabid scepter /torch, staff rather than sword/sh,staff meta . I repeat, probably it is a problem of mine. ( i use phantasmal disenchanter which helps a lot against warrior )

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i think its more of a game type

in pvp if you dont care about the point contest you can use scepter but if you do than sword is they way to go

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: pico.6402

pico.6402

Sword have one problem – it is only close range.
Scepter can be usefull also in mid range.

And Pyro, if he will try to fight from range he will suffer from reflects (if I see team with dh’s, rangers, and thiefs I always take reflects with me)

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

And Pyro, if he will try to fight from range he will suffer from reflects (if I see team with dh’s, rangers, and thiefs I always take reflects with me)

That’s only an issue if the DH isn’t paying attention. When you say you take reflects, I’m going to assume that means you take feedback, right? I highly doubt you actually put on focus and trait it for that scenario just because that’s a pretty significant build sacrifice. So the DH just waits 6 seconds for feedback to drop then keeps going. They could even LoS you during those 6 seconds, or use any of a couple unblockable projectile attacks they have to hit through the reflect.

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

pico.6402

That’s only an issue if the DH isn’t paying attention. When you say you take reflects, I’m going to assume that means you take feedback, right? I highly doubt you actually put on focus and trait it for that scenario just because that’s a pretty significant build sacrifice. So the DH just waits 6 seconds for feedback to drop then keeps going. They could even LoS you during those 6 seconds, or use any of a couple unblockable projectile attacks they have to hit through the reflect.

The good one’s sure can do that but right now with dh is like with reapers/scrappers/chronos in past 2 seasons – they mostly suck so feedback is enough.
And no I don’t use focus, just feedback, sometimes mirror.
I don’t take this skills to have 100% win chances, they’re just giving me an egde, a distractin, somethig that put my oponent out of balance and it work perfectly.

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

ATM I’m running master of manipulation and evasive mirror. I can run Mirror heal too, but I’ve opted for Healing Well because minor cleanse, plus bonus alacrity. The other two work a treat though

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: myren.5490

myren.5490

I have a question for mesmer scepter, its better to not make another topic for it. Is the scepter any good for pve? Like dungeons fractals etc? I’m so tired of using sword :/

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

ATM I’m running master of manipulation and evasive mirror. I can run Mirror heal too, but I’ve opted for Healing Well because minor cleanse, plus bonus alacrity. The other two work a treat though

I used to run healing well but kept running into players who would drop AOEs on it causing me to lose the second heal unless I either took damage or used up a block or distortion

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

pico.6402

Ok Pyro U were right reflects do not work for dh. Did U had the same, that deflecting shot went throo U’r reflects?

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Ok Pyro U were right reflects do not work for dh. Did U had the same, that deflecting shot went throo U’r reflects?

Deflecting shot is unblockable. The F1 chain yank is also unblockable. Hunter’s ward and the symbol are ground targeted attacks and therefor cannot be reflected.

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

Scepter/Shield is my current preference in PVP.

EDIT: Since this post I have ditched the staff for Sword/Shield + Scepter/Torch

(edited by SaltAndLight.4652)

mesmer scepter

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I used to run healing well but kept running into players who would drop AOEs on it causing me to lose the second heal unless I either took damage or used up a block or distortion

Usualy when I’m at the point of taking so much damage/pressure I need/want to heal, I’ll swap into sword/shield, drop my heal well, then stand in it with block or use sword 2. I’m usualy eating pressure anyway and it’s great psychological denial to enemies who think you’re low and about to die, so they waste whatever they have left.