new mesmer player pve advise

in Mesmer

Posted by: neol.5438

neol.5438

Hi guys
I recently decidede to give the mesmer class a try. That being said I’d like to play a condition mesmer, mostly laid out on PvE, maybe some WvW. Keep in mind that i am not looking for the best possible and most mainstream build, but rather something fun and interesting. I particularly like scepter/torch. Any building advise?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Scepter/torch is a great condi set. Have you tried the staff? It’s also a strong condi weapon. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/List-Find-your-Mesmer-Builds-Guides/first This is the list of mesmer builds, but if you want something unique, you’ll have to make one based on your playstyle. But at least that list can give you a few ideas.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Magi.8643

Magi.8643

if your looking for a condition build then the Blackwater build is probably the best you’ll find at the moment you can find it in the Mesmer build guild on these forums.

I’d keep in mind tho that condition build are more gimmicky in PvE content compared to PvP and WvW so you may wish to look at using a power build when playing general PvE.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

You may want to level with GS and Sword/Sword with a power build if you really just started out and then swap later. Just thinking its probably faster…

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

You may want to level with GS and Sword/Sword with a power build if you really just started out and then swap later. Just thinking its probably faster…

Pistol or Focus might be better as offhands. While the sword is useful, it’s not very strong in AoE (neither is Pistol, but it at least has a stronger AoE CC and the dps single target is faster to get pumped out).

I have a post somewhere about what/how to build while leveling, I’m going to scrounge for it.

EDIT: Found it, click here

(edited by Esplen.3940)

in Mesmer

neol.5438

Thanks for the replys. The truth is that i already own a 80 thief that i play almost full berserker. So i really feel like playing something with conditions. My problem is that i really like so masny weapson sets from mesmer, but only staff and scpeter/torch seem to work with conditions. I’ll try the suggested Blackwater build

in Mesmer

neol.5438

Thanks for the replys. The truth is that i already own a 80 thief that i play almost full berserker. So i really feel like playing something with conditions. My problem is that i really like so masny weapson sets from mesmer, but only staff and scpeter/torch seem to work with conditions. I’ll try the suggested Blacktide build

in Mesmer

Posted by: kelidus.6934

kelidus.6934

I’m currently leveling a Mesmer with a condition setup. My main weapon is a staff, and my secondary weapons are a Scepter and Pistol. I find that I can solo a LOT of stuff at once. Keeping my illusions maxed out at 3 and bouncing between the 2 weapon sets depending on what I need. It’s a ton of fun and I’ve had no issues leveling thus far.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

So as far as conditions for Mesmer go, you’re going to have a really really really really rough time before level 40. Condition Mesmer is incredibly reliant on master level traits, so you’ll be pretty much completely useless without them.

Now, that being said, condition Mesmer in pve isn’t the best. I’ve gone into this in more depth before, but real quick:

Conditions in general in pve are weak. Mesmer conditions are additionally unreliable in pve for multiple reasons. You’ll survive fine, and kill things in a reasonable manner to an extent, but you’ll never even approach the damage and utility that a phantasm Mesmer will bring.

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

If you take a condition mesmer, like I did when I was levelling, well i had power and condition, i don’t think i boosted up crit at all, it was quite powerful. I had sword/focus and staff. My staff skills were doing a lot of damage, especially as i had my staff clones set up around on mobs letting it bounce while I would move around and dodge and jump in and out, and sword focus had a ton of defense and straight forward steady aoe damage. Once you get into the rhythm of it, it feels wonderful. Before level 40, where we have access to higher traits, I had to make up for the slower illusion generation with mirror images as one of my slots. With staff and sword MH the illusion generation wasn’t slow at all

But the main reason why I particularly enjoyed condition was because I push my limits especially while levelling solo, I would go to maps 5+ levels higher than me and see how I hold out. The mesmer is an extremely strong capable solo machine. So when my attacks were only glancing, my conditions would do a lot of work for me.

Unless you do what I did, there’s no reason why you should select condition in PvE to level or play at level 80. Conditions would be strong in player vs player situations. I also levelled condition warrior in PvE because I was in higher level maps as well. Mesmer by far had a lot more survivability, was way more capable and more damage though :P