A Plea for Death's Charge

in Necromancer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

So I’ve watched quite a bit of streaming today in regards to the Reaper, and it essentially confirmed a pretty big fear of mine. Death’s Charge is wonky as hell for combat general use, and unlike skills such as burning speed which work relatively similar, it doesn’t include an evade (and if I’m not mistaken, according to the wiki and testing, Burning speed doesn’t travel the full 600 range, leaving it a bit easier to land).

Simple request: Please, for the love of everything unholy, make it a target-based leap, while retaining the animation, similar to a warrior’s sword. I watched grouch and other decent players just flopping all over the place with it, and I’m not sure I was it successfully land once, and it drastically reduces its ability to be used as a defense on point.

Second topic, ideally, and because it is a mobility skill locked by death shroud (and by extension, life force, so not always readily available out of combat), the spell if given the above functionality would do wonders for the class posing as a heavy melee combatant if it was 900 range. And for this, possibly it could go from a 6 to an 8 second cooldown, but as it stands, Necromancer alone is fairly outclassed as a ranged fighter, Reaper being only worse in those regards, a Reaper must be able to close gaps, at least in their shrouded state.

That’s all. If not the second part, the first part is almost dire, the skill is far too wonky as it stands, and since it has no added benefits while flying through the air, such as evading, it really needs to be more reliable and be able to short-stop at its destined target.

Thanks for reading!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

The easiest change would be to leave it as is if you have no target, like a lot of skills, but then also allow it to be targeted.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

The easiest change would be to leave it as is if you have no target, like a lot of skills, but then also allow it to be targeted.

That’s exactly what I want out of it, to function like Warrior’s sword leap. (So exactly as you mentioned.) The burning speed style functionality is simply not going to work out with how the class handles and need to be right up in someone’s face.

It really needs to function like other standard targeted mobility skills, as mentioned, but a range increase, even for a slight CD increase would also be welcomed. Unlike base-necro who has some range leverage, so not all is lost when you miss DS2, a Reaper must be able to reach a target, and frequently or it will be kited into oblivion, as if staff isn’t already mandatory enough.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I’d like it to work exactly like Burning Speed, however the skill flips over as a second skill (the blast portion) at which point you can activate the blast early or decide to use it for the mobility to cross large distances or gap close fleeing enemies.

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

I’d like it to work exactly like Burning Speed, however the skill flips over as a second skill (the blast portion) at which point you can activate the blast early or decide to use it for the mobility to cross large distances or gap close fleeing enemies.

That’d work too, essentially, either would give the same ending effect. Your version requiring more work on the developers, but easier to use, not having to deselect targets. I’m for that as well, always loved that ability mechanic. Almost suggested it, but I’ve learned to not overstep my boundaries when time is limited and I’m on the Necromancer forums.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

So you’re saying it works like warrior greatsword 3, but this is no good because of no evade and you would prefer it worked like warrior sword 2.

I will beta test the skill

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

So you’re saying it works like warrior greatsword 3, but this is no good because of no evade and you would prefer it worked like warrior sword 2.

I will beta test the skill

Technically, it works more like Burning Speed, as it takes your facing, it isn’t directed, but regardless, yes, it can’t be short-stopped, much like GS3. I’d rather it more like Sword 2 OR, as someone above me said, a double-skill that allowed us to short-stop it. Unlike GS 3, it doesn’t deal tons of damage mid-travel, nor does it evade like Burning Speed/GS3.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

I have notes on things to improve with both axe and scepter as well as a note about skills that we could add projectile blocking to (incidentally RS 2 blocks projectiles because of a suggestion I read here).

So apparently it blocks projectiles when used. Thoughts? Also it blinds now instead they are really pushing the chilling darkness trait.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Malchior.1928

Malchior.1928

Technically, it works more like Burning Speed, as it takes your facing, it isn’t directed, but regardless, yes, it can’t be short-stopped, much like GS3. I’d rather it more like Sword 2 OR, as someone above me said, a double-skill that allowed us to short-stop it. Unlike GS 3, it doesn’t deal tons of damage mid-travel, nor does it evade like Burning Speed/GS3.

It’s basically burning speed. We don’t need the evade though because we have deathshroud damage mitigation every time we use it haha. (My only concern is immobile but I will for sure be taking relentless pursuit)
And I like the aoe blind. It’s good stuff.

The projectile block is nice. I have a feeling we will eat rangers now even if they 2v1 us.

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

guess necros without leaps can’t know this…

turning up your camera cuts the leap distance. burning speed is 600 range, only if you turn the camera up it is half the distance. that’s how all leaps in the game work.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

turning up your camera cuts the leap distance. burning speed is 600 range, only if you turn the camera up it is half the distance. that’s how all leaps in the game work.

Praise the ele lifestyle!

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

What do you mean “turn the camera up” ? Do you mean point the camera in a certain direction (to the sky or to the floor)?

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Yes that is what he means, will be testing to see if this works correctly in beta. Basically, you can glitch out a lot of skills with the camera, leaps, but also targeted aoes like dragon’s tooth and comet. Also, you guys are just gonna have to learn to get the spacing right and land it. It will be kind of hard at first, but I’d rather L2P then have them implement a way to make it easier to land.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ButterOfDeath.2873

ButterOfDeath.2873

SIMPLE FIX:
If you move, the dash ends and you do the final explosion, skipping the animation.
Just like blurred frenzy ends if you try to move.

in Necromancer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

It’s a mobility skill, people wanted mobility, now you want the ability to cancel the mobility? Fickle crowd.

I don’t think it was meant to be something to hit people with, but rather a gap closer. You’re not supposed to use it at melee range, you use it when the enemy is trying to get away from you.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ButterOfDeath.2873

ButterOfDeath.2873

It’s a mobility skill, people wanted mobility, now you want the ability to cancel the mobility? Fickle crowd.

I don’t think it was meant to be something to hit people with, but rather a gap closer. You’re not supposed to use it at melee range, you use it when the enemy is trying to get away from you.

Path of corruption wants to have a discussion with you.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

If it wasn’t meant to be used in combat it wouldn’t have a blind at the end.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

As the above poster said, just make it work exactly like whirlwind attack and attach an evade to it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

As the above poster said, just make it work exactly like whirlwind attack and attach an evade to it.

It already blocks projectiles.

And to the others, like I said, its a gap closer. You don’t magically appear next to the enemy every fight, and other classes have some form of mobility. This lets you enter fights or catch up to enemies, and if you use it this way you blind them.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

SIMPLE FIX:
If you move, the dash ends and you do the final explosion, skipping the animation.
Just like blurred frenzy ends if you try to move.

whuuuuu

Does this work with burning speed? I never specifically tried that, but it’s hard to believe I never did it accidentally.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Okay I’ll admit I was originally kittened about the chilling darkness nerf but considering this is a blind, projectile deflect leap on a 6 second CD (which can be further decreased through traits) the ICD is starting to feel more reasonable. Granted, well of darkness is still garbage now but I’d rather have its use on DS2 than a utility slot.
If traited properly this skill could be a ~4 sec 600 range gap closer that destroys projectiles, converts boons into condis, blinds, chills and vulns, while also dealing damage on the way (I saw this on a stream, it does in fact do damage like the revenant staff 5).
This is a very strong skill.
Well played Robert, well played.

in Necromancer

Atherakhia.4086

And to the others, like I said, its a gap closer. You don’t magically appear next to the enemy every fight, and other classes have some form of mobility. This lets you enter fights or catch up to enemies, and if you use it this way you blind them.

Which it wouldn’t have needed if it were an evade like whirlwind.

I’m simply not convinced the class has sufficient tools to survive in a front line capacity. I don’t know how many of you out there GvG or play on a server with blobs the size of mountains, but an evade on this skill would have given a little counterplay beyond just hitting Infusing Terror on every engage.

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

Which it wouldn’t have needed if it were an evade like whirlwind.

I’m simply not convinced the class has sufficient tools to survive in a front line capacity. I don’t know how many of you out there GvG or play on a server with blobs the size of mountains, but an evade on this skill would have given a little counterplay beyond just hitting Infusing Terror on every engage.

Currently we have deathshroud which mitigates damage. I don’t think we need the evade on top of that.

The reason we have infusing terror and relentless pursuit is exactly that, so we can cover our weakness to cc. Sure, we can’t activate endure pain and balanced stance and go ham, but then again, could we ever? This is probably as close as we will get to it. But all in all, I don’t think evades are necessary here. The projectile deflect is nice icing on the cake though

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Atherakhia.4086

We never had access to those things, no. But we were also a ranged class prior. We’ll see this weekend if people do more than PvE and PvP. Hopefully enough are interested in WvW to give it a shot.

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I haven’t played the beta yet, but I’m not surprised you’re all complaining about the same thing: having no movement skills on GS, only one snare that’s longer than melee range, and the only charge locked in DS, it was expected that Reaper would struggle with mobility.

I’m not sure makign it a targeted charge is the best idea though, I think having it work like Burning Speed might let you use it to move around the map quickly as well, or get out of a fight when you’re being focussed. But I’m not sure if that’s viable – are you really gonna jump into shroud in between fights just to move from point to point? And if you have lifeforce and your shroud isn’t on cooldown , would you really need to use Death’s Charge to get out of a fight? I dunno. Like I said, haven’t played the beta yet so I can’t really try out these things, but my guess is having something that allows for freeform movement rather than requiring a target would be better. The problem with making it work like warrior’s Savage Leap is that if you want to use it some other way (ie just for mobility instead of taking a target), you’ll need to clear your target first, which is tricky in a big fight with lots of bodies, too easy to accidentally click on someone else, and then you’ll be running towards the enemy instead of away from them.

From when they showed it, I also thought the charge speed was kinda slow, do you all find that to be the case?

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

moving camera upwards doesnt work, stopped using this skill in actual combat as it just leaps you out of the point.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Once you use the skill, you move the full amount in the direction that you’re facing.

If you have an enemy targeted, you run right past him.

Unless your enemy is stuck on a wall or is the precise max distance away from you and doesn’t move, you will never hit with this skill. (Ie forget about path of corruption on reaper)

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

Whatever you do, don’t use it with slow on you incombat or you will find yourself ending up a mile away.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

awkward skill to use…..would prefer to aim where i go

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Totally agree. It should work like warriors sword 2. So it locks to a target when you have a target. But it works as it does now when you dont have a target.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Its really awkward, I’ve messed myself up a lot using it.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

Whatever you do, don’t use it with slow on you incombat or you will find yourself ending up a mile away.

>__< Ride of the Lightning MK2.

All is vain.

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

Deaths charge through our dark fields gives us a useless combo. :/ who needs one blind when the skill grants are blind.

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

That’s hilarious! So movement skills aren’t affected by chills and cripples, but for some reason they’re actually BUFFED by slow?

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

That’s hilarious! So movement skills aren’t affected by chills and cripples, but for some reason they’re actually BUFFED by slow?

Slow and quickness are action conditions not sure if they would do the same for those two though.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Deaths charge through our dark fields gives us a useless combo. :/ who needs one blind when the skill grants are blind.

well, it helps on break bars.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

well, it helps on break bars.

LOL I can totally rs2 through nightfall with perfect positioning to hit that berserker specialization with a break bar. GG 2% less break bar

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Yeah it should work like the warrior leap on the mainhand sword. So +1 to the op.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Slow/quickness change how long the skill is channeled for, and ANet programmed movement skills to go a certain speed over a certain time. So lets say it goes 100 units per second, if you increase that time channeled from 2→3 seconds it increases the distance moved, which is what slow effectively does.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

After playing for the last few hours I completely agree with you Ron. RS2 should function like ranger great sword four. It dashes until you press it a second time to stop for an instant are blind with damage.

This would not be too hard to implement.

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I thought they changed movement skills to prevent slow and quickness effecting leaps.

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

I thought they changed movement skills to prevent slow and quickness effecting leaps.

Not consistently. It still affects skills like warrior’s Whirlwind. Most likely because it is a channel skill animation and not a leap animation. It might even effect the distance of Ride the Lightning too.

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jackalrat.5493

Jackalrat.5493

Considering how much of the reaper’s kit needs help right now, Death’s Charge is personally the least of my concerns. TBH, all of DS is pretty boss.

The greatsword on the other hand is about as effective as a foam noodle…

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

This skill is going to straight make me mad. It can’t even be properly used as a gap closer because it’s so hard to control against moving targets, and you RARELY get the blind benefit.

Seriously, this charge needs to home a bit better and be allowed to land early, as it stands, this skill is useful for like… starting a fight and that’s basically it…

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

This skill is going to straight make me mad. It can’t even be properly used as a gap closer because it’s so hard to control against moving targets, and you RARELY get the blind benefit.

Seriously, this charge needs to home a bit better and be allowed to land early, as it stands, this skill is useful for like… starting a fight and that’s basically it…

Good for kiting and running away too !

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

To be honest I’ve killed so many people who are JUST out of range with it, but besides that its pretty bad.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Son of Urza.1692

Son of Urza.1692

Going to add my support for this idea. It is way, way too easy to completely miss your target or toss yourself off a cliff with Death’s Charge, and while it’s a decent gap-closer, it’s very difficult to use in close quarters. Make it like Savage Leap or Leap of Faith (leap forward if untargeted, leap to target if targeted) and it would be excellent.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fawkes.2836

Fawkes.2836

Little Info:
I don’t know if any of you tried reaper shroud underwater but Death’s Charge works exactly as you guys want it there…. Moving forward if there’s no target und moving to the target if you have one.
Only difference → it hits only once, at the end of the cast.
I hope they’ll make it work on land as well =)

(edited by Fawkes.2836)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bellamy.9860

Bellamy.9860

Skill is good. Needs to have the “camera angling to reduce distance” property added though.

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

Skill is good. Needs to have the “camera angling to reduce distance” property added though.

It does not need that. No one wants to flip their camera up every 5 seconds while in RS. They just need to give it a flip skill to land early and you get about the same effect but a million times better designed and intuitive.