Caltrops VS Corrosive Poison Cloud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ruufio.1496

Ruufio.1496

Obviously no comparison.

Caltrops can stack 25 bleeds, cripple and trigger signet of malice with every pulse on each enemy.

Corrosive Poison Cloud can poison for 15 seconds and weaken for a short time if the opponent is stupid enough to stand in it. Actually… the opponent would have to be stupid to run out of it, because it isn’t even remotely threatening. Running away would just mean doing less damage for no reason, when you can just stand in it and have it do absolutely nothing to you.

Caltrops is also on a near spammable cooldown. Corrosive Poison Cloud is on a 40 seconds cooldown? lol

What’s the deal here? It is so useless and should have been changed a long time ago.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Skyro.3108

Skyro.3108

Yeah… there’s countless other cross-class examples. Compare the necro’s crit on bleed trait with say the Engi’s. It’s like night and day.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Except that the example given is terrible.

Caltrops has a 30 second cooldown, comparable duration, and causes 2 three second bleeds, and a nice long cripple.

Corrosive poison cloud has 40 second cooldown, and causes poison and weakness. Weakness will drop the incoming damage (excluding existing Dots) by 50% to any non-crit build, and poison will destroy your healing.

Your example gave the absolute best scenario for Caltrops (traited, high endurance regen, enemy standing still, using specific signet) and then didn’t list any of the benefits of Corrosive Poison (essentially a 240 radius that is impossible to fight in).

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

its a “well of caltrops”. just more dmg/duration/lower CD/ less visible.

Though like any other condition, it takes time and can be removed/transfered back at them.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

and poison will destroy your healing.

Except it doesn’t because everyone runs a heal that clears conditions. The condition removal on these abilities occur before the heal itself does, so it makes poison a rather pointless condition to have.

Stuff goes here.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

In the very example given, the heals the caltrops proc were not clearing conditions. And the poison is reapplied multiple times over the time period. Not every source of healing is able to cleanse conditions.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Luke.4562

Luke.4562

Indeed VG Companies create games without any idea on how to balance them, what matters is to catch up more blind peoples as possible through hype and publicities, then let things go and rot. Guys, there is no need to theorycraft or discuss about game’s unbalances, it’s all wasted time, Trollnet won’t even consider our posts. They just feed on psychological dependance and dailies which keep people bound to Gw2.
No need to do the work Trollnet had to do in the Betatest….

ALPHA, BETA, several months, … 1 Year later…“When it’s ready”[cit.]

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

The biggest difference between the two is that caltrops applies it’s conditions every second, stacking bleeds the longer you are in it, so it is to your benefit to get out quickly.
With CPC, it applies 3 second of weakness and poison every 3 seconds, meaning the conditions will only stack up if you have condition duration. This means if you’re actually worried about weakness and poison, you have a slow 3 seconds to walk out of the circle before you take any more conditions.
(I remember I suggested in a thread I made one time to reduce the time between ticks in CPC, which they did, but they didn’t do the other half of the suggestion which was to make the duration longer then the interval, to allow it to stack.)

Also I’d say that bleeds + cripple is more useful then weakness and poison, but that’s an entirely different point.

in Necromancer

Ruufio.1496

If CPC applied its conditions every second like Caltrops, I would consider it as a worthy utility because it already has a targeting option whereas wells need a trait to be targeted. And really, applying its conditions every second wouldn’t even be all that strong anyway.

Does anyone complain about the spammable poison cloud on the trebuchet that inflicts like 30 seconds of poison? Nope. 15 seconds… if the opponent stands in CPC the entire time, is just… rofl.

Also, Luke, you are so right.

This skill has been like this since the kittening beta. In beta, poison stacked and ticked every second like bleeds. Now it’s the worst condition in the game.

Attachments:

(edited by Ruufio.1496)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravien.4823

Ravien.4823

Weakness will drop the incoming damage (excluding existing Dots) by 50% to any non-crit build

Not to be picky, but weakness reduces non-crit damage by an average of 25%, not 50%. (50% chance to deal half damage on an attack)

I agree with making it stack every second, or even every 2 seconds would be a nice improvement to this skill.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

According to your logic, Wells are trash because you can easily dodge out of them. CPC should be used in a similar scenario, when your opponent can’t (for whatever reason) leave the area.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Ruufio.1496

And what situation would that be? When they glitch inside of a post and can’t use /stuck to get out?

I hope you aren’t actually suggesting that CPC is good… lol

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

It needs a buff, I agree, but the initial comparison (the only reason I posted) was terrible, and if you start off a discussion about wanting to get an ability changed with an obviously terrible comparison, you won’t get anywhere.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

It wasn’t a fair comparison, because the two skills are just too different, and are on two different classes. One does poison/weakness, the other does cripple/bleed, so in no way are they similar in that respect. They are both ground aoe’s of a sort with pulses, but the pulses are not similar in time/duration.

It really is an apples to oranges comparison. That being said, CPC is straight awful. I think the theory behind it was that for someone NOT using sceptor, it would be a nice utility to give them access to poison. Problem is, most power builds have no interest in giving up a utility slot for poison, when other classes can do that easier, without sacing a utility. Condition necros don’t need it because they already have poison.

Much like the concept of mortal strike (sorry for the wow reference), unless there is something that literally heals SO MUCH that you MUST have poison on, this isn’t going to ever see any serious play time. And I agree that any intelligent PVP’er either runs their condition clear heal, or can clear conditions before a heal very easily. (Or just wait 3 seconds).

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I think ANet’s thought on CPC was to give necro’s a large area denial ability. You really can’t fight effectively inside the field, the problem is that every build has better options, like you said.

My PvP Minion Build