Chilling Darkness with an ICD?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

Chilling Darkness now has an internal cooldown of 5 seconds.

What the hell was the rationale behind this change? Was this trait causing that much problem that justifies such a big nerf?

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

It was sometimes useful with Plague and made Well of Darkness half-good!

Also, we have more pulsing blind coming in with Nightall.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

it would mean necro’s could fill the cap with ease with this trait.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

So instead of trying to find a work around (perhaps saying "so what? It’s short chill stacks anyway?), they decided to make it worthless, since the only blinds Necros have that are worth using for the blind are those that are AoE pulsing.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Evenna.2519

Evenna.2519

The cap is only five stacks.. not much to speak of.. they changed that with patch to.

in Necromancer

Tim.6450

So instead of trying to find a work around (perhaps saying "so what? It’s short chill stacks anyway?), they decided to make it worthless, since the only blinds Necros have that are worth using for the blind are those that are AoE pulsing.

I do not justify the change, I’m merely trying to enter their thought process. I do not like it, let that be clear.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

The tooltip on the wiki indicates that nightfall will blind once at the end of the skill (which is on a 20s cool down)

Plus if you’re using greatsword, your probably not using offhand dagger (mobility & range concerns), so nightfall doesn’t really increase blind access.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

The tooltip on the wiki indicates that nightfall will blind once at the end of the skill (which is on a 20s cool down)

Plus if you’re using greatsword, your probably not using offhand dagger (mobility & range concerns), so nightfall doesn’t really increase blind access.

The tooltip was taken from the Reaper stream where the devs stated that the tooltip wasn’t accurate anymore as the skill now pulses Blind and Cripple.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Used to yell darkness when I drop the well in wvw so guildies will bomb that place. Not sure if it still worth the slot anymore.

in Necromancer

Evenna.2519

Why would you nerf a specialization before its even been released. How do they know how necro reaper will stack up against the new class and the other specializations. They really don’t.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

This trait went from good to crap. Even if they add more access to blind with reaper, this trait wouldn’t be that powerful. This trait was good to use with Plague, now its gone…

The class need buffs in some aspects, not nerfs.

At least, increase the duration to 5 seconds.

Sorry for my english.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

The nerf is not showing for me…this may be a typing error.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Not much thought going into this nerf. Terrible change.

in Necromancer

nekretaal.6485

Did they put the elementalist dev in charge of necromancer balance? This nerf had to have been made by somebody who doesn’t understand that the necromancer has almost no blind access.

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Did they put the elementalist dev in charge of necromancer balance? This nerf had to have been made by somebody who doesn’t understand that the necromancer has almost no blind access.

“but, but Necros have a lot of Dark fields, which blind when blasted!”

So yeah, you’re probably right.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

Did not see one kittening complaint on kittening chill, or chilling darkness but I sure as hell saw some complaining about how kittening stupid mesmer burst was and how bad burning was, but did anet change that? kitten no. Anet, you are terrible.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Chilling Darkness now has an internal cooldown of 5 seconds.

What the hell was the rationale behind this change? Was this trait causing that much problem that justifies such a big nerf?

They disliked it was more useful than Terrifying Descent.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Yeah this was, of course, intended to balance the Reaper trait that causes Chill to deal condition damage. Deathly Chill iirc? I doln’t know how high that damage is going to be, but presumably they felt it would make condition reapers too strong when paired with Plague and Well of Darkness, especially in zerg fights.

Of course, a sensible question could be why put an ICD on Chilling Darkness and not on Deathly Chill? Well, I guess with Reaper being able to inflict Chill in an AoE with so many different skills, putting an ICD on Deathly Chill itself means that, in group fights, Deathly Chill would often proc on something OTHER than your primary target (a mesmer clone, a ranger pet, a different opponent than the one you’re focussing, whatever) and go on cooldown. Then, when you threw a single-target chill at your primary target, Deathly Chill woudln’t proc again as it would be on cooldown.

I feel sad too, I was kinda looking forward to Chilling Darkness being OP, but it’s hard to see how they couldn’t have balanced Deathly Chill in any other way.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

I just lost all faith in their ability to balance this class completely. I had begun second guessing my decision to delete my necro and was about to make another- in fact I just put together a sustainable chill build using just core specs- but now I know I made the right choice. I will not be coming back here again.

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

in Necromancer

manveruppd.7601

Surely though your chill build didn’t rely on Chilling Darkness that much? We really don’t have that many reliable and consistent blinds outside Plague: Deathly Swarm’s projectile is so slow an old lady with a walker could sidestep it, and Well of Darkness was on a monstrous cooldown.

in Necromancer

Druss.6917

Surely though your chill build didn’t rely on Chilling Darkness that much? We really don’t have that many reliable and consistent blinds outside Plague: Deathly Swarm’s projectile is so slow an old lady with a walker could sidestep it, and Well of Darkness was on a monstrous cooldown.

You use the dark fields to blast into, you don’t rely on the darkness well alone but it was a strong staple of the build yes. It set up for the rest of the rotation. Also with this nerf you can no longer blast for the aoe chill, you get 1 target, then realize you wasted a trait spot because it’s worthless

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

You use the dark fields to blast into,

Wat? Necros really can’t do this.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Street Peddler.2638

Street Peddler.2638

Balanced for an elite spec that might not even come out this year. This trait will never see play again in its current state, great job.

in Necromancer

manveruppd.7601

What did you blast with? Your one 20" blast finisher on staff?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

You use the dark fields to blast into, you don’t rely on the darkness well alone but it was a strong staple of the build yes. It set up for the rest of the rotation. Also with this nerf you can no longer blast for the aoe chill, you get 1 target, then realize you wasted a trait spot because it’s worthless

We have blast finisher?

Yeah ok the minions and staff 4 but the minions are hardly used in a chill build…

in Necromancer

Druss.6917

staff 4, bone minions, then you have shroud 3, duration food and runes to sustain the chill for a time. Not 100% uptime, but it wasn’t meant to be anyway. It’s a part of the build. Without it though it becomes pointless. Might as well just run a cripple spam, or terrormancer… would be more effective

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

staff 4, bone minions, then you have shroud 3, duration food and runes to sustain the chill for a time. Not 100% uptime, but it wasn’t meant to be anyway. It’s a part of the build. Without it though it becomes pointless. Might as well just run a cripple spam, or terrormancer… would be more effective

Since when is shroud 3 (or any shroud skill) a blast finisher?

in Necromancer

Druss.6917

Doesn’t really matter how you feel about the build anyway, it’s borked now. And reaper is going to feel the lasting effects of this. They had already nerfed the dog kitten out of reaper’s chills this was just icing on the cake. Done with necro for good because I don’t forsee it getting better in the future, only worse from here. Btw those “buffs” we got today were really just fixes that never should have been broken to begin with. You can’t break someone’s tools then glue them back together and tell them you bought them shiny new ones.

in Necromancer

Druss.6917

I did not say shroud 3 was a blast
was a mistype anyway meant 2 (dark path)

in Necromancer

nekretaal.6485

Reaper shroud 3 will chill

in Necromancer

Posted by: cephalo.3974

cephalo.3974

plague skill 2 and well of darkness are now useless with that 5 sec ICD …. this trait was played without any complain since the beginning and was a nice CC for necro in WvW zerg….
Anet found a nice way to reduce the nercromancer build versatility… while supposed to do the opposite with HoT annoucement … sad …

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Reaper shroud 3 will chill

It isnt a blast finisher though, something he did imply with his words, which he probably didnt intend to.

in Necromancer

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

I did not say shroud 3 was a blast
was a mistype anyway meant 2 (dark path)

Since when does any decent player save staff 4 to use it as a blast finisher?
Why would you ever use bone minions outside of MM builds?

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

HAHAAHHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAHAGAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAHAHAJJAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAHHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAHAGAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAHAHAJJAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This shows that the Necro design team has absolutely no idea what they are doing with Necro. Lmfao

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

This change makes very little sense. The class has very limited access to blind and already has enormous problems with mobility and its ability to maintain range on opponents. I mean this trait is now 100% useless. Before it was only marginally useful if you ran tripple well. But now? I don’t know what they were thinking…

I’m also curious how much damage this new chill trait is going to do. Perhaps ANets design goal is to make chill our ‘burn’ since Dhuumfire is such crap and the class has little/no burst condi pressure. But seeing as how burn doesn’t have a 5 stack cap, and there are classes capable of maintaining 10-15 stacks of burn with ease, I wonder what this means for chill’s damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

People took Chilling Darkness? Over Plague Sending?

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

The only conceivable reason I can concoct for this madness is that some dev thought that Chilling Darkness and Bitter Chill made Necros Vuln stacking “OP”. Were people even doing this in PvP? Was this even a thing?

Oh well. We still have Plague Sending at least (at least until they nerf that into oblivion too).

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

in Necromancer

Evenna.2519

Oh gosh I didnt even think about the Vulnerability… wow it nerfed that to. Good catch..

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

It only nerfed vuln stacking through chilling darkness. The stack cap has no effect on bitter chill.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Breedlove.1245

Breedlove.1245

The only conceivable reason I can concoct for this madness is that some dev thought that Chilling Darkness and Bitter Chill made Necros Vuln stacking “OP”. Were people even doing this in PvP? Was this even a thing?

Oh well. We still have Plague Sending at least (at least until they nerf that into oblivion too).

I was just thinking this, even though i only just recently discovered that trait really. This change saddens me though. Well of Darkness and Plague were the only reasons i even used the Chilling Darkness trait in PvP. We shall have to see if this really makes a BIG change for it or not.

Did you come here to kill? Or did you come here to die?

in Necromancer

Evenna.2519

It only nerfed vuln stacking through chilling darkness. The stack cap has no effect on bitter chill.

I can’t get on to test it but have you? Can you stack more then five stacks of Vuln? With bitter chill?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

I can’t get on to test it but have you? Can you stack more then five stacks of Vuln? With bitter chill?

You can.

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jayce.5632

Jayce.5632

I would much rather ArenaNet adjust deathly chill from the reaper specialization instead of an internal cooldown on chilling darkness.

i7-6700K – M.2 PCIe 512GB R/W:2500/1500MB/s
GTX 980M – SSD 512GB R/W:550/520MB/s
17.3" 1080p – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

Can we all just agree that this trait got hit by Isaiah’s Balance?

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blizt.3086

Blizt.3086

Geez, I was just having fun with my build that use Well of Darkness and Plague…

I had thought this trait was interesting that when Reaper is out I can make a chill build with it, now that’s clearly not possible, pft.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Wahoo! Bye frands!

they did on power builds pre patch when plague sending did not exist and after until now. turning plague and well of darkness to a chill pulsing machine helps bomb people in large scale fight in wvw. curses now doesnt enhance the powermancer much aside from defensive gimmicks

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Chilling Darkness had a niche in WvW, now they probably should just remove the trait and give us something else useful as a selection.

in Necromancer

Tim.6450

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Sometimes when I want to try a defensive build. well of darkness, master of corruption, withering precision (only for the shroud one). Plague sending without precision wouldn’t proc so much.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

manveruppd.7601

Can we all just agree that this trait got hit by Isaiah’s Balance?

Isaiah’s Balance can only hit something that was ACTUALLY overpowered before it was nerfed! :p

in Necromancer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Why would you nerf a specialization before its even been released. How do they know how necro reaper will stack up against the new class and the other specializations. They really don’t.

Um … I think out of all people, Anet will know this best. You have realize they have the most access to trying out their new ideas, even in the most elementary testing environments.