[ELITE CLASS] the death Knight

in Necromancer

Posted by: tontonUB.4687

tontonUB.4687

Hello,

Instead of saying again how bad necro is nowadays (imo), here’s an idea for a necromancer elite class :
THE DEATHKNIGHT (fit perfectly with necromancer death theme)
main theme = poison damage / frost (chill)
>>> no new utility skill !!! (may be fix some of existent ones, and add some viable elites, like an elite signet ? )

Minor traits :
——————————————————————————————
1st/ change Deathshroud
- renamed KILLING MACHINE
- no longer replace skills #1 to #5
- apply a pbaoe direct damage (low damage), pulsating every second
- radius 400
- duration : 0,5 sec for every 1000 lifeforce gauge when activated

2nd/ allows to wear axe as off hand
- Ice reach – new axe skill #4 : 600 insta TP – chill target for 1 sec + low direct damage – CD 10 sec
- Frost breath – new axe skill #5 : range 600 – affects up to 5 targets – direct damage – medium damage – CD 20 sec

with axe as off hand (effectively worn), axe mainhand skills are modified like this :
- Rending Claws – attack speed 0,5 sec (instead of 1 sec)
- Ghastly Claws – cast time 1 sec
- Unholy feast – instant cast

3rd/ allows the character to equip heavy armor (we’re talkin’ about a knight!)

MAJOR TRAITS :
A) 1st – THE DEATH CAN’T DIE
Under killing machine effect : 50% damage reduction

A) 2nd – VENOM STRIKES
Rending claws now applies 1 stack of poison for 10 seconds on critical strike (5 sec ICD)

A) 3rd – ICE FLOW
Increase Ice reach range to 900
B) 1st – DEATH ADVANCE
Under Killing machine effect : gain 3 stacks of stability every sec
AND remove all control when activating

B) 2nd – DEADLY BLIZZARD
Frost breath range increased to 900 – add a venom effect (poison damage) on each target for 10 sec AND apply chill for 3 sec

B) 3rd – POISON IN MY VEINS
Poison applied to character don’t harm, and heal him for a small amount on each tick
C) 1st – ICEMAN
Chill effect applied to character give 10 sec of regeneration (and up to 5 allies in a 600 radius)- ICD 10 sec

C) 2nd – ICE AEGIS
Entering / exiting from Killing machine give one layer of aegis for 9 sec (for whole team) – ICD 10 sec

C) 3rd – SINISTER URGE
When exiting from killing machine, gain speed and quickness for 6 seconds (for whole team) – ICD 15 sec

IDEA FOR SOME ELITE SIGNET

Undying Oath (60 to 90 seconds base CD)
>>> passive effect
- improve condition damage by 180
- 3% life force generation par second (in and out of fight)
- exiting / entering shroud (death / reaper shroud or killing machine) heal character for a medium amount (team included)

>>> active effect
- regenerate 66% life force
- give regeneration and protection for a few seconds (team included)

FINAL THOUGHT :
I really think reviewed / slightly enhanced signets could fit Death Knight theme and gameplay.

Thank you for reading.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Hello,

Instead of saying again how bad necro is nowadays (imo)

necro isnt bad

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Sorry but i dont think Anet will ever change armor classes with e-specs. So every of our future e-specs will be light armored.

in Necromancer

Sarrs.4831

Sorry but i dont think Anet will ever change armor classes with e-specs. So every of our future e-specs will be light armored.

I honestly like the idea of changing armor class with especs but I don’t think it’s very realistic at all. There’s likely a lot of backend changes that would need to be made for relatively little return.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Necromancer

Posted by: Eneldiar.9670

Eneldiar.9670

Idk if I’d want them to have another elite spec that tries to focus on the chill/frost thing. Reaper sorta kinda tried to do that (though not to the extent you’re going for) and it was meh.

If there were a death knight-style class, I think it’d be cool to have it be one that can siphon life with every attack and just never die. They’d obviously have to balance that somehow, but it would be cool.

You’re idea for Death Shroud, though, I thought was really neat. I know a lot of other necros who just use DS for the added health pool, but hate the change in their skills. Having a 3rd DS that ONLY provides access to the life force without changing skills would be cool.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Yeah, we already tried chill based spec – which was nerfed into oblivion – why would we do that again?

Also, we already have lifesteals and they are terrible.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Eneldiar.9670

Eneldiar.9670

Yeah, we already tried chill based spec – which was nerfed into oblivion – why would we do that again?

Also, we already have lifesteals and they are terrible.

That’s what I meant. Lifesteal that isn’t terrible. Whether or not they could achieve that…is an entirely different story

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

I always cringe when I see an ESpec suggestion that looks taken straight out of WoW. Plagiarizing other known franchises is just lack of creativity. Although I have a creeping suspicion that this suggestion isn’t entirely serious.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Sarrs.4831

Although I have a creeping suspicion that this suggestion isn’t entirely serious.

I think it’s serious – and I don’t mean to make fun of or demean the OP by saying this – it sounds like a teenager’s idea.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

I actually like this idea.

- Allow espec to wear heavy armor
- Expand on augmenting Axe through traits.

I think the death shroud should also be a melee based one but instead of like a scythe it should be a two handed executioners axe which gives added bonuses to defeating downed state enemies.

hmm

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

you seem to just have a hard-on for nerfing enemies into the ground with conditions like chill blind and weakness. so i suggest instead of calling necro bad (lol) how about you just use necro to do exactly what you want it to do with a build like this

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbC10gF1AO3Ac4gliBLKA8t6Wx9whYSk6JMFqVA-T1BGABSp8DS1fqTXww7PY+lAAgnAgeKBJFw3KtA-w

in Necromancer

Posted by: Plastazote.7914

Plastazote.7914

I always cringe when I see an ESpec suggestion that looks taken straight out of WoW. Plagiarizing other known franchises is just lack of creativity.

I disagree. Lots of MMO’s borrow ideas from each other and make small changes to them. GW2 had the Lifeforce mechanic first. WoW gave shadowpriests insanity later in Legion. Insanity is essentially the same as Lifeforce but gives damage instead of a health bar and builds from using skills instead of enemy deaths and is faster paced because of it.

in Necromancer

Yannir.4132

I always cringe when I see an ESpec suggestion that looks taken straight out of WoW. Plagiarizing other known franchises is just lack of creativity.

I disagree. Lots of MMO’s borrow ideas from each other and make small changes to them. GW2 had the Lifeforce mechanic first. WoW gave shadowpriests insanity later in Legion. Insanity is essentially the same as Lifeforce but gives damage instead of a health bar and builds from using skills instead of enemy deaths and is faster paced because of it.

That’s different, and you know it. Something mechanical like that isn’t plagiarizing since GW2 was hardly the first one to use it.

But making a class and calling it a DEATH KNIGHT isn’t about mechanics, it’s about creative and intellectual property. It would infringe on copyright issues even if it was nothing like the DK’s in WoW. It could be dancing around in a Hawaiian skirt shooting bunnies out of a ballista but if it’s called a Death Knight, it violates on that copyright. Mechanics don’t violate copyright since they are shared property.

All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

That’s different, and you know it. Something mechanical like that isn’t plagiarizing since GW2 was hardly the first one to use it.

But making a class and calling it a DEATH KNIGHT isn’t about mechanics, it’s about creative and intellectual property. It would infringe on copyright issues even if it was nothing like the DK’s in WoW. It could be dancing around in a Hawaiian skirt shooting bunnies out of a ballista but if it’s called a Death Knight, it violates on that copyright. Mechanics don’t violate copyright since they are shared property.

No, naming it death knight isnt the problem. Heck blizzard werent even the first one to name something death knight. D&D for example had death knights way before blizzard.

That said i doubt Anet will go the death knight route.

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in Necromancer

Yannir.4132

No, naming it death knight isnt the problem. Heck blizzard werent even the first one to name something death knight. D&D for example had death knights way before blizzard.

AFAIK D&D has Blackguards but no death knights

All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

AFAIK D&D has Blackguards but no death knights

Nope see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_knight_

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

I honestly like the idea of changing armor class with especs but I don’t think it’s very realistic at all. There’s likely a lot of backend changes that would need to be made for relatively little return.

I don’t think it would be hard at all.

However, it wouldn’t be good to force people to change armor sets. I think the end goal should be for armor weight to be removed altogether, letting anyone equip any skin (limiting combinations to those of the same skin-weight).

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

in Necromancer

Plastazote.7914

I think you would be right if someone blatantly tried to copy every aspect of WoW’s Death Knight and use it for themselves (Runes, runic power, lore etc). Even if someone tried it would probably feel very different since the games work differently. GW2 has utilities and weapon sets which are solely cooldown based which makes rotations feel more random. WoW’s skills feel more based on the mechanics of the class. (I hope GW2 learns from WoW in that sense).

I think it’s fine to use the idea of a “dark knight” and maybe a mechanic or two. At the end of the day hopefully developers share and learn from each other’s ideas and we have even better fleshed out games to get attached to.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m pretty sure “Reaper” is the death knight of gw2.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Necromancer

Plastazote.7914

I’m pretty sure “Reaper” is the death knight of gw2.

I agree. It’s just sad how it falls so short. :’(

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rune Darkmoor.3269

Rune Darkmoor.3269

If they add something death Knight like it would probably be a condi GS that functions as a range weapon Revenant elite spec that would tie up loose ends for Mallyx to unify a complete condie Rev. That’s where I’d actually see that before necro. (heavy armor and all)

Although what legendary figure would fit that role I have no idea.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Hello,

Instead of saying again how bad necro is nowadays (imo), here’s an idea for a necromancer elite class :
THE DEATHKNIGHT (fit perfectly with necromancer death theme)
main theme = poison damage / frost (chill)
>>> no new utility skill !!! (may be fix some of existent ones, and add some viable elites, like an elite signet ? )

Minor traits :
1st/ change Deathshroud
- renamed KILLING MACHINE
- no longer replace skills #1 to #5
- apply a pbaoe direct damage (low damage), pulsating every second
- radius 400
- duration : 0,5 sec for every 1000 lifeforce gauge when activated

2nd/ allows to wear axe as off hand
- Ice reach – new axe skill #4 : 600 insta TP – chill target for 1 sec + low direct damage – CD 10 sec
- Frost breath – new axe skill #5 : range 600 – affects up to 5 targets – direct damage – medium damage – CD 20 sec

with axe as off hand (effectively worn), axe mainhand skills are modified like this :
- Rending Claws – attack speed 0,5 sec (instead of 1 sec)
- Ghastly Claws – cast time 1 sec
- Unholy feast – instant cast

3rd/ allows the character to equip heavy armor (we’re talkin’ about a knight!)

MAJOR TRAITS :
A) 1st – THE DEATH CAN’T DIE
Under killing machine effect : 50% damage reduction

A) 2nd – VENOM STRIKES
Rending claws now applies 1 stack of poison for 10 seconds on critical strike (5 sec ICD)

A) 3rd – ICE FLOW
Increase Ice reach range to 900
B) 1st – DEATH ADVANCE
Under Killing machine effect : gain 3 stacks of stability every sec
AND remove all control when activating

B) 2nd – DEADLY BLIZZARD
Frost breath range increased to 900 – add a venom effect (poison damage) on each target for 10 sec AND apply chill for 3 sec

B) 3rd – POISON IN MY VEINS
Poison applied to character don’t harm, and heal him for a small amount on each tick
C) 1st – ICEMAN
Chill effect applied to character give 10 sec of regeneration (and up to 5 allies in a 600 radius)- ICD 10 sec

C) 2nd – ICE AEGIS
Entering / exiting from Killing machine give one layer of aegis for 9 sec (for whole team) – ICD 10 sec

C) 3rd – SINISTER URGE
When exiting from killing machine, gain speed and quickness for 6 seconds (for whole team) – ICD 15 sec

IDEA FOR SOME ELITE SIGNET

Undying Oath (60 to 90 seconds base CD)
>>> passive effect
- improve condition damage by 180
- 3% life force generation par second (in and out of fight)
- exiting / entering shroud (death / reaper shroud or killing machine) heal character for a medium amount (team included)

>>> active effect
- regenerate 66% life force
- give regeneration and protection for a few seconds (team included)

FINAL THOUGHT :
I really think reviewed / slightly enhanced signets could fit Death Knight theme and gameplay.

Thank you for reading.

I thought Reaper was the GW2 version of the Death Knight, you’ve got a Blood variant that plays like a Blood DK with out Death Strike, Reaper has chill built into it like a Frost DK, hell you could go all condition with Minions to mimick an Unholy DK.

in Necromancer

Posted by: tontonUB.4687

tontonUB.4687

Nice to see some reactions !
I’d share some random though after reading replies :

- DK inspiration comes from books, novels, paper RPG, and first videogames allowing to play one. For more visual impact, just check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Dealer_(painting)#/media/File:DeathDealer.jpg

- I don’t care about name particulary : call it Death knight, dread knight, void knight or whatever you like, what count is playstyle.

- About playstyle : necro elite is not good from my point of view (both mechanics and playstyle), and revenant disapointed me a lot (always in term of gameplay and mechanics, so gimmicky).
All i’d like is to be able to play some magic warrior (heavy armored) linked to poison / frost / death in GW2.

- On a more general aspect, i still dont understand why dev (in all mmo, not GW2 only) try to re invent cold water, game after game, since players mainly ask for solid intepretations of great classics character (barbarian as elite warrior, fire or frost mage as mage elite, etc …). So many games try to be original, more new than new , and fail or fall in the ‘monthy hall hell’. And for which result ? Mmos sinking one by one …

-

in Necromancer

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

your idea for DS would be fantastic

in Necromancer

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

If you really want to hit home with the undying overlord theme, how about we give this e-spec some banners?
Here’s what I could come up with:

• For Healing
    -Banner of Blood: Heal yourself, allies gain regeneration when they strike a foe
  • For Utilities
    -Banner of Preserving: Allies cure a condition when they use a utility skill
    -Banner of Entropy: Allies gain condition duration and reduced incoming condition duration
    -Banner of Bones: Allies have a chance to summon their own shambling horror on strike

That’s all I got :/