Every day i play GS, its worse

in Necromancer

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

The range of 130 and 170 on GS 1 and 2 are way to low. The ranges need to be like 200+, it’s a great long sword off course?

agreed AA-170, GD -200
Warrior GS has 130 range, but its attacks are faster. Till now nobody complained about its range, because of the speed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Darkheron.6271

Darkheron.6271

It’s just slow and super unfun even more so than the scrapper hammer imo. The spammable execute is pretty good but so long and boring that along with the AA it takes the fun out of the weapon. The best thing to do imo is just to dip into it for the execute and the utilities, and spend as much time in shroud and another weapon as possible. Not really camp in it.

It would make a decent hybrid weapon if at least one of the conditions it generated was a damage condition, but I can’t really even find a place for it in a hybrid build.

Just my .02

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

It’s OK if people don’t find the GS suits them. It definitely has its own style. I personally use GS a lot, and I like it more the more I use it.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zero Solstice.9754

Zero Solstice.9754

I have used mostly GS in my power builds in all walks of the game since HoT launched, and I can personally say that it works to great effect pretty much everywhere. I feel people only complain about the speed of the abilities because every other Necro weapon is so much faster in comparison. If you have ever enjoyed Mediguard and played the Hammer variant, you would know that the speed and numbers on that weapon are roughly equivalent, and that weapon/build was meta for around a year, only really being knocked out by classes with teleports seeing increased play, reducing the effectiveness of Ring of Warding. I find the general utility and damage of the Greatsword to be great in farming Fractals, running regular PvE content, holding nodes in PvP, and even when zerg crashing in WvW.

A lot of people would probably like to see speed increases, but for the damage and flavor that Greatsword has, I don’t see it as necessary.

“Reaper’s only big weakness will be that you have to play Necromancer to use it”
~Bhawb.7409

in Necromancer

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Still using the GS since my comment about not liking it the other day. I finally swapped out my staff for it instead of my offhand set, it works a lot better. I’m running axe/focus (I’ve always disagreed with axe hate its a good weapon imo) and GS..

The axe/focus is the main set but the GS when used at the right times has become very valuable to me.

4 is great everyone agrees,

3 I personally find useful because my build relies on vuln stacking a lot.

5 is very situational and you need to only use it when you know it’s going to work(much like spectral grasp has always been wonky)..

skill 2 is amazing when you set it up by baiting dodges and stunbreaks with reapers shroud.. I’ve also used it to down multiple lower health enemies at once which none of my other necro tools could have done that.

If I’m using 1 spam on any weapon, it’s not a vital thing I’m doing so I don’t really mind the slowness of it, besides I don’t have issues landing it when I want to and it does huge damage.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

bahahahaahahaha

I just…
played another game on GS….
haha it is soo bad i dont think i got carried that hard in a while.

Instead of bribing enemy team to lose, you can just subtly pay necro to go GS.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Flumek.9043

Sh kiitenest weapon ever

No condi clear
No lifeforce
No mobilty
+
Slow hits and fancy but non working pull

I seriously consider afking games if i see someone wearing it.

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

Flumek, you’re exaggerating for effect, and it isn’t helping the discussion in any way. You don’t have to like the GS, but just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Greatsword is not necessarily the best PvP weapon. It does not have to be. Necromancer’s main complaint over the last three years has been a lack of PvE utility. Greatsword helps a lot there.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anubris.8591

Anubris.8591

Flumek, you’re exaggerating for effect, and it isn’t helping the discussion in any way. You don’t have to like the GS, but just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

What exactly is he exaggerating?

Chill reduces damage taken, increases enemy cooldown and keeps enemy in melee range. I think that’s important. Don’t you?

The gap closer GS 5 doesn’t work and AA never lands the final hit for chill. So no chill application on a weapon designed for chill application.

Sounds pretty god awful to me.

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

What exactly is he exaggerating?

Chill reduces damage taken, increases enemy cooldown and keeps enemy in melee range. I think that’s important. Don’t you?

The gap closer GS 5 doesn’t work and AA never lands the final hit for chill. So no chill application on a weapon designed for chill application.

Sounds pretty god awful to me.

I’ve seen GS 5 work many times for me. You also have 12 vuln/12% LF on one of your abilities, and a pulsing blind field on another. You also have an AoE ability on a short cooldown that people almost have to dodge. And if they dodge it, you can play off of it.

Sounds pretty good to me.

in Necromancer

Flumek.9043

Cmon,
dont play devils advocate and be honest

I do, or rather would very much like to like it. Even gifted skins for it.

But a personal taste has no effect on a fact.
Im not even exagerating.
Im really not.

In betas and before BB nerf,
the bugged shout and BB gave more lifeforce,
which covered for its weakness.

All I did was revisit my thread, play a few games and gave feedback.
In PVP it has nothing and is therefore a low tier garbage weapon.
In PVE i hear its ok tho.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mallis.4295

Mallis.4295

I find GS to be fine besides the auto which I think is way too slow. No problems with any of the other abilities.

The pull is kinda buggy I guess. It doesn’t work like other pulls (doesn’t affect break bars or remove stability) so I’m not sure how it’s implemented. I feel like an easy fix would to be putting the damage/chill when the claws go out and have it mark anyone that gets hit then have them get pulled like Guard GS 5 when the claws come back.

(edited by Mallis.4295)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anubris.8591

Anubris.8591

Somehow the pull seems to work better now. I tested it a few times shooting it at inclined terrain, and it seems to spawn on top of the terrain, instead of in it (like it used to). Need to do more testing on players to confirm.

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

I’m being honest. I love GS so far, and I can’t wait to use it more. In PvP.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

Greatsword and Reaper in general don’t seem to have any issues with lifeforce. I think the only time it even could is if you’re spamming a very low damage Gravedigger and not actually killing anything.

in Necromancer

Posted by: drgast.1469

drgast.1469

It just feels too slow. The auto-attack chain needs to be changed a little. Personally, I think the first two strikes need to be 1/2-1/2 with the last strike fine at 1 sec with the current damage output. Though, to be honest…I’d rather the whole chain be sped up…even if they have to reduce damage on the skills. It’s just too slow.

The whole chain is 2.5 seconds….with my current gear/traits/etc I’m looking at….

Necro GS Auto is 2.5 sec (.75+.75+1) for roughly 3.3k = 79.2k damage per minute

Guard GS Auto is 1.5 sec (.5+.5+.5) for roughly 2.8k= 112k damage per minute

Warrior GS Auto is 1.5 sec (.5+.5+.5) for roughly 2.6k = 104k damage per minute

Now, I know this is a super rough comparison and doesn’t account for a lot of things, but just eyeballing my characters in this way disturbs me. I understand it’s probably not even the most accurate of eyeball tests, but still. Geez.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Berullos.6928

Berullos.6928

Greatsword is great in pve. However if you look at it carefully its a hybrid weapon due to the fact chill can damage.

Add in sinister and it becomes the perfect hybrid melee weapon. You can’t use dagger/warhorn as thats pure power. And scepter/dagger is just condi. Greatsword along with staff are hybrids.

Yes, the GS5 is buggy and that needs to be fixed, however its not bad when you get used to it. The main thing that bugs me is the cone is really crappy, along with the weird range of 750, why not 900? And majority of the time I don’t like using gravedigger because the casttime isnt worth it. Auto chain just gives life force and chill which just ends up better. GS3 nice vuln and life gain. GS4 is blind spam and thats good in general.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Naustis.8510

Naustis.8510

GS is not pvp weapon, deal with it. For me they can even reducee the GS dmg in pvp by 90% if this allow aNet to buff necro in PvE even more

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Greatsword is great in pve. However if you look at it carefully its a hybrid weapon due to the fact chill can damage.

That’s not really how hybrid weapons work. Everything about it is a power weapon, and while that one trait happens to make some abilities deal condition damage that’s like saying Barbed Precision makes dagger a hybrid weapon. GS is pure power.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

That’s not really how hybrid weapons work. Everything about it is a power weapon, and while that one trait happens to make some abilities deal condition damage that’s like saying Barbed Precision makes dagger a hybrid weapon. GS is pure power.

I agree with Bhawb here.
It feels like the entire reaper spec is the necro answer to the power build we’d all been playing with the dagger.
They basically just gave us what we had been asking for.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

I have two different reaper builds atm. One is a chill build that works really well with the gs. The other is a strange one but I have a little harder time using it than the other

I admit the GS can use some tweaks. Many good suggestions have been made. Mine would be the following:

GS3 Death Spiral: gets a short-range (250) dash. Nothing extravagant, just a bit of mobility in the thrust to keep up with fleeing targets. Maybe add a leap finisher.

GS5 Grasping Darkness: make it non-target / skill shot. Would become more reliable. (Add an indicator on the ground like wars GS3)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Still using the GS since my comment about not liking it the other day. I finally swapped out my staff for it instead of my offhand set, it works a lot better. I’m running axe/focus (I’ve always disagreed with axe hate its a good weapon imo) and GS..

The axe/focus is the main set but the GS when used at the right times has become very valuable to me.

5 is very situational and you need to only use it when you know it’s going to work(much like spectral grasp has always been wonky)..

skill 2 is amazing when you set it up by baiting dodges and stunbreaks with reapers shroud.. I’ve also used it to down multiple lower health enemies at once which none of my other necro tools could have done that.

If I’m using 1 spam on any weapon, it’s not a vital thing I’m doing so I don’t really mind the slowness of it, besides I don’t have issues landing it when I want to and it does huge damage.

I dumped staff too, Axe give more range threat, while RS and GS for melee attackers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I agree with Bhawb here.
It feels like the entire reaper spec is the necro answer to the power build we’d all been playing with the dagger.
They basically just gave us what we had been asking for.

Well, more or less. I’d also like the Dagger’s issues to be fixed and for a selfish Blood GM trait for non-Well builds, but I’m pretty happy with Reaper as it stands anyway.

The traitline is also pretty darn good for Condi, though not with Greatsword. S/D+Staff puts damaging conditions on every single weapon except the Staff autoattack.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dreaming serpent.5197

Dreaming serpent.5197

I dumped staff too, Axe give more range threat, while RS and GS for melee attackers

Sameize. I’ve been Running a Axe/Wh GreatSword well pure zerker in pvp and having a blast. It’s not meta by far, but the wells really sustain you in a team fight and gravedigger can literally take people from 75% health to downed.

For Best effect, use spectral grasp, give life force, and they don’t expect a second pull from gs.

Jake Demoni -Necromancer- “Please stop moa-ing me”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Sameize. I’ve been Running a Axe/Wh GreatSword well pure zerker in pvp and having a blast. It’s not meta by far, but the wells really sustain you in a team fight and gravedigger can literally take people from 75% health to downed.

For Best effect, use spectral grasp, give life force, and they don’t expect a second pull from gs.

If only the gokitten skill would connect when it should be >.<

in Necromancer

BoogerSammich.7189

If only the gokitten skill would connect when it should be >.<

This^^
The pull on GS5 doesn’t seem to be reliable at all.
It feels like a crapshoot as to whether or not it will actually pull, and if so how far will it pull?
GS could also benefit from a small “out-of-shroud” gap closer and possibly even a short root.
But that’s asking a lot i guess.

in Necromancer

Flumek.9043

GS3 Death Spiral: gets a short-range (250) dash. Nothing extravagant, just a bit of mobility in the thrust to keep up with fleeing targets. Maybe add a leap finisher.

OMG.
Im mind blown.

DevilMayCry , Dantes Rebellion pierce attack.

Would be soo good, ofc the dash range should be low, with a leap combo.
Example at 0:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_p0uEnfjc
Edit: maybe the ending thrust hit of the combo at 0:20 even better as its short range

in Necromancer

BoogerSammich.7189

OMG.
Im mind blown.

DevilMayCry , Dantes Rebellion pierce attack.

Would be soo good, ofc the dash range should be low, with a leap combo.
Example at 0:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_p0uEnfjc
Edit: maybe the ending thrust hit of the combo at 0:20 even better as its short range

^^Yeah, what they said.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Starfall.6425

Starfall.6425

if you want to play with gs as you used to play with dagger/warhorn pre hot, than youre right…., gs doesnt rly work, its weaker

gs offers a new, unique way of playstyle, wich is different from dagger/warhorn, but not worse…, learn it and get used to it

How does one get used to a weapon where the auto and gap closer never works?

I don’t see why dagger and gs can’t fulfill melee damage builds in different ways – dagger better single target damage and mobility/speed and GS less single target damage but better aoe damage and defense with chill applications.

I mean isn’t that what the GS was supposed to be? A cleave weapon that complements team play by debuffing and conditioning enemies with chill? It doesn’t do any of that.

It’s a PVP failure.

Tell its a pvp failure to crying enemies that whisper me that im broken and wtf is this , when i hit them for 10k . You obviously not have a clue . Gs is the best single and aoe dmg necro has . Learn to play . Ppl like u are the reason necro has “bad name”

GS in PvP is bad against equally skilled or better players. Just because you found enemies that let you stay sticky and wreck them with gravedigger doesn’t mean “we have no clue”.

(Power)Reapers will still play with d/wh and use the shroud for cleave.

I dont think they "let me " . It’s just they dont have other choice. You know u are very mobile using GS ? the fact skills are slow doesnt mean u cant walk in the meanwhile . So yeah , when u neglect the idea of having 12 stacks of vuln in about 1 sec , then yes , u dont have any clue .
P.s : You know i got plenty of whispers from necros running Dagger in pvp " wow u did well , what is your build? " . Dagger was good pre HOT now its OUTDATED
P.s2 just my personal opinion no offense to anyone

1) GS has NOT A SINGLE movement ability, how does GS make you more mobile? oô
2) Yes even if skills are slow you can move, but if they are slow your enemy can move and dodge too.
3) If you think dagger is outdated in pvp I’m sorry for you.. you are missing out on an epic root, fast AA with good lifeforce and with the WH on the swiftness. With GS/ST you are literally always running around with 100% unless you waste important lifefforce to use the RS charge.

GS in PvP is a high risk high reward weapon with currently (buggy GS5, clunky play) too much risk.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Yup using GS in PvP is high high risk. I find myself getting hit more because I’m faced with the decision of either dodging an attack and putting my already slow GS attacks on cooldown, or tank it and hope for the best so I can get that swing in. Honestly using GS has gotten me killed more than ever. Not surprisingly I’ve never had that issue since I switched back to Dagger/Warhorn.

GS is bad for the heart. Great weapon for PvE though, and doable as WvW frontline Reaper. Anything else, ugh.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Question: Anet were you intending to make the gs a faster swing chain in the first place? Because I remember that Marjory chick had a gs long ago and a fresh new gs swing to boot that hits a lot faster than the current attack chain using the normal swings. Whatever happened to that?

edit: Yea this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIsgotF-AXw

Säïnt

in Necromancer

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

Maybe you guys should stop playing with greatsword in pvp, then you would be less frustrated by it and see how awesome it is in pve. By the way, who plays a necromancer in pvp in the first place? Didn’t you learn anything in the past 3 years?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mallis.4295

Mallis.4295

GS is fine in pvp if you don’t auto. The auto is really bad. But the 3/4 are really good. Dump 4 hit someone with 3 attempt to slap someone for 10k+ with 2 hope 5 doesn’t bug and pulls people into your wells/4 then go back to RS.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

GS is good for downed cleaving in PvP. That would be it, I guess.

I liked it in PvE though.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Any of the other skills are just way to slow with long CDs

This. I don’t understand Anet’s obsession with long cooldowns. We don’t have many skills in this game and therefore no skill should have more than 15 sec cd. I always force myself to come up with weapon / build combos with low cooldowns for fast-paced combat. Long cd weapons make me sick.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

By the way, who plays a necromancer in pvp in the first place? Didn’t you learn anything in the past 3 years?

Well where other then pvp/wvw would you run a necro? Pretty sure in those 3 years pve was our worst spot…