Future of our Specializations

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

There has been allot of discussion on what the future of our elite specializations could go into. Though it seems to have been focused more on Conditions than anything else. The reaper is heavily focused on chill but that doesn’t mean that a new elite specialization, say Lich, would have to be focused on something like poison or modifying conditions in some way. We could get an entire Elite specialization that doesn’t provide anything for condition specs at face value.

Another thing I keep noticing is this idea that an elite specialization has to change our Shroud in some way. And I feel that it really doesn’t have to. Getting a brand new shroud for each specialization would be nice, but we can expand in so many different directions that I feel it wouldn’t have to go that way.

A few options I see with the necromancer that are on theme speak specifically to what is important to us. Life force, Conditions, Life stealing and health. We can have elite specializations focused around condition application like the reaper is. We can also have Specializations focused on the generation and use of Life force. Another interesting idea is the idea of using health as a resource for the necromancer. Orders have been tossed around as a necromancer skill that should come back over and over again and that plays right into that idea. Life stealing is a big part of the necromancer and having specializations that focus on other aspects of the necromancer could be extremely interesting. Aside from the core Blood magic trait line of course.

I’ve been playing with this idea for a while with a Ritualist specialization that uses Life force generation as a means to support allies through healing or boons. But also was playing with it along the idea of spending life force if my utility in shroud suggestion was put into the game. It created allot of new and interesting mechanics that it could do, but it wasn’t the only idea I had.

Who says if in the future we get utility in death shroud that perhaps a Elite specialization will give us 5 new death shroud skills rather than our utility as a part of that specialization? Perhaps we don’t get anything new in Death shroud but get f2-5 skills that spend life force in completely new ways. Sure the option to get a new shroud is always there, but that shouldn’t limit the imagination of the developers or the players into what realms we could dip into with our profession.

Personally, I like the idea of an Elite specialization that uses life force in new and exciting ways more than just replacing your shroud with a new shroud. A push pull element of the necromancer has been something I’ve wanted for the profession for a long time. And with the Elite specializations we could get that eventually.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vorgryn.9145

Vorgryn.9145

I would love a use of life force that doesn’t include shroud because Necromancer as it stands is waaay too transformation heavy. With two of our three elites and our shroud all completely replacing weapon skills and denying access to utilities, it’s extremely limiting in any gameplay mode.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I would love a use of life force that doesn’t include shroud because Necromancer as it stands is waaay too transformation heavy. With two of our three elites and our shroud all completely replacing weapon skills and denying access to utilities, it’s extremely limiting in any gameplay mode.

I’ll have to show off my Ritualist Specialization when its ready. But at the moment I’m still working on it. :P though I fear I’ll show it off and it’ll sour people’s opinions on Reaper which isn’t something I want to do.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I’ve always thought stuff like that would be a good idea. Turn life force into a resource for using skills rather than using it to soak up damage. Then the deva would have to give us better mobility and active defenses as utilities to make that play style work well hahaha.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I’ve always thought stuff like that would be a good idea. Turn life force into a resource for using skills rather than using it to soak up damage. Then the deva would have to give us better mobility and active defenses as utilities to make that play style work well hahaha.

You know even if we get life froce management through extra skills , we still would have death shroud, the traits base necromancer has demand it.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I think if they made something based around cold magic as a whole would be interesting, IE something of a run of the mill Lich. For this, I would give Lich sword or something, and not even touch shroud. However, I would stay away from chill for the most part, save for a burst flurry(flurry. ice. funny.) skill or something.

Liches, in popular lore, tend to be very powerful necromancers who have conquered death, or something like that. They could use life force to cast these cold magic spells, (like ice spear, something like that.) as well as using life force on their utility skills to offer some kind of damage mitigation.

I was thinking the other day, what if necromancers got access to elixirs? What kind of devastating potions would they brew up, or what kind of life prolonging brews would they concoct? Well liches would use these to absorb damage(QED, elixir s) over a short amount of time.

few examples for the elixir idea:

elixir of unholy might: consume an elixir that clears four conditions, turning each cleansed condition into might. 30s cooldown.

elixir of immortality: consume an elixir that turns you into an invulnerable shade(or other …thing.) for 3 seconds. 60 second cooldown.

elixir of cleansing: consume an elixir that heals you and cleanses two conditions, then causes your next attack to transfer a condition.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I think if they made something based around cold magic as a whole would be interesting, IE something of a run of the mill Lich. For this, I would give Lich sword or something, and not even touch shroud. However, I would stay away from chill for the most part, save for a burst flurry(flurry. ice. funny.) skill or something.

Liches, in popular lore, tend to be very powerful necromancers who have conquered death, or something like that. They could use life force to cast these cold magic spells, (like ice spear, something like that.) as well as using life force on their utility skills to offer some kind of damage mitigation.

I was thinking the other day, what if necromancers got access to elixirs? What kind of devastating potions would they brew up, or what kind of life prolonging brews would they concoct? Well liches would use these to absorb damage(QED, elixir s) over a short amount of time.

elixir of unholy might: consume an elixir that clears four conditions, turning each cleansed condition into might. 30s cooldown.

elixir of immortality: consume an elixir that turns you into an invulnerable shade(or other …thing.) for 3 seconds. 60 second cooldown.

elixir of cleansing: consume an elixir that heals you and cleanses two conditions, then causes your next attack to transfer a condition.

I’d Give the Lich a Shield personally. A shield that uses Minion skills specifically. As for Skill type? Well, I’d go with Glyphs over anything else. You’re not a witch, you’re a powerful mage who’s known for Artifacts not potions. Especially considering that its also common in games that Liches are immune to potions and incapable of using them.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I’d Give the Lich a Shield personally. A shield that uses Minion skills specifically. As for Skill type? Well, I’d go with Glyphs over anything else. You’re not a witch, you’re a powerful mage who’s known for Artifacts not potions. Especially considering that its also common in games that Liches are immune to potions and incapable of using them.

yeah i sort of went into rant mode with elixirs. ignore all of it in reference to lich.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

I’ll have to show off my Ritualist Specialization when its ready. But at the moment I’m still working on it. :P though I fear I’ll show it off and it’ll sour people’s opinions on Reaper which isn’t something I want to do.

I’ve been thinking about a Ritualist specialization that uses life force to cast abilities as well. Great minds, eh? Can’t wait to see what your take on it is.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I’ve been thinking about a Ritualist specialization that uses life force to cast abilities as well. Great minds, eh? Can’t wait to see what your take on it is.

I had a general Idea about using life force to cast utility skills while in your shroud and the Ritualist specialization I was working on builds on that. I still want them to use Spirits because They could be absolutely amazing.

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Gimme a condition based sword, a cc based hammer, and a bow. I’d be happy.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

we actually have a tone of CC weapons. Including Scepter, dagger MH/OH, warhorn, Staff, Axe, greatsword, death shroud, reaper’s shroud.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

we actually have a tone of CC weapons. Including Scepter, dagger MH/OH, warhorn, Staff, Axe, greatsword, death shroud, reaper’s shroud.

I think he meant hard cc like daze, stun, fear,… .

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I think he meant hard cc like daze, stun, fear,… .

Still reaper’s shroud, warhorn, staff and Death shroud. I’d like more support since the only thing we have is a bouncing skill from focus and staff 2 which both give regen. As well as the underwater DS 4, but no one counts that.

in Necromancer

zapv.8051

CC is love, cc is life. Anyway, yeah you aren’t wrong I just really love cc, specifically of the hard variety. As for support, I thought a shortbow+elixir combo would fill that role (Magehunter archtype).

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

CC is love, cc is life. Anyway, yeah you aren’t wrong I just really love cc, specifically of the hard variety. As for support, I thought a shortbow+elixir combo would fill that role (Magehunter archtype).

For support I was thinking Shield and Torch. But that’s me. Shortbow eh? Kinda of an odd choice for a necro. Though I don’t disagree.

in Necromancer

zapv.8051

For support I was thinking Shield and Torch. But that’s me. Shortbow eh? Kinda of an odd choice for a necro. Though I don’t disagree.

That’s why I like it so much, kind okittenward and different.

in Necromancer

Posted by: The Demonic Spirit.3157

The Demonic Spirit.3157

I’m looking forward to get two new elite specs . The first one may be called Dracula which is focused on siphoning , the other one could be called Reanimator/HordesLord that is focused on minions.

All 80es > MM necro is my best ,cleric
guard ,nades eng ,Trap thief \ranger ,signet\shout warrior, zerk mes\ele & shiro rev.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Since you alluded to minion specific shield skills earlier with glyphs for utilities, what specfic ideas did you have in mind? An offhand thats specific to minion builds would be really really cool, but I’d imagine a lot of people would get disapointed to due AI stigma in this game.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Necromancer

Posted by: act.6302

act.6302

Yea, I like the idea of a vampire/dracular elite spec. What do you reckon the weapon should be? I was hoping that we could equip no weapon and get access to bare hand skills? (so thiefs could steal weapons and/or warriors could disarm) Which I reckon will work well with vampire. There could some sort of neck bite/suck blood that also acts as a finisher if you land it and get them below health like the daredevils combo??

The shield idea sounds good. What do you envision the skills would be like? Like the chronomancer one? If you block then summon a minion, then you can choose to detonate it? Maybe a raise the dead skill?

Yea I like the idea of a short bow, where we could play more into weakness, blinds, maybe some slow. And hopefully a trait that allows your short bow attacks to AOE corrupt boons (support through weakening enemies and averting damage). Elixrs sound like they would work well with this.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kirigato.7183

Kirigato.7183

Why not black swordsman or dark swordsman for the new elite spec. Dual wielding swords ,gain access to quickness stuff and mobility

in Necromancer

Posted by: the noobiniser.7465

the noobiniser.7465

Introducing the voodoo chanter: use conditions like never before and combine different words and release spells to consume your lifeforce with powerful chants!
Would still use normal health pool whilst in chanting state tho, and would use “puppet minions” that chase down your foes whilst pulsing aoe burn, that only last a short time.
Also, torch with burning skills and minion summons and totems that only grant you or your team buffs or effects when they can put conditions on enemies. (give and take)

Might have to zoom in a bit to be able to read it…

Attachments:

in Necromancer

act.6302

Hmm, I like the idea that elite specs will bring new styles of play to GW2. So introducing dual swords with quickness just seems to be too similar to other classes as far as I can see. What would make us different?? (Personally i think that if you want quickness and mobility you should just play another class, that is not what a necro is). I like how perma evade is now a viable for thiefs. I would like to see necros get better boon corruption, minions and/or life siphoning (as these are what I consider our points of difference/strengths) or preferably new mechanics added to the game.

That chanting is really cool. Great new mechanic, it could be really interesting. Could be quite a high skill cap to actually get the right combos to be effective. I can see a lot of people just spamming them aswell… (I think it could also fit in with the revanant as an elite spec? As they use energy and are vaguely related to ritualists as well??)

Also, I dont see why the chanting state has to/should use life force as energy, why not just keep it the same as shroud, a second life bar?

(edited by act.6302)

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Since you alluded to minion specific shield skills earlier with glyphs for utilities, what specfic ideas did you have in mind? An offhand thats specific to minion builds would be really really cool, but I’d imagine a lot of people would get disapointed to due AI stigma in this game.

I had a few ideas rolling around in my head. One idea was a Bone aura that would form around you and soak up attacks against you and perhaps spawn jagged horrors when it ends based on how little it got hit? I don’t know. Maybe gives the bone aura to reduce damage to all minions. Another idea I had was creating a Flesh wall that knocked back enemies from it that also counted as a minion and could body block projectiles and prevent movement through it. Something along those lines. Mostly defensive and controlling in a way. Haven’t hammered out what I really like for it just yet as I’m still working on the Ritualist. Lich and witch are next through.

As for the Glyphs. I was expanding on the idea that necromancers having access to Utility while in shroud. Which could give glyphs a home on necromancers as they could flip function when you enter shroud. Much like how Elementalist’s glyphs flip over with different attunments. Although another idea I had was creating a new skill called artifact, which would be extremely thematic for a Lich, but I didn’t hammer that out just yet.

I’ve had some interesting Trait ideas as well. Such as a Grand Master that prevents life force from decaying while in shroud as long as your health is below 25%. It also had the bonus of filling your life force to full when you drop below 25% on a 90 second cool down. Though if that’s too powerful a 120 second cool down could work as well. Though the idea behind that was the whole idea that liches are extremely hard to kill.

I’ve had allot of fun ideas. Like with the witch using elixirs. You’d drink the elixirs while out of shroud and toss them when you’re in shroud. Sorta playing into that same idea that Engineer’s do with elixirs though the toss and drink would be on the same cool down. But you could have fun elixirs that confuse and fear foes. And even a trait called Bad Medicine. Though the elixirs on necro would be purely selfish and offensive unlike engineer elixirs which tend to fill supportive and selfish for the most part.

I’ll have to get back to you because I’m working on quite a few different Elite specializations at the moment. Umbramancer(thief), Lich(necro), Witch(necro), Ritualist(necro), Technomancer(engineer), Doppleganger(mesmer). Of course this is all just for fun, not like I’m going to show any of them to Anet for fear of some copyright laws with games I might be unaware of which could prevent them from actually using any of those ideas. I know there’s something with magic the gathering where game devs for MTG can’t accept card concept design submissions, though I don’t know if the same sort of thing applied to an MMO. Though it worries me enough that I haven’t posted very many details about my ideas.

in Necromancer

Posted by: the noobiniser.7465

the noobiniser.7465

Hmm, I like the idea that elite specs will bring new styles of play to GW2. So introducing dual swords with quickness just seems to be too similar to other classes as far as I can see. What would make us different?? (Personally i think that if you want quickness and mobility you should just play another class, that is not what a necro is). I like how perma evade is now a viable for thiefs. I would like to see necros get better boon corruption, minions and/or life siphoning (as these are what I consider our points of difference/strengths) or preferably new mechanics added to the game.

That chanting is really cool. Great new mechanic, it could be really interesting. Could be quite a high skill cap to actually get the right combos to be effective. I can see a lot of people just spamming them aswell… (I think it could also fit in with the revanant as an elite spec? As they use energy and are vaguely related to ritualists as well??)

Also, I dont see why the chanting state has to/should use life force as energy, why not just keep it the same as shroud, a second life bar?

You could do that really, but I do think if you’re going to have 5 words and 5 ways of releasing a chant, necro would be the class to get it, since they are the only class that is really based on the 2 states (normal/ds) kind of gameplay that this would require. It wouldn’t work out with replacing weapon skills and such. changing your whole bar of skills would be a must or it has to be dumbed down to something like 4 words/1 release skill

in Necromancer

act.6302

What about some sort of ghost/phantom/shadow/wraith? I am thinking of things along the line of spectral walk. Where the ghostly shroud is immune to physical attacks or something? Maybe this could work with a sword? ( Haha… this is probably close to what Kirigato meant when I called him out on it). Maybe necros could get some evades, invis and mobility, but I don’t know if I am sold on that (generally I would prefer new mechanics but I wouldn’t complain if we got pretty much any of these elite spec ideas).

The chanter could be a legend for revenant? Thus you have all 10 skills and energy management.

(edited by act.6302)