Give Us Greatswords!

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Think about it, we’re missing a 2hander and could definately use another weapon to round us out. The game has nothing against clothies going melee, or Mesmers wielding giant greatswords. Necro’s are fairly beefy as clothies go and could easily be seen going toe-to-toe with a greatsword. And finally, Necro’s are lacking a Legendary that really fits, atleast this way we could have access to Twilight.

It could be a sort of Dread/Shadow Knight or Herald of Xotli sort of theme with attacks sort of like the inverse of a Greatsword Guardian, aoe Lifetaps, Control/Debuffs and some basic raw direct dmg.

Just picture your Necro running around with the Greatsword Legendary and cleaving and lifetapping stuff to death.

PICTURE IT!

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sherpa.7901

Sherpa.7901

dual wield swords <3

(edited by Sherpa.7901)

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Enough GS drool, it has too much love as it is.

Could just as well replace staff #1 with a scythe swing.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

digiowl.9620

dual wield swords <3

Even just replacing main hand dagger with sword and granting a cleave would be nice. What is really lacking is any kind of up close auto attack aoe. Best we have are well, but they are not really applicable for extended fights.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Sherpa.7901

dual wield swords <3

Even just replacing main hand dagger with sword and granting a cleave would be nice.

cleave? is that thing eatable…. last time i checked we have DS witch is uber OP and we dont need anything else >_>

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

digiowl.9620

Honestly, at this time it seems they expect us to always run Soul reaping 30.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hufflepuffer.4201

Hufflepuffer.4201

I’d be satisfied with a 2h axe

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Elmentcius Koronel.6234

Elmentcius Koronel.6234

Staff 1 should be a scythe horizontal swing with cleave.

Or give us a voodoo doll. Who doesn’t like voodoo dolls?

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ahmon.1730

Ahmon.1730

Think about it, we’re missing a 2hander and could definately use another weapon to round us out.

Staff is a 2-hander. There’s no need for fattening up our melee range, either. Necromancers have close range, mid-range and medium range abilities. If anything, there needs to be a 1200 range option to “round out” the class.

Necro is so different to HoX, and so are your ideas, so I have no idea where you’re going with that comparison.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Archmagel.1350

Archmagel.1350

Imho, I don’t think any of the scholars should be toting around great-swords, yeah, I am talking about you too, mesmer. Scholars just don’t fit the bill with great-swords. It looks awkward enough with a mesmer having one.

Fort Aspenwood~ Archmage Logan(80 Necro)
(“Big Hat”)Praise the Sun!

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Knote.2904

Well someone’s being a party pooper.

My comparison to HoX was merely “robed clothy with giant greatsword”, in terms of style it’s fantastic.

Greatsword could very well be a ranged weapon as well just like the Mesmer’s, either way we could definately use another 2hander.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Ahmon.1730

Imho, I don’t think any of the scholars should be toting around great-swords, yeah, I am talking about you too, mesmer. Scholars just don’t fit the bill with great-swords. It looks awkward enough with a mesmer having one.

Ever play a Japanese RPG? Those heroes are almost universally cloth-armored with ridiculously large two-handed weapons.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Archmagel.1350

Archmagel.1350

Ever play a Japanese RPG? Those heroes are almost universally cloth-armored with ridiculously large two-handed weapons.

Yes. >_< The game “Loong” comes to mind (…ok, first Cloud did, but I thought of MMO’s then). I, myself, have this crazy obsession with large swords, but I am not sure how it would work with our class. If it does happen, and it works I know what will be replacing my s/d! Lol.

Fort Aspenwood~ Archmage Logan(80 Necro)
(“Big Hat”)Praise the Sun!

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Staff is a two handed weapon.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

2nd sword or axe please. I might return to the game. Also…lower some of the casting times. Necro has more long casting times on their abilitys than any other profession for no real advantage. cast times = interrupted more, miss entirely cause they have time to roll or run behind something.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Knote.2904

2nd sword or axe please. I might return to the game. Also…lower some of the casting times. Necro has more long casting times on their abilitys than any other profession for no real advantage. cast times = interrupted more, miss entirely cause they have time to roll or run behind something.

Yeah that’s pretty annoying. For staff for example it’d be nice if each mark was 1/4 cast time like Chillblains when it’s traited. It can be a pain trying to use the fear or putrid quickly enough.

Frankly, I just want another weapon, we’re lacking compared to other classes (besides Ele/Eng obviously), and I was feeling bummed about our lack of suitable Legendaries.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Sherpa.7901

the only reason why i proposed a dual-wield sword stye is couse of char story: basicly if you chose to get ‘’Sour Doomsday’’ in your warband you will notice he has 2 swords that seem to glow green (hope im not mistaken), it looked epic then and it would look epic later. As far as going that wizards dont need 2h sword i agree, if you want a 2h sword kitten it just give us a maul and be done with it we are a broken class anyway whats a few more weapons gonna do -_-

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Halo.8976

Halo.8976

Greatswords are too mainstream.
Such hipster as Necro wouldn’t want it anyway. Just gives a permanent rock with one skill for 20 damage. This won’t ruin the balance and will be nicely fit in our current arsenal.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

I agree that GS don’t really fit the necro. Besides, with our luck, the tooltip for a necro version of a Whirlwind GS skill would be:

“Whirl in a random direction, causing daze and blind to self for 3s due to dizziness, while enemy is crippled for 2s due to laughing hysterically at you.”

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aexrael.5918

Aexrael.5918

Greatswords models in this game leave alot to be desired, looks like something straight out of Japanese animation films.

Sword and Shield could be more interesting. Especially given how limited shields seems to be. Shield abilities could have Life Force/Life Drain synergy, with the sword having cleave and leap abilities.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: DownPour.5903

DownPour.5903

I think weapons we have at the moment are fine.

Anythign more would be confusing or something else would have to be removed.

Desolation

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

I’d like to see a torch added. Some spectral fire abilities would be sweet.

I certainly get what people are getting at though, we’re a bit constricted on weapon choice. And some of the weapons aren’t great (i’m looking at you focus).

Aurora Glade [EU]

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

sorry guys, I think rather than add other weapons, etc., I would like to see trait lines adjusted, bugs fixed, and existing skill fixed before they add other factors that could be bugged.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Sherpa.7901

,,I would like to see trait lines adjusted, bugs fixed, and existing skill fixed’’ totaly agreed, but i still think that in sword vs axe department i dont see why they put a axe on a class such as necro… it just dosent make sense to me why would a ’’scholar’’ type class use anything less than a cuting weapon rather than a hacking one ( tho the idea is fine but the weapon i kitten to say the least) >_>

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arolas.5209

Arolas.5209

/signed
I think Greatswords would fit very nice to the necromancer. To be honest, whenever I think of a beeing that deals with death I usually think of vampires, undead knights etc. and they usually have some pretty beasty big weapons. We currently only have one weapon that’s made for melee (dagger), and we’re missing in the two handed weapon section. Mesmers got it, elementalist kinda got it (elite skill), but that doesn’t count as a permanent weapon of course ^^, so I don’t see a reason to why we shouldn’t get something big and nasty that we can reap death with. At the moment I feel that I want something more with my necro (and it’s not bleeds!), a Greatsword that could incorporate some big hitters on a long cooldown and some boons (which we lack as well if you look away from the short duration boons from DS) would complete the class perfectly. And for goodness sake, make the greatsword have a gloomy, scary effect, like a green putrid smoke or something ^^
And to those saying scholars shouldn’t wear Greatswords, Trahearne comes to mind (and he is a necromancer)…

But first, fix the bugs of course.

Arolas, lvl 80 Necromancer
Far Shiverpeaks

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fynd.4890

Fynd.4890

Think about it, we’re missing a 2hander and could definately use another weapon to round us out.

If anything, there needs to be a 1200 range option to “round out” the class.

Staff is 1200. Necromancers have a mainhand weapon for every range window.

• 130 -> Dagger 1 chain
  • 600 -> Dagger 2 & 3 | Axe | Warhorn
  • 900 -> Scepter | Focus | Offhand Dagger
  • 1200 -> Staff | Traited Focus

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

What id add: Torch, 1 handed Swords for dual wield

Also Trahearne is also at least a guardian, ele, mesmer and warrior by abilites he uses.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverrey.2471

Silverrey.2471

I’d like it if there was a weapon that focused around summoning lots of jagged horrors.

This is from another thread but thinking about it, making a great sword or two handed ax that had skills along the lines of summoning temp pets (things like a spirit that does a close range debuff, jagged horrors, or the like) wouldn’t be to bad. Fluff wise fit it in as basically being remnants of previous “executions” being used to serve the necromancer. Make the 5 attack a melee slash that scales up the damage the less life the target has and it brings the theme in even more. We are suppose to be masters of death that use the life and deaths of our enemies against them. Might as well show it more directly then just gaining life force from them…

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Arolas.5209

Where did I say that Trahearne is a necromancer from the skilles he used?
From the GW2wiki: “Trahearne is a firstborn sylvari Necromancer…” dumdumdum.

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Arolas.5209)

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Squeesidhe.4761

Squeesidhe.4761

I would love to have a great sword.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Swadow.6213

Swadow.6213

Trahearne might have been a Necromancer, but he switched classes when he got that sword and became a Mesmer/Guardian. I guess someone forgot to told him that there are no secondary classes in GW2.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

Let us have a nice spinning skill too. Or something spammable like heartseeker. And and… and the list goes on…

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

They don’t even fix the bugs…. new weapon?? Hahahaha nice ilussion

~ The light of a new day

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Arolas.5209

Trahearne might have been a Necromancer, but he switched classes when he got that sword and became a Mesmer/Guardian. I guess someone forgot to told him that there are no secondary classes in GW2.

Where did you find this information? If there is source saying he actually became a sudden FOTMer (the kitten!) can you provide me the link? No offence here of course, I just like to deal with facts instead of fiction
Here is the link to wiki site, note that he is not described as anything else than a necromancer and a Marshall (which is a title).
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trahearne

Edit: pardon my spelling mistakes, I’m on my iPhone at the moment :P)

Far Shiverpeaks

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Swadow.6213

Swadow.6213

@Arolas Look at his skills, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Caladbolg.
Twilight Crash = Illusionary Wave Mesmer
Maelstorm Strike = Whirling Wrath Guardian
Electrolyze = Chain Lightning Elementalist
Skyfall = Backbreaker Warrior

Necromancers have no access to anything like those so… not only is he a Guardian/Mesmer but a Guardian/Mesmer/Warrior/Elementalist

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jaydee.8143

Jaydee.8143

2H sword on a necro is just Trahearn. And I dont like the idea. Boo.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jaydee.8143

Jaydee.8143

I’d like it if there was a weapon that focused around summoning lots of jagged horrors.

This is from another thread but thinking about it, making a great sword or two handed ax that had skills along the lines of summoning temp pets (things like a spirit that does a close range debuff, jagged horrors, or the like) wouldn’t be to bad. Fluff wise fit it in as basically being remnants of previous “executions” being used to serve the necromancer. Make the 5 attack a melee slash that scales up the damage the less life the target has and it brings the theme in even more. We are suppose to be masters of death that use the life and deaths of our enemies against them. Might as well show it more directly then just gaining life force from them…

They do have that, its called a mesmer

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Arolas.5209

@Arolas Look at his skills, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Caladbolg.
Twilight Crash = Illusionary Wave Mesmer
Maelstorm Strike = Whirling Wrath Guardian
Electrolyze = Chain Lightning Elementalist
Skyfall = Backbreaker Warrior

Necromancers have no access to anything like those so… not only is he a Guardian/Mesmer but a Guardian/Mesmer/Warrior/Elementalist

Hehe I see where your’e going, but I still disagree as these are skills related to the weapon, not him being a warrior, elementalist or guardian. If you get what I mean… Our skills are related to the weapon not the class, so this, in my opinion, doesn’t say that he is anything else than a necromancer.

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Moderator)

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverrey.2471

Silverrey.2471

They do have that, its called a mesmer

lol I know but it seems like it would be fitting for us to have something similar. Our jagged horrors already last about as long as an illusion, might as well put them where they will do some good.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khairos.3890

Khairos.3890

/signed, by a level 80 necromancer player

Please make this happen Anet.

Helia – Stormbluff Isle – [MORD]

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Malum.9874

Malum.9874

I really dislike the fact we have an axe as a weapon. A caster with a cleaving type weapon is just wrong.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Knote.2904

Yeah Axe I don’t really understand too much, not really a weapon you would channel through.

If anything the dagger should’ve been the 600 ranged weapon.

Anyway on Trahearne, saying he’s no longer a necromancer is like saying a Necro using Bifrost is no longer a necro but instead a Rainbow Warrior. Trahearne only had those skills because of his weapon.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sean.2604

Sean.2604

all i wanted when necromancer was announced for gw2 was a meleemancer that poisons bleeds and ruins everything. i havnt got that so im an advocate for this. or atleast let us use a one handed sword. im sick of my scepter, theyre all ugly and im sick of waving it around :P

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

give us greatswords or a scholar only weapon like a book that the elite guardian has. It can cast poison storms and stuff. That would be awesome.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Ahmon.1730

If anything, there needs to be a 1200 range option to “round out” the class.

Staff is 1200. Necromancers have a mainhand weapon for every range window.

• 130 -> Dagger 1 chain
  • 600 -> Dagger 2 & 3 | Axe | Warhorn
  • 900 -> Scepter | Focus | Offhand Dagger
  • 1200 -> Staff | Traited Focus

Staff is only long range in theory. In practice, Necrotic Grasp is miss or miss at 1200 range and marks are much easier to place quickly and accurately at low or medium range.

(edited by Ahmon.1730)

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

No thanks. With how bugged this class is I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up hurting ourselves with it.

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

Greatswords? No thanks. Not at all in theme to the Necromancer, and just because the Mesmer gets one is no reason to give it to the Necro because then you’d have to crowbar into the Elementalist as well.

The Axe on the other hand, the axe is a fit and I would love to see it expanded at some point into an off hand as well however I can wait until they fix bugs and traits before they get on to adding weapons to the game.

Now onto why the Axe is so much more thematic than the Greatsword. It’s my opinion that the Necro was implemented with the “Best Defense is a good Offense” mentality as seen by being a light armored mini-tank in game. All of our, at least in my opinion, best defensive options are actually rather offensive. We don’t remove debuffs, we send them back to the enemy and spread them or we just turn them into Buffs. We don’t block and deflect attacks, we blind and make opponents miss. The Axe similarly is a weapon with a long history of powered offensive in favour of defense. A wooden half with a crude blade for hewing logs turns into an instrument of dismemberment, well suited for hacking through bones and tearing through sinew. With no cross guard, your fingers are left open in favour of wide swings that effectively use the power of shoulders and back muscles to cleave through that sweet tender flesh in macabre displays.

Historically the Greatsword was never actually a weapon with a sharp blade. It was implemented most widely in a time when the most devastating troops wore thick plate mail with little in terms of means of pushing past all the armor. Instead they were rather similar to large metal clubs, used to break bones of light armored troops or to ring the metal helms of knights in hopes of knocking them unconscious. Oh yes, you could swing your way through some of the weaker points in armor, but the weight of greatswords rarely allowed for finesse in combat considering those using them were also being weighed down by all their armor.

Similarly, I do enjoy the feel of them on Mesmers. The Mesmer has a closer link to nobility and the duelist, those cunning rapier wielding swordsmen who duck in and out of combat inflicting stabs and cuts and outmaneuvering their opponent. The Greatsword is really just a staff for the Mesmer, however still fits into that theme of magic wielding swordsman in my opinion as they use it to channel their illusions.

What I would like to see as far as expansions to the Necromancers arsonal would definitely be the inclusion of an axe off hand or even a double handed axe or scythe. When I picture a double handed axe I just imagine those black hooded executioners of old dealing out death (Even if they missed a few times).

BUT, as I mentioned earlier they have enough work cut out for them with bugs and trait lines and those should be the first priority before any work is done to expand weapons on any of the professions. Just my 2 cents.

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Archinos.8754

Archinos.8754

Staff 1 should be a scythe horizontal swing with cleave.

Or give us a voodoo doll. Who doesn’t like voodoo dolls?

no no no no no… A CHICKEN HEAD!!!!!

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

no no no no no… A CHICKEN HEAD!!!!!

All of my yes. I would LOVE to have a Chicken Head focus. Especially if it ’BWOK’ed on skills.

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

Give Us Greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kefke.2435

Kefke.2435

Greatsword might be a nice addition, but hammer would actually fit better. Anyone remembers Necromancer Munne in gw1 pre-searing catacombs ? I really liked the idea of a caster profession wielding heavy melee type weapons. And the necro absolutely fits it with being the ‘brutal’ caster – same reason why axe fits the necro theme perfectly.

And as it stands were have less weapons to chose from than other professions.
Warrior is the biggest offender, getting 3 mainhand, 5 offhand and 4 twohanded wepons.
But other classes have more than we too. Guardian gets 3 mh, 3 oh and 3 twohanded weapons.
Ele and engi have less ‘real’ weapons because they have attunement, kits and summond weapons so that’s fine.
Necro only has: 3 mh, 3 oh and 1 twohanded weapon. sure, we have DS but that only gives 4 skills which is less than a twohanded weapon. Our skillcount is only equal to other classes because of some useless chains they put in there.
Necro could use a new 2handed weapon, my vote is on hammer or on greatsword.