Is our AoE about to ne nerfed?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

I just watched the “interview” with the ANet’s PvP man (sorry forgot his name…am getting older) and he was discussing with some high level players issues around PvP and some PVE.

He clearly stated that they (devs) were concerned at the current levels/impacts of AoE which would indicate incoming nerfs to AoE abilities sooner rather than later.

Given AoE forms the basis of most of our very few viable builds, and the fact that they have already nerfed Epidemic, I am concerned that they will further gut one of our pitifully few potent tools in the already limited builds we can make.

If our AoE is nerfed then it would seem reasonable that there would have to be balancing, corresponding buffs to make up for it. I can’t imagine the issues around build viability that this could trigger……..I hope they don’t tinker with it too much.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zeke Minus.5720

Zeke Minus.5720

I could see them tweaking numbers for PvP only, as this was the discussion topic. I doubt Epidemic will be touched. I also doubt a lot of Necro stuff will be touched. Maybe Marks?

It is a valid point, however, that most people just AoE the person being revived as well as the reviver very easily, but there can be counters. I wouldn’t take what Mr. Sharp said as, “We’re going to nerf AoEs,” just more along the lines of, “We’re going to look at how to better balance the situation of AoEs and reviving allies.”

in Necromancer

Oldbugga.7029

I watched it a couple of times on that bit and I just get the feeling it is a bit more expansive than just the “PvP rez bit”…..could be entirely wrong but the antennae are twitching.

In looking to address the issue quickly….nerfing AoE’s is the quick and dirty, easy way. And that is my concern…that they might just take that path as the least line of resistance and leave us without corresponding balance/build buffs and options.

(edited by Oldbugga.7029)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zeke Minus.5720

Zeke Minus.5720

From watching the entire video, and hearing Mr. Sharp repeatedly say, “We have a process and we only like to tweak over time, not nerf quickly,” I don’t see how you’re getting that.

Why would you think them to do something like that when nothing in the video insinuated that wanted to be quick and sloppy about it?

in Necromancer

Oldbugga.7029

Time will tell….and I did say I could well be wrong…I really hope I am. If you look around these forums you can see where the devs have departed from stated paths/goals on other issues (I don’t need to call them out), and they may well have been justified too. My concern is the attractiveness of a quick fix without the work needed to balance it…that is all.

Edit: As an ex-systems auditor and auditor I probably have a pretty skeptical view (developed over quite a few years) of dev aspirational proclamations vs delivered outcomes in the “heat-of-battle” environments.

in Necromancer

Posted by: BronxBrew.8743

BronxBrew.8743

Just like how they fixed the Rangers animation only to get a 8% nerf to our only build. I’ve since then rolled a Necro to 80. I’m sure the hammer is going to fall on us. We have to many options.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

Anyone have a link to this interview?

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fireline.6093

Fireline.6093

Necro aoe isn’t high enough to be of concern. Must be speaking of other classes.

Lvl 80 Norn Reaper

(edited by Fireline.6093)

in Necromancer

Oldbugga.7029

It is a long interview but worth the time I reckon. AoE stuff is around 12.35min into interview.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Class needs a bit of work. Sitting at 80 and waiting

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

and the fact that they have already nerfed Epidemic

Epidemic was never nurfed, it was fixed. It was bugged to have no cast range with 600 radius rather then the 1200 range and 600 radius it was meant to be which meant you could land Epidemic from 1201+ range away.

As for the AoE’s it seems to be aimed at every class, not Necromancers so its unfair to say ‘Our’ AoE will be nurfed with its happening to every class.

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

AOE is the only thing this game has going for it.

If certain classes weren’t better at AOE we’d all roll thieves.

…as it is, we should still probably all roll thieves.

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

Necro aoe isn’t high enough to be of concern. Must be speaking of other classes.

scepter, dag5, staff2, EB proc on DS, BiP, and epi…

you’re kidding, right?