Necromancer Greatsword. Want?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

How about No greatsword. Greatswords are way over used, and harm diversity in the game. No on the Hammer as well. This is an extremely brutish weapon and I feel dirty just thinking about a necromancer using a hammer.

How about Main hand Mace. This could be a throwback to the old DnD days of a dark Cleric. Many clerics in DnD, including those practicing in necromancy, favored the mace as there melee weapon of choice. The mace is also a very underused weapon and the professions that can use it tend to favor the greatsword or literally any other weapon over it.

Second option? Torch. Why not, I caved. But it shouldn’t have anything longer then a 1 second burn with a 30 second cool down. Burning shouldn’t be easy for the necromancer to use. You need to work for it. I also like the torch idea because I really just want arena net to come out with a Lantern for me to carry.

For Future weapons that might end up in the game. Lets go with Whip, Scythe and Tome.

Scythe: A large 2 handed cleaving weapon with mixed physical and condition damage. Uses Pulling and crippling along with bleeds and torment in order to damage and ensnare your foes.

Whip: A Supportive weapon that steals health and regenorates allies while striking multiple foes.

Tome: A Offhand weapon that provides damage support to allies. Granting auras and might.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Daikaze.6708

Daikaze.6708

While I would prefer Pistol or off-hand Torch, I wouldn’t object to a Greatsword (they have all the cool skins). I think that the specialty of the weapon should be chilling effects.

Torch could offer up some nice spectral flames… and Pistol could make for a nice minion master weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

While I would prefer Pistol or off-hand Torch, I wouldn’t object to a Greatsword (they have all the cool skins). I think that the specialty of the weapon should be chilling effects.

Torch could offer up some nice spectral flames… and Pistol could make for a nice minion master weapon.

Yeah chilling is a must in a future 2h melee weapon

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

it seems like you guys want to make the Necromancer into this guy:

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

fist weapons. like claws.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Yes that would be cool (but please may i remind, claw weapons would be daggers and most ornaments/channels are as a matter of fact focus/focusi?, however you spell the plural of it and whips in game are technically permanent environmental weapon thus more likely as something on a engie/thief/warrior.
Also scythes art obsolete if we will get swords n axes of both types, also we got enough scythe skins.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

fist weapons. like claws.

That would be awesome!

I would like it to be a fast attack, but small damage weapon. Don’t think there is one in game yet.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

How about No greatsword. Greatswords are way over used, and harm diversity in the game. No on the Hammer as well. This is an extremely brutish weapon and I feel dirty just thinking about a necromancer using a hammer.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Necromancer_Munne

Check her trivia. ;-)

Also as far as casters go necromancers ARE extremely brutish, everything about the class is built around inflicting pain in as unsubtle and unpleasant a way as possible.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Yes please and thank you :P

This is why I run a dagger build. A-net is working on giving all weapons to all classes. I suspect daggers are only the beginning for melee oriented necros.

and with all weapins for all classes, it solves the diversity problem that people try to use against greatswords.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Check her trivia. ;-)

Also as far as casters go necromancers ARE extremely brutish, everything about the class is built around inflicting pain in as unsubtle and unpleasant a way as possible.

I don’t associate pain with being a bruit. Perhaps you do, but that would make every profession brutish in your eyes. I see a bruit as someone who likes to get there hands dirty. Real hands on type of person who wants to feel someone’s skull crushed under their boot, the really relish the impact of the weapon.

As a necromancer.. I’m not fond of this direct approach. Them screaming as they crawl to me to ease there pain as I lift my skirt away from them and tell them “Get away from me, You will get blood all over my new shoes.” Sadist, Yes, necromancers are Sadistic and sometimes Masochistic. Bruits? No.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

Check her trivia. ;-)

I don’t associate pain with being a bruit. Perhaps you do, but that would make every profession brutish in your eyes. I see a bruit as someone who likes to get there hands dirty. Real hands on type of person who wants to feel someone’s skull crushed under their boot, the really relish the impact of the weapon.

As a necromancer.. I’m not fond of this direct approach. Them screaming as they crawl to me to ease there pain as I lift my skirt away from them and tell them “Get away from me, You will get blood all over my new shoes.” Sadist, Yes, necromancers are Sadistic and sometimes Masochistic. Bruits? No.

You mixed up necromancer with mesmer, let me give you examples of what necro skills do and did: Eat part of the enemy and disintegrate them into blood and/or life force in 9 different ways (or 14 depending on what you count), summon a demonic shadow from the stygian pits to stalk the enemy and destroy nerves, pull out both peoples blood and mix it around, crush the skull with their targets heads skin/muscles, cause bone cancer, overflow the lungs, summon stygian demons from the hellpits to slowly eat the enemy sending the energy to you (in 3 different ways), remove/push away all heat/energy from 7 different locations including the ground under the the enemy causing their skin to frostbite stick to it essentially either ripping off their own skin if they want to move or being slowly frozen in place.
Yeah most of that is with the extension of our spectral grasps, so you cannot say that we are the type in leather outfits that whip people and drop little pieces of candle wax on their back or other parts (even if some of us did wear such leather outfits with more fancy designs).

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Check her trivia. ;-)

You mixed up necromancer with mesmer, let me give you examples of what necro skills do and did: Eat part of the enemy and disintegrate them into blood and/or life force in 9 different ways (or 14 depending on what you count), summon a demonic shadow from the stygian pits to stalk the enemy and destroy nerves, pull out both peoples blood and mix it around, crush the skull with their targets heads skin/muscles, cause bone cancer, overflow the lungs, summon stygian demons from the hellpits to slowly eat the enemy sending the energy to you (in 3 different ways), remove/push away all heat/energy from 7 different locations including the ground under the the enemy causing their skin to frostbite stick to it essentially either ripping off their own skin if they want to move or being slowly frozen in place.
Yeah most of that is with the extension of our spectral grasps, so you cannot say that we are the type in leather outfits that whip people and drop little pieces of candle wax on their back or other parts (even if some of us did wear such leather outfits with more fancy designs).

I didn’t mix them up at all. My necromancer Likes to watch them rot. Actually touching them? No. And I don’t know of any necromancer that likes to hear bones break. Thats just not them. Listening to people choke to death, screaming and watching them rot is more their style. And necromancer’s Don’t even need to touch them to cause them bodily harm. Thats the beauty of it.

But this was never about IF a necromancer would use a Hammer or not. Its how I feel about it. And I don’t like it. Nothing you say can make me LIKE the idea of using a hammer. Just feels to dirty. If I’m going to be getting messy, I’m going to be in a outfit that is made for that in the morgue with some saws, scalpels needles and so on. Because if I’m getting dirty I’m going to make an undead construct. I’m not going to get my new lovely battle outfit dirty. A Girl has to have her priorities.

You have any idea how hard it is to find usable corpses on the battle field after some bruit with a hammer gone to town on everything? Broken bones means I have to use more corpses for a single minion which means more energy spent and more time consumed. Then if I’m collecting parts for a construct I have to find bones that aren’t broken.. Which becomes even harder after using a hammer. Its just messy, and impractical for the aspiring necromancer on the go.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rulakh.3614

Rulakh.3614

Check her trivia. ;-)

I didn’t mix them up at all. My necromancer Likes to watch them rot. Actually touching them? No. And I don’t know of any necromancer that likes to hear bones break. IN MY OPINION, thats just not them. Listening to people choke to death, screaming and watching them rot is more MY style. And necromancer’s don’t even need to touch them to cause them bodily harm, UNLESS THEY’D PREFER TO. Thats the beauty of it.

But this was about IF a necromancer would use a Hammer or not. I don’t like it. Nothing you say can make me LIKE the idea of using a hammer. Just feels to dirty. If I’m going to be getting messy, I’m going to be in a outfit that is made for that in the morgue with some saws, scalpels needles and so on. Because if I’m getting dirty I’m going to make an undead construct. I’m not going to get my new lovely battle outfit dirty. A Girl has to have her priorities.

You have any idea how hard it is to find usable corpses on the battle field after some bruit with a hammer gone to town on everything? Broken bones means I have to use more corpses for a single minion which means more energy spent and more time consumed. Then if I’m collecting parts for a construct I have to find bones that aren’t broken.. Which becomes even harder after using a hammer. Its just messy, and impractical for the aspiring necromancer on the go.

TL:DR version: They could use melee weapons. They could get down and dirty. But because I dont like it, I wont allow other people to enjoy the concept.

Fixed.

I love the idea of getting into the middle of things, and so does my necromancer.
Take the pain, spread it, feed on it! Blood EVERYWHERE! Babtising the dirt with blood and death!

With every laceration she will grow stronger.
I am death, I am unstoppable.
I’m the Juggernaught, kitten.

I want melee cleave, I want better lifesyphon.
Deathknights, blackguards, and wights were around WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before
WoW.

(edited by Rulakh.3614)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Forsaker.9213

Forsaker.9213

Necro have one BIG problem with mele wepons whats make dps necros not viable in competetive way , he lacks defensive skills like blocks , invurnabylity , evades etc. And actualy Necro is onely one who dont have them

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

WoW.

a) Deathknights are actually a warcraft thing in the current format, Blackguards have nothing to do with raising undead, controlling blood, etc; they were actually against most of necro stuff even if most shared the same realms of evil in the original few formats since they are just always chaotic evil versions of pallys with even more specific rules and ability to reverse their turn undead into a flesh puppet (same as clerics no matter the school specification and even some specifications of sorcerer and druid).
b) The guys who you mean in d&d terms are Soul Eaters (Life force necro),
Lifedrinker (2 variants, thus liches and vampires/think aatrox or vlad), Warriors of Darkness (metaish alchemy fighters that wow DKs both parody and take a lot of reference from), Master of Shrouds (aka kitten necromancers with the drowish/vampire sun weakness, but doesnt need to be chaotic nor evil), Blood Mages (aka whiny emo dudes that are too stupid to learn arcane or emo dudes to weak physically to cast arcane), Entropomancer (guys going to the logical extreme of using negative energy sources shooting at you with anti matter/kinda what our life blast does), Deaths Chosen (aka the what if our minions could talk), Pale masters (how we summon marks/wells/stuff not related to hurting ourselves or kitten decaying) and the good old True Necromancers (so everything above with all their glory and weaknesses).
Dont make me start typing out the draconian or element/divine based sub classes of necromancy or this post will be 3 pages.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

Necro have one BIG problem with mele wepons whats make dps necros not viable in competetive way , he lacks defensive skills like blocks , invurnabylity , evades etc. And actualy Necro is onely one who dont have them

Those can all come with the weapon that allows for mellee combat.

a) Deathknights are actually a warcraft thing in the current format

ehhhh…..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_knight_

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Fixed.

I love the idea of getting into the middle of things, and so does my necromancer.
Take the pain, spread it, feed on it! Blood EVERYWHERE! Babtising the dirt with blood and death!

With every laceration she will grow stronger.
I am death, I am unstoppable.
I’m the Juggernaught, kitten.

WoW.

You didn’t Fix anything, You corrupted my post and put words in my mouth. You are just being an kitten now, and I don’t appreciate your method of trying to prove your point. Its childish. So if thats how you want to disguise this, then don’t bother. I’m done talking with you.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

ehhhh…..

DK was/is a rank of skeletal minion (Deaths Chosen as linked above), the 3 notable characters on the DK wiki page were Warlock, Blackguard and Necromancer (clerics technically) by class. Or is being a Skeletal warrior suddenly a class and not just undead who happens to be a fighter. The big armored dude in robes who has life based non-divine abilties to raise and control the dead without being hard tied to arcane manipulation or demon pacts that lack a soul are very much a “creation”/common interpretation of the Warcraft universe, its kinda like how star wars impacted the people on a view of what is a “empire” and what “troopers” are despite both not only being older than you think real world things but also 2 main focuses of 2 other very influential SF movies, just named differently/slight edits in design and/or what they fought.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

ehhhh…..

DK was/is a rank of skeletal minion (Deaths Chosen as linked above), the 3 notable characters on the DK wiki page were Warlock, Blackguard and Necromancer (clerics technically) by class. Or is being a Skeletal warrior suddenly a class and not just undead who happens to be a fighter. The big armored dude in robes who has life based non-divine abilties to raise and control the dead without being hard tied to arcane manipulation or demon pacts that lack a soul are very much a “creation”/common interpretation of the Warcraft universe, its kinda like how star wars impacted the people on a view of what is a “empire” and what “troopers” are despite both not only being older than you think real world things but also 2 main focuses of 2 other very influential SF movies, just named differently/slight edits in design and/or what they fought.

They weren’t just skeletal warriors at first

“Stross designed the death knight as an armor-wearing lich with a sword”
https://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dreo/20071003a

They didn’t lose their spells until third edition. and in 4th edition, they geared it deliberately towards being an undead ‘knight" with no spells but a special sword and shield. Then they were redesigned to having undead leadership powers and phylactery use. Then they went back to being a mellee skeleton. But with all the renditions the DK went through, the current WoW DK is pretty close to the original D&D DK. An “armor-wearing lich with a sword”. and this all started in the early 80’s. While WoW’s first DK’s were orc souls in dead paladin bodies all made possible through demon empowerment of an orc bonded to demon-made armor. Current WoW DK’s are heavily inspired by the various interations of D&D DK’s.

So while they are a common interpretation often credited to WoW, it is not a creation of WoW. It is a creation of D&D.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

Hmmm…being able to use the spear as a land weapon would be awesome. In fact I would recommend that every class that can use a spear underwater, also be able to use it above water.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

Got both Greyhawk and Dragonlance, but there aint no DK as class, but ok if that was in the mind when creating the name, guess i learned something. Still DKs in official D&D started off and still are just a “stufe 23 untoter mit rustung” and WoW was kinda the mass spam of it, but they actually made it something you could be as a class, as said in the comparison above Starship Troopers was the first armored white guy mass armada, but Star Wars did make it a culture trope that defined space troopers are guys in identical power suits that aint real armor, come en mass and cant aim even if their life depends on it.
And yeah now that i actually think about it, the first 2 DKs (non-scourge) in WoW were direct rip offs from Miltiades (Gorefiend) and Kargoth (Mograine).

Either way would be awesome if we could use weapons like them.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sylpheed.5034

Sylpheed.5034

GS has the best looks but doesn’t really look very necrotic for us, in my opinion.

Scythe is good XD

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

Got both Greyhawk and Dragonlance, but there aint no DK as class, but ok if that was in the mind when creating the name, guess i learned something. Still DKs in official D&D started off and still are just a “stufe 23 untoter mit rustung” and WoW was kinda the mass spam of it, but they actually made it something you could be as a class, as said in the comparison above Starship Troopers was the first armored white guy mass armada, but Star Wars did make it a culture trope that defined space troopers are guys in identical power suits that aint real armor, come en mass and cant aim even if their life depends on it.
And yeah now that i actually think about it, the first 2 DKs (non-scourge) in WoW were direct rip offs from Miltiades (Gorefiend) and Kargoth (Mograine).

Either way would be awesome if we could use weapons like them.

Agreed. WoW is the source of the spam of DK’s, bringing them to the forefront of pop culture, and making them playable.

Anywho, I’m in favor of more melee necro’s. :P

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

I would absolutely love greatswords on necromancers, if they actually make it balanced by giving melee orientated necromancer acces to invul/blocks and strong melee cleave abilities. A little like death knights in WoW yes.

However it needs to be a choice, it needs to be implemented to give diversity. They should not add this if it means it will be the only viable way to play necro`s from there on. Ranged necro`s should still have options that makes them wanna choose utilities/dps abilities over the invul/blocks melee necros get acces too.

Yes thats a very hard thing to balance/implement but also awesome for the playerbase..

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

true but with a good melee weapon we don’t need them. Hopefully a real melee weapon to boot. Only thing melee about dagger is its 1 attack.

scythe, GS, Spear what ever. Attacks need to be melee range. Then you can have thing like chill and weakness on them to mitigate incoming damage to us something that takes advantage of the plus condi duration of the power line. Maybe something that takes advantage of life stealing as a defense. If the damage you do is limited to melee having a viable life steal becomes an option. What ever it is I think the defense of a necro comes from debilitating our adversary and not from evade or block.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vex.7486

Vex.7486

Hammer, because Entropy.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pyrasia.9281

Pyrasia.9281

Greatsword for Necro should be about Mobility and Power.
1H Sword should be a blend of Dagger and Scepter, so Power and Condition.
Torch Offhand is pure Condition.

Awesome.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

WoW.

a) Deathknights are actually a warcraft thing in the current format, Blackguards have nothing to do with raising undead, controlling blood, etc; they were actually against most of necro stuff even if most shared the same realms of evil in the original few formats since they are just always chaotic evil versions of pallys with even more specific rules and ability to reverse their turn undead into a flesh puppet (same as clerics no matter the school specification and even some specifications of sorcerer and druid).
b) The guys who you mean in d&d terms are Soul Eaters (Life force necro),
Lifedrinker (2 variants, thus liches and vampires/think aatrox or vlad), Warriors of Darkness (metaish alchemy fighters that wow DKs both parody and take a lot of reference from), Master of Shrouds (aka kitten necromancers with the drowish/vampire sun weakness, but doesnt need to be chaotic nor evil), Blood Mages (aka whiny emo dudes that are too stupid to learn arcane or emo dudes to weak physically to cast arcane), Entropomancer (guys going to the logical extreme of using negative energy sources shooting at you with anti matter/kinda what our life blast does), Deaths Chosen (aka the what if our minions could talk), Pale masters (how we summon marks/wells/stuff not related to hurting ourselves or kitten decaying) and the good old True Necromancers (so everything above with all their glory and weaknesses).
Dont make me start typing out the draconian or element/divine based sub classes of necromancy or this post will be 3 pages.

C) warcraft borrowed the concept from EQ1’s shadow knight. aka, the same exact thing but called something different.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

C) warcraft borrowed the concept from EQ1’s shadow knight. aka, the same exact thing but called something different.

Shadowknights are just blackguards but 40 times more emo and worthless…
Its like saying that a WoW druid is the same thing but called different as a GW ranger.
A valid comparison is our GW2 Necros to EQ Shadowknights, low damage, kittenty pets, rely on kiting and siphoning that is kitten or luck based thus never being active when you need it with stupid cooldowns. Just add the specification that 1/4 of their skills needed corpses, the enemy to be undead or item requirement that you needed to spam, yeah no; also the fact that by comparison a heavy armored class is easier to kill than a light armored profession which relies on enemy not to cc you to hell tells everything.

in Necromancer

vicious.5683

If Anet creates DeathKnight as a new class, I’d erase my necro to create one.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

GW2 has already established that not everybodies characters are all the same archtype. e.g. Some mesmers use staves and they are the ‘classic caster’ staying out of melee while others prefer to get their hands dirty with a sword and pistol, duelist style. still other prefer to use a GS, etc. The point is in GW2, there is no “one archtype” that people seem to only want to apply to the necro.

While not everyone wants to be able to use GS and while it wouldn’t fit the theme of everybody’s necro, many do and have been asking for it. The author of this interview made sure to try to let us know that our patience will pay off because all those different arch types we’ve had in mind for our own characters, will be possible.

“Okay… I’ve gotten all that off my chest. Now let’s talk about the specifics Colin and I chatted about during our call”.//// "What’s more is that the team is also working very kitten finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming. Finally those level 80s you’ve been hoarding will get some use, as they’ll be adding more and more skills and traits to the game for years to come and on a regular basis for players to obtain.”

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7597/Guild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brienson.7319

Brienson.7319

I’ll believe that when I see it. Every class having access to every weapon sounds like a balance nightmare.

dragonbrand—

in Necromancer

vicious.5683

I’ll believe that when I see it. Every class having access to every weapon sounds like a balance nightmare.

Not so far from where we are right now

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I really don’t think the balance can get any worse than it currently is. I used to be opposed to multiclassing and such due to balancing issues but right now I’m open to it all. The game has gotten boring and the current meta is kitten .

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I really don’t think the balance can get any worse than it currently is. I used to be opposed to multiclassing and such due to balancing issues but right now I’m open to it all. The game has gotten boring and the current meta is kitten .

yeah, no kidding.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

+1 to scythe.
as long as the gs autoattack applies aoe confusion, ill be happy. oh and boon removal.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE