Necromancer Specialization Name prediction.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Liege Tai.8249

Liege Tai.8249

My money is on warlock, Then again Blackguard sounds good to me also.

in Necromancer

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I’d settle for ‘Useful’ so long as it were true.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Reaper. Just like with the staff 1 whenever a necro swing a GS the black smoke scythe appear.

that would be amazing.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

I thought of another name that could be a possibility. sanguinemancer.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Occultist, Blood Warlock, Dark Magus, Conjurer, Soul Stealer, Spirit Vampire, Velnias (ruler of the dead),

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

in Necromancer

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Wraith.
That’s my guess after really sitting down and thinking about it for a while.

Wraiths are often depicted as beings with black, shadowy robes.
They are also surprisingly often depicted using a sword.
Some examples:

Ringwraiths of LotR use Longswords.
The Dark Portal from WC3 (and WoW) has two very Wraith-like stone figures holding some sort of longswords.
Wraiths in Skyrim are basically just ghosts, but they, too, use swords and longswords.
Wraiths from D&D can appear with any weapon. Swords and Scythes are popular.

And guess what?
Death Shroud used to be called “Wraith Form” a long time ago.
I don’t know if it was an actual alpha name for Death Shroud or just a thing started by fansites, but I heard people calling it by that name a lot.

I think that Death Knight is also a possibility, especially if the specialization switches us from Light Armor to Heavy Armor users.
It’s a bit of a long stretch for sure, but would explain why Necro’s specialization wasn’t seen in the trailer.
I mean Marjory already seems have the GS auto-attack chain, would have been easy to show it on a player character.
However given that an armor class change is unlikely and that people immediately think of WoW when they hear Death Knight (even though they didn’t invent them) I have my doubts that it’ll be used.

Reaper is an another possibility, as is Summoner.

Edit: Ah you said three. My guesses then are Wraith, Death Knight, Reaper!

Benight[Edge]

(edited by LastDay.3524)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I think that Death Knight is also a possibility, especially if the specialization switches us from Light Armor to Heavy Armor users.
It’s a bit of a long stretch for sure, but would explain why Necro’s specialization wasn’t seen in the trailer.r!

They could just give a buff that makes our robes equivalent to armor also, much easier. I dont see them changing our armor type as it would cause a lot of problems.

I dont think it will be wraith since there’s already mobs with that name.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Wraith is a good one too. Wraith and reaver make the most sense to me.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

“Soulsword” in reference to our sword with a soul in it… :P

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Some I think are possible -

Reaver
Slayer
Sorcerer
Shaman
Reaper
Warlock

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Defiler, Doomblade, deathknight, hoping it isn’t the latter.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

“Shadow death master Dragonkiller XLegolasX knight”

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

We know from GW tradition, it will be ONE word. So “Death Knight” is off the table.

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

That website’s name offends my OCD so badly my teeth grind! IT’S MISSING A D!!!

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

manveruppd.7601

Also, one thing I can tell you: the first necro I see holding Twilight and calling themselves Edward, I will make it my personal mission to make their life in the game as miserable as possible.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

Also, one thing I can tell you: the first necro I see holding Twilight and calling themselves Edward, I will make it my personal mission to make their life in the game as miserable as possible.

this made me laugh far more than it should have

in Necromancer

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

I guess i will go on the line of “Medium” too, or at least “Souldblade” of the sorts.
Many weapons, katanas in particular, are renown in legend for housing spirits for harm and for defense, and also worldwide there is still lore of weapons that have an ill will of his own and are like possessed.

Since every specialization has a side of lore behind it and the whole “soul” thing is not fully explored on the actual necro then i would really like to see that…

in Necromancer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

Going by how Marjory got her sword, I guess when we go to the maguuma jungle we will undoubtedly find pact members who wish to be avenged but remain as spirits, and so our specialization will fuse vengeful souls into the greatsword to rend your enemies with.

Avenger? Reaper? One thing’s for sure, we haven’t gotten 2 word class names ever, in both GW1 and GW2.

in Necromancer

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Going by how Marjory got her sword, I guess when we go to the maguuma jungle we will undoubtedly find pact members who wish to be avenged but remain as spirits, and so our specialization will fuse vengeful souls into the greatsword to rend your enemies with.

Avenger? Reaper? One thing’s for sure, we haven’t gotten 2 word class names ever, in both GW1 and GW2.

class quests? oh that would be awesome. but very unlikely.

Still predicting Wraith or Reaver. Or Reaper, but that one is really lame.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

in Necromancer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

I’m pretty sure there will be. You don’t just get to whatever you want automatically. Think Colin mentioned something like it in PAX.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Keian.9216

Keian.9216

Eidolon: an eidolon is said to be a spirit image of a person living or dead. it could also be a shade or a shadow look alike of someone else.

[edit] i honestly hope that we have more than one profession specialization cuz i dont really want to have a greatsword on my necro -_- and having only one specialization makes it seem like were forced to take it to get stronger even if we dont want it
unless its just as strong as the current builds?

(edited by Keian.9216)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Eidolon: an eidolon is said to be a spirit image of a person living or dead. it could also be a shade or a shadow look alike of someone else.

[edit] i honestly hope that we have more than one profession specialization cuz i dont really want to have a greatsword on my necro -_- and having only one specialization makes it seem like were forced to take it to get stronger even if we dont want it
unless its just as strong as the current builds?

It’s only one for now. May be more in the future.

in Necromancer

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

I’m pretty sure there will be. You don’t just get to whatever you want automatically. Think Colin mentioned something like it in PAX.

since this is anet, it’s more likely that this just means some sort of grind or gold cost. an event, if we’re lucky.

but probably nothing what i would consider a quest (something like personal/living story missions)

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

There will be more specializations released over time, acting like secondary professions. You will be able to change between all of hte ones you have unlocked any time you are out of combat, but while in combat having a specialization locks you out of anything unique to other specializations.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kaamau.5341

Kaamau.5341

My bets on reaper, sure its a human thing… but honestly… isn’t necromancers already very much connected to Grenth? like Mesmers to Lyssa? Also it would make sense for greatsword in that when you think of a more traditional reaper, they wield a long melee weapon of some sorts. I also think Medium would kind of be stepping on the feet of Revenant who channels the power of the heroes of the mists, as a Medium communes with the dead and would presumably uses their power… its far to similar to me.

I know the reapers of Grenth blah blah blah… I think the reapers of Grenth are just super powered reapers that have ascended to a god-like status by the help of Grenth, less powerful reapers could likely exist.

Fort Aspenwood
PRAISE GEESUS

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I’m not so sure the Revenant channels the dead. Both given examples of legends to channel were immortals, neither of which we can really say as being dead. Since The Mists hold echoes of past, present, and future, I think the Revenant channels echoes of legends, rather than the souls of the dead.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kaamau.5341

Kaamau.5341

I’m not so sure the Revenant channels the dead. Both given examples of legends to channel were immortals, neither of which we can really say as being dead. Since The Mists hold echoes of past, present, and future, I think the Revenant channels echoes of legends, rather than the souls of the dead.

Yah, but they are very much a long the same lines thematically, to close in fact. You already have Elementalists who channel the different elements.. that would make 3 channeling themes, it seems like its to much to me.

Fort Aspenwood
PRAISE GEESUS

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Stop giving people bad ideas fool

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

My bets on reaper, sure its a human thing… but honestly… isn’t necromancers already very much connected to Grenth? like Mesmers to Lyssa? Also it would make sense for greatsword in that when you think of a more traditional reaper, they wield a long melee weapon of some sorts. I also think Medium would kind of be stepping on the feet of Revenant who channels the power of the heroes of the mists, as a Medium communes with the dead and would presumably uses their power… its far to similar to me.

I know the reapers of Grenth blah blah blah… I think the reapers of Grenth are just super powered reapers that have ascended to a god-like status by the help of Grenth, less powerful reapers could likely exist.

Grenth is the reason we are allowed to have minions, so yes he is pretty core to Necromancers, even if not all the races worship him.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

manveruppd.7601

Stop giving people bad ideas fool

Yeah like they needed me to think of that… :p

in Necromancer

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Abolisher
Arcane Hunter
Blackguard
Blighter
Bloodreaver
Bloodthrall
Bonestalker
Boneweaver
Cabalist
Chaotician
Cultist
Dark Aegis
Darkrunner
Death Warden
Deathgrim
Defiler
Demonologist
Dirgeweaver
Doombringer
Doomlord
Dreadnaught
Dreambreaker
Edgewalker
Eidolon
Executioner
Exorcist
Farslayer
Fiendhunter
Fleshshaper
Grave Guard
Gravesinger
Harbinger
Hellweaver
Hex Warden
Hexblade
Howler
Lamentor
Nightbearer
Nightblade
Nightwitch
Nocturne
Poxbane
Ravager
Reaper
Requiem
Scion
Shadehunter
Shadowbane
Shadowblade
Shadowstriker
Shroudmaster
Skullknight
Tomb Warden
Tombcaller
Wight
Wight Lord

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vence.6974

Vence.6974

Shroudknight
Shroud Breaker

The Yellowflash of GW2

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Irrelevant.

That’s it folks!

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

I’m not sure if anyone got this nor do I care to go back and check. Ahem, : Black\Dark Magician. Reason why I say this is we already have enough minions with their respected skills, spectral and corruption. What we really lack is the ability to create our own boons at the same creating a good amount of boon stripping. Thieves and Mesmers have such a skill, why can’t we?.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

I’d go for Wraith, since Reaper is a PvP-title-thing. And Wraiths have been depicted using swords on numerous occasions.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Elmster.4970

Elmster.4970

Reanimated?

I don’t have a good name for it, but it’d be interesting for Necromancer specialization to center around “dying”… meaning your new skills aren’t available until you are downed/stomped, you then rise from the grave as a terrifying specter or skeletal warrior and have access to a number of skills.

Catch would be, if you don’t kill an enemy within (insert number) seconds, you die for real and have to respawn.

In pvp this would create a need for the other team to identify the spec and avoid killing it for fear of the dark retribution that would ensue.

(edited by Elmster.4970)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

My money is on warlock, Then again Blackguard sounds good to me also.

Blackguard looks good… until you learn that it’s pronounced “Blaggard” rather than “Black Guard” and realize it’s not really that good.

in Necromancer

manveruppd.7601

Reanimator: we’ll get a syringe-shaped greatsword, and square-rimmed glasses as a special headgear skin. And a labcoat light armour skin. Come to think of it, I’d pay gems for these things!

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

Reanimator: we’ll get a syringe-shaped greatsword, and square-rimmed glasses as a special headgear skin. And a labcoat light armour skin. Come to think of it, I’d pay gems for these things!

Reanimator sounds like an expansion to Minion Master, at which point i have to say “OH GOD PLEASE NO!”. Not that I have anything against MM, but with the kittenpoor Minion AI, the pathing Problems, the glitches that haven’T been fixed since release like Bone Minions’ blast finisher delay and the fact that AE’s destroy your little army in seconds, i just have to say NO. NOPE. NADA. NIENTE. NEVER.

Oh and it would also be bad in PvE, and we really, REALLY do need a way to play that makes us desirable in Dungeons. I mean, even in CoF the Turret-things all but twoshot your minions, and trying to do p1 in Arah? No, dude, the cast-time would be higher than the time they’d stay alive…

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I hate to break it to you but this expansion is very unlikely to fix our PvE.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

The larger problem is they do fix it, but all the fixes are aimed at the specialization as opposed to getting the Necromancer fixed first and making the new specialization viable in its own way.

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

You sure? Because a melee cleaving power option is already a good start (and, if you look at Marjory, it looks like this will be what the GS brings. If it has the same ability, then OH BOI. Chill on the third AA? Yes please! Especially with the defiance system being changed so CC will wittle away that bar and get the boss stunned if it hits 0…with cc on every third aa, or even if it is “only” a 4-50% chance, it should rock). Also GS usually has a mobility skill on #3 which will help a lot, the Death Shroud mechanic should change, the most likely thing we will “lose” is all minions (heal, utilites, elite) with a new set of utilities that might contain a group-buff… Actually, yeah, i do think the Spec will fix our PvE. BUT thats the Spec, i have no doubt Core-Necro will still be terribad at it.

Source for new defiance system :

http://www.tentonhammer.com/preview/guild-wars-2-exclusive-meet-defiant-wyvern

http://www.tentonhammer.com/interview/guild-wars-2-interview-jon-peters-and-kevin-stocker-talk-defiance-wyvern

And it has been posted on the forums by an anet-member that they still think about how they will implement this with older bosses, but it will most likely work the same, just not tied to any huge attack.

From the second Link : “Jon: One thing I will say is that because the Defiance bar is going to be in the core game, we’re not going to keep the old Defiance system on the old bosses. They’re going to use at least the most basic version of – they have a bar that you have to work together to break to stun this creature. That is the most basic version and that is the version that will exist which we retrofit that we don’t have time to do more on. That’s in every part of the game, not just Heart Of Thorns.

(edited by Shiki.7148)

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Notice they never said cripple, chill, or immobilize would play into the new Defiance at all.

Plus, I doubt the specialization will lose minions. Marjory is probably the example of the new specialization and she still summons minions.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

It’s been confirmed that the Necro specialization is

Revenant

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

You sure?

Yes. Defiance still won’t be a good enough reason to bring Necromancer (we have 0 confirmation so far that chill will work with defiance as well), because there are other professions with incredible CC.

We still have no unique utility, we still have mediocre DPS, our traits are bad, and we don’t have particularly good utility/weapon skills. They don’t need to fix every single one of those to make us better, but I highly doubt they will even address more than one or two.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nox Lucis.8341

Nox Lucis.8341

I suspect that the Necro specialization will go in either one of two directions. This profession has always been a little trope confused. Necromancers are generally assumed to operate primarily by summoning the dead, while in GW2 that just seems to be a small footnote in this generalized dark-caster’s spellbook. I think the new specialization will embrace and emphasize one of the Necro’s two thematic halves.

“Summoner”: This should go back to the actual meaning of the word “necromancer” as one who calls to the dead for power and knowledge. This needn’t be another “pet class”. Rather, it could focus on wielding the power of the dead internally as a means to protect and strengthen. Imagine the Necro with Guardian-like party-wide buffing power. It could also be fairly called “Invoker” as well.

“Warlock”: This would emphasize the Necro as a dark-caster wielding corrosive black magic. I would expect this to be a selfish yet punishing class that makes better use of conditions and CC, including chill and burn. This is also a nice place for Anet to use some of their new tech such as cascade and taunt.

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

You sure?

Yes. Defiance still won’t be a good enough reason to bring Necromancer (we have 0 confirmation so far that chill will work with defiance as well), because there are other professions with incredible CC.

We still have no unique utility, we still have mediocre DPS, our traits are bad, and we don’t have particularly good utility/weapon skills. They don’t need to fix every single one of those to make us better, but I highly doubt they will even address more than one or two.

They even consider “Blind” a CC. Do you REALLY think Chill wouldn’t be? As for mediocre DPS, i call bullkitten. Watch the videos of “I am one and i am legion” on youtube, he has a very good video showing of that, in fact, our damage can measure up to that of a warrior. Our REAL problem is no group buffs. As for whether or not that will change, we’ll see.

As for defiance, let’s just say that Necro is a profession that can bring 4-7 CC’s on a set without loosing damage. Warriors would lose a pretty hefty amount of DPS if they tried to bring that much CC. Let’s see, GS on Warri has… 4 second Cripple. On one skill. Power (Zerker) Necro usually runs Dagger + Focus/Warhorn. That is a immob on dagger, a daze and a lot of cripple on warhorn (especially traited) and chill on focus, as well as some nice vulnerability stacking. On Dagger/Warhorn + Staff it is immob, daze, cripple, chill and fear. And then there is another fear in DS avaiable to both options. Then the trait of inflicting Chill every x seconds after the target is below 50% hp, and, if you can fit it in there, blind and bleeding on entering DS. Thats a lot of CC the Necro can dish out alone, while NOT shaving off his DPS because its what power necros tend to run anyway.

As for the group utility and bad traits, yes, i completely agree, and it is something the spec would need to bring. The thing is, now with the confirmation that upkeep-skills are back and will be handed out not only to the revenant, but also some specializations, I’d figure Necro would be a “prime target” to get one, using up his Life Force as long as it is active… and if that is an AE buff, Debuff or combo field of (almost) any description that would help immensly. But PAX East is coming soon and there will be a HoT Demo…and somehow i doubt that the revenant will be the only thing avaiable. Who knows.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

They even consider “Blind” a CC. Do you REALLY think Chill wouldn’t be?

Yes. Blind currently interacts with the those buffs, chill does not.

As for mediocre DPS, i call bullkitten. Watch the videos of “I am one and i am legion” on youtube, he has a very good video showing of that, in fact, our damage can measure up to that of a warrior. Our REAL problem is no group buffs. As for whether or not that will change, we’ll see.

That video is full of bad asumptions. Nothing against Nemesis, he had other great theory crafting videos, but that one is not one of them. Warrior has higher DPS than Necromancer, any of the PvE DPS calculations can show you that.

As for defiance, let’s just say that Necro is a profession that can bring 4-7 CC’s on a set without loosing damage. Warriors would lose a pretty hefty amount of DPS if they tried to bring that much CC. Let’s see, GS on Warri has… 4 second Cripple. On one skill. Power (Zerker) Necro usually runs Dagger + Focus/Warhorn. That is a immob on dagger, a daze and a lot of cripple on warhorn (especially traited) and chill on focus, as well as some nice vulnerability stacking. On Dagger/Warhorn + Staff it is immob, daze, cripple, chill and fear. And then there is another fear in DS avaiable to both options. Then the trait of inflicting Chill every x seconds after the target is below 50% hp, and, if you can fit it in there, blind and bleeding on entering DS. Thats a lot of CC the Necro can dish out alone, while NOT shaving off his DPS because its what power necros tend to run anyway.

That is a lot of assumptions on what will work with Defiant, and just a lot of assumptions in general. Also any skill cast that isn’t part of your DPS rotation is a drop in DPS. It might be true that Necromancer can have access to a decent few CCs in their power build, and some of them might not cripple their DPS, but that doesn’t mean that they will actually deal with defiant any better than another profession who will fit PvE better.

My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

The only thing Necros really have regarding Defiant stripping is the fact they all automatically have a good Fear that takes negligible amount from DPS (and may add to it, depending on build). The only other profession that claims free access to hard CC loses all clone/phantasm DPS when they use it.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Doom is techniquely always a dps increase as its instant cast and you can do it while flashing DS (it has a small direct damage component). Obviously i dont recommend using it in dps rotations simply because of the potential for fear screw ups in pug groups. Plus the damage gain is negligible and difficult to pull off perfectly. So its generally not worth it for most players or most of the time. But as a free defiant stack stripper its one of the best in the game.