Power Necro Viable?

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Just curious if power necro is tourney viable I am going for my next champ title which is phantom and absolutely despise condition builds I think they are nothing more than mindless spamming…. So is there a viable power necro build? I was thinking axe/focus+dagger/warhorn 30/10/0/0/30

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Well I hate to tell you this but that kind of power build is even more spamming.

EverythingOP

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

jportell.2197

Well I hate to tell you this but that kind of power build is even more spamming.

Lol Wut? At least power builds involve some kind of risk… Condi builds are just spam aoe on the point epidemic the whole team died…. Mindless bs…. And I will never seriously play a condi build of any kind on any class they are mindless and lame and toxic to the game.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Applying conditions doesn’t take much skill. Keeping them on after they’ve been repeatedly cleansed and knowing which conditions to use when does take skill.
If you want to be a power build because you think conditions are toxic.. You’ll be slapping people with 6 – 10k crits in Death Shroud as a power. I don’t get your logic.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Sorry to say, but once you hop into DS uptime it’s pretty spammy. Apart from knowing when to use 2-5 skills and watching for reflects, you’ll be spamming LB.

Downtime on DS is another thing and greater risk than Condi.

You can search for mine (Natchiony PvP build, just swap Plague signet with WoP+Reaper’s might instead of signet cd) and you’ll be set for 14 days till the patch hits. Then my build loses so much critical damage (yes, in spvp) that I don’t think it’ll be viable without major changes anymore.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

The fact is that any zerk build is outclassed by thieves. For example, i like my 30/0/10/0/30 power necro, it can do some nasty dmg with LB and lich form, but a thief can just shut you down with interrupts (steal 20s cd, PW 0s cd, headshot 0s cd), and you cannot kite him cause he got too many shadowsteps.
Your best bet is to burst him down with the combo immobilize + WoS + AA to death, but usually they have a disengage ready, you can try to daze them with warhorn to prevent it and kepp Auto attacking them.
The best chance to shot them is when they are not aware of you and they already engaged on someone else, you get in the fight and drop 2 LB on the thief, if u are lucky u’ll get fire blast proc and the second LB will proc Chill of death, thats usually an insta down.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ugruk.4069

Ugruk.4069

Power necro is Life blast spam xD

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

The thing is, if the Thief plays defensivly vs. Power neceo and he’s good at it, you have little chance to beat him.
If Thief plays more aggressivly he should lose. Just time your fear, grasp and daze.

And best AoE is Swarm+T.Shackles+L.Transfer+Unholy Feast. This combo alone can kill Thief in stealth and should finish him.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

@Rym Do you think there will be a viable power necro build anymore after this patch?

I love my power necro but the crit dmg nerf will hit him so hard since you rely so heavily on the ~100% crit rate when in DS. Going to be really sad if I have am forced to play Dire condi spam after this patch.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

jportell.2197

Ummm for those saying the critical damage nerf will kill pvp power builds it won’t. They aren’t changing crit damage there just pve/wvw

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

They aren’t changing crit damage there just pve/wvw

They are replacing the gear stat “critical damage” with ferocity for every game mode.
So yes, it will also affect sPvP, especially considering that PvP-gear will be removed from the game entirely.

But no, power builds will still be viable. Nevertheless, your prejudice against condition builds is unfounded.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

jportell.2197

They aren’t changing crit damage there just pve/wvw

They are replacing the gear stat “critical damage” with ferocity for every game mode.
So yes, it will also affect sPvP, especially considering that PvP-gear will be removed from the game entirely.

But no, power builds will still be viable. Nevertheless, your prejudice against condition builds is unfounded.

My prejudice against condition builds comes from playing one of the weakest classes to conditions in the game and seeing just how unbalanced they are and way to out of control since everyone except guardians has swapped to a condi build. And they are changing it to ferocity yes… but the damage in sPvP will still be the same… It won’t be a 10-20% damage decrease like pve/wvw.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Lol Wut? At least power builds involve some kind of risk… Condi builds are just spam aoe on the point epidemic the whole team died…. Mindless bs…. And I will never seriously play a condi build of any kind on any class they are mindless and lame and toxic to the game.

I never implied power builds as a whole but a necromancer 30/x/x/x/30 build is most likely shoot life blast till the enemy dies. More spam than that is not possible.

EverythingOP

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

If someone is just letting you spam LB on them then that is your opponents fault. It’s not really as much spam as everyone claims it be. It’s constant jumping into and out of DS. And for those have trouble with thieves, try dropping axe/focus for staff. Staff generates great LF at range and marks are great for dealing with melee oponents.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

jportell.2197

If someone is just letting you spam LB on them then that is your opponents fault. It’s not really as much spam as everyone claims it be. It’s constant jumping into and out of DS. And for those have trouble with thieves, try dropping axe/focus for staff. Staff generates great LF at range and marks are great for dealing with melee oponents.

^This right here… plus its april fool’s bobblehead lich anyone?

Attachments:

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Berullos.6928

Berullos.6928

Power necro loses to any sustain class. If they outlive your bursts you’re screwed/dead.

A zerk thief with shortbow can outlast you its really sad. Same thing with a pistol thief.

Power necro really shines with a partner though. You take all the heat, and bring aoe/dps/cleave while the thief/mesmer/or whatever can res you so you dont die to dumb cheese.

In team fights power necro can cleave super hard. Double wells + Marks + Death shroud 4/5. And Lich. If someone can protect you, you can cleave the entire point of bunkers/teammates or whoever is trying to res.

The well of corruption demolishes them.

Thief/Mesmer who just camp at range with shortbow/GS. YOu’ll lose to. Our terrible mobility along side bad ranged damage makes us lose badly. And you can’t escape from their auto damage since they can keep up with you easily. Once you get low/opportunity arises they just go in for a burst.

If you try to burst them they just blink away and you can’t keep them nearby.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

Ummm for those saying the critical damage nerf will kill pvp power builds it won’t. They aren’t changing crit damage there just pve/wvw

Next patch I lose 10% crit damage from trait stats (20% instead of 30%) and 5% from lose of jewel + some minor loss from runeset.
If you’re running full zerk amulet like Thieves, Mesmers etc. nowadays the feeocity change doesn’t affect you much since loss of stat is compensated in Zerk/crit dmg stat amulet. But if you’re running more balanced versions like mine, with Barb amulet+zerk jewel etc. you take a loss. In my case, about half of my crit damage

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Shaogin.2679

Power necro loses to any sustain class. If they outlive your bursts you’re screwed/dead.

A zerk thief with shortbow can outlast you its really sad. Same thing with a pistol thief.

Power necro really shines with a partner though. You take all the heat, and bring aoe/dps/cleave while the thief/mesmer/or whatever can res you so you dont die to dumb cheese.

In team fights power necro can cleave super hard. Double wells + Marks + Death shroud 4/5. And Lich. If someone can protect you, you can cleave the entire point of bunkers/teammates or whoever is trying to res.

The well of corruption demolishes them.

Thief/Mesmer who just camp at range with shortbow/GS. YOu’ll lose to. Our terrible mobility along side bad ranged damage makes us lose badly. And you can’t escape from their auto damage since they can keep up with you easily. Once you get low/opportunity arises they just go in for a burst.

If you try to burst them they just blink away and you can’t keep them nearby.

Again, really have no issues with sustain classes or people trying to range me. Staff doesn’t hit hard, but it pierces and gives 4% LF per hit on an AA. And on top of that I run with spectral abilities, especially Spectral Grasp. I have plenty of chill, cc, and DS uptime to deal with just about anything I come across.

I think the only thing that has ever given me trouble is Sword/Dagger evade spam Thief. I don’t see them often, but totally catches me off guard when I do.

Gate of Madness

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

Power Necro is very good atm. A little underestimated by most as well. Thieves aren’t a main concern (you are pretty tanky) it’s more hambow warriors that’s the issue and depending on the situation it is manageable.

I run staff, dagger/focus with double wells and flesh wurm (very under utilized ability, great on Forest and Khylo). IMO focus is just too good to not use. Great burst set up and utility with the boon strip. The combination of wells and lich form can turn a team fight faster than anything else I’ve seen. Lastly, it’s not lb spam. Play the build properly and you’ll have fun and a decent amount of success.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Shaogin.2679

Power Necro is very good atm. A little underestimated by most as well. Thieves aren’t a main concern (you are pretty tanky) it’s more hambow warriors that’s the issue and depending on the situation it is manageable.

I run staff, dagger/focus with double wells and flesh wurm (very under utilized ability, great on Forest and Khylo). IMO focus is just too good to not use. Great burst set up and utility with the boon strip. The combination of wells and lich form can turn a team fight faster than anything else I’ve seen. Lastly, it’s not lb spam. Play the build properly and you’ll have fun and a decent amount of success.

I do love having the focus but I’d miss my warhorn too much. That unblockable daze, and the crazy amount of Life Force that the Locust Swarm puts out. I just pick up Chill of Death instead.

Gate of Madness

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Pyriall.5027

I do love having the focus but I’d miss my warhorn too much. That unblockable daze, and the crazy amount of Life Force that the Locust Swarm puts out. I just pick up Chill of Death instead.

Warhorn is very good, I just have found very few situations where I would have preferred having it over the focus. The focus also gives you an alternate burst combo outside of the standard well bomb. Reaper’s touch is very very good, comboing it with dark path catches people off guard and they don’t expect that much damage as suddenly as it happens. Especially if they are in range for a chill of death proc as well.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

I believe there are two main types of Powermancer: Well-bomb and Shroud. Both are viable imo when played right when Shroud is more solo oriented and Well more conquest mode TF based.
And I agree that Focus may be better for Well one.

Personally, I run couple versions of Shroud in tpvp and WvW and I always use Axe/Dagger+Dagger/Warhorn, but just personal preference I guess

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Just curious if power necro is tourney viable I am going for my next champ title which is phantom and absolutely despise condition builds I think they are nothing more than mindless spamming…. So is there a viable power necro build? I was thinking axe/focus+dagger/warhorn 30/10/0/0/30

It’s really ignorant to say that power builds require skill and condition builds are mindless spamming.

The fact is the best power necro build is power wells which involves placing giant wells on point, spamming death shroud 1, spamming Lich form 1.

Ranger//Necro

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ugruk.4069

Ugruk.4069

Try glass canon elementalist it is more like playing on a piano instead of auto on death shrowd

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Loyo.8526

Loyo.8526

Thread went from someone saying condis are spamming to people saying Power is spammy. Its not. Stop speccing Deathly Invigoration and Life blasting all the time. Strange how the best way people defend condi not being spammy is to bash power builds for being spammy. You just had to mention stuff like active condi xfers, selective boon watching, Utility Management (epidemicing conditioned dead bodies) and mark prioritization.

As for the comment on Ele, Yes. It is wayyyy more active than DS1ing all day, but even Power builds for necro in general. Even though I am defending power, I would be silly to admit its even close to the piano keys of Ele.

Khloe Deschanel – Human Necromancer/ Ami Ginju – Human Ranger [DOLO] -SBI
I stream sometimes: http://www.twitch.tv/kidtofu/
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum”

(edited by Loyo.8526)

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Shaogin.2679

Thread went from someone saying condis are spamming to people saying Power is spammy. Its not. Stop speccing Deathly Invigoration and Life blasting all the time. Strange how the best way people defend condi not being spammy is to bash power builds for being spammy. You just had to mention stuff like active condi xfers, selective boon watching, Utility Management (epidemicing conditioned dead bodies) and mark prioritization.

As for the comment on Ele, Yes. It is wayyyy more active than DS1ing all day, but even Power builds for necro in general. Even though I am defending power, I would be silly to admit its even close to the piano keys of Ele.

Oh yeah, I tried Ele once. It reminds me a lot of my Engi. Much more complicated than Necro, and it is always fun to go up against a good D/D Ele. However, if you are playing power Necro and just spamming LB, you are not getting the fullest potential out of your build. Played right, though not as complicated as an Ele, power Necro is extremely fun and active to play. And if you check out the build link in my signature, that is what I run. No wells. It is more single target oriented, but I do just fine when outnumbered by taking down the easiest targets first till it is just a 1v1 with my final oponent

Gate of Madness

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Condi is spammy against people who don’t know what they are doing or aren’t paying attention.
Power is spammy against people who don’t know what they are doing or aren’t paying attention.

If you have to actually play, both require timing and awareness to be successful. You can dodge condi application, and you can time condi cleanse. Done well, you force a condi opponent to start pacing their conditions. Do you cleanse with only 5 bleeds, or do you let them run? Are you waiting for the burst of bleeds that just isn’t coming and taking unnecessary damage? What cooldowns do they have and what can you dodge if you DO decide to cleanse to minimize any post-cleanse condi burst?

The more I actually consider condis, the less of a problem I have with them. And sometimes with my Power spec, I just chase someone down dropping LB hammers until they go down and there’s nothing they can do. In fact, I’m surprised there isn’t more complaining about Power Necros. How can people not complain about how much damage LB does while taking significantly less damage in DS? I have no idea.

But I digress. I’m glad to see people are finding success with Power Necro in tournies.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

Power necro loses to any sustain class.

What game are you playing? cause it sure isn’t gws. You will be hard pressed to find a class that can deal 5k+ a hit for over 2 minutes straight. If they do more than you its only burst and the have low hp/armor so you DS and win. If they can take some of your hits and not die, they do no damage so you just tank them and win…..

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

jportell.2197

Power necro loses to any sustain class.

What game are you playing? cause it sure isn’t gws. You will be hard pressed to find a class that can deal 5k+ a hit for over 2 minutes straight. If they do more than you its only burst and the have low hp/armor so you DS and win. If they can take some of your hits and not die, they do no damage so you just tank them and win…..

^Lol this…. It’s so funny how hard power necro hits life blast or otherwise…. and at full life force its about 30,000 HP…. I have ran around with 3 people trying to kill me and even downed a couple…. lets just say i like power necro way more than condi after trying it.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Shaogin.2679

Condi is spammy against people who don’t know what they are doing or aren’t paying attention.
Power is spammy against people who don’t know what they are doing or aren’t paying attention.

If you have to actually play, both require timing and awareness to be successful. You can dodge condi application, and you can time condi cleanse. Done well, you force a condi opponent to start pacing their conditions. Do you cleanse with only 5 bleeds, or do you let them run? Are you waiting for the burst of bleeds that just isn’t coming and taking unnecessary damage? What cooldowns do they have and what can you dodge if you DO decide to cleanse to minimize any post-cleanse condi burst?

The more I actually consider condis, the less of a problem I have with them. And sometimes with my Power spec, I just chase someone down dropping LB hammers until they go down and there’s nothing they can do. In fact, I’m surprised there isn’t more complaining about Power Necros. How can people not complain about how much damage LB does while taking significantly less damage in DS? I have no idea.

But I digress. I’m glad to see people are finding success with Power Necro in tournies.

Those complainer are there. lol. I always get people from PvP matches telling me what a noob I am after killing them cause “Deathshroud is just a crutch and requires no skill.”

Gate of Madness

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

I believe the reason is that still not many people play it in competitive modes because MM is way easier when it comes to 1v1 or holding and the general portrait of meta spec is Dumbfire condi.
It’s also because Power spec gets worse when you face more skilled players. At this point it becomes something way more than Life Blast casting because the cast is slow, easy to dodge, can be countered with movement and it’s extremaly vulnerable to Blinds / Aegis.

Power spec doesn’t have very defined spec either. We can hold points pretty good since DS is excellent 1v1, roam a bit with right setup, teamfight with good AoE burst (but coming with long cd). However, we’re not the best choice in any of these situations – Good hambow/decap engi will force you to leave the point (in 1st situation you kill it, but you have to kite a bit), Engis/Dumbfire Necros/Hambows/Guardians/Spirit Rangers are more reliable in teamfights and provide a little more utility. As for roaming, well, we might hit hard and be painful, but still the Thief is, hands down, most mobile roamer and again, brings SRefuge.

On WvW pretty much everything can crit high if you spec for it and Life Blast is no exception.

Another thing is, IMO our greatest counter, good medi guardian is very rare in both game modes since it hasn’t clear role either.

It might shift but, well… With upcoming nerfs to crit damage across all game modes, including tpvp, many will just stay Condition, many will roll one again (me) and some will just continue to ignore Power possibilities.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Was roaming with some friends last night. We were 2 power necros, 1 condi and 1 mobility warrior. Took on a group of about 20 people and won (5 vs 20 as we had 1 pug ele join the fight halfway through). Necros are seriously strong when working together.

Ive tried condi in wvw and i just dont feel as powerful or as useful with it. Maybe its because im not use to it as i play a lot of pve. But i definately have a lot more success with power whether its in a zerg or solo or in small group fights. When those cooldowns are up you can absolutely destroy groups of people in seconds whereas condi gives them more time to cleanse and avoid the damage.

ps. Ive been using 30/10 while roaming and I dont think ive ever sat in DS and spammed lifeblast. Good fights dont allow you to do that. So when played properly its not a very spammy build.

(edited by Spoj The Second.7680)

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Next patch I lose 10% crit damage from trait stats (20% instead of 30%) and 5% from lose of jewel + some minor loss from runeset.
If you’re running full zerk amulet like Thieves, Mesmers etc. nowadays the feeocity change doesn’t affect you much since loss of stat is compensated in Zerk/crit dmg stat amulet. But if you’re running more balanced versions like mine, with Barb amulet+zerk jewel etc. you take a loss. In my case, about half of my crit damage

I believe all of the amulets (save Celestial) that have crit damage will have an amount of Feroicty to provide the same crit damage as before, plus 10% (to make up for the 10% lost from traits).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

I believe all of the amulets (save Celestial) that have crit damage will have an amount of Feroicty to provide the same crit damage as before, plus 10% (to make up for the 10% lost from traits).

But at the same time other using other Amulet like Barbarian (me) with some dps jewel is no more. We also suffer from crit damage reductions from runesets (og

(edited by Rym.1469)

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

But at the same time other using other Amulet like Barbarian (me) with some dps jewel is no more. We also suffer from crit damage reductions from runesets (og

You say it’s no more, but didn’t they mention they were increasing the variability of the stats on the amulets now that they are removing the gem? Maybe your amulet/gem combination will be one of the permutations.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

As said before, there are 2 ways u can go:

-full burst with 2x wells and lich, prefer scepter/focus for ranged reliable dmg&LF… its fun, but needs others in team to have tanky support roles and limits you to 2 node strategies

-a more deathshroud, self sustainable based path… basicaly leetos d/d … its more alround so its as good as you are… its getting nerfed a bit but so are the main OP specs… best looks and most fun for power necro veterans

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

jportell.2197

As said before, there are 2 ways u can go:

-full burst with 2x wells and lich, prefer scepter/focus for ranged reliable dmg&LF… its fun, but needs others in team to have tanky support roles and limits you to 2 node strategies

-a more deathshroud, self sustainable based path… basicaly leetos d/d … its more alround so its as good as you are… its getting nerfed a bit but so are the main OP specs… best looks and most fun for power necro veterans

I’m doing the deathshroud focused one… It’s pretty ridiculous and the life force generation is nice… I think I may have found my new favorite build. I can tank two people for a bit too… it’s kinda nutty.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: MercilessLemurs.7459

MercilessLemurs.7459

Power necro is viable for all parts of the game. I run knight/cav wellomancer in wvw. 30 10 0 0 30. It wrecks.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

I am only playing spvp. But my build with 30/30/0/10/0 is a bit different than the usual builds it seems. I like this build especially in groups vs. groups, wearing scepter/focus and staff. Utility: signet of spite, spectral walk and corrupt boon (I changed wells recently for corrupt boon, cuz this skill can murder any opponent especially eles and guardians.) Good fun to play and im still figuring out what can be done better, but you could check this build out. And it does not look like mindless spamming to me, cuz you are pretty vulnerable to thieves en mesmers most of the times.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Wellmancer. I had a good one back when I cared about GW2 competitively. You can have it if you want, don’t know if it still works, but it was the best one I had ever seen when I was still playing.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vile.5678

Vile.5678

I don’t think it is honestly. From experience, as I played it I’m always thinking that I could do ‘x’ better on ‘y’ class. You can be surprisingly tanky if you take soldiers amulet and have good lifeforce regen. But other than that I find the DPS only ok and too slow. Plus, I find you pretty much NEED piercing on lifeblast to fight in this zoo meta. I couldn’t even hit a kitten ranger because he spirits kept blocking everything. I really think that should be changed. I shouldn’t need piercing to hit a target through a god kitten petting zoo. Also, like someone else mentioned, against someone who isn’t terrible, you have to work pretty hard to kill them relative to what I can do on my other characters.

Warrior – Whrawl
Thief – Radderic
Mesmer – Smash Kablooey

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Shaogin.2679

I don’t think it is honestly. From experience, as I played it I’m always thinking that I could do ‘x’ better on ‘y’ class. You can be surprisingly tanky if you take soldiers amulet and have good lifeforce regen. But other than that I find the DPS only ok and too slow. Plus, I find you pretty much NEED piercing on lifeblast to fight in this zoo meta. I couldn’t even hit a kitten ranger because he spirits kept blocking everything. I really think that should be changed. I shouldn’t need piercing to hit a target through a god kitten petting zoo. Also, like someone else mentioned, against someone who isn’t terrible, you have to work pretty hard to kill them relative to what I can do on my other characters.

You can be tanky without the soldier’s ammy. The Life Force generation on a Spectral Power Necro is unreal. And the damage is great. I have had no issues at all in sPvP or PvE. The downside is I bring no group support, but that is not my problem. ;-)

I love power builds and have tried them on multiple classes, and Necro is one of the must survivable classes in full zerker that is still capable of dishing out high damage attacks.

Gate of Madness

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

jportell.2197

Hey another quick question if running a DS heavy DPS build like 30/x/x/x/30 build in PvP with deathly perception, would it be feasible to run a cavaliers amulet when they are released in PvP?

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

There are very few builds in this game that are not spam builds. You’re either going to spam conditions or spam your main dps ability.

If you run a 30/10/0/0/30 you’re pretty much saying you want to spam LB.
(i think everyone else covered that bit above me)

What you want to know is what power build is not a spam build. I would actually say the most common non-spam build type is MM. Minionmancers need to time many of their skills correctly to win fights efficiently. I’m not a huge fan of MM because its just not my style. But they do take some practice despite what the bulk of the community would have you believe (mostly the same people who say spamming staff marks is what staff is for).

As for me I run a couple power builds that are less LB/crit oriented and more power/toughness/aoe. It’s really up to you to find or create a build that suits you.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

A DS heavy build will be spammy very spammy, but the real point, IMO, is that the fact that your main damage is spamming it allows you to watch where you are and properly kite and whatnot.

I used to play a very aggressive dagger/DS focused necro and couldn’t get it. Then I learned to kite properly and it’s been an entirely different experience.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I run a power build with a/f + d/w on my necro in PvP, but I usually do it with minions. As such, I’m usually 20/0/20/30/0. I think people usually use it for bunkering, but I often just run around in hotjoin and see what I can do with it. Sometimes it works quite well, other times not so much, especially when the minions are down. I run full soldier’s with it (or maybe soldier’s ammy with berserker’s jewel).

I don’t feel the build is really that spammy, at least not more than normal. Not sure what you think of minions though.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Pyriall.5027

This game/community seem to redefine spammy. Spam to me is repeated use of abilities without regard for situation or CD. If you’re just using LB over and over on full ds, then you’re not taking advantage of the utility it provides and those situations where you simply need to peel or soak damage.

Are you going to use LB? Yes. Should you sit in DS and just keep hitting it over and over and expect great results? No. With using wells and focus, you have alternate means of burst and using staff gives you peels/kiting tools when necessary.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

This game/community seem to redefine spammy. Spam to me is repeated use of abilities without regard for situation or CD. If you’re just using LB over and over on full ds, then you’re not taking advantage of the utility it provides and those situations where you simply need to peel or soak damage.

Are you going to use LB? Yes. Should you sit in DS and just keep hitting it over and over and expect great results? No. With using wells and focus, you have alternate means of burst and using staff gives you peels/kiting tools when necessary.

+1

Said this earlier. Ive been using this so called spammy build in wvw but havent ever spammed lifeblast more than 3 times in a row.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

+1

Said this earlier. Ive been using this so called spammy build in wvw but havent ever spammed lifeblast more than 3 times in a row.

I hadn’t ever quantified it, but 3 times is in fact about as much as you really use it. The only times I go over 3 are when someone is casually trying to run away at about 1000 distance or something. Most often, you have something better you could be doing in that time at that point.

Power Necro Viable?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Percidios.8213

Percidios.8213

Applying conditions doesn’t take much skill. Keeping them on after they’ve been repeatedly cleansed and knowing which conditions to use when does take skill.
If you want to be a power build because you think conditions are toxic.. You’ll be slapping people with 6 – 10k crits in Death Shroud as a power. I don’t get your logic.

you serious with your 6-10k blasts ? im power necro and the most dmg ive done with blast is 5.4k…its alot sure but nothing compared to thief with their 8k minimum crit backstab and 6k minimum heartseeker spam.