Reaper is hands down awesome

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

I’m not feeling it, I kept getting downed by humanoid Mordrem in the intro PS, there was this cave with killer mushrooms that kept making me their plaything, the only places I seemed to do well in were the Amber Fort PS instance, and the Faren chain with eventual Wyrven fight. I’m wondering if it was the gear they gave me Celestial, or the utilities which were wells instead of the shouts.

This sucks because I really wanted to like this as it seemed like a throw back to WoWs Deathknight when it was new.

Sounds like you were playing it wrong. Throw away all that celestial gear. Put on full zerker gear with strength runes. Replace shouts with stronger utilities. The elite shout is cool though. Take some time to learn what each skill does for GS and in RS.

Now you go and mow everything down. You can block projectiles. Blind. Fear. Have access to stab. Not to mention the strengths of Reaper which are chill, self-might stacking and vulnerability application.

Reaper was by far the most OP PvE Elite Spec I have tried so far.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

in Necromancer

Posted by: the noobiniser.7465

the noobiniser.7465

I’m not feeling it, I kept getting downed by humanoid Mordrem in the intro PS, there was this cave with killer mushrooms that kept making me their plaything, the only places I seemed to do well in were the Amber Fort PS instance, and the Faren chain with eventual Wyrven fight. I’m wondering if it was the gear they gave me Celestial, or the utilities which were wells instead of the shouts.

This sucks because I really wanted to like this as it seemed like a throw back to WoWs Deathknight when it was new.

That’s easily explained, everything in verdant brink kills you, it’s the australia of gw2, reaper is awesome, but so are the mobs there. They rek you….

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

So Reaper while fun still lacks what necromancers always lacked, Team support.

Because the Reaper can’t fill his bar up with shouts and take Rune of the Soldier?

Because being a living blender with a ton of AoE skills that can throw off the rotations of several enemies at once isn’t useful? Seriously, a Reaper can turn a losing fight into a winning one if they do things just right. AoE boon conversion (2 boons into 10 vuln on each opponent hit. Be a shame if they lost those might stacks,) potent AoE attacks on GS and in RS (and, hell, unblockable staff has always been decent about giving a quick, initiating bit of burst) AND an elite that freezes people, chills them for 8 seconds or more and damages relatively heavily? Yeah, we don’t help at all

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

That’s easily explained, everything in verdant brink kills you, it’s the australia of gw2, reaper is awesome, but so are the mobs there. They rek you….

Not if you’re a Soldier Reaper ;p

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Because the Reaper can’t fill his bar up with shouts and take Rune of the Soldier?

Because being a living blender with a ton of AoE skills that can throw off the rotations of several enemies at once isn’t useful? Seriously, a Reaper can turn a losing fight into a winning one if they do things just right. AoE boon conversion (2 boons into 10 vuln on each opponent hit. Be a shame if they lost those might stacks,) potent AoE attacks on GS and in RS (and, hell, unblockable staff has always been decent about giving a quick, initiating bit of burst) AND an elite that freezes people, chills them for 8 seconds or more and damages relatively heavily? Yeah, we don’t help at all

1. Person A argues, stating that Reaper doesn’t have team support.
  2. Person B argues against Person A, stating that Reaper has team support.
  3. Person C argues against Person B, stating that Reaper has team support.

You are Person C.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

You people kill me. Try another class, then come back and tell me how awesome we are, totally delusional i swear. A Tempest can out damage you, a guardian can make you inept as far as survival? What the are you playing?

Have to agree with the others. And I did try all the other elite specs and I still like the reaper a lot. And yeah, why are you so angry? People have a different opinion than you. It happens. No need to be angry.

Pretty sure the anger part comes in because of all the “high praises” in this thread and several others, when those who have actually played other specializations and professions know full well that necro/reaper is still not balanced or competitive. Its frustrating seeing people generating a false impression by singing the praises of reaper/necromancer like this because its going to give the devs a pass to leave it like it is.

The design is still very flawed. Yes, it generates lots of self only might, which makes it seem strong in solo play. The problem with that is that this game is really not about solo play. You can solo in masterwork or even naked. Once you get in a group setting…where the real rewards are…then all that self might is irrelevant, as you will be getting 25 stacks of might along with the entire group from other professions. The same will be the case for vulnerability. This has invalidated nearly your entire spite specialization line. The rest of spite is about chill and ramp up scenarios. Ramp up is bad for anything but bosses as stuff is dead from other professions before you can actually ramp up. Chill is problematic because anything you want to chill (for the cold shoulder damage reduction) is going to be extremely resistant to it or completely unaffected by it (bosses and champs). Oh yeah…i’ll mention it again for emphasis…everything is self only benefit.

This thread is frustrating because the reaper design is counter intuitive to coordinated group play. If you are using your class mechanic, you are still not going to benefit from group heals. If you use your class mechanic, you are still not able to use your utilities…still have yet to figure out why we have to play half a profession when we use our class mechanic. We still don’t have any active defenses like block/invuln/evade/reflect, which are so much more efficient than extra hp…that we still struggle to recover due to extremely bad healing options. Hp sponge mechanics are just bad…this has been proven across so many games. Yeah, its great when you are solo face rolling stuff in the open world…its a pretty safe option then and super easy. When you want to do something that actually has a decent reward and requires some decent group synergy…that’s where it fails hard.

Reaper shroud in general is just kitten . The damage output of RS makes it something you don’t even want to use. This, then, invalidates a large portion of your traits if you never even want to use RS. We don’t bring anything that’s not already present in abundance to groups, so all that’s left is dps…which you certainly don’t get from RS. I hate the idea of applying a self nerf by activating my class mechanic. I see people in other threads keeping talking about “tankiness” and I get queasy every time I see that. One, I hope tanking is never a real thing in GW2…and two…RS is like wet toilet paper with its only mitigation being the extremely unreliable cold shoulder…tied to unreliable chill. I’d much rather some consistent damage reduction…preferably not bound and gagged to our class mechanic…which is why I think shroud has so many restrictions on it to begin with. Just strip the extra hp from it already and give us active defenses so we can lose all the restrictions (utilities, mobility, active defenses, damage, etc).

in Necromancer

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

Have been playing in PvP mostly and in Conquest Reaper is “ok”. Nothing special but you can deal massive blows in team fights like in Kyhlo mid. CttB->Executioner’s Strike and then just swirl everyone down. 1v1 or 1v2 on point is kinda sad tbh. But in Stronghold this is just sweet. Like this sweet.
http://i.imgur.com/MKpfvRU.png?1

Hey cool, that is the first Screenshot i am part of (Toxeena).

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

You are Person C.

I should make clear that I actually agree with you. I only quoted you because I was trying to further back up your point

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Freezaen.5124

Freezaen.5124

I wholeheartedly agree. I’d be 0K if they tweeked it some more, but I was very ahppy with the way it played this weekend. Anyone who is actually citching might wants to learn to swap weapons once in a while.

Furthermore, compared to Guardian and Warrior, our elite spec is looking wonderful.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

You are Person C.

I should make clear that I actually agree with you. I only quoted you because I was trying to further back up your point

That’s better… Cheers!

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

You people kill me. Try another class, then come back and tell me how awesome we are, totally delusional i swear. A Tempest can out damage you, a guardian can make you inept as far as survival? What the are you playing?

I played both a guardian and a reaper in verdant brink (vanilla guardian, none of that dragonhunter crap) I had an easier time surviving as a reaper.

I’ve been playing guardian for nearly 3 years. That reaper was my very first necro. So yeah, your mileage may vary.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Reaper is not designed to give support as much as it is to take it.

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

Reaper is not designed to give support as much as it is to take it.

And it does that kitten well. Buff your Reaper ally, and you buff an unholy meat-shield/blender hybrid

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

I suspect that Necro with Reaper spec is not the highest damage class. Nor does it have the most group support. It’s likely not even the most survivable. However it scores pretty high in both AE damage and survivability. And most importantly the darn spec is amazingly fun. Even if it does not make it in the meta (although it might if AE damage with reasonable survivability will be needed), I can see myself playing it a lot.

in Necromancer

Quarktastic.1027

I suspect that Necro with Reaper spec is not the highest damage class. Nor does it have the most group support. It’s likely not even the most survivable. However it scores pretty high in both AE damage and survivability. And most importantly the darn spec is amazingly fun. Even if it does not make it in the meta (although it might if AE damage with reasonable survivability will be needed), I can see myself playing it a lot.

Given that it’s brainlessly simple for a reaper to stack might/vulnerability, and excellent passive defenses, I can see a great deal of casual players picking it up. Ele might still be the top DPS/support/icebowbot, but when I want easymode without much effort, I’ll be playing the reaper.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Necromancer

Posted by: Azzer.8137

Azzer.8137

So, tell me then, for raids what is the use of shouts besided the elite one? if we’re fighting 1 enemy only they suck, if we’re fighting many wells are better for damage.

I’m talking about PvE here, not everything is about Player vs Player you know.

At the guy saying just take soldier runes and shouts, do you know how kitten that would be even as “support?” it would be the most idiotic way of doing support “oh hey sacrifice these fantastic runes so you can condi cleanse with shouts!” no that’s not good support at all.

Reaper lacks proper team support, there is only the Vampiric Aura we have for now (beaten by a non-traited Virtue of Resolve by the way)- so yeah, give Reapers team support or make chill work on defiance bars because for raids that’s hardcore content you really want a profession that can save you not do 200 extra damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Who cares about metas and be top on DPS meters when you can roflcopter through plants with a bigasfk scythe!

in Necromancer

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

I get the point that Necro/Reaper is all abut self buffing but is that so wrong? I mean why do we all have to be team buffers. Cant we be the enemy debuffing, sustain tanks instead? Does GW2 really have no place for tanks who, you know, actually go and tank the enemy?

Real questions btw since Im not exactly an experienced player.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Charblaze.6958

Charblaze.6958

Cant we be the enemy debuffing, sustain tanks instead?

Pretty much this. They should make debuffs as effective as boons without trivializing the content. The defiant design of 100% negating all debuffs is horrible and the major responsible of the Necromancer’s lack of party support.

Robert Gee said they are readying something for soft CC like chill on defiant foes. I hope it’s not just a plain breakbar reduction. Debuffs should work exactly like advertised, albeit in a weaker but still relevant fashion. If chill added even a small flat delay like 0.25-0.5s between one attack and next Reapers would be wanted in every PvE instance.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Cant we be the enemy debuffing, sustain tanks instead?

Pretty much this. They should make debuffs as effective as boons without trivializing the content. The defiant design of 100% negating all debuffs is horrible and the major responsible of the Necromancer’s lack of party support.

Robert Gee said they are readying something for soft CC like chill on defiant foes. I hope it’s not just a plain breakbar reduction. Debuffs should work exactly like advertised, albeit in a weaker but still relevant fashion. If chill added even a small flat delay like 0.25-0.5s between one attack and next Reapers would be wanted in every PvE instance.

But debuffs are powerful. 25 Vulnerability is (now) better than might + fury tbh and scales with the latter as well. Immobilizes can also be pretty powerful.

Not sure if chill increases CD for enemies too but well :P Blind is also awesome.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Charblaze.6958

Charblaze.6958

Vulnerability is the only debuff that always works in every situation and any party composition can reach the cap without even trying. Thanks to unshakable, which every champion or above mob has, blind is 10% as effective and weakness lasts 50% less time. Chill has no effect on most bosses except for a handful like the mossman. Most mobs don’t heal so poison isn’t useful either. Nor we see a lot mobs with buffs that can be stripped or corrupted. :-/

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

The withdrawl I feel now 3-4 days after BWE2 is a true testament to my feelings about Reaper, for a 100% Power Necro Reaper came and changed my Gw2 experience and now in second BWE I felt even the GS worked. I see GS takeing the spot as my main Necro weapon, cant wait for HoT to launch now, nad pre-BWE’s I was barely hanging on to the game so yea awesome is the key word here.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

But debuffs are powerful. 25 Vulnerability is (now) better than might + fury tbh and scales with the latter as well. Immobilizes can also be pretty powerful.

You need 3000 base power for 1 Vulnerability to be equal to 1 might, lower and might is better, higher vulnerability is better. So unless you stack a warrior or a full sigil of bloodlust and vulnerability is better then might, Fury not included. So it’s safe to say that Vulnerability is not better than might + fury.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

You need 3000 base power for 1 Vulnerability to be equal to 1 might, lower and might is better, higher vulnerability is better. So unless you stack a warrior or a full sigil of bloodlust and vulnerability is better then might, Fury not included. So it’s safe to say that Vulnerability is not better than might + fury.

It should probably be the other way around, given that might improves condition damage as well. Ah well, balance problems…

in Necromancer

Quarktastic.1027

Vulnerability is the only debuff that always works in every situation and any party composition can reach the cap without even trying. Thanks to unshakable, which every champion or above mob has, blind is 10% as effective and weakness lasts 50% less time. Chill has no effect on most bosses except for a handful like the mossman. Most mobs don’t heal so poison isn’t useful either. Nor we see a lot mobs with buffs that can be stripped or corrupted. :-/

I remember the searing effigy boss in CoF before they nerfed his regeneration. You basically had to keep him poisoned 100% of the time or he just wouldn’t die. I’d like to see at least a couple bosses like that in HoT.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

It should probably be the other way around, given that might improves condition damage as well. Ah well, balance problems…

Well, vulnerabity does now too :p. Makes focus an intersting sinister reaper offhand.

EverythingOP