Suggestion for Axe The hard way

in Necromancer

Posted by: Noll.6134

Noll.6134

A little suggestion conserning the Axe for Necromancer, the Idea is to make the Axe the Condi Weapon and the Scepter the Power Weapon. I Personaly think the Scepter to be a Power Weapon for Scholars Professions or at least for magical Conditions like Burn, Confusion and Torment and not for Bleeds, Bleeds are more from cuts of a Sharp Weapon like Sword, Greatsword, Dagger and Axe. Well I understand that Scepter auto is a curse and has the possibility to make the Opponent Bleed but I think the Axe has the better approach for Bleeds.

First of all I dont know how to balance or to calculate the damage for both Weapons thats why I leave the damage part open for your imagination. I dont create new skills I only switch the two Weapons and tweak the skills to compensate for the changes! Hope you like the idea!

First the Axe, like I said Cutting to Bleed your Target, well for Necro Axe its more like scratching with Claws like a Kitten : )

Axe:

Rending Claws:
Slash your foe twice with ghostly claws to Bleed and Poison Them.
Damage (2x): —-—-
1 Bleed (5s)
1 Poison (4s)
Range: 600
Radius: 130
Number of Targets: 3
Casttime: ¾ s

Make the auto-attack like the Trident auto-attack with cleave to compensate for the shorter Range.

Ghastly Claws:
Summon spectral claws to slash and Bleed your foe in a quick flurry of strikes, gaining life force per strike.
Damage (6x): —-—-
6 Bleed (3s)
Life Force: 1% per strike
Range: 600
Casttime: 1 ½ s
Cooldown: 8s

This is a good way to burst Condition and gain Life Force as for Condition-Builds lack of Life Force gain.

Unholy Feast:
This skill can stay as it is, only the Cooldown can be reduced to 12s.

Now for Scepter, its the Ranged Power Weapon we all wished for its more for Single-target with a little cleave I know we have the Staff but Staff is more utility Weapon.

Scepter:

Chain: Blood Curse
Damage your Foe.
Damage: —-—-
Range: 900
Casttime: ½ s
Chain: Flesh Curse
Damage your Foe
Chain: Rending Curse
Damage your Foes and make them Vulnerable.
2 Vulnerability (7s)
Radius: 130
Number of Targets: 3

The fist and second Chain are Singletarget, I have been thinking to make the whole Chain cleave but that would be to powerfull for a Ranged Power Weapon with a castsequence of 1,5 s.

Grasping Dead:
Summon skeletal hands to Immobile foes in the target area.
1 Immobile (1s)
1 Cripple (5s)
Radius: 240
Number of Targets: 5
(Ground-targeted)
Cooldown: 10s

The Immobile is inplace for the Bleeds and a better mean to stop your Opponent as for Necromancer it is frustrated to catch up to the Opponent when he is runin away without good mobility and it fits the Animation

Feast of Corruption:
Strike your target, dealing additional damage to Vulnerable Foe and gaining life force.
Damage on Vulnerable: 10%
Life Force: 10%
Cooldown: 10s

This should be a hard hitting Skill like Fire Grab from the Elementalist, first I had the idea to gain the additional damage 1% per stack of Vulnerable but that would be to OP when you have 25 stacks on the target.

Traits:

Unholy Fervor:
While wielding a Axe, your Condition Damage is increased. Conditions inflicted by Axe skills have increased durations.
Condition Damage: +150
Duration Increase: 100%

Move it to Curses as Major Grandmaster Trait. Its a powerfull Trait only switched it with Lingering Curse.

Lingering Curse:
Scepter skills Deal increased damage and has a chance on critical strike to gain Life Force.
Damage increase: 10%
Chance on Critical: 33%
Life Force: 1%

Move it to Spite as Major Master Trait. Merged it with the now deleted Trait “Reaper’s Precision”, the 20% recharge form Unholy Fervor is not that great for the Scepter as the skills only have 10s Cooldown, this is a better way to gain Life Force aside from dagger auto-spam and has good synergie with the Death Shroud Build as it can now played without Dagger.

Feel free to criticize, improve and discuss!

Ps.: Sorry for bad gramma, English is not my main language!

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Perhaps. Although Axe as it is, makes a nice synergy with Life Siphon traits which use Power and Healing stats, since it provides fast attacks with multiple hits and Retaliation scales on Power by default.

So leaving Unholy Feast as it is, is useless, since it’s designed to destroy boons and provide Retaliation, to punish attackers.

And well, Feast of Corruption, name sake pretty much goes with conditions, since GW2 doesn’t have hex spells, just conditions mostly and few negative skill effects.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

waving a magic wand at someone doesn’t exactly scream ‘power build’ to me…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Al Masone.1274

Al Masone.1274

I like the idea, but as FrostSpectre said, axe #2 and #3 are closely related to power, even your variation of them. You’d have to outright switch the 2 weapon sets. Also, i like the idea of having 1 short range weapon per type: dagger for power, axe for condi (in this case), and 2 long range, that provide more utility than damge: scepter for power, staff for condi. In addition, transforming the axe into an infected cleaver (necro goes where he pleases) could make space for more diverse curses that would be applied with the scepter. I give you some ideas, tell me if you like them

Axe – still 600 range
Could be a chain, first applies bleed, second applies bleed and poison, third applies bleed and vuln – 3stacks. Small radius (as you suggested)

1. Channeled 2-3 seconds. Transfer bleeding from you to the enemy each second (2 stacks per second). If you don’t have bleeding on yourself, apply 2 stacks of it each second. Gain life force for each stack of bleeding you apply either way. Also apply 1 stack of torment each second.
    same range as current skill, combo blast finisher, max 5 enemies struck. attacks x2
    For each foe you strike, swap one of their boons with one of your conditions (follows the boon into condi conversion scheme as a priority, otherwise just swaps the condis and boons present at the moment). After that, inflict cripple on them, and fear them if they still have more than 3 boons.

I don’t think it’s too op, and has a bit more interaction than the current axe. Vuln on axe #1 is useful, since it enhances condi dmg too.

Scepter
Single target, less damage than dagger (and is slower), but a bit more than the current axe
Curse your foe to make them vulnerable. Behaves differently depending on the amount of vuln the enemey has.
1-14 stacks, no additional effect
14-24 stacks, applies weakness too
25 stacks, gain also might
Same area as current scepter #2, attacks 6x (at least). Not channeled, instead works like a well. Combo field poison.
Skeleton arms erupt from the ground in the target area, striking foes multiple times and crippling them.
Same area as #2. combo finisher blast
Curse foes in the target area, applying weakness. Convert already pre-existing weakness on enemies into blind, and cripple into chill. Gain retaliation and life force for each enemy struck

Ok i’ve not put out CDs and casting times, but overall axe #1 and 2 should be kinda fast in execution, with #2 having a medium cd. #3 could have a long cd.
Scepter skills should instead be kinda slow, such that you won’t be able to use their full effect with the scepter alone; you’ll need traits, sigils/runes and other things that apply vuln or non damagin condis. They should also have fairly long CDs, given the scepter would still have 900 range, and the skills might have some fairly strong impact.

Vuln and cripple/chill may be redundant, but we have no mobility, and applying vuln is all we ever did

Again, I like the idea, and your thread gave me the chance to post some of my ideas as well.
Axe could very well be a condition based weapon, it’s just a matter of flavor. It can be a claver that, instead of striking the enemy with violence, cuts where hurts most, opening and infecting wounds while also sundering armors.
Scepter, on its part. Could be a power weapon that, instead of direct damage, would apply different non-damaging conditions on the enemys.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Noll.6134

Noll.6134

Perhaps. Although Axe as it is, makes a nice synergy with Life Siphon traits which use Power and Healing stats, since it provides fast attacks with multiple hits and Retaliation scales on Power by default.

So leaving Unholy Feast as it is, is useless, since it’s designed to destroy boons and provide Retaliation, to punish attackers.

And well, Feast of Corruption, name sake pretty much goes with conditions, since GW2 doesn’t have hex spells, just conditions mostly and few negative skill effects.

You are right but i wuold say 70-80% of the Necromancer take Dagger over Axe as it scales better with Power and Hitnumber are the same as Axe in the same amount time for Life Siphon only downside of Dagger is has not the best utility.
Sorry I didnt know Retaliation scales on something.
The Converting Boon fits pretty good the Condi Weapon and instead of the Retaliation we could take Resistance or Protection or Vigor but I think Resistance would be better for the Condi Build and has good synergie for the Trait Spiteful Spirit and Unholy Martyr.

Yes the names was something I didnt think of for I only thought it would be easy for the Dev’s too implement those changes.

I like the idea, but as FrostSpectre said, axe #2 and #3 are closely related to power, even your variation of them. You’d have to outright switch the 2 weapon sets. Also, i like the idea of having 1 short range weapon per type: dagger for power, axe for condi (in this case), and 2 long range, that provide more utility than damge: scepter for power, staff for condi. In addition, transforming the axe into an infected cleaver (necro goes where he pleases) could make space for more diverse curses that would be applied with the scepter. I give you some ideas, tell me if you like them

Axe – still 600 range
Could be a chain, first applies bleed, second applies bleed and poison, third applies bleed and vuln – 3stacks. Small radius (as you suggested)

1. Channeled 2-3 seconds. Transfer bleeding from you to the enemy each second (2 stacks per second). If you don’t have bleeding on yourself, apply 2 stacks of it each second. Gain life force for each stack of bleeding you apply either way. Also apply 1 stack of torment each second.
    same range as current skill, combo blast finisher, max 5 enemies struck. attacks x2
    For each foe you strike, swap one of their boons with one of your conditions (follows the boon into condi conversion scheme as a priority, otherwise just swaps the condis and boons present at the moment). After that, inflict cripple on them, and fear them if they still have more than 3 boons.

I don’t think it’s too op, and has a bit more interaction than the current axe. Vuln on axe #1 is useful, since it enhances condi dmg too.

Scepter
Single target, less damage than dagger (and is slower), but a bit more than the current axe
Curse your foe to make them vulnerable. Behaves differently depending on the amount of vuln the enemey has.
1-14 stacks, no additional effect
14-24 stacks, applies weakness too
25 stacks, gain also might
Same area as current scepter #2, attacks 6x (at least). Not channeled, instead works like a well. Combo field poison.
Skeleton arms erupt from the ground in the target area, striking foes multiple times and crippling them.
Same area as #2. combo finisher blast
Curse foes in the target area, applying weakness. Convert already pre-existing weakness on enemies into blind, and cripple into chill. Gain retaliation and life force for each enemy struck

Ok i’ve not put out CDs and casting times, but overall axe #1 and 2 should be kinda fast in execution, with #2 having a medium cd. #3 could have a long cd.
Scepter skills should instead be kinda slow, such that you won’t be able to use their full effect with the scepter alone; you’ll need traits, sigils/runes and other things that apply vuln or non damagin condis. They should also have fairly long CDs, given the scepter would still have 900 range, and the skills might have some fairly strong impact.

Vuln and cripple/chill may be redundant, but we have no mobility, and applying vuln is all we ever did

Again, I like the idea, and your thread gave me the chance to post some of my ideas as well.
Axe could very well be a condition based weapon, it’s just a matter of flavor. It can be a claver that, instead of striking the enemy with violence, cuts where hurts most, opening and infecting wounds while also sundering armors.
Scepter, on its part. Could be a power weapon that, instead of direct damage, would apply different non-damaging conditions on the enemys.

Yes I like your ideas especial for Scepter, my idea was only so it could be implementet easier the only thing I forgot to mention was the hidden thought that axe could work for hybrid builds too.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

waving a magic wand at someone doesn’t exactly scream ‘power build’ to me…

Guardian scepter is power.

For anyone against the idea of axe being a condition weapon, read this

Little known , I believe it was axe 1 which actually did used to inflict bleed. Way back in alpha or beta when they were trying to figure out what weapon should do what (and clearly never decided properly). The axe and the whole “claw/scratching” theme was originally meant as a condi weapon. Or a hybrid weapon, at the very least.

The bleed from axe was eventually put into barbed precision as our curses minor trait. Axe would work way better as a condi-burst weapon.

This suggestion is actually amazing because our condi auto attack would be superior to the current scepter, we could burst a stack of 8 bleeds in under 2s and we could AOE boon corrupt . The scepter is trash in comparison. There’s really no reason to complain if they got switched either… it’s just a name and a skin in they changed. The only real change is the animations and way the skills work, where axe is better suited for condition application.

Has anyone else noticed throughout the years that the way they originally intended to do everything, was originally the best way? Examples: Death shroud used to be downed state. Necromancer used to have perma stability in death shroud because they knew it needed it. Would it be overpowered today? Engineer has perma stability with flamethrower.

My favourite example… spectral armor used to have no cooldown to its effect and scaled to an infinite number of foes, like blocks or evades.. They nerfed it. kittening pathetic.

This would be a buff for both weapons. AOE immobilize? What is there to complain about? An auto attack on scepter that’s better than current axe 1 auto attack? Nice.

Yes, retaliation scales with power. But there’s no reason it couldn’t be changed to something else. Another boon or another condition, who really cares. It’s not like retaliation on the axe has ever been an amazing game changer. Make it inflict AOE slow instead of retaliation, or blind. Yep, both superior to retaliation.

Here’s a good example of how little they knew what to do with the necromancer during development. Feast of Corruption was once: “Remove boons from target foe. Deals additional damage for each boon or condition on target.”

“Send a flurry of ghastly claws at your target that strikes your target 8 times and puts a Bleed on it.”

Hmm, what do you know? Another original decision that was eventually changed throughout development because of stupidity.

Can you imagine how good of a spot the necromancer would be in today if they stuck with their original ideas? Makes me mad, honestly. Poor decisions made at every turn. Makes me want to create an MMO of my own just to copy all of their original design decisions and create the MMO that was supposed to be and kill the PvP in this game for good. /rant

(edited by Zefrost.3425)

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

reversing the weapons roles arbitrarily like that makes no sense.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

At least power/cele will go dagger/WH and staff condi is stuck with scepter which is a weak link no the best idea but I could see axe being a better condi weapon then scepter with adjustments.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

It’s not arbitrary since axe was originally meant to be a condition weapon. It’s discussion like this where players are total polar opposites in their beliefs that causes necromancer to be garbage forever. No one on this class unifies for anything. Not even our heal skill which was nerfed 3 times all at once. Some people still try to justify it to this day.

Look at elementalists when they unite: Heal signet healing buffed back to reasonable amount, ice bow 4 not nerfed, elemental attunement not put in a bad spot and instead made into a minor trait.

(edited by Zefrost.3425)

in Necromancer

striker.3704

At least power/cele will go dagger/WH and staff condi is stuck with scepter which is a weak link no the best idea but I could see axe being a better condi weapon then scepter with adjustments.

Just buff the scepter then instead of reversing the roles.

in Necromancer

Sagat.3285

Just buff the scepter then instead of reversing the roles.

When will that ever happen? I’m pretty sure they believe condi necro is in a good spot due to signets..as soon as condition foes dropped and the weak links started reappearing condi necro droped as well, look at dhuumfire on condi spec… 3 more years to go.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nyth.3492

Nyth.3492

“Send a flurry of ghastly claws at your target that strikes your target 8 times and puts a Bleed on it.”

Hmm, what do you know? Another original decision that was eventually changed throughout development because of stupidity.

I played the beta pretty extensively. And back then axe was quite strong, IMO not enough that it needed toning down, but it didn’t surprise me that ANet did.
I don’t think the problems started there though, axe was decent at the early stages iirc. The issue rather is that axe simply hasn’t been updated, whereas a lot of other weapons (mostly with other classes), have seen a lot of buffs and tweaks to make them fit better.

Personally, I don’t really care which weapon fulfills what role. The axe as a power based weapon kind of makes more sense to me, although I understand your angle of bleeds and sharp weapons.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

I’ve already made a suggestion for axe that would turn it into a hybrid weapon. As a Pure condi weapon it doesn’t really fit. As it is its sorta sitting in the middle of so many different play styles and doesn’t work for any of them very well. Its never been a very powerful weapon, by any stretch of the imagination.

How I’d change it is I’d first make the skill one into a chain skill. 1st damage valn, 2nd damage valn, 3rd damage and boon corruption. Second skill would damage at its 600 range but also damage up to 3 targets at melee range as well as become a whirl finisher. This makes it a very good hybrid weapon but still very functional as a power weapon if needed. Making it stronger the closer you get like reverse mesmer gs or ranger lb could give it a unique feel to it. Unlike Life blast which has always been just really really off.

in Necromancer

striker.3704

How I’d change it is I’d first make the skill one into a chain skill. 1st damage valn, 2nd damage valn, 3rd damage and boon corruption. Second skill would damage at its 600 range but also damage up to 3 targets at melee range as well as become a whirl finisher. This makes it a very good hybrid weapon but still very functional as a power weapon if needed. Making it stronger the closer you get like reverse mesmer gs or ranger lb could give it a unique feel to it. Unlike Life blast which has always been just really really off.

This guy gets it. Boon corruption on the axe auto makes more sense with how it currently functions.

The main reason I’m against axe being changed into a condition damage weapon, is that it’s already established as a de-buff mid-range power weapon. If it’s changed into a condition weapon, everyone who’s built them around the existing concept (or invested into a legendary because of it) will be royally kittened.

Instead, make the axe more rooted into it’s role, and make the scepter more efficient at it’s own. IE; have the 2 skill on scepter extend the duration on conditions already on the foe on top of it’s Life force generation.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Void Phoenix.9243

Void Phoenix.9243

It’s a fun Idea to have axe as the condi weapon. I don’t really have any thoughts about how to fix axe but I have some ideas about scepter.

One issue with necro is that it has little to no group utility. This is still true after blood line being reworked. Instead what if scepter becomes the “minion master” weapon. Instead of dumping condi’s it is casting curses. What i mean is what if it left marks on the target like mark of vampirism. Maybe an auto attack that gave attackers might. This would mean that minions get might as they attack. This could play well in groups at they would be able to maintain might stacks off of necro. Maybe the auto attack switches between buffs. First is might then protection then whatever. Other skills could serve similar purposes curses that allow attackers to apply conditions. This could create some fun group dynamics where people are saving rapid attacking abilities to trigger them at the same time that the necro dumps certain curses.

Rather than leaving marks it could also just be a static debuff with set times so that attackers have only a window rather than a limited number of hits.

It would benefit minions when you are alone but also serve a group role for dungeons and pvp. I think it also keeps the theme for necro.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Wait to see what Robert Gee does with his own rework ideas.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Lol I won’t let you tale my awesome sounding scepter from my condi build! Besides, that would really hurt condi dps.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Necromancer

Sagat.3285

Wait to see what Robert Gee does with his own rework ideas.

The trollest outcome would be scepter becoming power weapon and axe condition. I believe in “a” rework I worry about when I will see it.

The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: Carlos.7915

Carlos.7915

I’ve already made a suggestion for axe that would turn it into a hybrid weapon. As a Pure condi weapon it doesn’t really fit. As it is its sorta sitting in the middle of so many different play styles and doesn’t work for any of them very well. Its never been a very powerful weapon, by any stretch of the imagination.

Thats pretty much what ive been thinking would be a good role for axe in a good time. Keep the vuln on the two first hits and make a third hit which removes a boon on hit, change unholy fervor to: reduce recharge of axe skills, the third hit of rending claws now corrupts a boon instead of just removing it.

Also make unholy feast a blast finisher, i know we arent supose to have many of those, but i dont think having 1 reliable blast would be OP as axe itself is not a DPS focused weapon and would bring a new type of group support to necro as well as making people actually think of giving a try to spiteful spirit.

As for scepter i dont really have many ideas, but i would love it increasing the effect of incoming conditions to the target instead of just applying a lot of condis. Like for example making feast of corruption giving a debuff to the oponente that lasts for 5 seconds and make all condis applied to the target within that time to do increased damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I like Axe Main hand now. Just need Axe 3 to get a buff in effectiveness and maybe added a little group support to it along with current effect.

Now the off hands other than WH need buff.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

No, thank you.

Hybrid weapons SUCK in PvE. Uusually, hybrid weapons have low coefficients on power and mediocre condi application without excelling in either, benefitting far less from gear tailored to one damage source.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Hybrid would be horrible., at least for axe. Make staff more Hybrid, but Necro severely lacks a GOOD ranged power option, and you want to make axe hybrid so we won’t even HAVE a ranged power option anymore? No ty.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Hybrid would be horrible., at least for axe. Make staff more Hybrid, but Necro severely lacks a GOOD ranged power option, and you want to make axe hybrid so we won’t even HAVE a ranged power option anymore? No ty.

No, thank you.

Hybrid weapons SUCK in PvE. Uusually, hybrid weapons have low coefficients on power and mediocre condi application without excelling in either, benefitting far less from gear tailored to one damage source.

You know, You guys sure do love to jump to conclusions. The weapon would have hybrid potential. Much like the sword for guardian has hybrid potential. Note that the sword on the guardian is not a hybrid weapon. It has no damaging conditions on it. It just functions that way with traits.

The axe suggestion I’ve made does not design it with the explicit intention of being a hybrid weapon. Its a byproduct of what happens when you have a weapon that corrupts boons and has a high Hit per second rate. This does not make it a hybrid weapon it makes it a power weapon that can also be used for hybrid.

I honestly wish you guys would read, stop, think for a moment, think some more.. And when you’re done thinking, think again before you post to make absolutely sure you know what you’re talking about… I’m sorry for being so rude but I’m really sick and tired of people missing the point over and over again when the intent is crystal clear.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I vote the easy way: increase damage coefficient on all skills & blast on #3.

That said: Necomancer one handed weapons (all of them) nerf shroud damage, and thus really ought to be designed as utility support weapons or condition weapons.

If real (non easy) work goes into axe (changing animations and skill functionality for example), then I would prefer axe become a utility weapon. The boon corruption idea is good for balance because boon spam is out of control and needs a counter (I’ve previously said that I want a spammy boon corrupt on focus, but a boon corrupt on an axe auto chain might be even better for balance).

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

No, thank you.

You know, You guys sure do love to jump to conclusions. The weapon would have hybrid potential. Much like the sword for guardian has hybrid potential. Note that the sword on the guardian is not a hybrid weapon. It has no damaging conditions on it. It just functions that way with traits.

The axe suggestion I’ve made does not design it with the explicit intention of being a hybrid weapon. Its a byproduct of what happens when you have a weapon that corrupts boons and has a high Hit per second rate. This does not make it a hybrid weapon it makes it a power weapon that can also be used for hybrid.

I honestly wish you guys would read, stop, think for a moment, think some more.. And when you’re done thinking, think again before you post to make absolutely sure you know what you’re talking about… I’m sorry for being so rude but I’m really sick and tired of people missing the point over and over again when the intent is crystal clear.

The guardian mainhand sword is not used in PvE. For a reason.