6/0/2/6/0 - RTW Discussion

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

I tried a similiar build with 30 into skirmishing though for Moment of Clarity and the better damaging stats. I wonder how much dps I gain and how much I lose due to not having RtW.

It also gives reduced bow cooldowns and a nice vigor source.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

ah yes sigil of intelligence on the GS looks very good. missed that one.

i ran with keen edge but it essentially just gives you a little bit extra condi cleanse, which is not on demand. the damage from it is unnoticeable. at least with steady focus, if you do a good job dictating range, youre doing some extra dps.

If you’re able to stay out of range from condition dmg then might as well take more quickness?

conditions will always clip you. even when fighting a condi engie or necro, they will land some burns and bleeds from 900 occasionally. you want to be able to cleanse those and reset the fight. many specs can apply immobilize from a long distance, so it’s nice when QZ can cleanse that if LR is on CD.

Ok nvm. I see it now. I thought you were running zerker amulet instead of cavaliers. Its actually a very nice build :O You’ve got enough damage, toughness, health, condition clears, and 2 stun breaks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Take off the training wheels!. 30/30/10 my friend! I think power ranger has become quite viable with the update to the pet responsiveness, change to LR, and the new trait so our damage actually connects. These changes fixed a lot of core issues on the ranger. Granted, I would still like to see some great sword tweaks. As for the “OPness” I can see some people complaining about it but any good thief should take down a power ranger and the ranger is incredibly squishy having to opt out from taking signet of stone in favor of read the wind.

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

@ kiwi
I am using zerker ammy I don’t see the build working any other way.

@euratien
Ehh I don’t think sotf is training wheels. The extra vit gives you a bit of buffer against stray condis because u will get clipped by a doom or burning. Facing thieves also becomes less of a gamble. Thing is I don’t find I hit that much harder with 6 in skirm, but I will do more testing.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Eurantien, i tested 30.30.10 for a few hours and you gotta sell it to me man…i just dont gain enough from 30 in skirm, and lose so much sustain. MoC is nice, but i feel it needs a much larger bonus. pet crit bonus is decent, but not game changing. Tail Wind is sweet, but i dont need it with Pack Runes. already have vigor. rarely find decreased bow CD’s useful.

the main things id gain are the extra crit chance and 20% crit damage, which i could barely notice in practice.

30 in NM gives me: on-demand cleanses, 30% boon duration, extra vit for dat condi meta, protection, and 100 power.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

Eurantien, i tested 30.30.10 for a few hours and you gotta sell it to me man…i just dont gain enough from 30 in skirm, and lose so much sustain. MoC is nice, but i feel it needs a much larger bonus. pet crit bonus is decent, but not game changing. Tail Wind is sweet, but i dont need it with Pack Runes. already have vigor. rarely find decreased bow CD’s useful.

the main things id gain are the extra crit chance and 20% crit damage, which i could barely notice in practice.

30 in NM gives me: on-demand cleanses, 30% boon duration, extra vit for dat condi meta, protection, and 100 power.

Totally agree, NM is actually really good for DPS builds!

in Ranger

Posted by: Black Scoutsman.5830

Black Scoutsman.5830

This build is legit. Not only is it tPvP viable, but it’s tPvP effective and I would even say strong. I struggled with the notion at first because it’s amazing in team fights, but I had trouble with the all important 1v1’s. After spending a day or 2 playing it I’ve learned how to effectively use my survival skills in both scenarios, and I will just say that I have never felt more like a ranger playing this game.

Human Warrior, Ranger and dedicated Scout of Yaks bend
The Pinnacle of Resposibility [Mom]

in Ranger

Posted by: SlayerUK.5029

SlayerUK.5029

I concur, this build is really great. So fun to snipe people with.

On legacy of the foefire I switch piercing arrows for eagle eye for +300 range, it’s so good.

Also why are you not taking evasive purity?

(edited by SlayerUK.5029)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I concur, this build is really great. So fun to snipe people with.

On legacy of the foefire I switch piercing arrows for eagle eye for +300 range, it’s so good.

Also why are you not taking evasive purity?

It’s not needed, it’s nice, but not needed.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

SlayerUK.5029

It’s a must for me, helps vs D/P thieves and it’s nice to just get poison off for free.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

It’s a must for me, helps vs D/P thieves and it’s nice to just get poison off for free.

The main thing I like about it is the blind removal, omg is blind annoying

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

I very rarely have condis on me to be honest, biggest problem being nade engines in which case I just need to invis and reposition. Poison and blind is least of my concerns at long range. So far anyway.

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

(spvp). after about (edit) 12 hours of testing in mid-high level team arenas with and without friends or coordination, i have to say 30/0/10/30/0 is a “solid” build that makes me excited once again to play my ranger. it has potential as counter to other glass in organized team play. and i dont give ranger praise lightly. RTW allows us to bomb from significantly further than 1200 and every arrow connects. combined with GS i can honestly say that rangers can snipe better than GS mesmers. kiting is also a joy now with the buffed LR, but it needs to also cleanse chill. i feel LR should have a 15-20s cooldown (traited) to make kiting feel just right, and eliminate need for s-keying, which is usually a very embarrassing death. alternatively, give rangers normal move speed while s-keying?

survival of the fittest also brought QZ back for me. casting QZ makes a big difference for me now. with RTW arrows, i can outrange and put serious pressure not only on other glass, but also bunkers. im blowing people up with air + fire sigils. there is often an awkward silence and possibly a blank stare when someone eats about 4500 from one arrow followed by 2500, 2500, dead. again, i dont say this lightly. it’s simply what’s happening. GS 3>5>2 with quickness is a boss combo, especially if you do it out of stealth after Hunter’s Shot. i can fly across the arena and crush someone who’s low.

responsive pets are responsive. this means a little more burst and a little more control. wolf and raven for me, but you can also do hound, spider, and possibly a few others. 50-60% of pets remain too situational or just trash.

MT + Entangle will guarantee kills for any good team if timed well.

i feel ANet did a poor job with the new runes. most of them are still garbage, while others are too good (Strength for d/d eles, lol.) with this build i find myself choosing various power runes, Pack being my favourite for the extra precision. Scholar my second choice, albeit situational.

im also disappointed that weapons did not receive any love. SB is less than garbage for power builds because it truly hits like a wet noodle with zerker ammy. sword is underwhelming for power builds because #1 spam still takes too long and will get you killed (unlike GS 3, 5, 2). axes are quite bad. dagger is too situational for power builds.

anyway, thats my little review and im looking forward to taking this into wvw application.

Your build is gaining a reputation. He(BLU42) mentions a guy from Arkham(hard to make out)? But, looking at your guild tag I think he’s referring to you. Congrats on the build.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

(edited by ItIsFinished.9462)

in Ranger

Posted by: con.1207

con.1207

For WvW what armor and runes would you recommend? Been running bunker but want to switch it up

ty

in Ranger

Posted by: Kreen.3925

Kreen.3925

I would recommend trying sigil of intelligence on the greatsword. It works wonders with that weapon for finishing folks off since your chain is 3->5->2 – three guaranteed crit hits anyway and if I need to reset then I use 4 which does not need the bonus from the sigil.

Been running a longbow/gs build in wvw this weekend with RTW 30/30/10/0/0 and had alot of fun in the backline for a change. LB was air/fire like yours, gs was force/intelligence. Zerker weapons and trinkets, knights/zerker armor and traveller runes for mobility. I had not considered SotF. Going to try a 30/0/10/30/0 build with it tonight.

Thanks for the tips.

I fight for JQ.
Kreen – Warrior L80, Mono Lith – Guardian L80
Higgsbosun – Thief L80, Silvron – Ranger L80.

in Ranger

con.1207

I would recommend trying sigil of intelligence on the greatsword. It works wonders with that weapon for finishing folks off since your chain is 3->5->2 – three guaranteed crit hits anyway and if I need to reset then I use 4 which does not need the bonus from the sigil.

Been running a longbow/gs build in wvw this weekend with RTW 30/30/10/0/0 and had alot of fun in the backline for a change. LB was air/fire like yours, gs was force/intelligence. Zerker weapons and trinkets, knights/zerker armor and traveller runes for mobility. I had not considered SotF. Going to try a 30/0/10/30/0 build with it tonight.

Thanks for the tips.

If it’s not too much to ask could you please link the build primary looking for armor set up

in Ranger

Kreen.3925

Thanks for the tips.

If it’s not too much to ask could you please link the build primary looking for armor set up

I took the OP’s build and put in my armor/trinkets for wvw. I get about 2.5K armor with this. Was using this with my 30/30/10/0/0 build and now using the same gear with a the OP’s new build. 30 minutes playing so far in WvW and its solid SoTF is golden.

The back piece is the southsun piece and not optimal but I like the look

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMAQJATRjEq0yaJLesQ1agY9YPBCAtCcy9w/oCAFMpC-zECBkFA0HQZmKrZnCilhFRjVfET5aR1qYAAA-w

I fight for JQ.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Your build is gaining a reputation. He(BLU42) mentions a guy from Arkham(hard to make out)? But, looking at your guild tag I think he’s referring to you. Congrats on the build.

Thx but I think jcbroe ran something very similar if not identical since patch hit. Someone did whisper me about the build and we chatted guess it was blu I forget his character’s name.

@con
I’m looking forward to gearing this for wvw. I got decent stats with valk armor, zerker/valk trinkets, assassin weapons and precision runes. But I’m sure it can be minmaxed better. Gonna put out a guide soon and maybe we can discuss minmaxing there.

@ keen
That’s outdated I think…definitely sigil of intelligence on the gs as per someone’s suggestion, I love it.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Tried “ride the wind” a fair amount, but always come back to wanting that beast mastery trait with signet of stone. I do see the appeal however, especially with eagle eye, the hits at long range are very consistent which makes these traits made for eachother!!!!

Extra survivabily fits my playstyle better and being alive is the best increase to my dps.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Kreen.3925

Well been having a blast with this 30/0/10/30/0 build with my armor/trinkets setup in WvW. Played around with sigil of ice on greatsword with my intelligence one and it helps to get maul to stick.

Also found that soften the fall also procs SotF but usage of that is situational. Handy for jumping out of keep walls to disrupt rams though and the cleanse helps get back inside

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjEq0yaHLmsw1ag8gadAkArdrjw9C/FxdK/KLs9C-TlDFwAIOEAsUrQ++Db0gA4CCI4BAgUpnTlBoUVxxBCItugMaIGcEA0qEMAACwNvZ28mBczb+zb+zbWKA9UGB-w

I like predators instinct for backline fighting to disrupt the other teams blob and change between RoA and ET as needed.

Going to try an sigil of ice on a longbow later although the nuke potential of air and fire is rather good. Sigil of ice is quite underrated I think. A 3 second chill would be nice though, its minor/major/superior duration is 1/1/2 at present so a 1/2/3 would be nicer

I fight for JQ.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

To all hyped to bring LB/GS with this build to tPvP – Don’t.
There’s simply no place for something like that. You can have your range or snipe(lol?), but the game is around holding points which have small radius.

If I were to make some build with bow now, it’d be Shortbow+Sword/Axe MH and Dagger/Torch OH.

go something like 2/x/2/6/x and put remaining points somewhere, take standard Carrion amulet. Something like a variation of setup for spirit ranger, but more 1v1 oriented.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

I run this with traveler runes and s/d… so much fun, been favoring ranger over my engi as of late.

I like S/D over GS because I feel it is more versatile. I can dance around opponents who manage to get on top me while LB is on cd. Plus the poison is really nice.

Anyone else running drake/ wolf? Or for that matter, what pets are you guys favoring with this set up? I like raven/ wolf, hound/ wolf but felt I couldn’t keep them out of danger well enough in larger skirmishes. Haven’t tried out spiders yet.

I’m still up in the air about RaO and entangle, thoughts?

Slowly putting together a wvw set, the ferocity changes are making it a bit tricky; not to mention traveler runes are… expensive.

Even with the GM traits being so useful for this build I really like the pet changes. So much smoother. I can actually chain cc someone with wolf leap/ LB 4/ fear while mowing them into the ground. (love doing this combo to boon hate necros when they get to 60%)

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

(edited by Dolt.2731)

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

@rym
It’s viable roaming build, very high skill cap. You can spike, go far point, steal npcs, cc, pressure bunkers. Basically a thief with more mobility, less stealth and superior long range dps, probably best in the game now. Long range allows you to choose targets and easily disengage if needed, rarely dying. You also bring hard cc and the most aoe immobilize in the game.

My intent wasn’t to focus on condi builds in this thread. I’m also not arguing this is the best ranger build for everyone, so tone down the ego. For the record, I’ve crushed every regen condi or spirit ranger I’ve faced so far. They’re so easily kited.

@dolt
Reasons I use gs are mobility, block, stun and burst. Too many good things. S/d just doesn’t have the dps and mobility.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

@dolt
I use wolf/river drake with this build, drake for even more burst dmg on f2, also drake is quite tough.
I use rune of vampirism and steal health food, life steal provides great sustain and has good synergy with this build since you have high attack rate and multiple target hits (I trait for piercing arrow).
For elite, RaO is more offensive while entangle is more defensive. I use RaO because I play very aggressively with this build, I use LF to create distance and the 6th effect of vampirism rune is great for escape.
I use zerker weapon and armour, knight for trinkets.

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

So, i’ve tried both 30/30/10 and 30/0/10/30/0. I definitely noticed a difference in the amount of damage being lost due to less crit, not being able to proc air/fire sigils and the loss of moment of clarity. That being said, the extra condi removal (I run qz, LR, SoR) was very nice. The only time I really felt like I needed the extra condi removal was when fighting condi rangers. Necros I find I can cc enough to not be condi’d more than SoR can cleanse, and when fighting engis I found that they just put out so many condis so fast it is hard to cleanse through it all and in the end it didn’t matter what build I was running, they were just as difficult. But for rangers, where the main damage is from burning and bleeding and there aren’t many trash conditions to cover them up I found the extra condi clear was very welcome. I did feel surprisingly tanky against a thief but my personal preference would still be to the 30/30/10.

As for those talking about pros and cons. I agree with mistsim that this build is viable (not entirely) for tPvP and can compete for the roaming position. However, that being said, thieves are more mobile and have better escape. Once in a team setting power rangers crumple when targeted by more than 1 person. Having played 30/30/10 zerker to the top 50 of both NA and EU leaderboards I can say that these kind of builds are very viable (considering you play off the node) until you get near to the top of “competitive” play. At that point, most players will only play on node if they need to and line of sight really hurts power rangers. The only thing that will make it truly viable in my opinion is a buff to the defense of greatsword to be able to defend against more than 1 target (if you don’t use gs and use s/x then I think the dps drop is too great swapping to s/x and the build isn’t viable).

RtW is a great trait. I was highly skeptical but it really helps land the longbow dps that is just so easily strafed without this trait.

My 2 cents.

in Ranger

Kreen.3925

@dolt
for wvw backline I have been using murrelow and a drake.

RoA versus ET, as keenlam says it offence/defence. 29 secs of stability is quite handy if you want to go deep and ET is handy for locking down when on defence in WvW. I have been switching them often this weekend.

I fight for JQ.

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I’ve noticed that Keen Edge works with SotF. So if you are a power build with RtW(and not using sig mastery) you can trait this(T1 Marks) and get a free 2-condi cleanse + fury + cover condition(bleeding) every 30 seconds.

It’s like a slightly weaker version of Renewal Sig, but takes up no bar space and grants fury…which is great since almost every power ranger doesn’t use the skirmishing line.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

I switched to keen edge mostly for the fury. I’m gonna update the build now that gw2 skills is updated

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

@dolt

RoA versus ET, as keenlam says it offence/defence. 29 secs of stability is quite handy if you want to go deep and ET is handy for locking down when on defence in WvW. I have been switching them often this weekend.

I’d say Entangle is better for small man stuff, large groups tend to just kill the vines too quick. As a power ranger let’s face it, the immobilize is what is good about it, not really the bleeds. Muddy Terrain locks em for 3 secs, and is on a twenty second CD, and now procs SotF. Not too shabby.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Kreen.3925

@dolt

I’d say Entangle is better for small man stuff, large groups tend to just kill the vines too quick. As a power ranger let’s face it, the immobilize is what is good about it, not really the bleeds. Muddy Terrain locks em for 3 secs, and is on a twenty second CD, and now procs SotF. Not too shabby.

Yes agreed, been loving muddy terrain and its cd is nice and short. Great for slowing a train down.

I fight for JQ.

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

It’s a cute build and all…sad to see that every ranger and his mother is running this build. I never tire of destroying these rangers with my trapper tho

Any ranger running longbow or GS i see as a free kill.

(edited by Casey.9687)

in Ranger

con.1207

Awesome , used it in WvW . Took getting used to coming from bunker condi build.

This build is great for keep D and destroying in zergs. Players melt w muddy terrain and arrow aoe.

Gonna try min/max wish rune swapping was cheaper

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

It’s a cute build and all…sad to see that every ranger and his mother is running this build. I never tire of destroying these rangers with my trapper tho

Any ranger running longbow or GS i see as a free kill.

most rangers are probably running 30/30/10, which can be easily destroyed unless theyre exceptionally good. the only thing im not afraid of in tpvp is other rangers. trapper? really? id like to see you get within 1200 of me =)

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

It is a solid build for what it does…..very good damage from a distance…a long distance. Good for zerg surfing and picking people off. Also good for killing Thieves that pop on someone else.

When zerg surfing, you have the tools to get away when you rustle someones jimmies by sniping them…cause it hurts. Sometimes they will make a run at you. If you are alert, you will be able to get away, then come back for more. You really shouldn’t have much of a problem staying alive.

What it’s not good for is 1v1 ….(yea I know, there are some that have never lost a 1v1 with this build). A true 1v1 when roaming? Tough gig

This is in regards to WvW

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

updated OP to more accurately reflect my current build and experiences.

in Ranger

Posted by: Notchz.3740

Notchz.3740

Friggin’ love this post and build thank you for testing and sharing your experience with it. Keep us updated my friend!

in Ranger

Kreen.3925

It is a solid build for what it does…..very good damage from a distance…a long distance. Good for zerg surfing and picking people off. Also good for killing Thieves that pop on someone else.

When zerg surfing, you have the tools to get away when you rustle someones jimmies by sniping them…cause it hurts. Sometimes they will make a run at you. If you are alert, you will be able to get away, then come back for more. You really shouldn’t have much of a problem staying alive.

This is in regards to WvW

This exactly what I have been using my version of this for and its very solid. Plenty of dps aoe for backline zerg, enough soft cc to frustrate their train (cripple is not stopped by stability) and good single target dps for culling the weak. There is also enough “escape” and melee dps to escape or kill if focussed by their backline – thieves and such. I had a few instances in the last few days when attacked by thieves who were targetting our backliners – muddy terrain if available plus greatsword 3-5-2 dealt with them quite quickly. When the other team rout its also good for killing the runners.

It’s also excellent for clearing siege and wall defenders when attacking assets. Plenty of dps to kill siege and deep aoe to deal with stuff deployed at the rear of ramparts.

I also did some small team havoc with it last night as well for a bit and its great for camp flipping and doylak killing.

Had alot of fun playing this over the past few days and its been nice to dust down my ranger for WvW again.

I fight for JQ.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

What I’ve also seen that’s an interesting build (used by other rangers, haven’t had time to test it myself) is the 0/6/2/6/0, with axe/torch, sword/dagger, using SoTF and the rest in Nature magic toward spirits unbound; as well as a trapper build on skirmishing. As far as I could tell it works quite well for hard point control as long as you’re skilled.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

So, i’ve tried both 30/30/10 and 30/0/10/30/0. I definitely noticed a difference in the amount of damage being lost due to less crit, not being able to proc air/fire sigils and the loss of moment of clarity. That being said, the extra condi removal (I run qz, LR, SoR) was very nice. The only time I really felt like I needed the extra condi removal was when fighting condi rangers. Necros I find I can cc enough to not be condi’d more than SoR can cleanse, and when fighting engis I found that they just put out so many condis so fast it is hard to cleanse through it all and in the end it didn’t matter what build I was running, they were just as difficult. But for rangers, where the main damage is from burning and bleeding and there aren’t many trash conditions to cover them up I found the extra condi clear was very welcome. I did feel surprisingly tanky against a thief but my personal preference would still be to the 30/30/10.

As for those talking about pros and cons. I agree with mistsim that this build is viable (not entirely) for tPvP and can compete for the roaming position. However, that being said, thieves are more mobile and have better escape. Once in a team setting power rangers crumple when targeted by more than 1 person. Having played 30/30/10 zerker to the top 50 of both NA and EU leaderboards I can say that these kind of builds are very viable (considering you play off the node) until you get near to the top of “competitive” play. At that point, most players will only play on node if they need to and line of sight really hurts power rangers. The only thing that will make it truly viable in my opinion is a buff to the defense of greatsword to be able to defend against more than 1 target (if you don’t use gs and use s/x then I think the dps drop is too great swapping to s/x and the build isn’t viable).

RtW is a great trait. I was highly skeptical but it really helps land the longbow dps that is just so easily strafed without this trait.

My 2 cents.

Nice to hear your input. What about 0/30/5/30/0?

in Ranger

SlayerUK.5029

After some testing I’m running pretty much the same as you, but have not tried signet of the hunt, not sure I could give up muddy terrain.

Also using the wolf (always gotta be in my ranger builds) and the hound.

The drakes AoE looks like a nice idea, might have to test it, but I just really enjoy the CC and ranged immobilise that the hound brings.

Also I suggest trying Eagle Eye on legacy of the foefire only, since mid is so huge I don’t usually need to pierce and it’s fun watching people try to get out of range, only to fail.

Also have you got any tips for Battle of Khylo, I find this map to be where I am least effective.

Edit: I think I ’ll agree with you on the River Drake, lasts much longer and can still hit hard with tail swipe and the lightning bolts with quickness is beastly, just overall better for team fights.

(edited by SlayerUK.5029)

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

@ Dojo, I used to run 0/30/30/10/0 until I got comfortable not having empathic bond on my power build. This patch, 0/30/10/30/0 would probably be very similar in function. In my opinion, 30 in skirmishing is a better stat for damage than 30 in marskmanship is. However, the traits in marksmanship are just far better. At top play the long bow just isn’t viable without read the wind because players will just strafe your arrows (you can alternate spam left and right strafe to dodge 90% of the arrows). Then either trait pick up of eagle eye or piercing arrows are very helpful. But if you aren’t using a longbow then skirmishing is a better line to go into in my opinion because you don’t need those long bow buffs. In the end though I just don’t think you would have the traits to land your dps with 0/30/10/30/0 while using a long bow at top play. Below top play, with the right style of play I think all these power builds will be pretty viable until you face some settlers type condi class that can just eat and heal through your damage.

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

thanks jc, it gives me an idea where to start my gearing.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

No problem! Building hybrid and stacking crit damage now is much more difficult now that the ratios are all relatively the same. It means I had to end up shaving some toughness off of all my builds.

I’m sure it was most certainly intentional on ANet’s part, but every single one of my non-condition builds and characters needs some regearing now, which is both frustrating and expensive.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

To all hyped to bring LB/GS with this build to tPvP – Don’t.
There’s simply no place for something like that. You can have your range or snipe(lol?), but the game is around holding points which have small radius.

If I were to make some build with bow now, it’d be Shortbow+Sword/Axe MH and Dagger/Torch OH.

go something like 2/x/2/6/x and put remaining points somewhere, take standard Carrion amulet. Something like a variation of setup for spirit ranger, but more 1v1 oriented.

Had the same feeling trying out this sniper-build in hot-join.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

sorry to hear that, the build isnt for everyone. i was just on a team with another one of these. we had a good bunker and absolutely decimated everything.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Awesome build ^.^

in Ranger

Posted by: Valneer.3854

Valneer.3854

This build has been a ton of fun in tpvp, when you’re comfortable with positioning and your active defenses you can really steamroll single targets.

Glad we’re finally gaining diversified builds out of “hurr durr spirit 1 spam.”

BG
“I’m here to bearbow and chew bubblegum..and I’m all out of bearbow.”

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

you can really steamroll single targets.

you can nuke a point with qz + barrage + lightning breath, followed by tailswipe which hits for 2.4k base on a heavy. it’s insanity.

Glad we’re finally gaining diversified builds out of “hurr durr spirit 1 spam.”

yes =) it’s nice to have a roaming role. dont have to bunk home all the time.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Pretty good build, and it’s a welcome relief to mix things up between Spirits and traps.

I changed things a tiny bit(mostly pets), but I’ve had good luck with it lately(along with the other LB build posted by someone else last week – the one with ravens/quickening).

Seems like a LOT of Rangers are giving it a try, as I’ve seen numerous LB+GS users the past couple days. With smart play it can 1v1 and teamfight with the best of them(even occasional 1vX until support arrives if you kite/disengage well).

For those saying the build isn’t tPvP viable: perhaps you just don’t grasp proper play of it(not an insult, just saying it takes a LOT of knowledge of the game to play this type of build well). With proper positioning and a roaming mentality you can easily de-cap points, roam and 1v1, as well as teamfight and nuke. LB #4 a squishie into a corner and then spike…mmm delicious.

(edited by somsom.5201)