A player who runs thief sent me this message

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Any progress, OP? We exchanged messages, but nothing yet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jinks.2057

Jinks.2057

As a thief I find rangers generally a free kill in WvW.

That being said every so often you find that ranger who’s build actually gives him a 50/50 chance to win.

It then comes down to skill

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

Ironic as I had the opposite experience.

I was screwing around in WvW not a week ago and got into a very drawn our fight with a D/P Thief, we took turns putting a dent in one another and I finally caught him with a SB rear stun and swapped weapons and tracked him with a Quickened Rapid Fire (I’m gimpy LB/SB spec’d) finally dropping him while he was stealthed

A moment later I had a group invite from “Stormbluff Isle Invader” and he asked about my spec saying he had a level 80 Ranger and he could never of survived the fight we just had, he asked a few questions about spec/Runes and then we exchanged pleasantries and went on our way….

I have been Ripped by a couple of thieves but in general don’t find them all that difficult with my current setup….

But that being said, I do run 22-23.5K hits, 3K+ Armor, 2K+ Toughness so I don’t tend to get 2-3 shot much if ever by anyone…

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

It seems to be mostly glass-type Rangers who get ravaged by Thieves. Rangers who at least partially focus on vitality, toughness and/or healing power do a lot better, myself included.

in Ranger

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Thieves are used to dealing with DPS or trap rangers, who are easy prey. Then they meet a properly built beastmaster tank once in a while, and their illusions of grandeur crumble, while I stomp them effortlessly.

Tell the thief to come heart of the mists at desolation EU. I will duel him

You do understand sPvP does not equal WvW, right? Thieves are at their strongest in WvW, so I doubt any Thief would duel anyone in sPvP, where the ruleset is dumbed down, with a multitude of nerfs.

Thieves might be stronger in WvW than in sPvP, but so am I. All the benefits they get from food and pve gear I get as well.

On the other hand a claim that WvW is more complicated than tournament pvp is naive to say it nicely. It is the ruleset imposed upon tournaments that makes it so much more demanding and competitive. Everything you get is restricted: gear/time/players, and you simply have to do with what you get, you need SKILL. Any player who can consistently win tournaments will absolutely dominate any fight in WvW, while players from WvW don’t amount to much in tournaments at all (speaking from experience). And if you are thinking about bringing up strategy and teamwork, don’t even bother.

Not true brother. The damage is far less in sPvP to the point that if you can handle the full damage in WvW, fighting under the increased damage of siege, you’re going to find the lessened damage of sPvP quite weak. On top of that sPvP is more about controlling small areas, for points, rather than fighting it out to match skills against another group in a head to head battle.

At least in real competitive games like League of Legends, you have much, much better fights.

I will just have to disagree again with you mate :/. While it is true that damage is somewhat elevated in WvW compared to sPvP, there are several other things in your post that I cannot agree with. First of all, sPvP is no different in it’s methods than WvW is. Teamfights do happen every game and they are often the one thing, that decides which way the game goes. It’s just that there is no wall and gate in between the fighters. Every serious team I know is geared towards teamfights one way or another (trap rangers, carrion necros, shout guardians ect.). On the other hand, there are many underhanded methods utilized in WvW to accomplish the same thing as in sPvP: capture and defend a point. Mesmer portals, thief invisibility cap blocking, portal bombing, culling were just some of the things I experienced while I used to play WvW (I dunno if any of these already got fixed, if yea just scratch it). WvW is essentially just large-scale sPvP without the emphasis on individual contribution to the team. As a result of this, individual failure also tends to carry less significant consequences.

And even in LoL the point of the game is not to win fights or teamfights, but to destroy the nexus. Over my two year period of playing the game extensively, that has ended when GW2 came out, I have witnessed many strategies that employed the use of these. Namely Twisted Fate, Shaco, Pantheon backdoors, split pushing with Shen and some more that I don’t remember right now, all of which were more effective and reliable than winning fights.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

It seems to be mostly glass-type Rangers who get ravaged by Thieves. Rangers who at least partially focus on vitality, toughness and/or healing power do a lot better, myself included.

Agreed, I think the classes who glass cannon in WvWvW tend to be fodder for Thieves or any other high burst classes. I play by the adage “You can’t kill if your dead” and so far so good ; )

in Ranger

Posted by: cdave.7140

cdave.7140

well i run a regen bunker 0/0/30/10/30 axe/torch and sword/dagger with dwayna runes dont do much wvw but in spvp i never lost 1 v1 against a thief or any other class with this build, except for a few good mesmers but it comes really close and could of gone either way. although i have come across some really good thiefs that can fight forever just keep running away and coming back to try again usually this goes on untill one side gets backup or the thief moves on for an easier target

in Ranger

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

I play p/d bleed thief. I don’t ever remember ever losing a 1v1 with a ranger. The closest was when a ranger stacked cc with longbow and pet and tried to burst me but I do the usual Withdraw > Blinding Powder and avoid most of the burst.

in Ranger

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

What he said isn’t false. Lots of people on this forum say stuff such as “i destroy stealth thieves bla bla bla” but this is all lies or they’re killing a theif that is already being attacked by many other players. You need to be new to the game/new to a thief to lose against a ranger on one. Thief has counters to everything a ranger can do, ranger can’t even do anything to immobilize lol. There’s not point of even dualing a thief on a ranger, reroll to a mes or d/d ele and then see sup.

My main is a d/d thief, mesmer is probably the easiest class for me to kill, (after other thieves). D/D ele are also fairly simple to kill. Even the BEST mesmers are still the easiest kills especially now that they can’t insta-gib with shatters. Good rangers are a lot harder to kill, they can easily out run me. D/D ele can run, but not for long.

in Ranger

Posted by: skupuz.6940

skupuz.6940

What he said isn’t false. Lots of people on this forum say stuff such as “i destroy stealth thieves bla bla bla” but this is all lies or they’re killing a theif that is already being attacked by many other players. You need to be new to the game/new to a thief to lose against a ranger on one. Thief has counters to everything a ranger can do, ranger can’t even do anything to immobilize lol. There’s not point of even dualing a thief on a ranger, reroll to a mes or d/d ele and then see sup.

My main is a d/d thief, mesmer is probably the easiest class for me to kill, (after other thieves). D/D ele are also fairly simple to kill. Even the BEST mesmers are still the easiest kills especially now that they can’t insta-gib with shatters. Good rangers are a lot harder to kill, they can easily out run me. D/D ele can run, but not for long.

I had to reply to this comment. Please educate me how a ranger outrun a d/d ele…

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Just throw a Jaguar on him . Since it can hit him while in Stealth, he’ll be wondering WTF is happening.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

If you want to fight P/D thieves, simply use Superior Rune of Melandru + the – 40% Condition Duration Food.

This will drop Conditions by 65%, most P/D Thieves tend to stack Condition Duration for their bleeds, and I find that its really all their damage..So if you hit them with that, They tend to have trouble with with damage to finish you off.

At that point all it takes is for them to screw up at least once and you can kill them..however they could just simply run away from you and really nothing you can do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Phoenixfudge.5290

If you want to fight P/D thieves, simply use Superior Rune of Melandru + the – 40% Condition Duration Food.

This will drop Conditions by 65%, most P/D Thieves tend to stack Condition Duration for their bleeds, and I find that its really all their damage..So if you hit them with that, They tend to have trouble with with damage to finish you off.

At that point all it takes is for them to screw up at least once and you can kill them..however they could just simply run away from you and really nothing you can do.

-65% Condi duration won’t do much to counter most p/d. p/d bleed thief will stack Superior Runes of Afflicted, Krait and Centuar for a total of +45% bleed duration. They will also use Rare Veggie Pizzas which will further increase condi duration by 40%. Also, most of us will be using Superior Sigil of Agony +10% bleed duration.

A whopping total of +95% bleed duration.

Want another twist? I don’t even use the runes mentioned above (I use rune of the adventurer), nor foods often (cause im cheap) and I still see rangers as free kills.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

-65% Condi duration won’t do much to counter most p/d. p/d bleed thief will stack Superior Runes of Afflicted, Krait and Centuar for a total of +45% bleed duration. They will also use Rare Veggie Pizzas which will further increase condi duration by 40%. Also, most of us will be using Superior Sigil of Agony +10% bleed duration.

Want another twist? I don’t even use the runes mentioned above (I use rune of the adventurer), nor foods often (cause im cheap) and I still see rangers as free kills.

I’ve actually ran into some very long duration bleed builds that are actually countered by the setup I run.

What i’m thinking is happening is you have the 95% bleed duration Bleed, and then it applies my 65% Reduction..Instead of just canceling it out like Rare Veggie vs the Condition Reduction one.

So if you manage to get your bleed up to say, 8 Seconds

I’ll reduce its duration by 65%

Which will end up turning your 8 second bleed into I believe 3 seconds.

in Ranger

Phoenixfudge.5290

I’ve actually ran into some very long duration bleed builds that are actually countered by the setup I run.

What i’m thinking is happening is you have the 95% bleed duration Bleed, and then it applies my 65% Reduction..Instead of just canceling it out like Rare Veggie vs the Condition Reduction one.

Hm, that makes sense. I didn’t think about it that way. If this is the case, the Runes of Melandru and food you have would mitigate the damage quite a bit considering original bleed duration is 4 seconds. Not sure if it really is too effective though.

What type of build do you use? Most rangers I come across and kill in wvw are kitten glass cannon longbow/shortbow spam. The ones I’ve had problems with stacked heal and were tanky but I would usually eventually kill them anyways.

(edited by Phoenixfudge.5290)

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Hm, that makes sense. I didn’t think about it that way. If this is the case, the Runes of Melandru and food you have would mitigate the damage quite a bit considering original bleed duration is 4 seconds. Not sure if it really is too effective though.

What type of build do you use? Most rangers I come across and kill in wvw are kitten glass cannon longbow/shortbow spam. The ones I’ve had problems with stacked heal and were tanky but I would usually eventually kill them anyways.

healing/condition/toughness build.

I’m thinking that Condition Duration Reduction is more effective the more the person invests into Condition Duration.

I find that if I can keep the bleed stacks to around 3 stacks I can counter most of the damage of p/d Thieves with just my Health Regen.

Also remember I am Asura, so I have access to Pain Inverter.

in Ranger

Phoenixfudge.5290

healing/condition/toughness build.

I’m thinking that Condition Duration Reduction is more effective the more the person invests into Condition Duration.

I find that if I can keep the bleed stacks to around 3 stacks I can counter most of the damage of p/d Thieves with just my Health Regen.

Also remember I am Asura, so I have access to Pain Inverter.

Right, a regen build I’ve seen those in action and I even used it with my ranger in sPVP, so tanky.Yeah I would probably have a hard time killing you with p/d in wvw lol. Then again, most rangers don’t use this type of build which is good to know haha.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Or just wipe the bleeds with brown bear, signet of renewal, healing spring, or emphatic bond.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

Or just wipe the bleeds with brown bear, signet of renewal, healing spring, or emphatic bond.

The only proper condition removal there is Healing Spring. Empathic Bond and the Signet of Renewal’s active only get your pet killed, and the Brown Bear’s special ability removes only a single boon. It also does incredibly little damage, making it not worth it at all. On top of that, Signet of Renewal’s passive removes only one condition every ten seconds. I would be laughing if it weren’t so pathetic.

in Ranger

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

Pretty sure the OP’s quotation comes from a thread where a guardian with max armor posted his combat log showing he was 3-shotted for a total of 22k damage in 2 seconds.

Tell me again how easy thieves are to beat; tell me what you’re supposed to do against someone you can’t see with that kind of burst.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

I generally run Empathic Bond and sometimes Healing Spring (but that’s more for the regen)

EB will take care whatever condition duration does not… Problem is you can’t just have EB and nothing else, because last thing you want is 8 stacks of bleed to run a good 8 seconds before they go off.

SoR is pretty awful, and it wastes a utility slot, I mean you can use it if you really don’t wanna use Lightning Reflex and don’t have EB but that’d be kind of bad even still.

Bears, I simply won’t use period…..In fact I can usually judge how easily i’m going to crush a ranger in PvP based on his pet.

if I see you running around in PvP with a Bear pet it tells me you don’t know how to manage your pet properly and you’re probably a Glass Cannon.

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

What does running a bear in PvP have to do with one’s pet managing skills and one’s build?

At most it means that either the guy just loves bears, or that he doesn’t know or care that it does such little damage.

Also, that brown bear’s face gets me every time.

Attachments: