A possibility to play Ranger without pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

@Loki the ranger didn’t need buffs to the bow, we were already fine and very much used bow wise, not to mention Escape is still stupid broken in PvE that you could run a Melee build as a ranger primary for almost no drawback cause they can’t touch you, they were just making beast master go from “those crappy skills no one touched when they were serious cause they sucked” to “those skills that are actually pretty good in the right builds” beast masters had their place in PvE post patch, they didn’t take over, and they weren’t as demanded as splinter barrage, but they were there and they were useful.

The same should go for Gw2, being petless should be an OPTION it shouldn’t be the end all be all (and it absolutely won’t, the pet mechanic isn’t BAD in GW2, just unresponsive, which is being fixed, today.), but it should be an option, and imo should complement using a pet and should be more of a “dance” between having your pet out and not having it, obviously being able to trait into using one more than the other, but always using both if you want to be the best you can. (Like a Mesmer, no matter what build, will have to use their shatters and phantasms properly if they want to be the most effective).

@Obsidian if you want big numbers you play a warrior, their entire class is the “we get big numbers!” Thing, rangers are the constant drumming of medium sized numbers that’ll never get quite as big as warriors but will add up to around the same.

Power rangers get big numbers…2.5k auto from lb along with upwards of 7k mauls. Very good burst and very good mobility. Fixing pet responsiveness is going to be huge as well as 2 sigils on lb/gs. Problem, for tpvp, is still thieves.

Thieves aren’t a problem if you know they’re there, if you dodge their initial burst you’ve pretty much won.

And 2.5k isn’t a “big number” +9k is a big number and only warrior and thief really get that, not saying our damage isn’t ridiculous, my rapid fire can easily drop enemy glass builds , not to mention my autos hit really hard and are AUTOs, we are far from weak, people just see a not massive number and think “they clearly do less damage” despite the fact our damage adds up to theirs, if not surpasses theirs, very easily.

Best description of a zerker ranger is an ADC from LoL or other Mobas, we wreck face from ranged, and have some tricks to get away and live, but in team fights we need our team to help keep us safe so we can destroy the enemy team with minimal effort.

2.5k, 1500 units, and on auto attack is huge. Thieves are and will continue to be a problem for power rangers in tpvp. Rangers have very good mobility, but they still can’t compete with thieves.

What are you doing trying to outrun them? That thief NEEDS the fight to end within the first 3 seconds or he’s kittened, if you can live that long you have it in the bag, time your dodges and evades, use LR as an evade + gap opener and not just a Stun breaker and you’ll dominate thieves.

Not to mention if you swap to S/D and say “kitten this we’re fighting it out now” that thief will kittening melt and you’ll take almost no damage due to the evades.

Thieves are my mortal enemy, and are my favorite enemy to fight, I know all their tricks and hunt them down like animals, and I can say 100% the longer a ranger stays up in the fight vs the thief the more and more likely that thief will lose, especially if you throw that thief on their back foot and make them play defensive. That’s when you’ve won.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

If someone wants to have big numbers with a bow, wtf would you have play a Warrior for that? It makes no sense.

But it makes perfect sense, because they’ve made it clear since it was announced as a class that the warrior is the class that is designed for “Use weapon, recieve big damage numbers” class.

I don’t remember that at all.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Obsidian.1328

@Obsidian if you want big numbers you play a warrior, their entire class is the “we get big numbers!” Thing, rangers are the constant drumming of medium sized numbers that’ll never get quite as big as warriors but will add up to around the same.

It’s true Ranger’s are more DoT oriented. This is probably why they do so well in sPvP where there are only 1-2 enemies you have to worry about at any one time. Problem is, in WvW spike damage > everything else. Condi’s(especially poison and CC’s) are still great to use there because they mitigate surviving spikes at all. But it’s still way better to apply large damage numbers in a small window than anything else.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

It’s true Ranger’s are more DoT oriented. This is probably why they do so well in sPvP where there are only 1-2 enemies you have to worry about at any one time. Problem is, in WvW spike damage > everything else. Condi’s(especially poison and CC’s) are still great to use there because they mitigate surviving spikes at all. But it’s still way better to apply large damage numbers in a small window than anything else.

In WvW we fill the role we did waaaaay back in GW1 GvG (REAL GvG), we apply CC and pressure to targets via easily spreading conditions, and can interrupt enemies from range (KBS and Concussion Shot and path of scars work great for this) to ruin their chances of survival.

We aren’t the ones usually getting the kills and putting people down, but we sure as hell aid in the cause, and there’s also a few builds (like in GW1) that can just destroy aka “snipe” a single target from range, and unlike other profs we can do so fairly effortly and without burning CDs.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

@Loki the ranger didn’t need buffs to the bow, we were already fine and very much used bow wise, not to mention Escape is still stupid broken in PvE that you could run a Melee build as a ranger primary for almost no drawback cause they can’t touch you, they were just making beast master go from “those crappy skills no one touched when they were serious cause they sucked” to “those skills that are actually pretty good in the right builds” beast masters had their place in PvE post patch, they didn’t take over, and they weren’t as demanded as splinter barrage, but they were there and they were useful.

The same should go for Gw2, being petless should be an OPTION it shouldn’t be the end all be all (and it absolutely won’t, the pet mechanic isn’t BAD in GW2, just unresponsive, which is being fixed, today.), but it should be an option, and imo should complement using a pet and should be more of a “dance” between having your pet out and not having it, obviously being able to trait into using one more than the other, but always using both if you want to be the best you can. (Like a Mesmer, no matter what build, will have to use their shatters and phantasms properly if they want to be the most effective).

Power rangers get big numbers…2.5k auto from lb along with upwards of 7k mauls. Very good burst and very good mobility. Fixing pet responsiveness is going to be huge as well as 2 sigils on lb/gs. Problem, for tpvp, is still thieves.

Thieves aren’t a problem if you know they’re there, if you dodge their initial burst you’ve pretty much won.

And 2.5k isn’t a “big number” +9k is a big number and only warrior and thief really get that, not saying our damage isn’t ridiculous, my rapid fire can easily drop enemy glass builds , not to mention my autos hit really hard and are AUTOs, we are far from weak, people just see a not massive number and think “they clearly do less damage” despite the fact our damage adds up to theirs, if not surpasses theirs, very easily.

Best description of a zerker ranger is an ADC from LoL or other Mobas, we wreck face from ranged, and have some tricks to get away and live, but in team fights we need our team to help keep us safe so we can destroy the enemy team with minimal effort.

2.5k, 1500 units, and on auto attack is huge. Thieves are and will continue to be a problem for power rangers in tpvp. Rangers have very good mobility, but they still can’t compete with thieves.

What are you doing trying to outrun them? That thief NEEDS the fight to end within the first 3 seconds or he’s kittened, if you can live that long you have it in the bag, time your dodges and evades, use LR as an evade + gap opener and not just a Stun breaker and you’ll dominate thieves.

Not to mention if you swap to S/D and say “kitten this we’re fighting it out now” that thief will kittening melt and you’ll take almost no damage due to the evades.

Thieves are my mortal enemy, and are my favorite enemy to fight, I know all their tricks and hunt them down like animals, and I can say 100% the longer a ranger stays up in the fight vs the thief the more and more likely that thief will lose, especially if you throw that thief on their back foot and make them play defensive. That’s when you’ve won.

Not sure what you’re talking about…but you compete with thieves (as a power ranger) for their role on a team. Thieves mobility is exceedingly higher than that of a ranger. A rangers role may differentiate because of their zoning abilities with LB. You can cover so much ground at 1500 units to force cool down usage before someone enters a team fight.

in Ranger

Obsidian.1328

In WvW we fill the role we did waaaaay back in GW1 GvG (REAL GvG), we apply CC and pressure to targets via easily spreading conditions, and can interrupt enemies from range (KBS and Concussion Shot and path of scars work great for this) to ruin their chances of survival.

We aren’t the ones usually getting the kills and putting people down, but we sure as hell aid in the cause, and there’s also a few builds (like in GW1) that can just destroy aka “snipe” a single target from range, and unlike other profs we can do so fairly effortly and without burning CDs.

Hmm, that really hasn’t been my experience at all. Although admittedly I haven’t tried condi ranger for W3 yet, I like the GS mobility and utility too much. KB and Path of Scars, while rupts, are push/pulls, they don’t actually incapacitate you longer than a half second. I mean, you can pop right back up after; unlike a true KD, Fear, or solid stun which requires a stun break to avoid 2-3 seconds on the ground or frozen. Conc shot does, but it is also positional, like the GS stun(admittedly the bow shot is better). Otherwise, it’s a mere 1 sec daze. A thief has the same issue, but has a waaaay easier time with positioning because of stealth. So, yes, they do rupt. But they don’t incapacitate to a reliable extent.

In GW1, you could apply condi’s while still being able to do solid dmg, even burst damage. I don’t feel like I fill the same role in GW2. And a lot of that has to do with the pet, and how so many of our skills and traits are tied up with them. You have to admit pets are pretty useless in W3.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Obsidian.1328

Hmm, that really hasn’t been my experience at all. Although admittedly I haven’t tried condi ranger for W3 yet, I like the GS mobility and utility too much. KB and Path of Scars, while rupts, are push/pulls, they don’t actually incapacitate you longer than a half second. I mean, you can pop right back up after, unlike a true KD, Fear, or solid stun which requires a stun break to avoid 2-3 seconds on the ground. Conc shot does, but it is also positional, like the GS stun(admittedly the bow shot is better). Otherwise, it’s a mere 1 sec daze. A thief has the same issue, but has a waaaay easier time with positioning because of stealth. So, yes, they do rupt. But they don’t incapacitate to a reliable extent. Not to mention rupting isn’t nearly as bad a thing to do in GW2 as GW1. Unless, of course, you are chain rupting. In that case you might as well go grab another beer from the fridge cuz you’re not surviving lol.

In GW1, you could apply condi’s while still being able to do solid dmg, even burst damage. I don’t feel like I fill the same role in GW2. And a lot of that has to do with the pet, and how so many of our skills and traits are tied up with them. You have to admit pets are pretty useless in W3.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

I would also love to see a Ranger without pets.