Aspects - Bear, Wolf, Eagle

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

So, a while back someone datamined This Image as the background image for the Druid specialization.

With the new information that Druids will be getting aspects, I figure it’s time to speculate; these three animals are the aspects we can swap between. We need look no further than Ranger pets to see how they’d work, too.

1. Bears are focused on naught but taking damage really really well. An aspect that adds protection or otherwise reduces incoming damage?
  2. Wolves are extremely focused on CC effects. Perhaps it adds a chance of knockdown to our attacks, or makes it so that when we use a control skill it strips two stacks of defiance/stability/a lot of the defiance bar. Fear the PBS Ranger.
  3. Eagles and other birds are focused on sheer DPS, mainly with a specialization on burst. A flat Damage modifier would help give Druids a place in the meta for basically anything.

There’s a couple ways I can see this going. The first is that Druids gain a new F5 skill, and what it does is it cycles through the three aspects, adding their abilities to you in turn. Second choice is that we get a selection of aspects; the current ones I’m certain of fall into the pet families, after all, so who’s to say we wouldn’t get an aspect for every one? in that case we’d just swap between two that we picked out of the bunch.

The second way would be easily explained by getting rid of our second pet; instead of two, we get one that’s healed with F4 and the second slot is then two aspects that we can swap between at will, much like how a Revenant can swap between legends.

Before anybody says “oh, we get rid of pets” I’d like to point out that that obviates literally an entire trait line in Beastmastery, and further many of us are Rangers because we want to be pet masters, making this kind of change very unlikely. Anet devs have also said in the past that Rangers will never drop the pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I have a feeling that we will be getting some kind of series of buffs/modifiers that we can swap through in exchange for pet damage or capability. Losing the function of the pet skills aside from their autos for example.

I would find it hard to believe that they would give us, say, an eagle aspect that was a direct dps increase on top of what we have now.

It sounds like pure powercreep rather than the horizontal progression the system is supposed to be about.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Harnel.6810

I get that, yeah, but keep in mind if the aspects do replace our second pet, we’re looking at having given up something as well. Namely, an added level of versatility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

If anet Replace the second pet im Protesting against it , we have a few good traits that work with pet swaps and with the amount of damage , i can not see how a Druid’s pet would Survive without a swap option.

if they do , they will likely Revert it anyway because thats halfing our class mechanic.

since all classes are getting a power creep , its not a power creep Supposing that things are Balanced evenly after the feature release.

its only realy power creep if one class has a distinct power increase , followed by other one without anything taken away for compensation, in this case its a Trait line.

so yes in a bigger picture horizontal progression is more likely but if they don’t Give Druid enough and the other classes are ahead We’d be looking at more Buffs next balance patch.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Hi @Harnel.6810 I c you predidcted the aspect mechanic for druild like 1 mounth ago.
I also found a guy talking about that like one year ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-Attunements-err-Aspects/first#post3700119

He says this idea came up in a CDI discussion, were you part of this discussion?

in Ranger

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Indeed it did come up during the CDI, multiple times.

Hopefully, they’ll allow us to dump the pet altogether for the aspects or… I’m really hoping, against my better judgement, there’s a Grandmaster trait that allows you to give up the pet in return for DPS return to the Ranger (and maybe another buff of some kind but I’d really just be happy @ not having the pet) so I can finally go petless and just use the Aspects. And, if they went this way, people who want pets could still have them, I just have the option to get out of them! EVERYBODY WINS!

And yes, anything is possible at this point with how little we know about the Druid e-spec.

Oh, OP, a straight DPS increase via 1 aspect won’t be putting Ranger into the PVE Meta. There’s a reason Staff Ele is in the PVE Meta and DPS is only part of it.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

(edited by TheFantasticGman.9451)

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Considering the main topic on this seems to have been removed without notice, it might not be true that Rangers get Aspects or Glyphs.

If we do, consider that they could also be the name of the staff skills like Necromancer has Marks.

in Ranger

Harnel.6810

He says this idea came up in a CDI discussion, were you part of this discussion?

I was not, no. this isn’t exactly an exclusive idea, though. Besides, this thread is based off datamining, rather than my own ideas or the CDI

Oh, OP, a straight DPS increase via 1 aspect won’t be putting Ranger into the PVE Meta. There’s a reason Staff Ele is in the PVE Meta and DPS is only part of it.

I’m quite aware, otherwise lich form necromancers would be in higher demand. There’s a lot else to the idea though, and I would appreciate it if you didn’t ignoring the obvious other parts of the subject. I’m addressing a small part and presenting ideas for that part, not covering every skill possible like Wooden Potatoes might.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

If it were me doing this, this is how I’d approach it…

The Druid retains use of their pet just like normal for the Ranger with one addition… F5.

You press F5 and your pet controls are removed and replaced with effectively the Elementalist’s attunement and the additional F5 to switch back to your pet.

Since we have no idea what aspects ANet will choose, I’m just going to stick with the Norn aspects and choose Bear, Bird, Cat, and Dog. It doesn’t matter what weapon you had equipped, each ‘attunement’ would have the same 5 skills.

Each attunement has 5 skills to choose from designed around the nature of each individual animal. Cats would be like fire with more DPS oriented skills. Bird would be like air with more speed and bursty skills. Bear would be like Earth with more tanky skills. And dog would be like Water with more utility minded skills.

On top of this the Druid would have a staff.

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Considering the main topic on this seems to have been removed without notice, it might not be true that Rangers get Aspects or Glyphs.

If we do, consider that they could also be the name of the staff skills like Necromancer has Marks.

Hi, it’s most likely not weapon skills, we know glyphs are eles utility skills and their mechanic is based on attunement. If we’r getting glyphs, getting an attunement like mechanic is very reasonble(aspect).

WP talked about this couple of weeks ago. He talked about glyhps icons that were data-mined.
http://imgur.com/a/TzR20
All theorised its got somthing to do with eles. Well, after tempest got released we know its not:) I c 6 types of glyphs (3 from each type) so 3 aspcets, not sure about colors. can be both animals aspects(Like the topic that been discussed on CDI, thats why i asked about it and the artwork of bear/wolf/bird) or Zephyrite aspect(also 3 and goes well with the lore and story of glint).

in Ranger

TheFantasticGman.9451

I’m quite aware, otherwise lich form necromancers would be in higher demand. There’s a lot else to the idea though, and I would appreciate it if you didn’t ignoring the obvious other parts of the subject. I’m addressing a small part and presenting ideas for that part, not covering every skill possible like Wooden Potatoes might.

Uh, you do realize you brought up the Meta, right? So, you opened the gate on that being commented on… you just didn’t mention which game mode Meta you were talking about. Had you said PVP Meta I wouldn’t have anything to say beyond I hope they don’t fark it up for PVE. And because they balance around 5v5 capture point PVP, there’s not a high chance of Ranger becoming PVE Meta… I also don’t watch Streamers or the likes of Wooden Potatoes so.. that point was lost on me. In bringing up the Meta like you did I’m well within my way of ignoring whatever I want or including whatever I want… especially since you didn’t specify which Meta you were talking about. So, as far as PVE goes, what you propose/suspect/guess for all the Aspects will not move the Ranger towards PVE Meta. Or did you mean PVE, PVP, and WVW when you said the Metas for basically everything?

in Ranger

Holland.9351

I don’t know how I feel about Aspects changing the class mechanic. I don’t see much good coming from it since about 1/3 of our traits are pet traits or depend on F2 or F4.

For example, just look at Fortifying Bond, what’s going to happen with that for Druid without a pet?

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I don’t know how I feel about Aspects changing the class mechanic. I don’t see much good coming from it since about 1/3 of our traits are pet traits or depend on F2 or F4.

For example, just look at Fortifying Bond, what’s going to happen with that for Druid without a pet?

See Atherakhia’s post above. I think that is quite likely, you just lose access to pet controls when you press F5 and instead you get the aspect swapping mechanic.

in Ranger

TheFantasticGman.9451

Honestly, I ran my Ranger will traits that buffed the Ranger. If it buffed the pet only I didn’t choose it. Honestly, the trait changes back in June destroyed the build I had and now with a lot of our damage modifiers gone, it sucks. Nature Magic and Wilderness Survival don’t do much for me anymore. It was part of the reason I dropped the Ranger too.

Pretty much if the pet stays and there’s no damage modifiers or boosts DPS then I’ll be waiting for the next Elite Spec before I come back to the Ranger I guess.

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Based on the other elite specialization, they’r realy trying not to take anything from the original mechanic but rather to build on it. I dont think F4 pet swap will go away. I dont think the new F5 will make pet dissapear.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

See Atherakhia’s post above. I think that is quite likely, you just lose access to pet controls when you press F5 and instead you get the aspect swapping mechanic.

That makes like 20 traits and 5 slot skills worthless. That’s why I don’t see it happening.

in Ranger

TheFantasticGman.9451

Based on the other elite specialization, they’r realy trying not to take anything from the original mechanic but rather to build on it. I dont think F4 pet swap will go away. I dont think the new F5 will make pet dissapear.

Yup, nevermind then, my Ranger will stay on the shelf if there’s still no option out of the pet.

Maybe with the next Elite Spec they’ll fix it proper and I can start using it again.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

That makes like 20 traits and 5 slot skills worthless. That’s why I don’t see it happening.

A lot of those traits could simply move their effect to the Druid when in aspect form. Some of the ones that don’t would be fixed by simply adding an iCD (preferably only when in aspect form). The few that are left could simply not fully affect the Druid.

For example, unyielding blast makes death shroud #1 pierce, but reaper shroud #1 doesn’t need the piercing so only gains the vuln.

And this is assuming they don’t redesign the whole thing

But it’s all idle speculation and wishlisting while we wait for official details to be released.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

This. Also a bunch of secondary effects on our weapons, like Winter’s bite, pounce, Hilt bash, Hunter’s Shot, Crippling shot and Feeding frenzy.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

If it was aspects, It will be wanna be WoW hunter…

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

This. Also a bunch of secondary effects on our weapons, like Winter’s bite, pounce, Hilt bash, Hunter’s Shot, Crippling shot and Feeding frenzy.

I didn’t mean that the pet would disappear altogether, just that you would lose the ability to control it, in exchange for the aspects. As a possibility.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Well, I’m starting to think the mechanic is going to a little bit more interesting than what I initially thought.

The pet stays though, in some way or another. Stop fooling yourself with Anet bothering to alter every single trait and skill that has a secondary pet effect or is directly tied to the pet mechanic.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

I didn’t mean that the pet would disappear altogether, just that you would lose the ability to control it, in exchange for the aspects. As a possibility.

It could happen if they gave control of F2 to the pet.

F1 = aspect 1
F2 = aspect 2
F3 = aspect 3
F4 = pet swap
F5 = pet toggle passive/agressive mode

I’m pretty sure pet swap would have to stay because it would be too much work for them to change the pet mechanic to a single pet. Considering balancing, pet reviving and the pet menu.
Giving the AI control of F2 should be easier.

This way no traits or skills would have to be updated.

in Ranger

Posted by: Redemer.2601

Redemer.2601

except for how hilariously stupid the AI is I cant even count how mant times bird has used swiftness instead of killing my target and so on Id rather have f1-6 or even 7
so I can have more control over pet rather then bear useing Defy Pain when being touched by the wind
If I could use it myself I could useing along with protect me or something like that

in Ranger

Holland.9351

except for how hilariously stupid the AI is I cant even count how mant times bird has used swiftness instead of killing my target and so on Id rather have f1-6 or even 7
so I can have more control over pet rather then bear useing Defy Pain when being touched by the wind
If I could use it myself I could useing along with protect me or something like that

Of couse, but we’re trying to fit aspects into the class mechanic without going too overboard. Mesmer got an F5, so maybe Ranger as well. I wouldn’t bet on an F6 though.

Closer to your way could be:
F1 = pet skill 1
F2 = pet special
F3 = pet skill 3
F4 = pet swap

Not sure how Aspects fit into it. Could still be attached to F1,F2 and F3, but it would have double functionality for doing different things.

in Ranger

TheFantasticGman.9451

Actually, passive/agressive is already in game. By default it’s not keybound. You have to go into the options > controls and keybind it. I have mine set to “L”. F5 to activate pet aspect (there by absorbing the pet) is completely probable.

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Actually, passive/agressive is already in game. By default it’s not keybound. You have to go into the options > controls and keybind it. I have mine set to “L”. F5 to activate pet aspect (there by absorbing the pet) is completely probable.

He might have meant Attack/Come back command that’s been suggested several times to work as a toggle to give room for a pet ability.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I’d say that 3 aspect is a bit much due to the fact that there is already the pet and you absolutely need the bare minimum controle given to the ranger. So I bet on an F5 swaping between 2 aspects.

F5 to activate pet aspect (there by absorbing the pet) is completely probable.

I do not think there will be an “absorb pet” effect or anything that get rid of the pet there are way to many traits related to the pet and the F2 to make this “probable”.

Beside, the aspects “Affect” targets which mean that it’s not a selfbuff or a pet buff. Maybe it’s something that will remind the GW1 ranger’s spirit with their typical double edge effect (Though it could be complicated since it will obviously be capped to 5 targets or maybe 5 allies and 5 foes).

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Of couse, but we’re trying to fit aspects into the class mechanic without going too overboard. Mesmer got an F5, so maybe Ranger as well. I wouldn’t bet on an F6 though.

Closer to your way could be:
F1 = pet skill 1
F2 = pet special
F3 = pet skill 3
F4 = pet swap

Not sure how Aspects fit into it. Could still be attached to F1,F2 and F3, but it would have double functionality for doing different things.

Complete control over the pet should have been adresses way before they did any work on elite specs.

A new F skill to control pet skill number 4 would be a very welcomed addition to the pet mechanic. On demand drake blast, bird swiftness, canines knockdown etc.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

Maybe the aspects the passive bonus of the pet-class, that we’re currently using. If we use a wolf, we’ve the aspect of canine. If we use eagle, we’ve the aspect of birds … etc.

If you switch your pet, you will also switch the aspects and initiate a AoE (buff or damage). Or the aspect is a new F2 skill.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

Crazy Idea…
… what if F5 was to swap places with the pet, or to play as the pet.

A more buffed up version of the pet, but similar to necromancer death shroud where we get independent health bars. Just a fun idea to bounce off of people. I always considered druids shape-kittenfers or being able to connect with the spirits of animals. The second options sounds like norn though so less likely.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

Where is the information found that says rangers are getting aspects?

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Where is the information found that says rangers are getting aspects?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3hde8l/data_mining_some_datamined_specialization/

in Ranger

Mcrocha.3891

in Ranger

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

That make me think aspects will have some on swap AoE, hopefully it looks as cool a call of the wild or the legend swapping.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in Ranger

Posted by: meeflak.9714

meeflak.9714

I’ve seen some very convincing speculation, and there’s something that worries me.

What I dont want to see.

I don’t want to add aspects being something you channel, to receive boons/buffs/ect. Related to the animal.

For instance “channel bear and pulse protection and stability/Reliance to you and your allies.”

This is just another toggle skill you activate and can swap between much like the heralds utility skills..

That play style is just too. Boring to me and wouldn’t add anything interesting to the class mechanic in my opinion. I’m hoping this isn’t what we see, but from what I’ve read here and in other places, its a pretty common speculation.

Idk. I hope its more interactive. We’ll see soon hopefully

All professions lvl 80. x2 elementalist
main Druid ~~Adalyn Del Rayna~~ [SIGH]
[Ehmry Bay]

in Ranger

meeflak.9714

Crazy Idea…
… what if F5 was to swap places with the pet, or to play as the pet.

A more buffed up version of the pet, but similar to necromancer death shroud where we get independent health bars. Just a fun idea to bounce off of people. I always considered druids shape-kittenfers or being able to connect with the spirits of animals. The second options sounds like norn though so less likely.

I love this idea, and was kind of how I was hoping they’d take it.. but you’re right about the norn point you mentioned,

A big problem I see with them introducing this is that they will have completely negated the norm racial skills.

We see some common ground tbrougout the game already yes that’s true. Ranger healing spring and sylvari racials, but I can see them shying away from shape shifting because it’d the sole unique aspect ( see what I did there) of the norn s themselves.

[Ehmry Bay]

in Ranger

Mcrocha.3891

I don’t want to add aspects being something you channel, to receive boons/buffs/ect. Related to the animal.

For instance “channel bear and pulse protection and stability/Reliance to you and your allies.”

Strong feeling that Aspects will be just that. Based on the data mined trait, I think they will kind of be like reverse virtues; when Aspects are swapped to they do a boon/condi/special effect application in PBAoE and then subsequently they give passive effects on attacks/skill usage or passive boon pulses/condi clears.

I think this is likely based on the fact that we’re getting glyphs and they logically, if similar to Ele glyphs, would give effects based on what Aspect the ranger was passively channeling.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

~Augh!
Yeah, that would really bum me out.

“Here’s this button that has nothing to do anything, but we gave it some animal themed visuals so it counts as broadening your profession mechanicokaybye- "

Regular Swap gives me that vibe on a bad day, I can’t imagine if they dropped even the flimsy pet health pretense and just shamelessly tacked on an island of a button.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

meeflak.9714

I agree, that would really bum me out.

“Here’s this button that has nothing to do anything, but we gave it some animal themed visuals so it counts as broadening your profession mechanicokaybye- "

Regular Swap gives me that vibe on a bad day, I can’t imagine if they dropped even the flimsy pet health pretense and just shamelessly tacked on an island of a button.

yeah this exactly… there has to be something else added to make this thematically and mechanically pleasing,

like ive said before, a shape shifting idea does sound really cool, and the aspects are something that you take the form of, glyph skills changing to reflect that, but i highly doubt we will see this. all signs point to a toggle skill.

if this is the case i will be very underwhelmed. and considering this is my main, and more cherished class (although not my main throughout the whole game, engi pvp for life) its going to cut straight to the heart if this is just not good xD im not saying its doomed to be bad. but adding something like that will leave a very sore taste in my mouth (im a salty person as it is.)

[Ehmry Bay]