Axe + Longbow Ranger = New God Tier?

in Ranger

Posted by: Black Scoutsman.5830

Black Scoutsman.5830

I just wanna say I find it rather humerous that this kind of ridiculous buffing is what it takes for people to finally believe that power ranger with a longbow is viable. I have been running a zerker Lb/Gs build since kitten near the game came out and I have to say that the last round of buffs (Read the wind) made longbow stupid powerful to someone who knows how to play a ranger. This round of buffs is going to break it. There will be threads of rangers instagibbing because 1500 range autoattacks every 3/4 of a second raining 4k’s down on anything with less than 1800 toughness. Go ahead and dodge my AA has no Cd. And before you tell me that that ranger build dies to a violent sneeze, Let me tell you that there are people out there who know this setup is going to be broken, who know how to play the ranger, and are quickly collecting buckets for all the warrior and thief tears that are about to come. I am one of them. My buckets are ready.

Human Warrior, Ranger and dedicated Scout of Yaks bend
The Pinnacle of Resposibility [Mom]

in Ranger

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

Read the Wind was a bit truncated, it seems.
In the video: In addition to the arrow velocity, the trait now increases attack speed with a longbow by 10%.

-Karl
(edited for clarity)

Can we get together and send Karl some cookies?

in Ranger

Posted by: desertleaf.5403

desertleaf.5403

Rangers are going to get their butts kicked when the changes go live. They are going to remove/replace the 1 trait that makes them 1 of the top power classes.

Say good bye to 25% and 150%. I hardly believe 7% more damage on base attack added with attack speed will measure up to 150% longshot from max distance and 150% more damage with critical maul strike. Good bye pro rangers. welcome weak sauce rangers. Its going to be hard to battle with the other professions without signets affecting the player.

Aside from damage nerf, removing the trait also nerfs defensive signets.

Other professions ckittene invulnerability and immunity. without ranger trait signet of beastmaster, we rangers are stuck on soaking all damages and left with a single shout that gets your pet killed and stops it from attacking.

Removing/replacing that single trait made a new ranger, a weaker one. Less damage and more pew pew. Id rather hit hard than hit many times to add up to 1 hard hit.

(edited by desertleaf.5403)

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Rangers are going to get their butts kicked when the changes go live. They are going to remove/replace the 1 trait that makes them 1 of the top power classes.

Say good bye to 25% and 150%. I hardly believe 7% more damage on base attack added with attack speed will measure up to 150% longshot from max distance and 150% more damage with critical maul strike. Good bye pro rangers. welcome weak sauce rangers. Its going to be hard to battle with the other professions without signets affecting the player.

Other professions ckittene invulnerability and immunity. without ranger trait signet of beastmaster, we rangers are stuck on soaking all damages and left with a single shout that gets your pet killed and stops it from attacking.

Removing/replacing that single trait made a new ranger, a weaker one. Less damage and more pew pew. Id rather hit hard than hit many times to add up to 1 hard hit.

lulwut? They are removing Beastmaster Signet and making signets work by default like everyone else’s.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I am just waiting for Read the Wind to apply to shortbow. It’ll probably take until this time next year, but I’m confident we’ll see it one day.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

RtW on shortbow would be a dream come true.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

RtW on shortbow would be a dream come true.

If they made it work with Eagle eye as well it certainly would be. Or at least make up for the nerfs.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Signets are going to affect the Ranger by default.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

I’ve already got a rough draft going for these new changes. Relatively tanky for the damage it’ll have once the changes are implemented. Ranger will dominate with this!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNUQJATRjEqUwaDLusQ1ag9gadAUAnd7f4G2BXbRBLeA-TVCFABAt/AAXCgCVx5KlgIp87RVCE4JAkmugEVHIAACwNvZ28mBG6QH6QH6Q7mD9mD9mDtMA5bB-w

Got so happy after I heard about the changes and figured I would do this with the new changes and go dominate people

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in Ranger

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

I am already using lb+ axe/axe or axe/warhorn. I don’t think it would be that op. since the might is only 3s.

I am so glad for the lb change tho.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

If Combustive Shot had to at least hit something to proc Cleansing Ire, we could see a shift in warrior meta.

As it stands for now, the hardest foes for LB ranger to beat are both D/D faceroll Ele and Thief in general.

I had an idea to revmap Heal as One into more evasive/kiting healing skill. Let’s say 15-20 sec cd with decent heal and jump backwards similar to Engi’s Acid Bomb but with 800-900 range, maybe cripple removal. For next couple seconds after using this heal, your pet prevents all gapclosers and teleports into your area of, let’s say 300 with a stun.

to keep things more simple;
Heal as One
CD 18 seconds
Initial Self heal: 7500 + 1.00 x healing power
When struck, stun the enemy for 2 seconds and heal an additional 2000 + 0.25 x healing power.

Simpler, stronger and more flexible (if that stun would work with Moment of Clarity to produce 4 sec stun if traited, even better)

That’s okay. But I’d be glad to get even a little bit less healing, but long leap backwards, to maintain decent kiting range.

I would suggest a condition cleanse in it, which is currently sorely lacking in longbow traited rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

El oh el. Glass lb is going to cause so many tears.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

If Combustive Shot had to at least hit something to proc Cleansing Ire, we could see a shift in warrior meta.

As it stands for now, the hardest foes for LB ranger to beat are both D/D faceroll Ele and Thief in general.

I had an idea to revmap Heal as One into more evasive/kiting healing skill. Let’s say 15-20 sec cd with decent heal and jump backwards similar to Engi’s Acid Bomb but with 800-900 range, maybe cripple removal. For next couple seconds after using this heal, your pet prevents all gapclosers and teleports into your area of, let’s say 300 with a stun.

to keep things more simple;
Heal as One
CD 18 seconds
Initial Self heal: 7500 + 1.00 x healing power
When struck, stun the enemy for 2 seconds and heal an additional 2000 + 0.25 x healing power.

Simpler, stronger and more flexible (if that stun would work with Moment of Clarity to produce 4 sec stun if traited, even better)

That’s okay. But I’d be glad to get even a little bit less healing, but long leap backwards, to maintain decent kiting range.

I would suggest a condition cleanse in it, which is currently sorely lacking in longbow traited rangers.

You have to make choices. Not taking healing spring is a choice. If you go all in offensively, you really cant complain on the defensive front. Condi Ranger get the byproduct of getting toughness when going condi. Then they can stack regen and endurance on top of that.

Even if a power Ranger tried to emulate this set up it won’t work the same and require more skill to pull off due to the passive nature of condition damage (Hit once, twice, evade, evade, evade and attack again. Won’t work for a power Ranger.)

Power rangers need to kill quick they don’t need a lot of cleanse, if they cant kill you quick or put you on the defensive more cleans really wouldn’t have made that much of a difference.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Sigh, RtW will def be mandatory now

along with 5 other traits in the same tree, of which we can only pick 3…

honestly i’d have preferred trait merges rather than buffing traits that we can’t pick without shooting ourselves in the foot.

read the wind and eagle eye belong together, faster arrows are pointless at closer ranges and longer range is useless without faster arrows, these traits need merging.

piercing arrows needs to be default, or merge it with something else.

TL;DR they should clean up the trait line before trying to balance the traits.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I feel that Eagle pet and Intimidation Training in setup 4/0/0/6/4 will be more mandatory against mobile opponents. Perma Cripple is a thing, especially when your DPS pet can land all attacks.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

stop speculating in pets and pet cooldowns. Remember before they implemented Invigorating bond? How we all speculated that aslong as it was over 500 healing we could abuse the hell out of it with traited eagle???? yeah, 20 sec ICD…

Ill call it right now; there WILL BE an ICD with that trait. Surely not 20 seconds, but enough to make it matter.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

@Prysin
Hi, what’s new about that? Intimidation Training could already be “abused” with spiders, actually its now much better because forest and cave pider shoot 3/2 times and the cripple is getting stacked. They already nerfed the trait making that -"This can only occur once on each target affected by abilities.” Do you think they will add additional ICD to an unpopular trait that already got nerfed?(and ya, i understand the reason for the nerf) I dont think they will add ICD to Intimidation Training, the trait realy doesnt need it.
EDIT: Ok, i forgot eagle F2 is on 6 sec CD(and not 10) i’m joining @Prysin statement.

(edited by LughLongArm.5460)

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

stop speculating in pets and pet cooldowns. Remember before they implemented Invigorating bond? How we all speculated that aslong as it was over 500 healing we could abuse the hell out of it with traited eagle???? yeah, 20 sec ICD…

Ill call it right now; there WILL BE an ICD with that trait. Surely not 20 seconds, but enough to make it matter.

Well we saw the the pre-finalized tooltip and there was no mention of any ICD on that tooltip, and let’s be honest…. my perma chill build NEEDS to be able to apply perma-cripple too. It’s simply underpowered without it lol.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

axe might is too short to seriously build around. With 3 sec might it’s 9 stacks at best that start dissapearing the moment you stop throwing that axe. In vid it was 12, but he admitted he had +boon duration. Even then it’s dropping the second you swap to second weapon at an alarming rate.

And another issue is that for stacking mights on axe you need multiple mobs, while rapid fire is single target. going single target when mobbed is not the best idea under the sun.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

axe might is too short to seriously build around. With 3 sec might it’s 9 stacks at best that start dissapearing the moment you stop throwing that axe. In vid it was 12, but he admitted he had +boon duration. Even then it’s dropping the second you swap to second weapon at an alarming rate.

And another issue is that for stacking mights on axe you need multiple mobs, while rapid fire is single target. going single target when mobbed is not the best idea under the sun.

I think you’re right TBH. I still think axe is going to be primarily use for condition builds where is could turn out pretty nicely. Could easily use Axe2 and whatever other condition applications you have on the offhand or traps (or whatever else) and then just throw the AA a few times. The might will effect all the conditions you already applied quite nicely, which is fantastic because previous with the axe where really wasnt much to do for 5 seconds inbetween using the #2.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Please consider that your applied conditions do more damage as you stack might. You unload and then you use your auto attack in the ability downtime. That is a solid boost right there even if its 3-4 might.

in Ranger

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

I actually tried this with a Zerk build before the buffs, and it wasn’t terrible with Axe/Horn+LB. In 1v1 it pretty much couldn’t hold its own well, and it failed at roaming, but as a form of artillery, and team rear support it was decent. Sprint for movement, Fury for increased crit, chill for CC and LB for range dmg…The only thing that did not synergize well was Axe 2. After the buffs I could see it being even more useful in this format but most will still stick to Sword/Dagger for the mobility for SPvp. These feel more like Pve buffs if anything

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Am I the only one who feels that Heal As One only needs small changes like 1s cast time and Survival Skill status?

Since (traited) Entangle will have a 48s cooldown, it will work great with “on elite”-runes which have a 45 cooldown.

There are also “on heal”-runes which have a 10s cooldown, I think it would be nice if Heal as One could make use of those by halving its cooldown and effectiveness. It would look something like this:

Heal as One
3260 +0.5*healing power
10s cooldown
3/4 cast time

Currently it’s this:
Heal as One
6520 +1.0*healing power
20s cooldown
1 1/4 cast time

(edited by Holland.9351)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

-sniff- I knew this day would come! I knew that if I stuck with my Longbow long enough, my faith would be rewarded!

You have my bow!

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

and my Axe

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I think you’re right TBH. I still think axe is going to be primarily use for condition builds where is could turn out pretty nicely. Could easily use Axe2 and whatever other condition applications you have on the offhand or traps (or whatever else) and then just throw the AA a few times. The might will effect all the conditions you already applied quite nicely, which is fantastic because previous with the axe where really wasnt much to do for 5 seconds inbetween using the #2.

Should be 4.35 seconds with Strength Runes. Combined with Beastmaster’s Might and Commanding voice you could maintain 25 stacks on your own. Then come the Splitblades and Path of Scars

I see it as a good zerg weapon.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

and my Axe

Main or off-hand?

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

after patch quite likely both on occasion

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

and my Axe

Main or off-hand?

In my case both, have a long time.

/virtual high-five Eggyokeo

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

am i dreaming? O.O powerranger might become viable!?

lets see what the other six classes will get

I’m hoping that the other classes won’t be buffed to quite the same extent as the Ranger, as the Ranger CDI highlighted that really it is this profession that’s lagging the furthest behind, so doing the same for other professions might negate what’s been given to the Ranger.

Lagging furthest behind… MESMER SAYS HI!

Well, when the Devs say that Mesmer is in a better place than Rangers you’ll be hard pressed to make a logical argument that Mesmers are worse off. Having both my Mesmer is in a MUCH better place that my Ranger… So… ThnxbutGTFO.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.