BUG: Unresponsive Pets & Skill No. 3 [merged]

in Ranger

Posted by: Ranys.4028

Ranys.4028

I honestly don’t think Anet is reading forums…
That’s why I made a reddit thread to call attention to it.

in Ranger

Posted by: PzTnT.7198

PzTnT.7198

Just tested it after the last patch, its still broken. I have a feeling this will be fixed about at the same time the drake bug will be fixed. Either that or its a “feature” to make soulbeast look more interesting. Hopefully I’m wrong.

If you are reading this you have finished reading my post and are now reading my signature.

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

still afks after swap. noice

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Last Warrior Lord.7248

Last Warrior Lord.7248

FIX PET DELAY! (3-5sec delay becoming a sitting duck)

Staff 3 blast into smoke-field of smokescale breaks the skills bar and does not blast stealth!

in Ranger

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Agreed after the recent major update pets have a problem with unresponsiveness immediately after swap. I usually hit F2 immediately after swap, and now I’m noticing F2 does nothing after swap. I have to wait a few seconds after swap before F2 will work. Please fix!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

Swap then press F1 on your target, seems to work for me…

No, it doesn’t. At least for me. Tested it like 5 minutes ago, the pets just stare for several seconds while I’m hammering F1.
I really hope that it is a bug. But what scares me the most is that it could be some kind of “artistic balance vision” and “was ment to be that way”. And someone out there thinks that it was a great game-mechanics idea. No, it wasn’t. It was a stupid idea. It makes a lot of people unhappy. It makes ranger gameplay less dinamic and responsive. It has a taste of internet lag. And it brings profession unequality (rangers got lagging slowpokes while mesmers can shatter their fantomes and necros use their minnion’s abilities the moment they are summoned). So would you kindly go fix it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Still bugged, no fix.
Are anet really cutting the core by the knees so that the PoF looks better?
Was keen to try out new skills and signets in wvw roaming but my pets useless now…

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

They’re wasting time fixing tooltips and other irrelevant garbage (how long was maul’s tooltip bugged?) and haven’t even acknowledged the issue.

Safe to say they don’t care and might as well just wait it out. It will probably get fixed at some point but we’d best get used to it for the time being.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: ZhouX.8742

ZhouX.8742

I can only imagine since soulbeast related stuff is obviously added in this last patch for demo purposes that there is massive conflicts with the pets between when youre a soulbeast and when youre a core/hot ranger. There’s obviously a massive code issue going on so they’re most likely working on it but it’s taking longer than expected for them to fix it. It’s the only possible explanation I can think of.

Tanbin

in Ranger

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Yes I was wondering as well when the pet refuses to do anything some of the time… you can see how much impact the pet has (duh) when you can’t secure kills without their spike/not even get them close for Beastly Warden which would have saved me and won the close fight.

Regarding the Staff 3 change it’s probably done to weaken Druid and nothing else, just as the Natural Healing change does. Forcing a pet stow + removing all boons means you would have to time the #3 to line up with pet swaps and plan out using abilities like SotP!.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in Ranger

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I’m certain this is a bug. The release notes make no mention of this effect and it kind of does mess rotations up, not to mention kiting in certain situations more difficult.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in Ranger

Posted by: Alatar.7364

Alatar.7364

I can assure you that Devs DO read these forums quite often.
I am also very certain that these effects such as unresposive Pets and Staff 3# are bugs/ errors, as there is no reason for them and/ or are not mentioned in Patch notes.
Therefor, everyone being aware of this, the only reason why it was not fixed yet is, that Devs simply did not figure out what is causing these problems. Do not get upset with it, as it is obviously a temporary error.
I am highly positive that we will see the end of that in following hours.

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in Ranger

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

Ya if you look on Reddit they mentioned they’re tracking and it had to do with some code messing up the timing on ranger and are working on a fix (why can’t they just be like hey we see the issue working on it here idk)

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Ltomato.8649

Ltomato.8649

Just another video demonstrating the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51qmKc6G828

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Thank you for the footage. The more information we can provide the better.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Found this in the hellhole that is reddit. You’re welcome for not having to go to that place:

[–]Anet_BenRilvald (Fractals) 15 points 3 hours ago
If your talking about the pet swap skill I don’t know all the details other than some code changed that affected ranger pet initialization timings. It looks like progress has been made in identifying the issue, and a fix is being worked on by the skills team.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

Maybe it is wishful thinking but if you order your pet to attack after swap I think it comes back from its nap? At least it seems to do that when I tried it my last few matches I did earlier today.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Maybe it is wishful thinking but if you order your pet to attack after swap I think it comes back from its nap? At least it seems to do that when I tried it my last few matches I did earlier today.

That’s wishful thinking.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Henrik.7560

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Sea of Sorrows

in Ranger

Posted by: Hidden Dragon.7523

Hidden Dragon.7523

Keep up the posts and comments guys. We need to get this Fixed ASAP (before the weekend so we can all have fun, no matter what class).

Still having the same issues here as well (unresponsiveness, staff3, on-pet swap bonuses not functioning)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Found this in the hellhole that is reddit. You’re welcome for not having to go to that place:

[–]Anet_BenRilvald (Fractals) 15 points 3 hours ago
If your talking about the pet swap skill I don’t know all the details other than some code changed that affected ranger pet initialization timings. It looks like progress has been made in identifying the issue, and a fix is being worked on by the skills team.

Thanks for taking one for the team Fluffball

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Brazzi.2045

Brazzi.2045

Still bugged :c

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

So I was testing out a new build when I realized that the pet was completely unresponsive for several seconds after pet swapping. I then left the match I was in and tried to see if it would respond by taking off the new zephyr’s speed trait thinking maybe the super speed bugged the pets AI. No change. Pet is still unresponsive for 3-5 seconds.

I attempted it on other maps as well and no change. PLEASE test and see if you are having this is as well. If this is a thing we need to get it reported asap.

I’ve been saying the same thing for months but never get any traction in forums.

They stand there and do little, maybe jerking forward, sometimes not, but not always and intermittent without a pattern I can even discern.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Yeah this is unacceptable, the game is actually unplayable right now because of how horrible the gameplay quality is right now.

Somebody screwed up the code on the back end big time more than likely, in preparation for the Soulbeast (other backend changes that can be been through tooltips are things like traits referring to beast skills, which is the pet F2, but is also present in Soulbeast tooltips).

They were probably trying to make the pet swap function compatible with the Beastmode form and in doing so changed some sort of delay option or even networking option. Pet AI is inherited from PvE AI, and as you’ll notice, when PvE AI objects are created they “stall” too. So somebody messed up the code that differentiated ranger pet object behavior from the inherited behavior.

That or the super class is overwriting the pet class since it may have been slightly altered for PoF changes.

Regardless, how this didn’t get caught by a QA person with 3 seconds of testing their changes…. Unacceptable. ANet, there is no way your employees did their job on this one. Somebody on one of the teams said “eff it, I’m sure it works fine” when they pushed their changes or when the QA decided it didn’t need testing.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Forum bug /15characters

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadTreeJig.6714

DeadTreeJig.6714

I am experiencing the same issue with pets not responding for several seconds after swaps. From the forums it seems to be wide spread, but I have to wonder if it is happening to everyone. I would think if it were happening to everyone this forum would be filled with nothing but posts about the issue, but that’s not the case. Is anyone not having this specific issue since the 8/8 patch?

If it is this wide spread I also wonder how it could have slipped into the patch since anet says they play the game, especially since some anet employees have admitted they play rangers.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world – Paul Gerhardt
Just so we’re clear, I’m a solo player – Kirito
Live, Laugh, Love Kill Dredge – DedTreeJig

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Yep it’s game breaking bug. What i don’t understand is why it is not fixed already….

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Posted by: hlaraujo.3210

hlaraujo.3210

I got back to my ranger to see what was that all about, but my pets seem to be reponding just fine, no delay after swapping for F2 skills nor for commands. Tried with different pets and none had this issue.

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

So I was testing out a new build when I realized that the pet was completely unresponsive for several seconds after pet swapping. I then left the match I was in and tried to see if it would respond by taking off the new zephyr’s speed trait thinking maybe the super speed bugged the pets AI. No change. Pet is still unresponsive for 3-5 seconds.

I attempted it on other maps as well and no change. PLEASE test and see if you are having this is as well. If this is a thing we need to get it reported asap.

I’ve been saying the same thing for months but never get any traction in forums.

They stand there and do little, maybe jerking forward, sometimes not, but not always and intermittent without a pattern I can even discern.

Hmm. Ill be blunt. I don’t apprecaite using this thread as an attempt to kitten about anet. What you are describing is how game development happens. People just like to ignore it due to individual things that bother them. Lets take this patch. This patch is setup for an expansion. And probably changed ALOT of things we don’t know about.

THIS THREAD was not meant to be a tool to rage at arena net for daring to make a mistake. kitten happens. It happens in EVERY GAME. To someone. Frequently. You can make a different thread if you want to complain. If your going to post here. Please do so in a way thats relevant to the topic. I.E. Providing information and video to further help arena net fix this one specific issue thats plaguing rangers at the moment.

Please do not use this as your place to vent if you can’t provide meaningful feedback with it.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Henrik.7560

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Sea of Sorrows

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

Yeah this is unacceptable, the game is actually unplayable right now because of how horrible the gameplay quality is right now.

Somebody screwed up the code on the back end big time more than likely, in preparation for the Soulbeast (other backend changes that can be been through tooltips are things like traits referring to beast skills, which is the pet F2, but is also present in Soulbeast tooltips).

They were probably trying to make the pet swap function compatible with the Beastmode form and in doing so changed some sort of delay option or even networking option. Pet AI is inherited from PvE AI, and as you’ll notice, when PvE AI objects are created they “stall” too. So somebody messed up the code that differentiated ranger pet object behavior from the inherited behavior.

That or the super class is overwriting the pet class since it may have been slightly altered for PoF changes.

Regardless, how this didn’t get caught by a QA person with 3 seconds of testing their changes…. Unacceptable. ANet, there is no way your employees did their job on this one. Somebody on one of the teams said “eff it, I’m sure it works fine” when they pushed their changes or when the QA decided it didn’t need testing.

Its likely a conflict that didn’t show until it hit live appeared. From what I remember talking to game devs this can happen. QA doesn’t catch everything because not everything appears until the real thing gets turned on.

Im in contact with someone solo developing his own game. He frequently mentions things that seem to work perfectly breaking at a later date for “reasons”. Lets also remember that hindsight is 20/20.

Also as I said above. Lets keep this on topic a bit. I don’t mind discussing or theory-crafting how this may have happened. But going off on tangets about Arena Net does NOTHING except further lowers the morale of anyone who has to read it. Getting everyone riled up at arena net isn’t going to change anything. And making them out to be the bad guy or incompotent at their jobs when ignoring everything they do RIGHT isn’t going to help fix the issue.

Edit: Im not attempting to white knight or make excuses for arena net here. Just attempting to put forth an alternative possibility and try to keep us from going further into a tangent.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

in Ranger

Posted by: Aquamarine.3698

Aquamarine.3698

I tested it yesterday with my teef friend, and I can explained why.
The smoke cloud itself is not broken, it can be blasted when it is normally activated.
However, if you try to blast the smoke cloud with staff #3, the pet will be stowed during your staff #3 and the smoke field won’t work (the animation still remains). The same result will happen by just casting smoke cloud and stowing pet manually, you can see the smoke field animation remians but it has actually gone with pet stow.

in Ranger

DeadTreeJig.6714

in Ranger

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

Yep it’s game breaking bug. What i don’t understand is why it is not fixed already….

Well, if you could point out exactly which lines of code caused the problem, I’m sure they’ll get right on it.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

I know there are a lot of posts, my point was if it’s happening to everyone there would be little to no post in the ranger forum that weren’t about the bug.

Cuz people who actually know how to make a good use of a forum are posting on the dedicated topics instead of compulsively spreading trash threads ?

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Posted by: Tharne.3298

Tharne.3298

I started the game from scratch yesterday , I’m at lvl 8 at the moment but I don’t have any issues like the one in the vids, I’ll report back at lvl 11 after testing F2, but maybe it’s tied to changes they did to some traits ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I’ve experienced no issues. I’ve seen people here talking about a staff skill as well, and I don’t have HoT, so maybe thats why? I’m not sure. But yeah, I haven’t had any issues.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

@Shadefang I have no idea how programming works and won’t even begin to pretend I do, but I know I ASSUMED that QA version and patch version would be identical. So if it’s true it might alter then I’ll give Anet the benefit of the doubt because otherwise it would imply their QA team is literally just incompetent because I noticed the big literally within 2 minutes of gameplay.

in Ranger

DeadTreeJig.6714

I started the game from scratch yesterday , I’m at lvl 8 at the moment but I don’t have any issues like the one in the vids, I’ll report back at lvl 11 after testing F2, but maybe it’s tied to changes they did to some traits ?

It happens on my level 80. I have a level 20(ish) ranger, I’ll have check tonight to see if it happens with him as well.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

So what you’re saying is… it only effects old characters lol?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tharne.3298

Tharne.3298

I’m saying that maybe it’s tied to one trait in particuliar, without the trait there is no problem but with it the bug happens. To find this trait though…

Edit : Could even be a combination of traits. So it could be hard to pinpoint the exact source of the problem.

(edited by Tharne.3298)

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Hey, I’m a dev myself, I understand.

But we’re 5 years into development now with an expac dropping and SERIOUS bugs just rolled into the live version of the game. If you’re supposedly a triple A development company, how do you not have a testing methodology for this yet? How is your test server not live server with restricted access so that you can test changes in a live environment?

Sure, maybe my hyperbole isn’t needed, but 5 years later and I’m no longer feeling much like I should be holding back as a nicety anymore.

Also, I haven’t been able to play my Ranger for the 3rd day in a row now. Either make seamless updates without taking the game offline, or take the game offline to make sure updates go smoothly. If they dedicated themselves to this service model and then disrupt our service because of quality issues, then it’s no different than just taking the game offline.

I don’t make comments about ANet because I enjoy attacking them. But without feedback, the devs aren’t going to know that they, or SOMEBODY is falling down on the job, and the only way that they will ever put out better quality work is if they are aware that their current work is unsatisfactory to their customers.

But I’ve said my piece.

Maybe Ranger will actually be playable by the preview weekend. That would be nice.

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

I hope so too. I still havn’t been able to test the majority of the things I desired too due to this bug. I really want to be able to play my main class in the new map. But..ive got my reaper ready just in case that goes south I suppose.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I’m saying that maybe it’s tied to one trait in particuliar, without the trait there is no problem but with it the bug happens. To find this trait though…

Edit : Could even be a combination of traits. So it could be hard to pinpoint the exact source of the problem.

Well I know I run Druid/NM/BM and it still persisted when I swapped out NM for WS, so maybe it’s in BM or Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey guys,

I met up with Irenio, who was heading into my area of the building to talk to me about this very bug. As it turns out, it’s quite a complicated issue and that’s why it took a while to address. But… it has been addressed, yaaay! The fix for this issue should be going out very soon, perhaps before the end of the week.

Naturally, for something this complicated, there are a lot of “layers to the onion” in getting it resolved, but it is very much in the devs’ minds, and help is on the way for our beloved, but lazy-seeming, pets!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Hey guys,

I met up with Irenio, who was heading into my area of the building to talk to me about this very bug. As it turns out, it’s quite a complicated issue and that’s why it took a while to address. But… it has been addressed, yaaay! The fix for this issue should be going out very soon, perhaps before the end of the week.

Naturally, for something this complicated, there are a lot of “layers to the onion” in getting it resolved, but it is very much in the devs’ minds, and help is on the way for our beloved, but lazy-seeming, pets!

Thanks for the response Gaile, appreciated!

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Hey guys,

Woohoo!! Thank you so much! Now Jolt is going to be eager to headbutt people again instead of groggily waddling into battle.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Actually, Irenio just said I could remove “perhaps” from “perhaps before the end of the week.” So celebrate with me and look forward to the return of our fully-alert and ultra-responsive pet friends!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Irenio best dev!