Can rangers do decent ranged damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

“Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.”

I made sure Anet was advertising their rangers as range-ers before I rolled one.

That’s called marketing, and everyone believes it like it was the bible itself

I know, felt like I was scammed. False advertisement

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Tell you want Urdriel, pick up my Beast Cannon build, its a PvE burst build, see how much damage you can do within 8 seconds at full speed sword + pet AA, and compare to a warrior with it’s best DPS setup. I think you may be in for a shock.

Can you link it, please? Don’t think it was posted in this thread.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJBMhdCURklVBZVBrlBkli9Y/YKOkE59A9iFR8iJKRC-jEyAYrASEApCAJvioxWJLiGraBTVSEV7NKiWtUARsMC-w

Geared for the highest offense. Normally you run with a more defensive setup using cavaliers pieces

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQFARjkO5uFPaP4wBAzjfAqoTBoUPmzu2A-j0xAYLAqAQyrIasVyioxqWwUlER1ejioVLFQELjA-w
If we compare builds to a warrior that is aiming to do maximum damage with GS, you see that the warrior will have more power and the skills seems to have higher damage. This is until you look at pets, which with this setup will do a bare minimum of 600 damage on their AA. That means 580/580/675 + 600. This puts you above warrior AA.
Now you will argue that 100b is a great skill with insane coefficient, however if you look at how tooltips work it says;
100b
Total damage from 8 strikes: Damage(8x) = 6392
Final Strike Damage = 1599
Total skill damage = 7991 over 3.5 seconds
That is really good, and not easy to match. Add in crits and you could well be looking at something between 24-30k damage total. Not bad at all.
Yet, those number can be produced by Maul. And yet you don’t have to be rooted to use it. You can literally buff up, charge the enemy, smash its face and use LR to get to safety before you get smacked.

Now, the only profession that can beat 30k damage in 3.5 seconds is thief. However the skill itself has a 8 second cooldown (6.5 if traited).

So if we look at DPS over 8 seconds (which is only natural since thats how long you gotta wait to reuse it) then the whole thing changes a little. 30k over 8 seconds is not a big deal. Thats merely 3750 damage/second. Easy to get.

Now, the way my beastcannon build works, is that instead of making the ranger do full zerker damage and the pet only moping around, the pet too is zerker.
For reference; Queens Pavillion, all bosses up till liadri – dead within 7-12 seconds.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

(edited by Prysin.8542)

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Tell you want Urdriel, pick up my Beast Cannon build, its a PvE burst build, see how much damage you can do within 8 seconds at full speed sword + pet AA, and compare to a warrior with it’s best DPS setup. I think you may be in for a shock.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJBMhNCUFZnYZVxaHQWK2j9jp4QSk3D0LWExLmoEJ-jEyAYrASEApCAJvioxWJLiGraBTVSEV7NKiWtUARsMC-w

Geared for the highest offense. Normally you run with a more defensive setup using cavaliers pieces

Masters Bond and Zephyr Speed don’t seem compatible.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJBMhNCUFZnYZVxaHQWK2j9jp4QSk3D0LWExLmoEJ-jEyAYrASEApCAJvioxWJLiGraBTVSEV7NKiWtUARsMC-w

Masters Bond and Zephyr Speed don’t seem compatible.

In PvE it is, in WvW it isnt. you keep the pet until your quickness from Quickening Zephyr runs out, then you change pet to birds which hits harder then cats. Yes there is a slight DPS drop, but it works, albeit it can be a bit clunky at times

in Ranger

Posted by: Bambula.3649

Bambula.3649

bm trait maybe for wvw, but with the two meta builds you gut the better dps and team support, 30 points in bm is nice..problem the bonus dmg you got as result is poor.

one question prysin, why you play with sotw and not sic’em?

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJBMhdCURklVBZVBrlBkli9Y/YKOkE59A9iFR8iJKRC-jEyAYrASEApCAJvioxWJLiGraBTVSEV7NKiWtUARsMC-w

I don’t know, I’m not so convinced… I also don’t think that Master’s Bond and Zephyr’s Speed go well together. But you wrote PvE and didn’t really specify if you mean dungeons as well. I totally buy it for open world PvE, but dungeons, not so much…

And to refer to previous discussion, I’d probably take Foritfy Bond anytime duo to might stacking in dungeons..

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Prysin, ranger are among top tiers dungeon proffesions??

Can you have more heal than a warrior with heal signet?? yes, you can, you must spend a lot of traits and gear only have more than 350hp/s, a warrior only must choose the signet to have 387 hp/s.

Another classes must spend 2+2+3 to have 7 we must use 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 to have 7 , why?? because this class traits/skills/weapons/class mechanic have ZERO sinergy compared with other classes, you must work x2 or x3 times to have the same than other classes have x1, and the question is, Why?

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

not true urdriel not true..we got much sinergy in the traits, but we have to decide more than other classes.

but plz stop with your kitten storm, you tell us war gs deal most dmg or you still think the war is the best damge dealer, so that proves you have no clue what you’re talking about.

you are right if you tell that it´s hard to deal the dmg like other classes, but we can deal the dmg and that is the point WE CAN !

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

Can you have more heal than a warrior with heal signet?? yes, you can, you must spend a lot of traits and gear only have more than 350hp/s, a warrior only must choose the signet to have 387 hp/s.

Troll Unguent actually has 340hps which isn’t far off from warrior’s signet passive effect and that’s without any traits/skills. Ele’s can have 404 passive heal per sec with their signet + most daggers auto attack. No traits there either. And honestly, what has hps to do with this discussion anyway?

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Another classes must spend 2+2+3 to have 7 we must use 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 to have 7 , why?? because this class traits/skills/weapons/class mechanic have ZERO sinergy compared with other classes, you must work x2 or x3 times to have the same than other classes have x1, and the question is, Why?

Urdriel, you are obviously not willing to give rangers a chance. I suggest you find some other profession(s) more to your liking. If you continue to play a profession without enjoying it, it will only bring frustration and anger, and i know from personal experience that more often then not, that frustration and anger spills over into real life.
If you don’t like rangers, don’t play them.
At this point, you clearly show you do not like them and you do not want to face the reality of what the ranger can do.

EDIT; healing signet is the most selfish of all things you can bring as a warrior. Wasting 30 points into a traitline to get 400hps healing, at the expense of not taking more group friendly traits is simply stupid. One player cannot change the tide of a high level PvE Content if all he/she thinks of is themselves. They will simply die if the team is not there to sustain them. PvE bosses have bursts so strong that the healing signet is useless.

(edited by Prysin.8542)

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQFARjkO5uFPaP4wBAzjfAqoTBoUPmzu2A-j0xAYLAqAQyrIasVyioxqWwUlER1ejioVLFQELjA-w
If we compare builds to a warrior that is aiming to do maximum damage with GS, you see that the warrior will have more power and the skills seems to have higher damage. This is until you look at pets, which with this setup will do a bare minimum of 600 damage on their AA. That means 580/580/675 + 600. This puts you above warrior AA.
Now you will argue that 100b is a great skill with insane coefficient, however if you look at how tooltips work it says;
100b
Total damage from 8 strikes: Damage(8x) = 6392
Final Strike Damage = 1599
Total skill damage = 7991 over 3.5 seconds
That is really good, and not easy to match. Add in crits and you could well be looking at something between 24-30k damage total. Not bad at all.
Yet, those number can be produced by Maul. And yet you don’t have to be rooted to use it. You can literally buff up, charge the enemy, smash its face and use LR to get to safety before you get smacked.

Now, the only profession that can beat 30k damage in 3.5 seconds is thief. However the skill itself has a 8 second cooldown (6.5 if traited).

So if we look at DPS over 8 seconds (which is only natural since thats how long you gotta wait to reuse it) then the whole thing changes a little. 30k over 8 seconds is not a big deal. Thats merely 3750 damage/second. Easy to get.

Now, the way my beastcannon build works, is that instead of making the ranger do full zerker damage and the pet only moping around, the pet too is zerker.
For reference; Queens Pavillion, all bosses up till liadri – dead within 7-12 seconds.

1. 5% Critchance sigile is bad, fire/air is better or 10% night/x slaying
2. Warrior highest dps ist NOT NOT NOT GS, not only.
Its a Axe/Mace+GS Rotation (if u are not at 25stacks of might):
Axe2
Maxe2
100B
GS5 (if it´s a target where the charge is working)
WA if u are in a corner
Axe2
Axe AA
Mace 4
Axe2
AxeAA again
Then 100B the next time.

Yes u are ~ 10sec Axe 5sec GS then again 8 sec Axe (2 AA Chains, interrupting Axe AA is a horribel dps loss).
GS AA is usually never used. Only noob warriors are playing like this.

Maximum Warriordps fullbuffed (25 Might all the time) is 30/25/0/10/5 pure Axe/Mace no GS.
The 30/10/0/0/30 or 30/0/0/10/30 builds are ALWAYS weaker then 30/25/0/0/15 (rotation) or 30/25/0/10/5 (no rotation).

And again. Warrior dps is only 4(or5) out of 8 classes.
Ele deals 50% more then warriors (without FGS!)
Guadians and thieves ~ 15-25% more
Necro ~ a few percent (but always a partywide dps loss if u pick up a necromancer)
ranger unclear, i would say a bit behind most times (but still ok we have good partybuffs and utility)
Warrior (highest dps selfbuffed)
Engineer (aweful to play 3kit + rifle rotation….)
Mesmer dps is…. if u don´t need the reflectionbubble a mesmer is not worth picking up.

My favourite dungeon party is.
1 guard
1 warrior (banner/vulnerability minion)
2 ele (or 3^^)
ranger or thief

(edited by Norjena.5172)

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Urdriel, you are obviously not willing to give rangers a chance. I suggest you find some other profession(s) more to your liking. If you continue to play a profession without enjoying it, it will only bring frustration and anger, and i know from personal experience that more often then not, that frustration and anger spills over into real life.
If you don’t like rangers, don’t play them.
At this point, you clearly show you do not like them and you do not want to face the reality of what the ranger can do.

EDIT; healing signet is the most selfish of all things you can bring as a warrior. Wasting 30 points into a traitline to get 400hps healing, at the expense of not taking more group friendly traits is simply stupid. One player cannot change the tide of a high level PvE Content if all he/she thinks of is themselves. They will simply die if the team is not there to sustain them. PvE bosses have bursts so strong that the healing signet is useless.

30 point to have healing signet??? you must be joking you have 387hp/sec only choosing healing signet as heal……

Anet will read your post and will say, oh, ranger is balanced , he doesnt need nothing, and ranger need a nice balance patch to be on par with other classes, you can kill with it in pve/pvp?? yes ofc, you can, but you need to play better than your enemy always, when both player have the same skills ranger skills/damage is subpar you can take it or not, but it is the reality, and in pve a warrior with GS and Axe can outdps 2 rangers if played well.

PD:I like the archer archetype, in last Betas , ranger was a beast, nice damage,nice mobility, nice skills coef.,pet had a really nice damage, in the release, well……..

(edited by urdriel.8496)

in Ranger

Norjena.5172

What does the healing signet (or all healskills) have todo with dungeon viability?

What rangers need is the possibility to dogde while using sword AA. And a second viable weapon, 20%+ more dps for our GS and/or are new future weapon.

Petfixes, AI a bit aoe reduction in dungeons/fractals things like this. Dps/support is ok.

but it is the reality, and in pve a warrior with GS and Axe can outdps 2 rangers if played well.

This is just…OMG u should stop posting. U are wrong with everything u say.
U have no clue about dps or dungeon/meta/speedruns.

This is DPS and it´s not the maximum u can do.
http://imgur.com/a/PsqB1
or this (yes thats max but rly impressive no warrior can do such dps not even with 100k+ 100blades).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-7gVxk_b2M&feature=youtu.be

Warrior is NOT the best dps class ingame. Warriors are good for banners/vulnerability and average dps that´s all.
Rangers are in the same niche, with frostspirit/spotter/fury/might (WH finisher/stalker) and a bit vulnerability (cat AA) and average dps too.

(edited by Norjena.5172)

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

What does the healing signet (or all healskills) have todo with dungeon viability?

What rangers need is the possibility to dogde while using sword AA. And a second viable weapon, 20%+ more dps for our GS and/or are new future weapon.

Petfixes, AI a bit aoe reduction in dungeons/fractals things like this. Dps/support is ok.

but it is the reality, and in pve a warrior with GS and Axe can outdps 2 rangers if played well.

This is just…OMG u should stop posting. U are wrong with everything u say.
U have no clue about dps or dungeon/meta/speedruns.

yeah, Stupid people than made 4warriors/1mesmer speed runs instead of
4 rangers/1mesmer.

And i know that the class with the highest burst dps of this game is the ele, but you can count with the fingers of one hand the amount of eles that know how to play his class.

You should stop posting if you say that the dps of a warrior is only average….

(edited by urdriel.8496)

in Ranger

Norjena.5172

No speedrungruop is using 4 warriors only noobs are playing with such a low dps gruop.

1 warrior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk_x9G1bFEc

2 warriors (and no mesmer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZ1rz6bwgI

1 warrior oh and 1 ranger!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQ-39_C8LI

I can search more of this RECORD RUNS for u if u want.

Ranger dps preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwf-cpHjqQU

(edited by Norjena.5172)

in Ranger

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

As a PU Mesmer who gets 3-shotted by a Longbow Ranger at 1500 range, I have to say yes.

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

if you play a pu mesmer and get 3-shotted by a lb ranger i have to say l2p

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

if you play a pu mesmer and get 3-shotted by a lb ranger i have to say l2p

+1

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

As a PU Mesmer who gets 3-shotted by a Longbow Ranger at 1500 range, I have to say yes.

It won’t take long to get that bad boy Mesmer to level 2. Then it will only take 4 shots to kill you. It keeps getting better and better though every time you level.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.