Competitive sPvP build [High Brackets]

in Ranger

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on some viable sPvP builds for Rangers that work against higher tier teams.

I am well aware that Spirit Rangers have “fell off” substantially following the nerfs to sun spirit and spirit cooldowns and the buffs to everyone else.

I would really love some assistance.

Kind Regards,

Jasher

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

The most viable option is spirit ranger.

Can try this, dominates solo queue but fall off in team queue (where I don’t think axe is viable for ranger). Can also swap for vigorous spirits and Spirit of Nature over nature’s protection and RaO.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-F7kF3FC-FFx-d2cDV-0;2Vt-d27Fk2O317T-T9-23A;126A5;3U-m6VRk0fgm9fgm91Fj

Another possible option without spirits could be with rabid or rampagers (i prefer rampagers):
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-FV-FkFC-FFx-d2cDV-0;2Vt-d27Fk2O317T9T;023A1;026A;4IJl6VRk0fgm9fgm97ZH.

With either of these builds, if you use wolf to just bide your time and bait out skills, you can then use spider immob =5s with malicious training and then just condi load your target. You can practically 100-0 engis, necros, mesmers. You can eat through guards fast. Warriors with cleansing ire are just hard to deal with cause you have to be in melee range using an axe so I prefer sb.

Full zerker power ranger is also decent with good positioning but you need something like a thief or an aura share ele to help peel for you when their thief comes for you.

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dead Muppet.9718

Dead Muppet.9718

Full zerker power ranger is extremely dependent on teammates. In my experiences thieves in solo q are vengeful little buggers and will b-line it for you after you snipe them once. This will be frustrating because you cant kite a good thief… and they will outlast your defensive cooldowns. Just pointing that out because soloq has NO shortage of thieves.

I think its the above poster has yet to have a necro flip those condis back onto you.

That being said, its just a matter of time before more players realize to focus the pet and remove these rangers condi removal.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

try Celestial amulet,
Lb+S/W 4/0/4/6
runes that grant a might bonus/duration. or a power type set.
longbow + sigil of fire + sigil of whats the name (7% crit)
Sword (sigil of strenght) horn(up to you i use sigil of earth ) but the horn one is preference.

Traits.
marksmanship = Sharpening stone, Spotter
Wilderness survival = 20% cooldown on survival skills , Oak heart or off-hand training / shared angusih (check what classes are the opposite team before choosing if you need more regen or more damage quickly or that extra stun removal it maybe 90secs but it can save you in the best of moments)
nature magic = Natures bounty , vit to power/evasive purity , Survival of the fittest

utlity
muddy terrain/quicken zypher your choice i kinda like to use muddy terrain if i decide to go mid / near , or quicken zypher if mid far.
lighting reflexes = for mobility and stun break / condi removal
#signet of the wild = your damage reduction through passive healing / evades + kiting with the Celesital amulet it’ll be at 81hp per second i find its enough to help and makes for some great tank/evade combat when used with oak heart.

i think this is a good/great build thats got great mobility+good damage and great when given the chance to use longbow on multipul targets using fire sigil.
and has some amazing potenional for tankiness just by swapping 2 traits oak heart and natures bounty .

in Ranger

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

try Celestial amulet,
Lb+S/W 4/0/4/6
Sword (sigil of strenght) horn(up to you i use sigil of earth ) but the horn one is preference.

Traits.
Wilderness survival = 20% cooldown on survival skills , Oak heart or off-hand training / shared angusih (check what classes are the opposite team before choosing if you need more regen or more damage quickly or that extra stun removal it maybe 90secs but it can save you in the best of moments)
nature magic = Natures bounty , vit to power/evasive purity , Survival of the fittest

utlity
muddy terrain/quicken zypher your choice i kinda like to use muddy terrain if i decide to go mid / near , or quicken zypher if mid far.
#signet of the wild = your damage reduction through passive healing / evades + kiting with the Celesital amulet it’ll be at 81hp per second i find its enough to help and makes for some great tank/evade combat when used with oak heart.

i think this is a good/great build thats got great mobility+good damage and great when given the chance to use longbow on multipul targets using fire sigil.
and has some amazing potenional for tankiness just by swapping 2 traits oak heart and natures bounty .

What heal do you use with this setup and what pets work well with it?

(edited by PlagueParade.7942)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I use sword dagger axe torch. Leeching/geomancy.
0-0-30-20-20
Typical wilderness line
spirit traits
mighty swap/vigor on swap
Krait runes/Shaman
SoR(OR SotW) sun, stone, nature, healspring.
River drake/wolf (but wolf on top so stored state -> spawn gives you wolf, then swap to drake to blast your water field.)

This is the most effective build I have found for ranger at the moment. This is not a teamfight build though. You are stronger running past mid straight to far because you lack shortbow.

Ranger | Elementalist

(edited by Ryan.9387)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

try Celestial amulet,
Lb+S/W 4/0/4/6

Traits.

utlity

What heal do you use with this setup and what pets work well with it?

healing spring for on point support regen/heal/splash and leap.
pets i normaly use .
Warthog+wolf
or a Feline+wolf/drake
some times Feline+black widow

if i play on sky hammer i always have a wolf.
other maps are of your choice.

on Kyoto i tend to go with a snow leapord it’ll take them a while with chill+cripple to get back on point after you point blank shot them while you heal with healing spring.

the drake or black widow, i use on Temple of the Silent Storm for the aoe knockdowns or immoblize as most of the areas in this map don’t have far or wide areas so i use the drakes cone attacks on the choke points door ways and the likes small spaces are good for the Aoe knockdowns.

with the spider if i feel like taking it , using the f2 followed by muddy terrain to keep them off point before or after i use point blank. depends on if the cap point is about to be capped or not and if the time given from point blankshot is enough to finish the cap.

but with these pets i don’t have much trouble keeping them off point and me on point.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

I would advise against [sword-dagger / axe-torch] because axe-torch binds you with no weapon dodges, which a knowledgeable enemy will take advantage of to force you to blow your utilities. go with [sword-torch / axe-dagger instead]. Also shortbow is a great option if you choose to go with krait runes for the bleeding build.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I’ve written up a guide for my tPvP power BM build here. I’ve gotten my fair use out of it, and playing without condition spam is always fun. ^^

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

As a baseline for building right now, I go Axe/Dagger Sword/Torch with a Celestial Amulet, Grenth Runes, and 30 in WS for Empathic Bond and Offhand Training. Oh, and Geomancy/Hydromancy for sigils, which ends up making the builds virtually a perma chill build, and absolutely a perma-soft CC build.

Everything else is still being theorycrafted by me. I personally enjoy rolling 0/2/6/0/6 with Invigorating Bond, pet swap traits for vigor and might, and pet crit damage. However, it is a very 1v1 build, and I’m not part of what would be considered the “highest tier” of players in TPvP to be able to say how viable it is on a team composition since it is highly selfish and 1v1 oriented, though you can seriously lock down people in team fights, and your birds function as “pocket S/D thieves” doing consistent 2k damage hits, and if you are attacking the same target as the pet, people can’t get away due to chill.

That being said, most of the functionality of that build comes from the mentioned baseline. It can be incorporated into spirits or traps or whatever else you would run with Axe/Dagger Sword/Torch and be effective.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

You could try crafting some Might build with Hybrid weapons like Sword and SB, celestial amulet, both might sigils, runes and 6 in NM for SotF + FBond.

It’s more beta-state build though and oriented about 1v1, but it does it’s work quite nicely with hard-hitting pets (with perma 20 mightstacks) and self-dps.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144