Dear Anet, I'm kittened about traps

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Typical. Anet, you are like every other developer of every other mmo I have ever played. You are clueless about your playerbase and about the classes they play and about your own game.

WHY would you even touch ‘traps being thrown’?
Who wanted that nerfed?
Who complained about it?

Why would you change it?

Epic /Facepalm

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

ran into a couple of trap rangers today, they were pretty effective. spike trap knockdown is OP. you just need to play around with it some. you can go very tanky with traps, wildnerness knowledge, quickdraw and rabid stats.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

ran into a couple of trap rangers today, they were pretty effective. spike trap knockdown is OP. you just need to play around with it some. you can go very tanky with traps, wildnerness knowledge, quickdraw and rabid stats.

Thank you for supporting my dreams by being a witness.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Actually it was me. I didn’t want the thrown as baseline. Would be fine with them being thrown as option, like some suggested, but not bing force to aim them everytime.

Reason: long cast and looking for cursor, while i got a thief on me and want a fast, reliable trap where i stand.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Traps are really strong, now. Being able to throw them would be OP.

in Ranger

Posted by: Balgus.3468

Balgus.3468

The only thing that angers me about the traps, is Healing Spring. It’s labeled as a trap, has an activation, but doesn’t work with trappers runes or do anything else the traits change about traps. that’s lame. I’d rather have old Healing Spring if that’s the case.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

I agree that the Healing Spring trap change is weird.

It’s… Strange and clunky. Pets trigger it, targets at full HP trigger it (and we have been told otherwise)… And so on.
Some tweaks around this trap would be welcome. The offensive traps are fine for now.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Here’s a simple game balance lesson, an ability cannot be flexible, powerful and reliable. This is why ranged abilties are weaker than melee for instance.

Ranged AoE attacks are incredibly flexible, even if they’re only 600 range, their ability to be precast only helps that. But that’s not the play pattern people that love traps want. Trappers want to prepare, plan and relish in the moment when their opponent steps just a little bit too far left. Before they had to suffer reliability, since anyone could just roll away if you hit it. So instead, they increased the power and reliability of the desired play pattern, but at the price of flexibility and reliability of the undesired play pattern.

Hell, if spike trap could still be traited to be thrown I’m pretty sure it’d justify the throw trait on its own. That knock down is what’s currently making traps awesome.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

Actually it was me. I didn’t want the thrown as baseline. Would be fine with them being thrown as option, like some suggested, but not bing force to aim them everytime.

Reason: long cast and looking for cursor, while i got a thief on me and want a fast, reliable trap where i stand.

What are you talking about? Before this patch, you had to have a TRAIT to let you throw and ground-target traps. If you didn’t have that specific trait, then you would just drop them at your feet like you do now post-patch.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

in Ranger

Posted by: blitzkrieg.2451

blitzkrieg.2451

45 second cooldown untraited that isn’t effective against good players and takes up a utility slot. once again, and time and time again it has been said … traps aren’t good because they take up too many utility slots… they need to work like engi kits, otherwise they will NEVER be used in top tier competitive gameplay or against anyone who has a brain. it’s really that simple. traps will never be good because they don’t provide enough impact for taking up a utility slot when you can just get the same condi app from running specific weapon sets and get useful defensive utilities.

Tanbin – Ranger / Thief / Ele
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

What are you talking about? Before this patch, you had to have a TRAIT to let you throw and ground-target traps. If you didn’t have that specific trait, then you would just drop them at your feet like you do now post-patch.

Exactly. And back then i hated it already. I wanted the larger radius. I didn’t want the aiming, just a fast no battle-with-cursor trap under feet.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I agree that the Healing Spring trap change is weird.

It’s… Strange and clunky. Pets trigger it, targets at full HP trigger it (and we have been told otherwise)… And so on.
Some tweaks around this trap would be welcome. The offensive traps are fine for now.

Weirdly enough, I dismissed it but I actually like it. Drops and goes off when dropped, just like prepatch, making it still a reliable on demand heal, and it can be traited down to 24 seconds and gives 1 whole minute of regen total, while doing all of the same things Healing Spring has always done, AND still having 1:1 scaling with Healing Power.

I mean, other than it not working with Trap oriented runesets, how is it not in a perfect place? Like, I get the value of being able to drop it and somehow come back to it when needed…. but how could it have that functionality while also retaining the on demand heal functionality? It being on demand imo is the most valuable thing about it.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: rollnb.8346

rollnb.8346

Skill with 36 sec (with trait) recharge cant be overpowered.

I feel comfortable with these changes so far.
But ofcourse i agree with the thread author because, i cant now throw traps onto walls or doors and it sucks !

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Wait, Spike Trap has a 4t5s base CD now?

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I think they changed it because druid Is going to have aoe ground targetting.

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Apparently so. It’s not the first undocumented change either, Rampage as One’s cooldown got cut in half. I guess it’s to prevent spike trap chaining in PvP. Doesn’t make the trap any less powerful.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Apparently so. It’s not the first undocumented change either, Rampage as One’s cooldown got cut in half. I guess it’s to prevent spike trap chaining in PvP. Doesn’t make the trap any less powerful.

RaO’s CD being chopped is rather golden to me, the duration only being 9s is a bit lame, they could have adjusted the skill properly for half durations and recharge by making the boons 2.5s and pulse 4 times.
As for Spike Trap, with a long CD as that, it is far less powerful. The KD is great, sure, but doubling the CD? Stupid. Should be 35s max. You can still chain it anyway, that is the nature of traps.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

SotP is actually 12s. it gives you 4x 3s pulses. at 9s, you get the last pulse, which gives u an additional 3s. traited, my SotP is up very often. it really feels like my ranger is on adrenaline while popping that with QZ. very fun playstyle.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

SotP is actually 12s. it gives you 4x 3s pulses. at 9s, you get the last pulse, which gives u an additional 3s. traited, my SotP is up very often. it really feels like my ranger is on adrenaline while popping that with QZ. very fun playstyle.

I can’t actually play to test this but someone, I think it was Fluffy (sorry mate if it wasn’t), said it only lasted 9s. I’m talking about the might stacking effect here. If the boons pulse 4 times for 3s, that is great!

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

It lasts 10s and the boons ‘pulse’ once on activation and then every 3s, you gain 4 pulses

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Sweet, nice to know!

in Ranger

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

I just went into LA to discuss my sadness over my traps being nerfed, and was then mocked and laughed at and called kittened for even using a trap build in the first place. One guy even thanked Anet for killing a bad build altogether.

So again Anet, I ask you- why did you feel the need to nerf this build? I actually HONESTLY want an answer to this. Tell me why.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ighanis.8265

Ighanis.8265

I agree, I don’t seem to see how to use them effectively, with the CD almost doubled on Spike trap, the lack of being able to trait to throw them, the addition of an activation time, and the loss of synergy with trapper runes.

I don’t see how a little more damage, still much less then the numbers shown for the DH traps, and like one to two more stacks of a condition make the traps something I want to use.

I also would like to say it kinda bugs me that thief traps do not seem to have been given an arming time, at least not that I noticed. I mean I know thief traps are not really often used but if traps are being changed then traps should be changed, otherwise it seems somewhat arbitrary.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

It lasts 10s and the boons ‘pulse’ once on activation and then every 3s, you gain 4 pulses

yeah this. but I never ever found the might stacking attribute of this ability appealing or even useful outside of pve.

in Ranger

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

fire + poison trap + torch 5 + pet taunt on dog.
traps are viable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

Traps are really cool now. Before the only effective thing on traps was the ‘throwing’. Now you set your trap (like normal trap) and it is more effective than the trap before the changes. The only disadvantage is, you can’t kill people on the wall anymore.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: sniq.6301

sniq.6301

For me the main point of having targeted traps was the synergy with the trapper-runes and stealth. I was able to throw offensive traps away from me while being beaten and just dissapear.
Or I threw them on the attacker for damage and CC, depending on the situation. I use longbow and axe, and do not want to go melee in order to place traps on an opponent.
Also I do not use a condition build, so the improvements do not count very much to me.
Opening strike does not trigger any more on stealth, making it much harder for me to place those nasty 25 stacks vulnerability (by spamming traps) which my group seems to like a lot.
Maybe im just too old with my 44 years, but it took me a long time to find a build that suits my playstyle. Now it seems I have to find a new one. Hope it does not take another 2 years. ;-)

Piffel – Thief

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

Healing Spring needs a lot of tweaking;
FIRST – It needs a trigger criteria.
Triggering whenever an ally steps on it is a huge waste… Make it trigger when ally has like 90% health or lower, but not at 100% health please.

Also, the burst heal being applied on trap arming is kinda weird, I’d hoped for a heal when the trap is triggered; played in Courtyard and prepared the HS in the back and was unpleasantly surprised it only applied regen and no burst heal.

I wonder how it’d fare if instead of regen, it was pulsing heals once its triggered? every second for 10s heals for 320 health or something, and last pulse giving 5s regen or something. Something something.

I DO love the sound effect and graphical effect ahahaha

Also yeah, please fix all skill categories and rune bugs (Shouts, Traps, etc etc, not just rangers but warrior shouts and guard shouts)

in Ranger

Posted by: fejkplastik.2345

fejkplastik.2345

set aside buffs/nerfs, strength, efficiency, even meaningfulness of traps and condi trapper builds; trap targeting playing style was just a pure joy. unrivaled movement freedom. just bring it back.