Debunking the Ranger rage.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Also, if you’re still unclear on it, this is why people make groups with 4x warrior + 1 mesmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EUhUj1aL0yA

The group can stack 25 might immediately plus fury. If a group like that hits harder content and needs more healing/protective support, they will bring a guardian or ele.

Wow that is impressive damage. I don’t know if 4 of any other class can do that, I guess that is what the warrior excels at. Damage. However, I think that if you group together any of the same class like that, the results can be suprising. Damage does seem to stand out against NPC and in dungeons, but in wvw or spvp, I think some other professions can really shine when grouped, and even in PvE situations that involve many enemies. For example, 4 necros with constant aoe conditions, perma chill, constant fear, epidemic, and 25 stacks of vulnerability would be insane. 4 mesmers all spamming clones and illusions. Which one is real? 25 stacks of confusion and damage coming in from everywhere, seems like a tough fight. 4 rangers, every step you take is a trap, 25 stacks of bleed plus burn, poison, and chill distributed around. Perma regen and condi removal from all the healings springs. Entangle spam, 4 rampaging rangers with jags and QZ, 4 nature spirits giving 2k aoe regen a second. Seems nice thinking about all of that.

Well, here’s a guardian in the same group setup. Sadly, the profession that is heavily support focused can outdps us as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ac2NGGjjPsU

Even with full berserker gear, a ranger won’t deal this kind of damage largely because the game is designed to favor melee…

…which would be fine if we had a melee build that could dps like this, but the only melee builds we have for PvE pretty much require a serious investment into Wilderness Survival and/or Nature Magic for toughness/vitality.

Way to sadden everyone here.

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

Also, if you’re still unclear on it, this is why people make groups with 4x warrior + 1 mesmer:

The group can stack 25 might immediately plus fury. If a group like that hits harder content and needs more healing/protective support, they will bring a guardian or ele.

Wow that is impressive damage. I don’t know if 4 of any other class can do that, I guess that is what the warrior excels at. Damage. However, I think that if you group together any of the same class like that, the results can be suprising. Damage does seem to stand out against NPC and in dungeons, but in wvw or spvp, I think some other professions can really shine when grouped, and even in PvE situations that involve many enemies. For example, 4 necros with constant aoe conditions, perma chill, constant fear, epidemic, and 25 stacks of vulnerability would be insane. 4 mesmers all spamming clones and illusions. Which one is real? 25 stacks of confusion and damage coming in from everywhere, seems like a tough fight. 4 rangers, every step you take is a trap, 25 stacks of bleed plus burn, poison, and chill distributed around. Perma regen and condi removal from all the healings springs. Entangle spam, 4 rampaging rangers with jags and QZ, 4 nature spirits giving 2k aoe regen a second. Seems nice thinking about all of that.

Well, here’s a guardian in the same group setup. Sadly, the profession that is heavily support focused can outdps us as well:

Even with full berserker gear, a ranger won’t deal this kind of damage largely because the game is designed to favor melee…

…which would be fine if we had a melee build that could dps like this, but the only melee builds we have for PvE pretty much require a serious investment into Wilderness Survival and/or Nature Magic for toughness/vitality.

I will honestly argue that. A feline pet plus damage specced ranger under time warp. Jag stealth, Rao, and Sick ’em. I think a ranger can put out similar to that guardian

I would love to see the video of this.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Jazenn.7526

Jazenn.7526

@ Dante

I think you meant me. If you could link my a way to make a vid thats free I will do it (i’m not too computer savvy lol). I do not think my ranger LB/GS had dmg on par with every other class. The closest thing to relate it too is like scepter/dagger ele but with more CC and survivability.

Thats my point, aside from the fact that Ive yet to see a viable longbow ranger in paids or any form of pvp, ranger is the only class who cant go balls out glass cannon, and profit from it. Like I said, every other class can change up a few utilities and gain tons of survivability and self healing without sacrificing damage. Ranger sacrifices damage via pet or traits. Or sacrifices survivability via traits/armor setup/pets. If you try going inbetween with a non condi build, ur crap. Before I mastered my 100nades engi while I was still playing my ranger, I felt evasion tanks were the best 1v1 build in this game, now I murder even the best evasion tanks or trap rangers out there quite easily. However since 100nades is focused on landing burst I have to kite alot against better players but I almost always end with the kill. Rangers need a petless option, and some reworking of longbow while some damage buffing of GS.

I doubt GC engi, guardian, or necro would far much better trying to GC everything. 100nade is not easy to play but gratz, has nothing to do with the performance of the ranger though. You simply found something you enjoy more. Every spec choice is a sacrifice of something else.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

I will honestly argue that. A feline pet plus damage specced ranger under time warp. Jag stealth, Rao, and Sick ’em. I think a ranger can put out similar to that guardian

I would love to see the video of this.

Me too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Hey guys. I have played Ranger since beta. I have played enough of the other classes to know the extent of what they can do. However, with so much time spent on the Ranger I believe I have tried every build out there. I mean every build. Seriously, I’ve run GS/spirits in PvP before (it was decent).

So besides the fact that spirits suck in PvE for the most part and axe offhand isn’t Ideal. What problems do you have with the ranger? I will help you solve them.

Warrior brings more dps to dungeon runs and ele/mesmer bring more utility.

Why bring a ranger if you can bring a warrior or mesmer instead? I mean, if you can’t fine one of those a guardian or ele is still better than a ranger.

Even if the ranger goes melee, they still can’t touch the dps of a warrior and are a lot squishier unless they trait enough survival talents and lose even more dps.

Because you insta-death with warrior. duh?

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Ive done it, and no its not the same damage for serveral reasons, melee hits harder, ranger melee is weaker than guardian or warriors. Pet would probably die in that fight with 1 aoe. Jag only does crazy damage for 6 sec stealth.

in Ranger

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

From my perspective as I main a guardian since launch and now alt as a ranger. Rangers are pretty kitten good. It takes a higher lvl of skill and managing your pet to make it awesome though. You must always be aware of the surroundings and able to use your skills and pet at the right time.

Ranger is definitely not a no brainer class like the warrior. Even harder to play properly then the Guardian.

Rangers have a bad reputation because the learning curve has is quite steep and people have not quite figured out the tactics and strategies to use them effectively.

Versatility is a rangers friend. The ranger can do everything well. without having to change builds. Just limit yourself to being a 1 trick pony.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I don’t think so because A) the pet wouldn’t get the might boons if the whole group was within range unless you had fortified bond and jaguars are pretty much 1-shot by everything, even with 30 in BM.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

There are videos in WvW of any class but the Ranger, and Engineer killing 20-50 players with only four of them. When will you provide a video that compares for the Ranger?

There are videos in WvW of Thieves fighting 1v20, or 1v30, scoring kills, and staying alive for a long time, sometimes getting away. When will you provide a video that compares for the Ranger?

There are videos of Warriors soloing boss mobs groups have issues with. When will you provide a video that compares for the Ranger?

The fastest dungeon runs have been done with 4 Warriors, with videos to prove it. When will you provide a video that compares for the Ranger?

It’s easy to say you can do something, but there is no proof. If it can be done, and you know this, then provide the proof. The biggest issues that revolve around the Ranger are in WvW, and their lack of utility compared to other classes, on top of the lack of group buffage in WvW, that other classes provide, without giving up much, if anything at all.

On those first three, hopefully never. That is stupid, OP, and I highly doubt it is intended to be done. On fast dungeon runs, I doubt it. Damage matters more in many dungeons. Warrior exceeds not only ranger in that aspect, but every other class as well, since the NPC’s facetank all the damage. It is the advantage of the warrior. Gratz, you finished the dungeon 5 minutes faster than other classes. Want a trophy?

If you want to see proof of rangers doing well, go to youtube, I don’t want to do make a proof video, I enjoy watching others who choose to put forth that effort. I will make a video at some point probably just showing some gameplay. I am not the type to test either, and I don’t see you providing video proof that the ranger can’t. Look around these forums, other forums, in-game, or on youtube. Plenty of rangers play the game fine, despite any issues the class has.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Ive done it, and no its not the same damage for serveral reasons, melee hits harder, ranger melee is weaker than guardian or warriors. Pet would probably die in that fight with 1 aoe. Jag only does crazy damage for 6 sec stealth.

The NPC went down in the span of 1 time warp. Less than 15 seconds. One pet, and especially two can easily survive that long, that combined with the quick hits of the ranger sword can add up to impressive damage.. I don’t think the ranger will out dps the warriors in that test, but the guardian, I could see that.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

I don’t think so because A) the pet wouldn’t get the might boons if the whole group was within range unless you had fortified bond and jaguars are pretty much 1-shot by everything, even with 30 in BM.

Well… then fortifying bond lol. Might stacking from sigils, Rao, and sword as well. Wouldn’t be 25 stacks as quickly, but still. And no, you underestimate pet sturdyiness. I had a jungle stalker survive hits from lupicus yesterday. Not all the hits of course, but not one shot lol.

EDIT: and that was with 15 in BM

(edited by Jazenn.7526)

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

From my perspective as I main a guardian since launch and now alt as a ranger. Rangers are pretty kitten good. It takes a higher lvl of skill and managing your pet to make it awesome though. You must always be aware of the surroundings and able to use your skills and pet at the right time.

Ranger is definitely not a no brainer class like the warrior. Even harder to play properly then the Guardian.

Rangers have a bad reputation because the learning curve has is quite steep and people have not quite figured out the tactics and strategies to use them effectively.

Versatility is a rangers friend. The ranger can do everything well. without having to change builds. Just limit yourself to being a 1 trick pony.

Poor naive casual.

no, just shut up.

Wow inbred knows 3 words. Sorry but ele and engineer have a much higher skillcap than ranger, its not about skill cap, because even once mastered its still crap. I play a guardian too and have little to know problem with any form of ranger, so before you start spouting l2p crap you should probably know your place and l2p yourself.

“poor naive casual” same as you bro.

Wow your comeback was clever. I mean, you being casual makes everyone better than you a casual right? I mean, Im rank 44 in pvp, with 3 lvl 80s and several 70s because Im casual right? Hell the pvp rank is lower than it would be had I not taken a break from pvp to lvl, Id be rank 60 if I cared. I could show the thousands of pvp matches played with each toon I have to verify my xp. Im betting you couldnt.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Well… then fortifying bond lol. Might stacking from sigils, Rao, and sword as well. Wouldn’t be 25 stacks as quickly, but still. And no, you underestimate pet sturdyiness. I had a jungle stalker survive hits from lupicus yesterday. Not all the hits of course, but not one shot lol.

Did you have a heal up? Did you have prot up? There are always variables. Did you pull your pet back after that first hit? Even if your pet didnt die in 1 hit, taking 90% of its hp out with 1 hit is still stupid. Pets are worse in dungeons than they are in pvp, and thats bad.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Poor naive casual.

no, just shut up.

Wow inbred knows 3 words. Sorry but ele and engineer have a much higher skillcap than ranger, its not about skill cap, because even once mastered its still crap. I play a guardian too and have little to know problem with any form of ranger, so before you start spouting l2p crap you should probably know your place and l2p yourself.

Wow your comeback was clever. I mean, you being casual makes everyone better than you a casual right? I mean, Im rank 44 in pvp, with 3 lvl 80s and several 70s because Im casual right? Hell the pvp rank is lower than it would be had I not taken a break from pvp to lvl, Id be rank 60 if I cared. I could show the thousands of pvp matches played with each toon I have to verify my xp. Im betting you couldnt.

Be humble man. The amount of time you spend on the game doesn’t make you better than those who haven’t spent as much time. I bet you are pretty skilled at the game though and your achievements are applaudable. Lets please not result to insults or bragging despite disagreement.

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Once you’ve invested 15 in nature magic and 15 into BM, you don’t have much left to invest into glass cannon traits and one of the reasons that Warriors blow everyone else out of the water is that they can survive even after they throw everything into damage dealing talents while maxing out precision and crit damage.

As for pet survival, you can get them to survive some stuff with the right pet management, but even with the best tactics, you won’t get damage out of them the same as a player. Until pets learn to strafe to attack a mob from behind or to dodge attacks instead of completely running out, you will always have a big drain on dps by relying on a pet, even if you can pull off somethign decent in ideal conditions.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Did you have a heal up? Did you have prot up? There are always variables. Did you pull your pet back after that first hit? Even if your pet didnt die in 1 hit, taking 90% of its hp out with 1 hit is still stupid. Pets are worse in dungeons than they are in pvp, and thats bad.

About 50% of the time with HS, yes, and lots of prot and regen from fortifying bond. I pulled him back occasionally to avoid pbaoe. And no, it wasn’t 90% either, it was somewhere around 50% I think, maybe slightly less than. I agree there is a dungeon issue with pets. But there is such thing as over-exaggerating the issue.

in Ranger

Lighter.5631

Poor naive casual.

no, just shut up.

says the guy who use poor naive casual as comeback, oh and sorry, i didn’t mean that i was a casual, just pointing out your clever comeback.

“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I didn’t read much of the thread, but I have two major gripes with the ranger.

First: Pets. Pets, pets, pets. They require an unnecessary amount of micromanagement just to avoid being completely useless altogether. It’s great when I can swap to my sword/greatsword, hit QZ, and burst down a target alongside my trusty jaguar. But how often is my jaguar not floundering around uselessly? How often is it sitting in passive mode so it doesn’t get instagibbed by some PBAoE? It’s not just jaguars either. All pets have serious flaws that the developers seem content to ignore.

Second: Condition removal. Beyond healing spring and the rather mediocre signet of renewal, we have empathic bond, which was never very good, even before it got “nerfed.” It still requires your pet to be alive to take conditions from you, your pet has to be within ~1200 range of you, and now those transferred conditions will likely kill your pet. Rangers are survivalists, if anything, they should be the class with the most condition removal. Instead, we have some of the weakest condition removal.

Those are my issues at the moment. And they’re severe enough to cause me to not enjoy playing my ranger. Jumping into a pack of heavy condition wielding mobs, burning through my 2-3 condition removals, and then getting downed by more conditions is just not a fun experience. Meanwhile, my pet has wandered off to go gnaw on the leg of a risen giant, and my guardian is like…conditions? what are those?

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Once you’ve invested 15 in nature magic and 15 into BM, you don’t have much left to invest into glass cannon traits and one of the reasons that Warriors blow everyone else out of the water is that they can survive even after they throw everything into damage dealing talents while maxing out precision and crit damage.

As for pet survival, you can get them to survive some stuff with the right pet management, but even with the best tactics, you won’t get damage out of them the same as a player. Until pets learn to strafe to attack a mob from behind or to dodge attacks instead of completely running out, you will always have a big drain on dps by relying on a pet, even if you can pull off somethign decent in ideal conditions.

Actually you do. Still 40 points to be distributed. What you have to take into consideration when optimizing ranger damage is your pet as well, which is also given help by traits.

Yes, your dps will drop when your pet dies. By keeping your pet alive longer, switching before death, and keeping constant combined damage, you can in my opinion outweigh that temporary dps drop with the damage you get from when it is alive. Outside of dungeons, my pets die a lot less as well. And again, in that video, if you replace the guardian with a ranger, I’m saying that the ranger is able to do better than the guardian. Your pet won’t die in that 15 seconds, the npc barely had time to attack, so in that context survivability is negligible. In dungeons in general though, I AGREE that pets have survivability issues due to very little damage mitigation or avoidance.

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Actually you do. Still 40 points to be distributed. What you have to take into consideration when optimizing ranger damage is your pet as well, which is also given help by traits.

Yes, your dps will drop when your pet dies. By keeping your pet alive longer, switching before death, and keeping constant combined damage, you can in my opinion outweigh that temporary dps drop with the damage you get from when it is alive. Outside of dungeons, my pets die a lot less as well. And again, in that video, if you replace the guardian with a ranger, I’m saying that the ranger is able to do better than the guardian. Your pet won’t die in that 15 seconds, the npc barely had time to attack, so in that context survivability is negligible. In dungeons in general though, I AGREE that pets have survivability issues due to very little damage mitigation or avoidance.

Compared to warrior that can fill both their power and crit trees.

With 40 points, you either don’t max your precision/crit damage (biggest source of damage from stats) or you miss out on piercing arrows. Either that or you try to run melee and get torn to shreds without a significant investment in defensive stats.

in Ranger

Lighter.5631

With 40 points, you either don’t max your precision/crit damage (biggest source of damage from stats) or you miss out on piercing arrows. Either that or you try to run melee and get torn to shreds without a significant investment in defensive stats.

Or maybe you should try melee yourself as a warrior with power and precision maxed out.

-Excalibur.9748

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

I didn’t read much of the thread, but I have two major gripes with the ranger.

First: Pets. Pets, pets, pets. They require an unnecessary amount of micromanagement just to avoid being completely useless altogether. It’s great when I can swap to my sword/greatsword, hit QZ, and burst down a target alongside my trusty jaguar. But how often is my jaguar not floundering around uselessly? How often is it sitting in passive mode so it doesn’t get instagibbed by some PBAoE? It’s not just jaguars either. All pets have serious flaws that the developers seem content to ignore.

Second: Condition removal. Beyond healing spring and the rather mediocre signet of renewal, we have empathic bond, which was never very good, even before it got “nerfed.” It still requires your pet to be alive to take conditions from you, your pet has to be within ~1200 range of you, and now those transferred conditions will likely kill your pet. Rangers are survivalists, if anything, they should be the class with the most condition removal. Instead, we have some of the weakest condition removal.

Those are my issues at the moment. And they’re severe enough to cause me to not enjoy playing my ranger. Jumping into a pack of heavy condition wielding mobs, burning through my 2-3 condition removals, and then getting downed by more conditions is just not a fun experience. Meanwhile, my pet has wandered off to go gnaw on the leg of a risen giant, and my guardian is like…conditions? what are those?

Pets do not take too much management. Going into a fight with an idea for your build should be mandatory. At that point it is pressing 4 buttons with pretty simple commands when you need it. Attack. Retreat. Use utility skill. Switch. This and glancing at the hp is not very difficult in my opinion. I guess I am used to it, maybe it takes practice. Yes, AoE sucks, but that alone does not strike down the pet. In sPvP and WvW, noone even targets your pet. AoE is the only thing that will hit it. I don’t recommend putting a pet on passive except during certain boss fights. In that case keep em close and use for buffs.

Conditions are an tough, yea. Emp bond was fixed, all conditions gone every 10 seconds is a little OP. I will suffer the nerf too though because I used that trait. But we still have the signet, pets, and HS that remove conditions. If you really don’t want condtions, use runes, sigils, and consumables to further combat them. Yes guardians and ele’s can wave away conditions easy, but not every class can. We aren’t the best in this aspect but I don’t think we are the worst. For example, I have heard Mesmer has bad condition removal.

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Or maybe you should try melee yourself as a warrior with power and precision maxed out.

So I could do this?

Tempting, but I’m rolling mesmer. They’re a class worth bringing and they’re fun to play too.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

I was not comparing to the warrior. I think the warrior has the most damage in the game. I was talking about the guardian. I think the ranger damage is comparable if not better to guardian dps in the circumstances of that video, and beyond that even.

With 40 points, I can miss out on piercing arrows, especially for the purposes of that video, or I can miss out on a small portion of crit damage and chance that with gear and consumables can still be pretty high. As a result my pet damage increases, and my jag goes from hitting 3-4k to 8k.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Poor naive casual.

no, just shut up.

Be humble man. The amount of time you spend on the game doesn’t make you better than those who haven’t spent as much time. I bet you are pretty skilled at the game though and your achievements are applaudable. Lets please not result to insults or bragging despite disagreement.

Has nothing to do with humility or bragging. Im stating facts. Ive got experience, he doesnt. That was what it was entirely about. He is speaking out of his kitten trying to act as tho they are facts, Im stating my opinion and backing it up with experience. Ive also got friends who can back me up since they played ranger, mastered it, then mastered another class only to never touch ranger again.

in Ranger

Lighter.5631

So I could do this?

Tempting, but I’m rolling mesmer. They’re a class worth bringing and they’re fun to play too.

If you are actually up to date, you would know that this (Buggy) build is no longer viable.

-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

It isnt just warriors, my engi, thief, and guardian can all survive incredibly well after putting everything into GC stats/traits. Ranger cant. Ele cant(but can do it better than ranger due to mist form and ride the lightning).

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

About 50% of the time with HS, yes, and lots of prot and regen from fortifying bond. I pulled him back occasionally to avoid pbaoe. And no, it wasn’t 90% either, it was somewhere around 50% I think, maybe slightly less than. I agree there is a dungeon issue with pets. But there is such thing as over-exaggerating the issue.

Normally, rangers are great in normal pve, but no dungeon bosses 1 shot my pet most of the time. I run squishy pets tho but they shouldnt get 1-2 shotted or killed in seconds. By pulling your pet back you lose a huge chunk of damage, either way my problem isnt with pve, idc about pve, pvp is where its at and there pets are more of an issue than a solution.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

It isnt just warriors, my engi, thief, and guardian can all survive incredibly well after putting everything into GC stats/traits. Ranger cant. Ele cant(but can do it better than ranger due to mist form and ride the lightning).

Eh I still disagree. I think Chronix on youtube has some sPvP vids of him running glassy ranger.

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

I was not comparing to the warrior. I think the warrior has the most damage in the game. I was talking about the guardian. I think the ranger damage is comparable if not better to guardian dps in the circumstances of that video, and beyond that even.

With 40 points, I can miss out on piercing arrows, especially for the purposes of that video, or I can miss out on a small portion of crit damage and chance that with gear and consumables can still be pretty high. As a result my pet damage increases, and my jag goes from hitting 3-4k to 8k.

So, if you sacrifice the ability to hit more than one target (inherent in warrior melee damage), survivability, and bring a pet squishier than a thief, you might, MAYBE, be able to do as much damage as a class that will inherently heal, buff, and survive damage better than you can, even if you bring healing spring.

Not a very good argument imo.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Poor naive casual.

no, just shut up.

says the guy who use poor naive casual as comeback, oh and sorry, i didn’t mean that i was a casual, just pointing out your clever comeback.

Troll on, Im done with you. You bring nothing to the conversation so go about your day and dont bother me again.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Normally, rangers are great in normal pve, but no dungeon bosses 1 shot my pet most of the time. I run squishy pets tho but they shouldnt get 1-2 shotted or killed in seconds. By pulling your pet back you lose a huge chunk of damage, either way my problem isnt with pve, idc about pve, pvp is where its at and there pets are more of an issue than a solution.

You lose less damage than letting the pet die. I also enjoy pvp though, and I think pets have less issues there.

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

It’s a heated debate and after this patch, we’re all a bit sore, but let’s refrain from personal attacks, eh?

in Ranger

Lighter.5631

Poor naive casual.

no, just shut up.

Troll on, Im done with you. You bring nothing to the conversation so go about your day and dont bother me again.

OK, so i’m a troll now for pointing out your ignorant comments, go on if you please, but i’m done with you

-Excalibur.9748

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Eh I still disagree. I think Chronix on youtube has some sPvP vids of him running glassy ranger.

Post them then.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

You lose less damage than letting the pet die. I also enjoy pvp though, and I think pets have less issues there.

No I agree, dont let your pet die, my point is you have to pull pet back to avoid letting it die, by doing so you lose damage. Other classes just dodge the attack and go back, they dont lose any real dps aside from the dodge roll.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

So, if you sacrifice the ability to hit more than one target (inherent in warrior melee damage), survivability, and bring a pet squishier than a thief, you might, MAYBE, be able to do as much damage as a class that will inherently heal, buff, and survive damage better than you can, even if you bring healing spring.

Also inherent in ranger sword, greatsword, and axe. That’s why we have two weapon sets. And I doubt that guardian was specced for all of that. Your argument isn’t very good in my opinion either. I have more confidence in the pet I guess.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

No I agree, dont let your pet die, my point is you have to pull pet back to avoid letting it die, by doing so you lose damage. Other classes just dodge the attack and go back, they dont lose any real dps aside from the dodge roll.

True. But how much of a loss is this? Is it enough to make the ranger put out less damage than other classes? (Besides warrior and thief)

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Also inherent in ranger sword, greatsword, and axe. That’s why we have two weapon sets. And I doubt that guardian was specced for all of that. Your argument isn’t very good in my opinion either. I have more confidence in the pet I guess.

You won’t survive using a sword or greatsword in a glass cannon build, and you’ll never put out decent numbers using an axe.

The guardian in the video was using a scepter to drop Smite, an AoE ability, then switching to the greatsword, which naturally cleaves and drops AoE damage.

in Ranger

Lighter.5631

True. But how much of a loss is this? Is it enough to make the ranger put out less damage than other classes? (Besides warrior and thief)

I love how i saw people saying that warrior can’t put out enough damage compare to ranger without a build that gets you insta killed in melee and here i see this.

-Excalibur.9748

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Its quite a big loss. Think about it, pet takes big hit, you pull said pet back, it has to heal, while it heals your damage is very low compared to other classes, you send pet back in for a few secs before you have to pull it back out. That sounds fun to you?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

1. Why when i press F3 my pet doesn’t run directly to me, in a straight line? It sometimes makes almost a square before coming to me.
2. How to keep my pet alive when a boss throws some aoe bombs(for example) directly on himself? It’s insta kill for my pet and pressing F3 can’t save it because runing cant save it from the damage.
3. Why Sick’em makes me lose control of my pet?
4. Do you think spirits suck?
5. Why, a BM ranger, has all those nice traits in MM and so few good ones in BM? (BM minors are great though)
6. Why do you think ANet put traps in the prec/crit dmg tree?

Sry for bad english.

(edited by Chicho Gosho.6507)

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

1. Why when i press F3 my pet doesn’t run directly to me, in a straight line? It sometimes makes almost a square before coming to me.
2. How to keep my pet alive when a boss throws some aoe bombs(for example) directly on himself? It’s insta kill for my pet and pressing F3 can’t save it because runing cant save it from the damage.
5. Why, a BM ranger, has all those nice traits in MM and so few good ones in BM? (BM minors are great though)

Honestly there are no answers to those. I doubt even anet knows wtf they are doing with ranger.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

You won’t survive using a sword or greatsword in a glass cannon build, and you’ll never put out decent numbers using an axe.

The guardian in the video was using a scepter to drop Smite, an AoE ability, then switching to the greatsword, which naturally cleaves and drops AoE damage.

I mean specced for survivability, not aoe damage. But you can actually survive like that. Not saying this guy is the best ranger ever, but just for reference purposes I will mention Chronix again(also don’t underestimate axe lol, it’s single target damage is lackluster but against multiple it is not bad at all). Sword does a crap load of damage, if you wanted cleave as an option in would be an excellent choice. Combined with dagger it has three skills used to avoid damage. Combined with dodges and utility skills, you can find survivablility. Don’t know how survivable that guardian in the video was, I’m betting he was specced for damage.

Also, that video was against one npc, which is my context here. Against a group of say 5 mobs, I still think a ranger can pull out traps and axe/torch to outdo the guardian.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Its quite a big loss. Think about it, pet takes big hit, you pull said pet back, it has to heal, while it heals your damage is very low compared to other classes, you send pet back in for a few secs before you have to pull it back out. That sounds fun to you?

It shouldn’t take but 3 seconds at most I think. With the high damage of say a jaguar I think that is an okay trade off.

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

I mean specced for survivability, not aoe damage. But you can actually survive like that. Not saying this guy is the best ranger ever, but just for reference purposes I will mention Chronix again(also don’t underestimate axe lol, it’s single target damage is lackluster but against multiple it is not bad at all). Sword does a crap load of damage, if you wanted cleave as an option in would be an excellent choice. Combined with dagger it has three skills used to avoid damage. Combined with dodges and utility skills, you can find survivablility. Don’t know how survivable that guardian in the video was, I’m betting he was specced for damage.

Also, that video was against one npc, which is my context here. Against a group of say 5 mobs, I still think a ranger can pull out traps and axe/torch to outdo the guardian.

It all comes down to this: If you build your ranger into a single target glass cannon with a pet that’s even squishier, you maybe, just maybe, will pull off equivalent dps to a guardian that will do the same damage while cleaving, healing and surviving better…

…which is why people try to avoid taking rangers when possible.

As for Chronix’s videos, that’s PvP. I’m talking dungeon PvE here.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Sry for bad english.

1. It does that? I never noticed… I can’t answer that.
2. Has been addressed the best it can already in the thread.
3. Once again, I haven’t noticed this. Can you not use f1 or f3 during the time? I never noticed this. Usually when you sick a pet loose though, you are setting it from your control to go crazy. If it does do this I can understand it, but I never try to interrupt the skill anyway.
4. I think they are sub-par. They either need a lower ICD or more survivability in my opinon. Not completely unusable though, you will find spirit rangers every now and then.
5. What nice traits in MM are needed for a BM build? The pet condition duration one might pass, but even that matches in MM because of the condition duration stat. BM line is focused on the pet, and all of the skills show that. They aren’t bad really, when added up they can be very nice bonus’s ex. perma vigor or extra regen.
6. They must believe traps to be a skirmishing type utility. The WM line contains boost to the Survival utilities, which honestly match well with the toughness in the line. Not enough room for two sets of utilities maybe? It does help synergy though in a different way, when trap rangers want the condition damage for traps, they are also getting some toughness and survivability they would otherwise need. Maybe though traps can be optimized with the extra cond. damage, they don’t require it and were therefore put into a different line. What if a ranger wanted to run traps but didn’t want to spec that line? Then there would be a whole nother complaint. Can’t answer this perfectly, as I am not Anet.

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

It all comes down to this: If you build your ranger into a single target glass cannon with a pet that’s even squishier, you maybe, just maybe, will pull off equivalent dps to a guardian that will do the same damage while cleaving, healing and surviving better…

…which is why people try to avoid taking rangers when possible.

As for Chronix’s videos, that’s PvP. I’m talking dungeon PvE here.

I completely disagree. That video shows none of the guardian’s survivability potential, so we can’t really say. And I would think it is easier to survive in a dungeon than in pvp as a player. NPC’s are more predictable, facetank, and can only target one player at once outside of their aoe’s, which are also very avoidable. That is one reason why that video is so impressive and why NPC’s are given so much power and health. So if a ranger can survive in sPvP as GC, it should be equally or more possible to do it in PvE.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

1. It does that? I never noticed… I can’t answer that.
2. Has been addressed the best it can already in the thread.
3. Once again, I haven’t noticed this. Can you not use f1 or f3 during the time? I never noticed this. Usually when you sick a pet loose though, you are setting it from your control to go crazy. If it does do this I can understand it, but I never try to interrupt the skill anyway.
4. I think they are sub-par. They either need a lower ICD or more survivability in my opinon. Not completely unusable though, you will find spirit rangers every now and then.
5. What nice traits in MM are needed for a BM build? The pet condition duration one might pass, but even that matches in MM because of the condition duration stat. BM line is focused on the pet, and all of the skills show that. They aren’t bad really, when added up they can be very nice bonus’s ex. perma vigor or extra regen.
6. They must believe traps to be a skirmishing type utility. The WM line contains boost to the Survival utilities, which honestly match well with the toughness in the line. Not enough room for two sets of utilities maybe? It does help synergy though in a different way, when trap rangers want the condition damage for traps, they are also getting some toughness and survivability they would otherwise need. Maybe though traps can be optimized with the extra cond. damage, they don’t require it and were therefore put into a different line. What if a ranger wanted to run traps but didn’t want to spec that line? Then there would be a whole nother complaint. Can’t answer this perfectly, as I am not Anet.

2. Basically use a range pet if the boss has aoe or pray that when you dodge he’ll stay out of the red circle?
3. If you order your pet to do anything after using Sick’em the buff dissappears.
5. Incr movement speed, incr damage on crits, health on crits, might to the pet on crit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

This thread was started and sustained all based on total BS and simple gainsaying.

Show a high level fractal video or it’s all just hogwash.

Your “Is – Is Not – Is – Is Not” style of argument is pretty boring and childish.

Fractals are GW2’s litmus test for successful PVE builds.

Show us a ranger pulling their weight in a 10 or greater fractal or go home.

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.