Does anyone even like the sword auto lock?

in Ranger

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Try to remove all the crap like auto target and auto attack (ctrl + right mouse) and it will not lock you, sword is a very interesting weapon, with some practice it can be really enjoyable.

interesting = broken

Broken = L2p

L2P calling = stupidity. Do you know how or how good I play? Do you know anything about me? So who are you to judge my skills? I can handle sword, I still say it’s broken.
It’s broken because it offers few advantages at the expense of many disadvantages.

I know that when I started playing, I saw all the QQ about the Ranger best and most “hated” weapon. I could start QQ’ing as well straight away. I didn’t. Instead I listened to all the veteran ranger players that said with practice you can learn to melee every boss at the game with ranger sword.

Well guess what? I can now do it as well. After a few wipes in every boss, I know how they work, therefore I can pre-act even in those bosses where millisecs have a difference like in Archdiviner etc…

So no, the sword is not broken, it’s just different, and it’s what makes the game with a ranger more fun.

Again, “those that can, do. Those that can’t, complain.”

This kitten competition is all well and good, but at the end of the day…no matter what tips and tricks can be used to overcome issues with ranger 1h sword…it still is a poor mechanic to be unable to dodge due to an animation. Yes, there have been multiple mentions of turning off the auto attack feature on 1h sword…to prevent the auto lock, but that still is a work around to bypass an unappealing mechanic. Kudos for finding solutions to compensate/bypass the issue, but at the end of the day…the issue is still there.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I regularly use the sword in pvp, I am very familiar with how it works and I know how to use it effectively. I still think it is a broken weapon.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Try to remove all the crap like auto target and auto attack (ctrl + right mouse) and it will not lock you, sword is a very interesting weapon, with some practice it can be really enjoyable.

interesting = broken

Broken = L2p

L2P calling = stupidity. Do you know how or how good I play? Do you know anything about me? So who are you to judge my skills? I can handle sword, I still say it’s broken.
It’s broken because it offers few advantages at the expense of many disadvantages.

I know that when I started playing, I saw all the QQ about the Ranger best and most “hated” weapon. I could start QQ’ing as well straight away. I didn’t. Instead I listened to all the veteran ranger players that said with practice you can learn to melee every boss at the game with ranger sword.

Well guess what? I can now do it as well. After a few wipes in every boss, I know how they work, therefore I can pre-act even in those bosses where millisecs have a difference like in Archdiviner etc…

So no, the sword is not broken, it’s just different, and it’s what makes the game with a ranger more fun.

If your car window breaks you can use plasicbags and lots of tapes to fix it, as long as it’s not the windshield that breaks. It works but it’s nowhere good. You can learn how to time your dodges with the sword AA. It works but it’s nowhere good.

Same with the pet AI: You can make it work, however that doesn’t mean it’s flawless.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

in Ranger

Posted by: Gabe.6810

Gabe.6810

I don’t use Sword in PvE unless I’m 1v1- most of the PvE stuff is AoE anyway so I find using Greatsword is my best friend anyway.

I do use Sword in PvP and it makes annoying opponents a lot easier.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

interesting = broken

Broken = L2p

If your car window breaks you can use plasicbags and lots of tapes to fix it, as long as it’s not the windshield that breaks. It works but it’s nowhere good. You can learn how to time your dodges with the sword AA. It works but it’s nowhere good.

Same with the pet AI: You can make it work, however that doesn’t mean it’s flawless.

I don’t get what you’re trying to say. Once you learn to evade stuff with sword, you do not have any disadvantage.

“It works but it’s nowehre good” ? what does that mean? With sword equiped a ranger is huge damage boost to the group.

Just because people do not like the leaps, and are too lazy to learn how to use it, it does not mean that the weapon is broken.

in Ranger

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

Not wanting to get carpal tunnel /= lazy

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

interesting = broken

Broken = L2p

I don’t get what you’re trying to say. Once you learn to evade stuff with sword, you do not have any disadvantage.

“It works but it’s nowehre good” ? what does that mean? With sword equiped a ranger is huge damage boost to the group.

Just because people do not like the leaps, and are too lazy to learn how to use it, it does not mean that the weapon is broken.

The sword was designed to give the maximum mobility. 5 out of 6 skills do move the player. But by trying to give the weapon more mobility, the devs have ultimatively cut mobility.
The weapon does move you with almost every skill. The problem is that it moves you even when you don’t want it to. You can’t reposition yourself while leaping, you can’t cleave reliably, you can’t cancel the leaps other than through weaponswap or through an offhand skill. This gets intesified by the fact that the other skills of the sword do not synergise with the AA. They’re both not fast enough to be used as a reaction to your oponent.

The sword is a prime example of design decisions gone wrong.

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

The sword was designed to give the maximum mobility. 5 out of 6 skills do move the player. But by trying to give the weapon more mobility, the devs have ultimatively cut mobility.
The weapon does move you with almost every skill. The problem is that it moves you even when you don’t want it to. You can’t reposition yourself while leaping, you can’t cleave reliably, you can’t cancel the leaps other than through weaponswap or through an offhand skill. This gets intesified by the fact that the other skills of the sword do not synergise with the AA. They’re both not fast enough to be used as a reaction to your oponent.

The sword is a prime example of design decisions gone wrong.

I understand the points you are making, but I agree with yellow that the 1h sword skills are very useful, so I like the design where it is. However, one must turn auto-targeting off, and bind esc to a hot key to take advantage. I would recommend everyone do this in all game modes and all classes, for the most part, along with binding target nearest and target next.

When we can control the targeting, skill 2 gives excellent freedom of movement. Many times I’ll hit 2, change targets and leap to another. This is very useful in PvP and open world content and would be a shame to loose. You can also hit 2, hit esc, about face, and leap out of battle for swapping to ranged weapon. This is great for creating space (I love you guardians and ham-bash warriors :-))

Skill 3 allows you to evade, flip behind enemies who hit you in the back, and has several different rolling paths depending on the location of your target. I like this how it is as well. The leap finisher on skill 2 is very useful as well, when interacting with fire and water fields.

I do agree with your assessments when targeting is not micro managed. You can’t really control where you are going with 1h sword in this way. I think the developers gave all the auto targeting and auto attack options to make it easier on casual gameplay, but expect us to turn them off, for finer grained control.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

The sword is useful but still…. a love-hate relationship like some1 wrote before.

What i rly donĀ“t is the lack of a alternative weapon with equal dps. 17% to GS are too much.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I’ve thought about it for a very long time now (since issues with the 1h sword were first mentioned after the launch of the game).

I already gave my opinion on the first page, but what I’ve been pondering is “how would I change the 1h sword while leaving it thematically the same?”

So, that being said, I would:

• remove the leaps from the autoattack, but leave the functions the same. Speed up the transition for attack to attack (no more leaps), and backload the damage (same DPS) for potential balance concerns in non-PvE environments.
  • sword 2 would be a new 2 part skill: part 1: leap finisher, no evade, leaps forward and does damage/cripples. Part 2: leaps forward again, shorter distance, but more damage. Does not need number 1 to land to chain into part 2.
  • sword 3 would now also be a 2 part skill: part 1: same as current. Part 2: the leap back while evading that would basically be the current sword 2 part 1. Does not need part 1 to hit to chain into part 2. Less initial delay (and aftercast on part 1) so they can be “chained” together efficiently.

Anything less than this sort of change would absolutely ruin the weapon for me, and I personally already spoke on my thoughts and my enjoyment of the weapon, so I would be afraid that the “fixing what isn’t broken” (I don’t believe it to be broken, just possibly unnecessarily learning curve intensive) would end up just ruining the weapon entirely.

I mean, at least right now we have an option like it. Other classes have to work a lot harder to maintain DPS (I’d say we’re middle tier like everything else we’re middle tier at) or would kill for the utility the weapon gives us.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

@JC
Nice changes, would create a really cool, versatile dps weapon
Sword awesomeness

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

When you do easy stuff the lock-on-target is fine. But I really hate it when I need to dodge. You can turn of the 1-auto-attack, but hitting the 1 all the time sucks as well. So, as someone already mentioned, it’s a love-hate-relationship with ye good ol’ sword!

The sword – despite the hightes DPS – is an awkward weapon. That’s why I often just play the GS – kitten on the ‘meta’, you still do enough damage with GS and berserker stuff. Also I like the Maul and Swoop skills, nice to come around and do events in the open world.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

“how would I change the 1h sword while leaving it thematically the same?”

• remove the leaps from the autoattack, but leave the functions the same. Speed up the transition for attack to attack (no more leaps), and backload the damage (same DPS) for potential balance concerns in non-PvE environments.
  • sword 2 would be a new 2 part skill: part 1: leap finisher, no evade, leaps forward and does damage/cripples. Part 2: leaps forward again, shorter distance, but more damage. Does not need number 1 to land to chain into part 2.
  • sword 3 would now also be a 2 part skill: part 1: same as current. Part 2: the leap back while evading that would basically be the current sword 2 part 1. Does not need part 1 to hit to chain into part 2. Less initial delay (and aftercast on part 1) so they can be “chained” together efficiently.

I got some similar ideas a while ago:

Sword AA: Remove the leaps.
This is the only way I can think of to not hinder the player from moving/evading as he pleases.

Hornet Sting, Monarch’s Leap: 2 forward leaps (430, 300 units) and a third leap if an enemy got hit during the first two leaps (600 units). CD: 20 secs. Uptime: 10 seconds for the second leap, another 10 seconds for the third leap (if triggered). The target will be crippled.
The first two leaps are taken from the current AA, while the third leap, if an enemy has been struck during the first two leaps, offers additional mobility to keep up with the target. Ambient creatures can be used to trigger the third leap to gain more distance.

Serpent’s Strike: Evade in the direction you are currently running (200 units? A little bit shorter than a normal dodge) and leap towards your target (100 units further than the evade) immediately afterwards. If you haven’t targeted anyone, you’ll just evade backwards.
If you strafe right the skill will almost be the same as now. However it will be more versatile, since you can use it in any direction. It can also be used to gain distance by dodging forward, followed by a jump forward.

I would like to point out that the current AA, combined with sword #2, lets you travel a significant distance. To keep that travel distance, I’ve added a third leap to sword #2 that can only be activated if an enemy got struck during the first two leaps, just like the current AA, which also has to hit something first in order to get access to the leaps.

I agree with your suggestion regarding the AA and I’m also very interested in your ideas regarding sword #3. I think our suggestions regarding sword #3 can be combined to further enhance the player driven mobility of this weapon.

in Ranger

Yelloweyedemon.2860

You are all saying the same thing, and this thread is a simillar thread to all the “ranger sword AA” threads that have been here from the beginning.

YES, the sword is an awkward weapon to use (at least at the beginning when you start playing ranger). That does NOT mean it is broken. You can’t call something broken just because you don’t like it. Broken is something when it creates problems to your playstyle, and there’s nothing you can do about it. With sword, you can do much about it. The fact that every boss in the game can be melee’d by ranger sword proves that it is a player issue and not a weapon/game issue.

I’m not calling people that can’t use sword n00bs, but don’t expect that you will roll a ranger and you will be the very best like none ever was, in 5 dungeons time. It takes time. If you want facerolling roll a warrior.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

You are all saying the same thing, and this thread is a simillar thread to all the “ranger sword AA” threads that have been here from the beginning.

YES, the sword is an awkward weapon to use (at least at the beginning when you start playing ranger). That does NOT mean it is broken. You can’t call something broken just because you don’t like it. Broken is something when it creates problems to your playstyle, and there’s nothing you can do about it. With sword, you can do much about it. The fact that every boss in the game can be melee’d by ranger sword proves that it is a player issue and not a weapon/game issue.

Can you dodge while jumping? — No
Can you reposition yourself while jumping? — No
Can you cancel the AA while jumping? — No
Can you cleave reliably? — No
Do you push the enemy slowly but steadily back? — Yes
5 Arguments against the current AA chain.

Can you keep up with your enemy? — Yes
1 Argument for the current AA chain.
Just that PvE bosses don’t even run away from you in the first place.

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Just buff to GS to equal dps, or give rangers (and all classes aswell) new weapons. If we had another weapon (with same dps output) it would be no problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

It just bothers me that I can’t dodge during it since you’re in the air/leaping during the chain. Great for catching people who are running, not so much if I need on the spot dodging, although sword 3 is good for that. Either make it more of a rush so that you never leave the ground so that it can be cancelled, or maybe make it so the leap part is actually a leap finisher. Although a leap finisher on autoattack might be dangerous with such long water fields. But then again, Lightning Hammer has a blast on autoattack and eles have great water fields, don’t see that happening ever.

in Ranger

Yelloweyedemon.2860

So it’s broken because it’s not how you want it to be. This is what this thread is all about.

I’m not gonna reply anymore. Feel free to complain more about it because you don’t like it and it does not have many similarities with other class melee weapons.

Threads and issues like that is why rangers have such a terrible reputation in this game.

Cyas and have fun!

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Actually I think they found it was also interacting poorly with the game’s security at one time, not sure if it was ever truly fixed, but there it is.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I’ve thought about it for a very long time now (since issues with the 1h sword were first mentioned after the launch of the game).

I already gave my opinion on the first page, but what I’ve been pondering is “how would I change the 1h sword while leaving it thematically the same?”

Anything less than this sort of change would absolutely ruin the weapon for me, and I personally already spoke on my thoughts and my enjoyment of the weapon, so I would be afraid that the “fixing what isn’t broken” (I don’t believe it to be broken, just possibly unnecessarily learning curve intensive) would end up just ruining the weapon entirely.

I mean, at least right now we have an option like it. Other classes have to work a lot harder to maintain DPS (I’d say we’re middle tier like everything else we’re middle tier at) or would kill for the utility the weapon gives us.

Actually, sword needs only one change – allow dodge to override the chain of #1. Other than that, it’s pretty much perfect imho. I love the fact that you stick to your target like glue with it, and that you can choose to jump around between different enemies if you manually use #1 and time it right.

If I could wish though, here’s my take on the three skills:

#1:
Allow dodge to break the chain instantly, and by doing so, don’t restart the attack chain until you manually press #1 again.

#2:
Hornet Sting – activate the evade part of the skill instantly when you press the button
Monarch’s Leap – Change to combo finisher blast (remove cripple if a blast finisher is considered to powerful to balance the skill)

#3:
Fine as it is

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Bran.7425

Actually, sword needs only one change – allow dodge to override the chain of #1. Other than that, it’s pretty much perfect imho. I love the fact that you stick to your target like glue with it, and that you can choose to jump around between different enemies if you manually use #1 and time it right.

If I could wish though, here’s my take on the three skills:

#1:
Allow dodge to break the chain instantly, and by doing so, don’t restart the attack chain until you manually press #1 again.

#2:
Hornet Sting – activate the evade part of the skill instantly when you press the button
Monarch’s Leap – Change to combo finisher blast (remove cripple if a blast finisher is considered to powerful to balance the skill)

#3:
Fine as it is

I think that blast finisher (with certain fields) overshadow the other finishers.

Personally I would like to see the sword remain a sticky weapon and the evades built in are kind of part of the nature of the ranger (unfortunately dodge/evade being ultimate defenses cause issue and any extra make some people scream evade spam). So I would never see an evade on the hornet’s sting to go with the one on monarch’s leap.

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

So I would never see an evade on the hornet’s sting to go with the one on monarch’s leap.

Hmm, what do you mean?

in Ranger

Bran.7425

Have it evade on the return similarly to Evasion while swing on Swoop.

I don’t think they would add any additional dodges to the potential of the sword dagger set and Ranger get enough dodge spam (well does to design people think all we do is spam 1 as well.).

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

So it’s broken because it’s not how you want it to be. This is what this thread is all about.

I’m not gonna reply anymore. Feel free to complain more about it because you don’t like it and it does not have many similarities with other class melee weapons.

Threads and issues like that is why rangers have such a terrible reputation in this game.

Cyas and have fun!

It’s quite the opposite. Why do you feel so entitled to the sword that you can’t even admit its flaws?
Leaps have the downside that they can’t be interrupted, neither by moving, nor by dodging. This is fine but tying leaps to an AA chain is not. This leads to the state where you are half the tme leaping, ergo half the time not able to control your character.
Rather than dismissing this flaw you could make suggestions how to fix it while ensuring that your playstyle wont get hindered.

in Ranger

Posted by: Twelfth Knight.5698

Twelfth Knight.5698

Pretty much agree with this. The sword attack chain is one of the things I love about my ranger, but the one thing it needs (imo) is the ability to break the chain at any point with a dodge roll.

(edited by Twelfth Knight.5698)

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Question: Would adding one second of stealth to Hornet Sting (remove damage) make the sword too powerful? I’m mostly interested in finding ways for more weapons to work with Remorseless, even though I can also see the superb potential this would give the weapon when it comes to confusing opponents through invisible and quick repositioning (pvp).

in Ranger

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

how does ranger sword aa compares to thief sword aa in terms of damage vs a static target?

in Ranger

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

The sword lock-on would be fine if it didn’t prevent you from dodging when needed.

If I’m going to engage anyone in PvP from melee range, I need the ability to dodge exactly when I want to.

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

I don’t. But we don’t really have much of a choice.

I wish there were more weapon options honestly. A few years back people were recommending whips for Rangers, paralleling those Nightmare Court members in TA. It would be nice to have more main-hand options.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert