Does anyone like any of the master Traits?

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

These master Traits are all terrible:

• Second Skin only useful for builds with near-permanent protection.
  • Essense of Speed only useful for builds with a lot of boons and a lot of quickness application.
  • Predator’s Cunning only useful for builds with a lot of poison application

So unless you apply a lot of protection, quickness or poison, they’re worthless. How is that going to help the spec and build diversity?

How about this instead:
Second Skin Conditions inflect 33% less damage while in beastmode.
Essense of Speed 33% movement speed while in beastmode.
Predator’s Cunning Steal health from opponent while in beastmode.

Voila, done. Pack it up. Everyone happy.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Predator’s Cunning could be better by changing it from “Steal life when you apply poison.” to “Steal life when you strike a poisoned foe.”

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Is there an icd on Predator’s Cunning? Can’t remember. I like the idea of it, with the WS trait for poison, poison on sword, dagger, SB poison trap… Might fit well for constant attrition and sustain in a wvw trapper runes build.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’d like to see Second Skin become another source of Protection. Like "Take 33% less damage from conditions when you have Protection. Whenever you have 3 conditions, gain 3s of Protection. 6s CD or w/e something like that.

Essence of Speed could give Super Speed too.

Predator’s Cunning could be better by changing it from “Steal life when you apply poison.” to “Steal life when you strike a poisoned foe.”

As well as that, add in “If your target is not Poisoned, Poison them for 1s”

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Is there an icd on Predator’s Cunning?

No ICD on it.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

There just needs to be a master trait that could fit in almost any random build. Something like:
Natural Stride
Evasive Purity
Shared Anguish
Steady Focus
Celestial Shadow
Spotter
Protective Ward
Quick Draw
Empathic Bond

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah. Either more flexible traits or traits with synergy. Though, I’d keep Steady Focus out on that list – even Irenio corrected the Engineer minor trait that did the same thing. I believe stating that it didn’t make sense in a game where players have to dodge, and with traits that activate when dodging. (Looking at you, Light On Your Feet)

in Ranger

Holland.9351

Yes, but even Steady Focus has a bigger possibility of being useful.

I really think Essence of Speed should change. The other two master traits can fit in certain builds, but I really don’t see the point of this trait.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

How about Essence of Speed makes Quickness 50% more effective?

in Ranger

Holland.9351

That would be a much better effect than the current version, but you would still need to run quickness in your build.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

or get superspeed while have quickness

@woundrouswall: yes you’re right :P stupid idea of me

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

(edited by Aleksander Suburb.4287)

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

or get superspeed while have quickness

Wouldn’t that be kind of pointless with QZ and lesser QZ?

in Ranger

Holland.9351

I’d just like Essence of Speed to give 33% movement speed while in beastmode.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rap Tiger.1257

Rap Tiger.1257

I really agree with Holland, this part of the trait is completely useless to me, I do not use quickness, nor protection other than the eternal bond, and I do not use poison … and I end up being harmed having to choose the less worse it is second skin, Even if it does not suit me much

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

That would be a much better effect than the current version, but you would still need to run quickness in your build.

Dagger 3, Zephyrs Speed, QZ, Live Fast, Sigil of Agility etc… OR, you know, when playing with a chrono or firebrand.

in Ranger

Posted by: niconori.7235

niconori.7235

I don’t use any of the master traits. Please anet, give us something on this tier that is applicable to all if not most builds. Preferably something that can synergize with the whole Soulbeast specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

Is there an icd on Predator’s Cunning?

No ICD on it.

It goes by stack of poison too. Poison Volley for example triggers the trait five times.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Aleksander Suburb.4287

predators cunning looks nice, but it is too low. If I remeber correctly it was 4 health more with 300 more healing attribute … -.-
It would be nice if every second attack would bring a poison or every poison tick would heal.

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

I indeed did not like any of the master traits, and also the Grandmaster traits seem to be a bit underwhelming.

in Ranger

Posted by: Skuzz.6580

Skuzz.6580

How about this instead:

I don’t know about you, but I don’t intend to stay in Beastmode very long.. there is literally no benefit in staying in beastmode after you have done all the abilities, better off going out of beastmode, swap pets, and go in again

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

I really like them. What I dislike are more the adept/grandmaster traits.

Especially Predator’s Cunning feels great and heals for a ton in the right build. Judging from this thread most people lack the ability to test stuff properly. It actually heals almost 5k with a single Viper’s Nest (given that you hit 3 targets with 3 ticks but that isn’t that craszy hard on point). Just doing stuff like sword 3 and dagger 4 or shortbow 2 will still give you about 1k hp. This trait is good.

(edited by Dojo.1867)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Especially Predator’s Cunning feels great and heals for a ton in the right build. Judging from this thread most people lack the ability to test stuff properly. It actually heals almost 5k with a single Viper’s Nest (given that you hit 3 targets with 3 ticks but that isn’t that craszy hard on point). Just doing stuff like sword 3 and dagger 4 or shortbow 2 will still give you about 1k hp. This trait is good.

Just because a trait can work well in a specific build, under specific conditions, doesn’t make it a good trait. I have no doubt Predator’s Cunning can be good.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hidden Dragon.7523

Hidden Dragon.7523

These master Traits are all terrible:

• Second Skin only useful for builds with near-permanent protection.
  • Essense of Speed only useful for builds with a lot of boons and a lot of quickness application.
  • Predator’s Cunning only useful for builds with a lot of poison application

So unless you apply a lot of protection, quickness or poison, they’re worthless. How is that going to help the spec and build diversity?

How about this instead:

I do definitely agree that some of these traits make no sense in there.

Second Skin
I believe it’s in a good spot, changing it to 33% while in beast mode means you can get a permanent condition damage reduction, which I reckon is OP. You can trait this one nicely with protective ward and eternal bond + you can add in ‘protect me’ for decent protection uptime.

Essence of Speed
Now this one, I’m not really a big fan of. Cause you’d have to apply quickness and then cast all your buffs. It doesn’t really do what it states → ‘when you gain quickness, it increases the duration of other boons affecting you’ → but it doesn’t affect the boons already on you, you have to cast all the boons whilst ‘gaining’ quickness. Tooltip kinda sucks and it’s hard to sometimes get the right sequence to maximise its potential. Swap this out for something better ArenaNet. Suggestion: perhaps something that helps improve ranger stances instead e.g. cooldown/duration?

Predator’s Cunning
Clearly a cool idea, but in practice not really as useful. I did try to get this crazy healing build using Natural Healing, Shouts with Regen/Protection, Signet of Renewal, and Predator’s cunning while running Shortbot + Dagger/Dagger, making you quite a hard kill. But the life siphoning from this skill is just not as good as a second skin that can mitigate far more damage. Why not change it from ‘apply’ to siphon per per tick of poison that’s already applied (with perhaps a maximum number of targets 1-2). Would make more sense to me anyway).

my two cents on these traits.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Dagger 3, Zephyrs Speed, QZ, Live Fast, Sigil of Agility etc… OR, you know, when playing with a chrono or firebrand.

It might be the least versatile Master trait… but it sure is sexy with traited Sword.

in Ranger

niconori.7235

Essence of Speed trait is so bad as a master trait I hope it switches place with Live Fast.

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

From average pvp levels onwards, there are basically no situations in which 3 people stand in your vipers nest. Condi ranger is a 1v1’er for pvp.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

It might be the least versatile Master trait… but it sure is sexy with traited Sword.

Yes all 3 could be useful in certain builds, but that’s the problem. The number of builds that could benefit from a master trait is very limited.

Someone suggested switching Essence of Speed with Live Fast, which would at least be a step in the right direction. Any build can potentially benefit from Live Fast, even if they rarely use it.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yes all 3 could be useful in certain builds, but that’s the problem. The number of builds that could benefit from a master trait is very limited.

Someone suggested switching Essence of Speed with Live Fast, which would at least be a step in the right direction. Any build can potentially benefit from Live Fast, even if they rarely use it.

Any build that uses those things I described and other boons benefits from the trait.

How many builds are affected by any of the major traits? Brutish Seals only if you use signets, MoC only if you use GS, LB, SB or /Axe and only sparingly, Striders Defense only with S/, Hidden Barbs only for condi builds that are not in group scenarios, Ambidexterity only for dagger/torch in condi builds, Windborne Notes only if you have /WH, 2HT only if you have GS.

Essence of Speed is actually very versatile for a Major, it’s just not particularly powerful. I just think they should add Furious Strength to Essence of Speed and then put Fresh Reinforcement in Furious Strength’s place. Then you could run Live Fast for Fury and quickness on beast skill use and Essence of Speed to increase the duration of your boons and give +7% damage.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

Any build that uses those things I described and other boons benefits from the trait.

You didn’t understand what I said. The vast majority of builds have no beneficial master trait.

How many builds are affected by any of the major traits? Brutish Seals only if you use signets, MoC only if you use GS, LB, SB or /Axe and only sparingly

But this line also offers Steady Focus, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

Striders Defense only with S/, Hidden Barbs only for condi builds that are not in group scenarios

But this line also offers Spotter, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

Ambidexterity only for dagger/torch in condi builds

But this line also offers Shared Anguish, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

Windborne Notes only if you have /WH, 2HT only if you have GS.

But this line also offers Evasive Purity, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

in Ranger

Dojo.1867

From average pvp levels onwards, there are basically no situations in which 3 people stand in your vipers nest. Condi ranger is a 1v1’er for pvp.

Not 3 people but 2 people, 3 clones, a pet. It isn’t that hard to get 3 ticks on multiple targets – I am not saying you will heal the full 4.5k everytime you use Viper’s nest but even getting 4 or 5 target hits out of the 3 ticks it will be 2-3k heal. This is one skill. Sword/dagger add multiple stacks and so does SB. This adds up.

And I think it is absolutely enough if a trait CAN be good in specific builds. There are plenty of traits that are always kitten so I don’t get why we complain about stuff that can be efficient when used wisely.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

Bottom line is, 1 of the 3 master traits needs to be able to benefit any build right out of the box. Not all 3 master traits should require very specific builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

The problem with that is you can already get 25% movement speed in beastmode from beastmaster traitline, so I think its unlikely unless they change that also.

There are so many things need changing with soulbeast and only a month to do it in, tbh I think it’s going to be unfinished at release.

(edited by Vavume.8065)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

You didn’t understand what I said. The vast majority of builds have no beneficial master trait.

How many builds are affected by any of the major traits? Brutish Seals only if you use signets, MoC only if you use GS, LB, SB or /Axe and only sparingly

But this line also offers Steady Focus, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

Striders Defense only with S/, Hidden Barbs only for condi builds that are not in group scenarios

But this line also offers Spotter, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

Ambidexterity only for dagger/torch in condi builds

But this line also offers Shared Anguish, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

Windborne Notes only if you have /WH, 2HT only if you have GS.

But this line also offers Evasive Purity, which could benefit any build right out of the box.

I don’t agree that those traits benefit any builds. Evasive Purity & Shared Anguish are never going to be used for PvE. Spotter never going to be used in a condi build unless you are in a group and the only Ranger. And Steady Focus is never going to be used in any PvP format. Every trait has it’s place, niche and trade offs.

Anyway, this is what I would personally do with the traits.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Holland.9351

The problem with that is you can already get 25% movement speed in beastmode from beastmaster traitline, so I think its unlikely unless they change that also.

There are so many things need changing with soulbeast and only a month to do it in, tbh I think it’s going to be unfinished at release.

The problems with Beastmastery Pet Prowess:

• It’s only 25% movement speed
  • It limits choice by locking you into 2 trait lines (Soulbeast and Beastmastery)
  • Beastmastery GM traits are all useless while in Beastmode (which you need to be in to get the passive speed boost)
  • It can’t compete with Druid Natural Stride

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’d say Second Skin and Predator’s Cunning are good, yeah they only work well in certain builds but they do it well. Predator’s cunning kind of relies on dagger and condi builds being buffed though.

Essense of Speed is the weak link. Hard to keep track of the icd and the effect isn’t that great. I’d give it an extra effect like ‘when effected by quickness increase damage by 10%’.

in Ranger

Dojo.1867

I don’t think there would be anything wrong with removing the ICD of Essence of Speed.

in Ranger

Dojo.1867

• It limits choice by locking you into 2 trait lines (Soulbeast and Beastmastery)
  • Beastmastery GM traits are all useless while in Beastmode (which you need to be in to get the passive speed boost)

I mean do we really have problems to obtain perma swiftness nowadays? Personally I think + movementspeed traits are a waste of space.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

I don’t agree that those traits benefit any builds.

The point is that you don’t have to change your build to get the benefit.

Evasive Purity & Shared Anguish are never going to be used for PvE.

Even in PvE it’s useful to clear condi on dodge or ignore a CC effect. Maybe not optimal or required, but they would be useful at times on their own.

Spotter never going to be used in a condi build unless you are in a group and the only Ranger.

You would say no to 7% more personal crit chance in any build?

And Steady Focus is never going to be used in any PvP format. Every trait has it’s place, niche and trade offs.

It still often gives you +10% damage, even if it’s only at the start of the fight (much like Opening Strike).

That’s a great improvement and I wouldn’t have complained if this was it. Much more synergy and choice. It may not be perfect, but it would have been fine with me.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I mean do we really have problems to obtain perma swiftness nowadays? Personally I think + movementspeed traits are a waste of space.

Agree, we already have a lot/enough of ways to increase movement speed.

in Ranger

Aleksander Suburb.4287

I think we need a source for resilence, more sources of stability or a new condition that prevent opponents from doging >:) There is oooo much dodging/reflect/block/invulnerabilty in this game. Every second opponent in wvw ignore damage out of 3 sources. Or it ignores damage for the half time and has a damage output of a full berserker-rapid fire.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Let’s go for broke. More synergy with powerful, defining GM traits.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Actually we don’t have that many we think that because we all use the boon build.

If you don’t use BM traitline you don’t have access to perma-swiftness:

• SB#3 can achieve that, shame that weapon is useless in all game modes.
  • Warhorn is not enough.
  • Clarion bond and tail wind only works only in combat also you need 100% boon duration to be able to get swiftness up all the time.
  • SotP is the same case as warhorn.

Either case would be fantastic if the speed wouldn’t change when melted, that is 30%.
    We are losing the pet for a melee oriented class so SB should have the same potential as a warrior or thief in damage, mobility and defences.
I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I like them but I agree there should be one which can fit neatly into any build. They are all fairly niche.

My main issue is with the GM traits. The first one is just plain bad, and boring. The second one is only useful if you’re using several stances and are in a group, and so I end up taking the 3rd one which is alright (but certainly not great) and extremely boring.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Actually we don’t have that many we think that because we all use the boon build.

If you don’t use BM traitline you don’t have access to perma-swiftness:

• SB#3 can achieve that, shame that weapon is useless in all game modes.
  • Warhorn is not enough.
  • Clarion bond and tail wind only works only in combat also you need 100% boon duration to be able to get swiftness up all the time.
  • SotP is the same case as warhorn.

Either case would be fantastic if the speed wouldn’t change when melted, that is 30%.
    We are losing the pet for a melee oriented class so SB should have the same potential as a warrior or thief in damage, mobility and defences.

For Swiftness; Quickening Screech or Hunter’s Shot when melded and 20% boon duration is 100% uptime. Resounding Timbre and 2 shouts will be 100% uptime.

SotH too.

in Ranger

niconori.7235

Worst suggestions ever you just outright killed power builds with this kitten.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Care to explain?

I don’t know how you could come to this conclusion since they are a straight upgrade over what Soulbeast has right now.

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

Eternal Bond is pretty useful, played a lot around it – though some barrier applicaiton would be pretty interesting too! Or taunt on pet when getting kicked out of beastmode? Solid emergency trait Also bug – when kicked out of beastmode, and getting downed, lick wounds doesn’t work

Leader of the Pack Stances have pretty high cooldowns – either a CD reduction effect OR stance duration bonus (self) would be really appreciated.

Oppressive Superiority Problem with that trait is that its too conditional – if conditions aren’t met, the trait doesn’t apply – I’d say add the effect of ‘Get reduced damage from enemies with more health than you’ -10% damage, -10% condition damage (or duration)

in Ranger

Posted by: Cyric.7813

Cyric.7813

+

in Ranger

niconori.7235

Care to explain?

I don’t know how you could come to this conclusion since they are a straight upgrade over what Soulbeast has right now.

a non-perm 10% damage modifier and another 7% now nerfed to only apply when under effects of quickness? Which is so hard to get. Trash tier traits. Ele get 7% under swiftness already. The traits suggestion you posted on another thread is much better.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Care to explain?

a non-perm 10% damage modifier and another 7% now nerfed to only apply when under effects of quickness? Which is so hard to get. Trash tier traits. Ele get 7% under swiftness already. The traits suggestion you posted on another thread is much better.

A 10% damage modifier and 10% condi increase while you have more health, then 20% more damage and 20% more condi duration once the target is under 33% is what I made it. It’s significantly better than the 20% damage while the target is below 50% health traits out there.

If you read the trait which I renamed to Essence of Agression, it is simply Furious Strength and Essence of Speed combined. A two for one deal. The 7% is still from Fury and the boon extension is still from quickness. Then traiting it with Live Fast gives you two effects. I needed to make space to place Fresh Reinforcement as a minor trait without nerfing anything.

Attachments:

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)