I brought this game just to play as a Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: QueenHysteria.1084

QueenHysteria.1084

When GW2 was announced I waited years playing GW1 thinking I’d be able to play a cool new Assassin. Then they announced no Assassins anymore. Saw some of the thief clips and even then realized it wasn’t a good substitute for me.

I wasn’t even sure if I was going to buy the game but GW1 play friends keep asking me to get the game and what class was I going to be knowing how I loved my Assassin. Then one day awaiting GW2 they finally released more info on the game and then I saw it. Eir Stegalkin in her awesome pose with her giant wolf. Then they started to release game play footage of the ranger COOL! I’ll play a ranger. It’s going to be B/A! I waited and waited and waited…and waited some more and waited and waited and waited again “it will be done when it’s done” they said, so I waited and waited and waited and finally the day came! I jumped for joy as I rushed to get my Collectors Edition with Rytlock (whoever he was).

Yes! I smiled with glee as I installed the game. Choose your race? Norn! choose your profession… haha! Skip all the rest it’s ranger for me Baby!!! Yup…. yup…yep… … : | … … :*(

So I just wanted to thank Anet for making my dream of playing this awesome class come true. The other day as I was getting steamrolled in WvsW and was rezzing at the waypoint for the 20th time that day I said to myself you know what… this class is pretty good. Everyone always rushes to kill you first when they see you’re a ranger so you get mobbed all the time. You get a cool pet that spazzes out because he can’t figure out where the target your shooting is, you make a good target dummy for thieves that like to take advantage of your lack of armor and defense abilities. My favorite though are my bows that are both useless since ranger only seems to be effective with melee weapons.

I hit a Warrior once with my bow and he got mad and showed me how real bowing is done. I’m glad they have bows too. Sometimes it’s lonely if you’re the only one with a bow yah know even if it’s a staple for your class I’m glad Anet was nice and gave them to everyone. Even a nice thief was kind enough to use his bow on me instead of jabbing me with his pointy stick things. I said “hey what are you doing Sir?” and he said “Oh, I’m stealthing and shooting you with my bow.” I was like cool, I wish I could do that all I can do is become a sitting duck but you know what if someone hits me really hard I can turn invisible oh and sometimes when I shoot this arrow that only does like 50damage I turn invisible too but I think it’s to give me a few seconds to plan where I want run too before I get steamrolled when the person I just shot finds out where I am.

I also like my rangers elite skills. We have these Vine things that shoot out the ground it says you’re not supposed to be able to break free but no one ever gets caught by them anymore. We also get this cool skill that makes you glow and makes you and your pet stronger. I press it when I want to intimidate people but they just laugh and leave me a glowing mess on the ground.

I love being a ranger! It’s the coolest if not THE coolest class in the game. Thanks Anet!

in Ranger

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

Read some other topics in the ranger section and learn handling the ranger properly, being a successful ranger needs a lot of work but it works. Today I took about 10 supply camps on my own, killed 30 players without dying one time and defended the northern supply camp against 5 people the whole time with the help of an ele.. until the zerk arrived

Edit: Hav to agree with Overthrust about being forced to trait heavily for everything.

(edited by Shirk.6421)

in Ranger

Posted by: Overthrust.2659

Overthrust.2659

Amusing post lol
Thanks anet for giving us utilities that only work when heavy traited, I was wondering what to do with so many points!

The Ranger would be nerfed every time because that is the law of Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

I get tired when children buy this game just to be on easy mode and play a ranger when they could do something useful with their lives like take the challenge of being a warrior. Such underachievers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Nice OP, I also bought this game to only play as a Ranger, which I’ve done since the beta.

To quote Anet…………………

“Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.”

You would actually be better off hitting your foe around the head with your bow, rather than firing arrows.

I sorta gave up on trying to be a Ranger with a bow some time ago, so just go with the greatsword, which is also probably going to be messed up Dec 10th.

We seem to be seen as the lowest of the low, although the Ranger is still a popular class, people struggle on with it.

And if you dare complain, we get the old LTP, or I took out a whole WvW server solo on my Ranger, or roll a warrior thing over and over.

I don’t want to “roll” another class, I want to play a proper Ranger, and feel like it say’s in the above blurb.

Edit…………

And there’s a lot of content I’ve had to skip or give up on, not too happy about that.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’m still saving my longbow skin for the day either LB archer ranger becomes viable or thief is given the longbow due to the fact it has the least weapon combinations in the game and has no long-range combat style.

I also purchased this game to play an archer-style ranger. When I noticed I was deadlocked into the pet mechanic, I immediately turned away and went thief, which was still fun due to SB viability. I absolutely hate losing DPS to anything AI. I’ve never had a problem playing solo ranger in any game before, despite the fact I always run glass cannon. Getting through content hasn’t been a problem on my ranger, because I believe the pets both make the game easymode in PvE, but also because I’m skilled enough to solo things and dodge despite taking longer to kill them.

I’d much rather be able to blow people up knowing I could die at any moment than idling around relying on AI.

Sadly thief SB nerfs now prevent them from actually hitting casters/rangers/lb warriors/being out of gap-close range/targets on walls in WvW due to ledges, cluster bombing targets from walls in WvW, etc.

I’m still astounded ANet refuses to even comment about why they are not making strides to make archer a possible playstyle despite all of the demand.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Ranger

Posted by: CrossFire.8037

CrossFire.8037

I’m still astounded ANet refuses to even comment about why they are not making strides to make archer a possible playstyle despite all of the demand.

After over a year i finally gave up on the idea to play as a pure archer. Trying to make it work has been nothing but a frustrating experience, and like you said, it’s baffling that Anet are not even making changes for a pure archer to be possible, considering it’s a popular class archetype.

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

I love you OP /clap

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Well, in the Anet stream showing a guide for rangers the dev said that LB isn’t really effective as you get further into the game, so yeah … they know LB isn’t good and I doubt it will ever change.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

After over a year i finally gave up on the idea to play as a pure archer. Trying to make it work has been nothing but a frustrating experience, and like you said, it’s baffling that Anet are not even making changes for a pure archer to be possible, considering it’s a popular class archetype.

It’s because their idea of a ranger is biased, their idea of ranger is simply not working the way that everyone desires it to be, you have to force yourself to be the ranger that they designed. On top of that, WvW brings forth pvp and zerg challenges. For the average player, their ranger is currently pretty hard to use in these areas to the point where a ranger played by an average player can be competent with everyone else. Having such a tough curve to overcome to be competent really pushes players, you have to nearly be elite to be a competent ranger; whereas other professions (for the most part) do not. Now what I don’t get is why they aren’t doing things to help this profession the way the majority of the rangers need it to be. I worked pretty hard to get to be a ‘top tier’ ranger, I can tell you it’s far too troublesome, plus not everyone is up for that kind of challenge… in WvW all you want to do is contribute, not get face planted everywhere you go (talk about unintentional contributions – send a group of rangers up front as sandbag – everyone else charges in after).

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: mooty.4560

mooty.4560

Well, in the Anet stream showing a guide for rangers the dev said that LB isn’t really effective as you get further into the game, so yeah … they know LB isn’t good and I doubt it will ever change.

Longbow isn’t good in PvE but it’s still a very good weapon in both sPvP and WvW. Initially I used shortbow for skirmishing purposes but the nerf to it’s range really hurt and I’ve since gotten used to using longbow. Coincidentally, longbow is also quite good for long reaches a la the trait and has excellent utility. It’s just very poor at sustained damage with a slow and clumsy auto attack.. that’s all that’s wrong with it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

Roll a Warrior. Its pretty much what people that like the “Ranger” class are looking for.

Want to hit something with 14k+ damage with a ranged weapon from 1500? That’s a Warrior.

Want something that’s slippery to catch? That’s a Warrior.

Want signets that are good? That’s a Warrior.

Sad fact is Warrior compared Rangers is a god. Not saying Warriors don’t have any downsides, but its a flexible class that is hard to kill.

Oh? No pet….right? Get an Ogre pet or a Fire pet. And don’t worry about not being able to use them in WvW, pets don’t do WvW lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I love the ability dearly to finally play a melee wilderness stalker which almost always leans to ranged only in other mmos. But at the same time, I think it’s so lame that something as silly as buff radius should prevent ranged to ever be viable. It really is what makes me not play it – I think longbow and shortbow both has a couple of flow-feel problems, but it’s really the buff sharing failure that i hate. I like giving buffs to people.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Bad traits , worse utilities ….. pointless pet system . To late have I realized how bad Ranger is as i became attached to my character . I just wish it was … BETTER

in Ranger

Posted by: White.9523

White.9523

Why are people complaining so much about pets? My felines crit over 5k easily, and add vulnerability…

in Ranger

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

Why are people complaining so much about pets? My felines crit over 5k easily, and add vulnerability…

yeah…in solo PvE.
it’s dead after landing maybe 1 hit in any other scenario.

it seems, when browsing the profession section, that every class thinks they’re the worse.
but only 2 professions need serious attention: ranger (pets and spirits mostly) and engineer (overall).

i’d be happy, if they just shift over some DPS from the pet to the ranger…it seems like to much work to revamp a pets AI/behavior/survivability.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Maybe with 30 BM, Master’s Bond, and a full stack of Vuln on the target.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Krugan.7901

Krugan.7901

Well done OP. /clap

in Ranger

Posted by: AreUMadBro.6907

AreUMadBro.6907

Very well written. I hope for 2 things: a overall OP buff; or, unfortunately, account bound legendaries(then I would get my Twilight that is attached to my ranger, and probably put it in a warrior, then I would get all the gold I have and do another legendary, that will work well with my build and will add more effects to my char. And then no one would target me before just cause I am a “easy target”.

in Ranger

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

only thing wrong with ranger is pet control sistem….all other problems can get solved… i got 2 builds that are op in wvw…i win 90% fights and this 10% is when am not serius,and dead by the time i start thinking"hey this guy is good" 1 is longbow and other is melle that i can use to kill 1vs2 1vs3 sometimes,but still 1 on 1 is a very good build

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

The issue with rangers is always seen in WvW; that after all the crazy hard work you put into being amazingly good at it, you still don’t count as much. It’s not that you are a bad player, the class feels that it lacks the balance that all the other classes have. I know this because I have played them all. I consider the ranger to be a force to be reckoned with, yet with every patch the known complaints and balance issues that it has keep on shining and actually hurting the class further more. I did notice however that PvE wise, I feel at times more useful that at other professions, but WvW wise the ranger feels very much out of place.

I have always said it, the current balance issues regarding WvW need to be anchored with the ranger. New changes to x class? wait, do the balance out with the ranger? New changes to AoE damage? Wait do they balance out with the ranger, does the ranger need to improve? Such and such. Heck I would be happy with being half a contribution to WvW rather than dead last. Did I mention pets?

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z