If you could swap your ranger for any other class, would you?

in Ranger

Posted by: faytte.1057

faytte.1057

Be interesting to see how many people would trade their Ranger for another class this second.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ankas.9023

Ankas.9023

If all my armor and weps and lvl transfer yes in a heartbeat. I am kicking my own kitten for picking that class. Horrible DPS and choice of weapons and pets r more like anoying. Its like ur kid brother trying to tag along with u on ur date with a hot chick ur trying to nail. Id go with eather warrior or thief.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

thinking about going back to my thief after i gear him up.

in Ranger

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

This sort of discussion is why I’m trying out all the classes and not going past 40 with any until I’m good and confident about whether or not I like that particular profession.

Love my Thief and Guardian.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Ranger

Posted by: NinjaKnight.1340

NinjaKnight.1340

I’m switching to another class, prob Ele or Thief, might try Guardian.

I like the Ranger for relaxing play but when I see my fav weapon nerfed so much after I spent so much time farming to afford gear to boost it up to a decent damage level, it makes me sick.

I’m also in fear of when they will nerf the Thief. The Ele and Guardian forum is already in a big uproar about their nerfs.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

Thief, 1s kills ftw. Target usually dont know what hit them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

I have tried the other classes, and I dont like them at all. Ranger is the most fun for me. And personally, I love the learning curve of the pet. I was starting to feel like pets were good, but then I did some dungeons, and found my pet was dying, so I had to learn to adapt, and I did. And my pets life, and my own life went up Drasticly. Ranger takes alot of skill to really master, and I like that.

I will play ranger regardless of buffs/nerfs simply because I love the concept of being two units at once. Cause thats basicly what a ranger is, two units at once. Two sides of the same coin.

If I were to change ranger, id give it a bit more… Flair? The class currently relys to much on its normal attacks with a shortbow. Sword might be good if they fix the “root” bug, GS could use some damage tweaks, if GS got like 20% more damage, it would be a real contender imo, as its kit is REALLY good.

in Ranger

kiranslee.4829

Honestly i wish to play ranger with dual swords, or sword and dagger. I wish to try use LB and use my pet. Fact is none of this is viable build for anything. Ill give u example. I wanted to try different styles but the fact is B was only one that was working and now ranger is dead. So even if they fix SB, will that be all ? Im sorry but other classes have awesome choices. Think war for example. Dual axe, Gs, axe and shield , all of this are awesome. Why does it have to be that rangers are so terribad ?

in Ranger

Dice Dragon.4326

Honestly i wish to play ranger with dual swords, or sword and dagger. I wish to try use LB and use my pet. Fact is none of this is viable build for anything. Ill give u example. I wanted to try different styles but the fact is B was only one that was working and now ranger is dead. So even if they fix SB, will that be all ? Im sorry but other classes have awesome choices. Think war for example. Dual axe, Gs, axe and shield , all of this are awesome. Why does it have to be that rangers are so terribad ?

Imo, this has to do with “quality of life” issues. Swords kit lets them perma cripple, and has a kittenload of “get out the way” abilities. if a warrior is about to hit you with a huge truckload of damage, you can use the viper skill to duck behind him, avoid damage, and poison him. This is what they want it to do, sadly due to bugs like positioning on that move, and the “root” bug of the normal chain, sword has issues that prevent it from being a strong contender.

The third Swing of the GS chain gives you evade frames as well. Meaning if you are auto attacking a mob in pve for example, 33% of the time you are in evade frames. Problem is your damage is kittenall due to quality of life issues, GS could be like sword, and have a bunch of defense and mobility IF it had some tiny little changes.

Long bow has alot of damage imo, the problem is its CDs are kitten high, if rapid fire took 3 seconds instead of 5 with a 6 second CD, it would be such a stronger weapon. Another problem is it does not auto attack past a certain range meaning you miss out on alot of range you could of had unless you wanna spam “1” to get it.

Im pretty pleased with the offhand choices for ranger, Daggers stab skill could use a damage buff, but other then that, its legit. It gives you even MORE evade frames. Letting you dodge attacks without stopping the offensive.

Pets are really good if you know how to use them, and use a pet that is right for the situation.

Middle class is the average, its a decent place to be. poverty sucks, but atleast you know you suck, and you dont feel bad because you know you are poor, the government looks out for you cause of it. lets say Guardians are middle class, and Necro is poor, Ranger is in the worst place. They are inbetween these two. They need just a slight nudge to be decent, but are not bottom of the barrel, so the bossman dont care.

Simpley put, games will always have classes better then otehrs, its a simple fact. But most of whats limiting ranger is quality of life and or bugs.

in Ranger

kiranslee.4829

I dont agree on pets. Pets are so dumb its terribad. I totally hate them in instances. On other side i have full geared war and ranger. I must say for just about anything my war is far far better. That kitten me off a lot coz i really like ranger class.

in Ranger

Dice Dragon.4326

I dont agree on pets. Pets are so dumb its terribad. I totally hate them in instances. On other side i have full geared war and ranger. I must say for just about anything my war is far far better. That kitten me off a lot coz i really like ranger class.

I was having this problem actually, but I found using ranged pets GREATLY improved my ability to stay alive, and my pets. Spiders and Devourers attack at a 900 range, which is good enough to not get hit by AoEs, and they do decent dps, Devourers also are armored as kitten, and tank better then bears imo! And spiders have loads of utility, Jungle spider I think has a instant f2 that makes it stun on its next attack for a huge 2 seconds, and it uses an immoble and a poison feild, all of which help the team outside of it being able to DPS at range.

The main problem I think I have with pets is that, with beast mastery spec, I feel like my pet is really strong, but without it, it seems really weak. Forcing you to spec it if you want the pet to do something more then just get squished.

in Ranger

Posted by: skstylez.1526

skstylez.1526

you’re posting this at the wrong time since everyone is here raging over the ninja nerf. but I would be just as angry if they touched my sword (lol) or my newly acquired Longbow

in Ranger

Posted by: MeTx.6712

MeTx.6712

nah, I still like my ranger too much, and I still see potential.

Ranger: My Main Man Ray

in Ranger

Posted by: springelf.9236

springelf.9236

Probably not. I am not fantastic in WvW, but I am happy, enough, with her in PvE. I just like the concept a lot. Before I knew much about the game, I had decided to make a ranger. I like the pets…as a concept. Just like how they look. Like how bows look.

Mind you…I am leveling up a thief. Most games I play one or something like it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Engineer easily, so OP in PvE is ridiculous and I can keep the medium armour.

in Ranger

Posted by: TheAltarBoy.3176

TheAltarBoy.3176

Probably not for PvE but I think I’d like to at least try something else in WvW at least.

If I could also change and keep my gear I’d probably consider it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kildari.2480

Kildari.2480

No way at all. I love how many people here think warriors are the end all be all and want to switch. I have a level 80 warrior and I died wayyyyy to much to have fun especially in dungeons. They are complete crap for survivability on any situation 1 vs more than one. Single target snares and roots make me sad. How anyone can play them and like it I will never understand but to each their own.

The recent nerfs while saddening are hardly anything that will keep me from playing. The only way that will hapkitten if they nerf our ae control.

in Ranger

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

I would definitely trade my ranger for a different profession.

in Ranger

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

funny thing is i rerolled from my full exotic ele for a ranger….boy can i pick em!

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

When I started this game, I was on the fence between Ranger or Thief.

The Ranger had some of the coolest animations (namely the Sword) and appeared to have the superior ranged abilities, so I went with a Ranger. Then I discovered all of the pet issues and other bugs.

I should’ve gone Thief.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

Yeah but Ele is still the king of WvW AOE damage, isn’t it? At least you have a role there. Ranger/thief was supposed to be the single target dps beast. Thief cuts the mustard for that role and they have tons of utility to boot. Ranger… zero utility except a borked pet mechanic, easily dodged projectiles, and now our only somewhat viable weapon is puke. I’m grumpy as you can tell, and yes, I would trade my broken ranger for pretty much any class other than necro.

in Ranger

neverborne.4736

I was having this problem actually, but I found using ranged pets GREATLY improved my ability to stay alive, and my pets. Spiders and Devourers attack at a 900 range, which is good enough to not get hit by AoEs, and they do decent dps, Devourers also are armored as kitten, and tank better then bears imo! And spiders have loads of utility, Jungle spider I think has a instant f2 that makes it stun on its next attack for a huge 2 seconds, and it uses an immoble and a poison feild, all of which help the team outside of it being able to DPS at range..

I hoped ranged pets would be the answer for my pets exploding all over the place in PvP. My problem is the projectile speed is so insanely slow that if the target is not completely immobile, they automatically dodge it. If you’ve ever PvP’ed you know how rarely someone stands completely still… our pets need serious love. So do our weapons. So do our spirits. So do our trait lines. Oh, did I mention opening strike is still broken?

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

I hoped ranged pets would be the answer for my pets exploding all over the place in PvP. My problem is the projectile speed is so insanely slow that if the target is not completely immobile, they automatically dodge it. If you’ve ever PvP’ed you know how rarely someone stands completely still… our pets need serious love. So do our weapons. So do our spirits. So do our trait lines. Oh, did I mention opening strike is still broken?

By ranged pets you mean the 900 feet ones that still want to run into melee to attack?

I thought this would help, too, but instead was disappointed. Again. The F2 response time, like all pets, was atrocious.

I want to see a response, too, but I feel that anything short of fixing the class itself isn’t going to satisfy me now.

Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: Zsymon.8457

Zsymon.8457

I planned to go back to guardian, but the latest patch ruined guardian greatsword and put a cross through that.

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

No way at all. I love how many people here think warriors are the end all be all and want to switch. I have a level 80 warrior and I died wayyyyy to much to have fun especially in dungeons. They are complete crap for survivability on any situation 1 vs more than one. Single target snares and roots make me sad. How anyone can play them and like it I will never understand but to each their own.

The recent nerfs while saddening are hardly anything that will keep me from playing. The only way that will hapkitten if they nerf our ae control.

in Ranger

neverborne.4736

Wow… that video just made me die a little bit inside.

in Ranger

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

Looks at video….
Looks at level 17 warrior in character select….
……ponders leveling a 3rd 80 even though i have 2 fully exotic 80’s…
…..sighs and hangs head

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

Yup. That video got me wanting to roll a Warrior. Superior ranged abilities AND, clearly, able to wade into a sea of red nameplates and SURVIVE LIKE A BOSS!

Thank you for posting that video. I’m going to be over here in a corner weeping and coming to terms with the idea of rolling my second character up to 80. What a waste of a month on my Ranger!

Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: Grace.6074

Grace.6074

funny thing is i rerolled from my full exotic ele for a ranger….boy can i pick em!

I rerolled my ele pretty much as soon as she hit 80 to guardian, I’m a hammer guardian so I’m incredulous over the pure number of people putting forth a “The World is Ending” attitude on the guardian forums over the GS changes but since she hit 80 as well and I got her nearly exotic’d I’ve been bored and thought ranger would be fun to try.

What I’ve determined is that pretty much any profession forum I go to there is a large amount of crying on. It doesn’t matter what profession. Most professions uphold warrior and to a lesser degree thief to be the end all most OP, but then you have people who play those professions popping out and saying “Well no one wants warriors for tPvP” or “Thiefs are squishy”.

Everyone just wants to complain.

Aerre – Sylvari Elementalist
Necro/Warrior/Ranger/Mesmer/Guardian
HoD – PHZE

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

No. And people are crazy for thinking that the shortbow changes somehow makes the whole profession horrible. That’s like saying you only played the Ranger for the shortbow, which is kinda stupid.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Dracones.9105

Dracones.9105

Be interesting to see how many people would trade their Ranger for another class this second.

It’s really too bad PvP in this game requires you to start a new character and grind up to 80….

in Ranger

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Won’t be changing! I love my ranger and all the time I put in. I too believe its extremely effective and powerful in pve and even for pvp I’m learning how to use a ranger effectively. I’ve adapted to using the pets in dungeons as well. Sometime I just don’t send them into combat til necessary. I go pure melee on pve for fun and it is madly effective on swarms, but am on bows for tougher bosses. I adapt to the situation change my skills up and onward and ranger has proven to be extremely versatile even with the issues. If they fixed it it would be a powerful class. One that can emerge out on top

in Ranger

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

Wow, contrary to the title of that video (“GW2: Warriors so weak in WvW”) it just shows how over powered warriors really are. She walked into a sea of enemy players and killed most of them by herself, then ran of to the next group. Heck, she even had time to try res someone as a new large group of players started attacking her. The funniest bit in that video is when about what… 40+ enemy players charge her and she dies and then says that a warrior is so weak for not being able to kill 40+ players at once? lol.

Comparing what that warrior did to what rangers can do just made another bit of my hope for ranger improvements die.

in Ranger

neverborne.4736

Wow, contrary to the title of that video (“GW2: Warriors so weak in WvW”) it just shows how over powered warriors really are. She walked into a sea of enemy players and killed most of them by herself, then ran of to the next group. Heck, she even had time to try res someone as a new large group of players started attacking her. The funniest bit in that video is when about what… 40+ enemy players charge her and she dies and then says that a warrior is so weak for not being able to kill 40+ players at once? lol.

Comparing what that warrior did to what rangers can do just made another bit of my hope for ranger improvements die.

I think you’re missing the sarcasm bro.

in Ranger

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

I think you’re missing the sarcasm bro.

I always am

But to make sure I put my reply to the topic question. I would change my ranger to a thief (if anet plans no fixes for rangers) + if all my stuff earned went over with it.

(edited by Parvati.5780)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

That video reminds me of what i do in WvW with my ranger… you know what… i think i’m going to go play WvW tonight with my friends and slaughter them all like animals…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

That video reminds me of what i do in WvW with my ranger… you know what… i think i’m going to go play WvW tonight with my friends and slaughter them all like animals…

Key phrase here being “with his friends,” because his pet certainly won’t be killing anyone that takes so much as a step in any direction.

I’m furious about why ArenaNet felt they had to nerf the Ranger’s DPS because “their pet makes up for part of it” when the pet itself can’t attack AND move at the same time!

Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

@deepwinter, yup, because you know… that warrior didn’t have any friends at all with him…. oh wait… he was in a group of 5 people about the whole time…. god some people are so stupid it’s sickening….

Of COURSE i’m going to bring my friends, and my pet actually does better in WvW then dungeons because nothing even bothers to focus on him so he just runs around the back line killing the silly nerds in gift wrap as i pew pew with my longbow at the front line…

in Ranger

Posted by: Vecuu.2018

Vecuu.2018

No. I love my Ranger.

Just have to, you know, like the idea of pets.

Jaded [Jade] – Darkhaven Server
Jaded.boards.net – Your future home

in Ranger

Dice Dragon.4326

By ranged pets you mean the 900 feet ones that still want to run into melee to attack?

I thought this would help, too, but instead was disappointed. Again. The F2 response time, like all pets, was atrocious.

I want to see a response, too, but I feel that anything short of fixing the class itself isn’t going to satisfy me now.

hit f3, and when they get back to you, hit F1 again, they should then be fine. as for pvp… Thats just a huge problem that I cant really tell you how to fix. Pets will ALWAYS suck in pvp imo.

in Ranger

Kildari.2480

I have some serious reserations about that video you posted. If you go 7min 6 seconds in and watch the life bar. He goes from 10% life to full instantly. I call hacking on this one unless someone can find some other excuse for it.

I’ve rolled that build in WVW and it’s just not that survivable naturally. I mean there’s a lot of things going for you if you control the map and 3 orbs. If you are conquering by that much it could very well mean that the other players at leveled 80 not actually 80 with maxed out gear like this person.

There are so many variables but in general that full life instantly is either a glitch. Some ability of another class I’ve never seen used as a complete heal on someone or is indeed a hack. There was no level up graphic so it wasn’t that.

I’d like to see this person try this in a dungeon. I really would. No way in hell they can take 4 or even 5 mobs on them in melee full time. They will be dead in roughly 20 seconds once block and all their heal shouts are on cooldown.

I’ve tried it.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I have some serious reserations about that video you posted. If you go 7min 6 seconds in and watch the life bar. He goes from 10% life to full instantly. I call hacking on this one unless someone can find some other excuse for it.

I’ve rolled that build in WVW and it’s just not that survivable naturally. I mean there’s a lot of things going for you if you control the map and 3 orbs. If you are conquering by that much it could very well mean that the other players at leveled 80 not actually 80 with maxed out gear like this person.

There are so many variables but in general that full life instantly is either a glitch. Some ability of another class I’ve never seen used as a complete heal on someone or is indeed a hack. There was no level up graphic so it wasn’t that.

I’d like to see this person try this in a dungeon. I really would. No way in hell they can take 4 or even 5 mobs on them in melee full time. They will be dead in roughly 20 seconds once block and all their heal shouts are on cooldown.

I’ve tried it.

You have to realize one MAJOR thing about that video, a lot of people don’t pay attention to the fact that he’s with like 4 other people, one of which was a guardian which shortly before (maybe afterward? i forget) you can see him running around with a TOME so i’m assuming it was a tome of courage and he used the aoe full heal ability.

Is he very survivable? Oh absolutely! no doubt in my mind, period, PERIOD, however is he as powerful/ OP as that video shows? Absolutely not, it’s not just him it’s a small strike force of people, they’re likely all on vent or mumble all working together. It’s really a beautiful illusion he painted for the people who aren’t very observant.

in Ranger

Kildari.2480

Oh no doubt Durzlla. On my warrior at 80 I actually ran this build full time. Healing shouts, condition removal on warhorn. In PVE dungeons it was “ok” and semi survivable. I output a small amount of healing for my group but any time I got focus fired by mobs I just didn’t have the protection necessary to withstand an assault and when you put out that much healing to others mobs tend to make a beeline for you.

I died a lot and it was very frustrating. Every dungeon I felt like the odd man out. I tried a LOT of specs too. I tried almost every weapon. No matter what I did I could not keep the mobs from ganking me.

I switched to ranger and I have not once in any dungeon I’ve been in died. NOT ONCE. Since I’ve hit 80 I’ve run only a few dungeons AC paths 1-3 CM all paths and the next one cant remember the name. To be fair I knew all the fights from my warriors so I knew what to expect but even still when I know the fights on my warrior he still dies. I just dont have the control necessary.

My ranger is build for control and it’s a lovely sight.

So while people complain here about how bad we are I just have the opposite opinion.

in Ranger

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Completely agree ^ I see alot of warriors dying left and right but in pve rangers are such survival experts literally. I’m the longest standing in dungeons, in big swarms of mobs, even meleeing champs while staying alive bc of all the defensive evasion skills + crazy damage from quickness bursts… All in all rangers are king or queen of pve and versatile with any situation, style and weapons

Pvp tho it’s a bit more challenging… XD

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

There are very few classes which can solo a supply camp, a simply tank and spank using a bear and shortbow and i can clear out a supply camp in 8-12 minutes.

i’ve been running a sword+warhorn/shortbow build since the begining of the game and i wouldn’t give up the massive amount of slows and mobility this build offers. the drop in shortbow dps has definitely affect my 1v1 ability, but it’s like saying it takes 1 minute to kill a thief instead of 50 seconds. unfortunately i’m running away 60% of the time so that i can continue to roam in the back.

also a general warrior will blow their load asap, a shortbow 3, `, sword 3, sword 2 (first tap), trap, dodge-roll. will essentially mitigate almost 80% if not all that damage, and give you the distance required to throw down a healing. a thief will either be killed completely one sided by you or take you out in 1-2sec (they do that to almost any other class so it’s not like it’s unexpected).

(edited by Luriyu.6873)

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

I’ve tried it.

You have to realize one MAJOR thing about that video, a lot of people don’t pay attention to the fact that he’s with like 4 other people, one of which was a guardian which shortly before (maybe afterward? i forget) you can see him running around with a TOME so i’m assuming it was a tome of courage and he used the aoe full heal ability.

Is he very survivable? Oh absolutely! no doubt in my mind, period, PERIOD, however is he as powerful/ OP as that video shows? Absolutely not, it’s not just him it’s a small strike force of people, they’re likely all on vent or mumble all working together. It’s really a beautiful illusion he painted for the people who aren’t very observant.

Erm its not a lie or a trick, he doesn’t hide the part portraits and shows them several times in the video running to the enemies.

But can you really see any other class doing that? Even Guardians would have a harder time.

I posted the video because the guy said Warriors were ‘crap for survivability’ and any CC will ruin your day everytime. Even with 4 team mates that video shows that it is not true. There are no dedicated healers in this game remember.

in Ranger

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

As a solo PvE LB/GS ranger, I will happily stay with the profession!

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

I wish I could use a Sword in anything but solo PvE (i.e. for the lulz). That root bug on the 1 ability has cost me too many times in sPvP, WvW and especially Dungeons – even when its not set to auto-attack.

If ArenaNet can fix that and the pet move/attack issues I’ll gladly take whatever nerf/glitch/bug they give to the Shortbow. I’ll even ignore the lackluster Spirits for the time being!

Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: neoxide.7320

neoxide.7320

No. I don’t like the idea of jumping to the most OP class, like so many do. However I would like to see improvements to the ranger class.