Irenio said shotgun is not healthy

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

in the guildchat Irenio specifically addressed the renegade where he specifically pointed out shotgun designs are not healthy for the game or the players (and he is my hero from now on because of that)

I’d like to address shortbow and axe main hand follows that shotgun desing and i agree that’s a very sitty desing.

We need some changes in those weapons:
Shortbow to regain it’s old range and get in LB level:1500 range for all attacks.
To make easier development and testing : Poison voley to become a sort of Rapid Fire: 5 arrows shoot like RF in 2 second channel. Each arrow create an small poison AoE 180 at selected target (to avoid op fields with piercing arrows)

Axe MH AA to change the bouncing for a 600 (instead 900) AoE cone to hit up to 3 targets. Each hit grants 1 might and apply 1 bleed 5 secs (reduced ranged =1 bleed).

Split blade will change to a 600 bouncing axe between the ranger and the enemy each of those apply one bleed. That axe bounce for 3 seconds but is not a channeled skill. Ranger cast and for 2.5 (1\2 second each bounce) seconds the axe bounce between randoms for 5 times within the range and go back and forth from and to the ranger. Each time it hits apply 3 bleeds 10 secs and cripple for 5 secs. mean while the ranger can keep casting other skills. Double the CD to 12 secs and the clunky animation can stay.
If there is not enemy in 600 radius from the ranger , the skill stops and enter cooldown.

Winters bite whould become an 3 targets PbAoE where the ranger throw the axe to the floor and apply chilled, weakness and bleed in 600 radius. Like the bonefire but with chill and bleeds.

Thus we become to have a real ranged weapon and a kind medium range effective soft CC and hybrid weapon.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

(edited by anduriell.6280)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Shortbow is never going to have 1500 range, at most they might give it the 1200 range it once had.

Personally i think the shotgun skill on Axe is fitting, it’s supposed to be kinda medium range skirmishy, and having a shotgun skill incentives dancing in and out of melee range to use it.

However, I do think poison volley should be changed, i never though the spread made much sense on a shortbow, but making AoE poison fields makes less sense, and it doesn’t need to be rapid fire, since its auto is already an endless rapid fire.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yeah, 1500 is too much for a SB, 1200 is good. Just make Poison Volley a single projectile that explodes at your target dealing the Poison in an AoE.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Yeah, 1500 is too much for a SB, 1200 is good. Just make Poison Volley a single projectile that explodes at your target dealing the Poison in an AoE.

Yep that idea is really cool. I second that.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Or a ground targeted poison field to avoid pathing issues and projectile hate. Since we’re not going to get thrown traps again…

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Or a ground targeted poison field to avoid pathing issues and projectile hate. Since we’re not going to get thrown traps again…

a ground target that still launches a projectile is still affected by projectile hate, so unless the AoE will be like muddy terrain where there’s no projectile (It wont), then it can still be destroyed, or reflected before it lands and turns into an AoE.

EX: Warrior Longbow burst skill

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

cafard.8953

a ground target that still launches a projectile is still affected by projectile hate, so unless the AoE will be like muddy terrain where there’s no projectile (It wont), then it can still be destroyed, or reflected before it lands and turns into an AoE.

EX: Warrior Longbow burst skill

Just add Unblockable to the tooltip then. :p

Olaf Oakmane [KA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Yeah 1500 range shortbow… yes please.

(Anet will read this, and scribble it down. Next expansion: ranger rifle, 1500 range with bleed on auto-attack and a rapid fire with poison

edit: I was being sarcastic, please don’t do this.)

(edited by Holland.9351)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

A shortbow with massive range makes little sense, aesthetic-wise. I’d rather they replace the shotgun skills if they think it’s unhealthy. I’ve never really found them practical or fun to begin with, to be honest.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

in Ranger

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Well, they can say that if they want, but if they don’t do any changes to ’’shotgun’’ skills, it’s just talking for talking.

Splitblade and Poison Volley were always weird, because they were on ’’ranged’’ weapon. Same problems arise with Rifle (Blunderbuss) and OH (Blowtorch) Engi, which clearly push the ’’Shotgun’’ play style.

TBH, I don’t think they will do anything about them. It was only specified to the Renegade, making a Bleeding Volley on Renegade new Shortbow would have made it boring, so they inverted and made an argument for it.

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Make it 1000 range. LB is 1500. 900 is meh but I understand the reasoning. Throw a dog a bone and make the numbers all symmetrical.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Make it 1000 range. LB is 1500. 900 is meh but I understand the reasoning. Throw a dog a bone and make the numbers all symmetrical.

Axe is 900, LB is 1500 so SB at 1200 would be mid way between. Also, makes sense thematically that you can shoot an arrow further than you can throw an axe.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

They nerfed the 1500 range shortbow back in January.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

900 vs 1000 isn’t going to be noticeable.

It worked fine at 1200 range and the only reason it was ever nerfed in the first place was to make Longbow look better by comparison.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

I would have to disagree with SB gaining range, its a skirmishing weapon. But I do agree that some of these skills need to be revisited and change. Heres my opinion:

Shortbow skills should be consider in the ammo mechanic that is being introduce, similar to when we had PREPERATIONS in GW1, sample:

2. Poison Volley change to Poison Tip (5 ammo) your next attack inflict 2 stacks of poison per ammo for 8 seconds. CD 15 seconds. Should reset attack animation per use, so you can combine this with auto attacks to inflict major pressure to an enemy. this will enhance game play as well with SB so youre not just spamming your ammo you will need to time it right to maximize your pressure.

4. Crippling Shot (2 ammo) CD 20 seconds. Make this skill unblockable similar to https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Crippling_Shot.

as for Axe main hand IMO they really should change skill 2 to compliment condi/power builds.

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in Ranger

cafard.8953

I would have to disagree with SB gaining range, its a skirmishing weapon.

Only because it was made so with the range nerf. It used to be a pretty good power weapon in early group wvw with 1200 range and piercing arrows.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

It worked fine at 1200 range and the only reason it was ever nerfed in the first place was to make Longbow look better by comparison.

This. Shortbow was the better weapon of the two between it and Longbow. It took lots of tuning to make Longbow the better weapon which did include quite a few nerfs to shortbow, the range being the biggest one.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

They could keep it at 900. They’d just need to make some tweaks to make it better at skirmishing.

Get rid of crossfire, two-chain AA one with higher power coefficient and the other with two stacks of bleed from all angles as a compromise for both stat distributions with boosted consistency at slightly lower potential max dps from condi if all back-attacks.

Poison volley made into the Ammo system (Ammo 3) with a tightened cone to make it less about getting hyper close to shotgun all hits, but reward the player for staying close by as a skirmishing set. Reduced Arrow count and Poison stacks scale with ammo value when casting (3/2/1), power coefficient tripled per arrow (1.8x/1.2x/0.6x current coefficient at shotgun value), poison duration up to 6s.

Quick Shot given Ammo 2 to keep it able to sustain close.

Concussion Shot cooldown to 15s with daze/stun duration at 1.5s from 2s.

Whole kit now works very well.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I like Poison Volley’s mass-tagging/area suppression effect!

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

Axe is 900, LB is 1500 so SB at 1200 would be mid way between. Also, makes sense thematically that you can shoot an arrow further than you can throw an axe.

At max range Shortbow already connects at 1000ish in the same way Longbow’s range is 1200 but it’s actual range is 1500.

Making Shortbow hard 1000 would be a decent change and make Shortbow connect at just about 1200. 1100ish.

It would be a good change and give Shortbow a little more range without making it another Longbow.

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

At max range Shortbow already connects at 1000ish in the same way Longbow’s range is 1200 but it’s actual range is 1500.

Making Shortbow hard 1000 would be a decent change and make Shortbow connect at just about 1200. 1100ish.

It would be a good change and give Shortbow a little more range without making it another Longbow.

But longbow connects at 2000, I’d be happy to see 1200 range and the projectiles despawn at 1300.

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

But longbow connects at 2000, I’d be happy to see 1200 range and the projectiles despawn at 1300.

Maybe at elevation advantage and even then you can reliably strafe them at 1500. Anything past 1200 is iffy.

If they gave us back 1200 on shortbow I wouldn’t complain but it’s not likely. I’m asking for a bone. You guys are asking for the Taj Mahal.

They’re not going to make Shortbow a different Longbow.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Maybe at elevation advantage and even then you can reliably strafe them at 1500. Anything past 1200 is iffy.

If they gave us back 1200 on shortbow I wouldn’t complain but it’s not likely. I’m asking for a bone. You guys are asking for the Taj Mahal.

We’re just asking to be able to shoot an arrow as far as we can throw a Dagger, Torch or Axe from our left hand!

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

We’re just asking to be able to shoot an arrow as far as we can throw a Dagger, Torch or Axe from our left hand!

Sure, and 1100-1200 outside a 1000 hardline is further than an axe that get’s 900.

Fair point on torch and dagger off-hand, let’s be nice and say 1000 is the hard limit and shortbow can “reach” 1200 like torch and dagger throw.

That or they get nerfed to 1000.

in Ranger

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

in the guildchat Irenio specifically addressed the renegade where he specifically pointed out shotgun designs are not healthy for the game or the players (and he is my hero from now on because of that)

As someone who plays ranger and rev, I find his statement incredibly frustrating. I feel once again, that the devs do not know what they are doing with revs. SB3 on renegade shortbow is next to useless in a raid environment because you need to be at range to use it properly. You need these skills to work in melee range because that is where the raid is. Did they forget how raiding works or are they planning on changing it so drastically that we don’t need to be in melee anymore? So they think shotgun is not healthy, so instead they create something that’s the complete opposite and is useless. Why not just do away with these weird mechanics where you either have to be in melee to do the most damage or at range to do the most damage?

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Sure, and 1100-1200 outside a 1000 hardline is further than an axe that get’s 900.

Fair point on torch and dagger off-hand, let’s be nice and say 1000 is the hard limit and shortbow can “reach” 1200 like torch and dagger throw.

OH Axe gets to 1200, man. Axe MH further illustrates this point, we should be shooting arrows further than we can throw axes. The whole point of bows is mechanical advantage in the form of a spring. The longer the spring or it’s resistance to bend, the more power it transfers. The length of the bow makes no difference thematically. English Longbows shoot no further than a double reflex bow, which are half the length. In fact, the double reflex can shoot with a flatter trajectory.

1200 is skirmishing range now, there are so many gap closers and pulls that 900 no longer cuts the mustard. This is 75% of the reason the SB is hardly used ever except specific rotations in raids.

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

OH Axe gets to 1200, man. Axe MH further illustrates this point, we should be shooting arrows further than we can throw axes. The whole point of bows is mechanical advantage in the form of a spring. The longer the spring or it’s resistance to bend, the more power it transfers. The length of the bow makes no difference thematically. English Longbows shoot no further than a double reflex bow, which are half the length. In fact, the double reflex can shoot with a flatter trajectory.

1200 is skirmishing range now, there are so many gap closers and pulls that 900 no longer cuts the mustard. This is 75% of the reason the SB is hardly used ever except specific rotations in raids.

MH axe is 900. Yes, the OHs go to 1200. I can’t help but think you’re getting too much into the science side of what is a video game arrangement.

That said what I offered previously should be satisfactory. Your projectile based weapons are the MH axe, longbow, and shortbow.

I propose SB be buffed to 1000 base but like LB having a little leeway there in it’s effective reach to about 1200.

Your SB get’s better baseline range than your comparable MH axe and it’s effective “reach” is the range of your OH throws. That’s fair and now normalized with your OH’s.

Anything more and you’re just asking them to make shortbow a different longbow and while that would be pretty neat, it’s also never going to happen.

I doubt my suggestion here will happen in all honesty.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

MH axe is 900. Yes, the OHs go to 1200. I can’t help but think you’re getting too much into the science side of what is a video game arrangement.

That said what I offered previously should be satisfactory. Your projectile based weapons are the MH axe, longbow, and shortbow.

I propose SB be buffed to 1000 base but like LB having a little leeway there in it’s effective reach to about 1200.

Your SB get’s better baseline range than your comparable MH axe and it’s effective “reach” is the range of your OH throws. That’s fair and now normalized with your OH’s.

Anything more and you’re just asking them to make shortbow a different longbow and while that would be pretty neat, it’s also never going to happen.

I just see no point in a 100 range buff, it will not even be noticable in general play. 1200 range SB is not just a different LB, they are totally different weapons.

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

I just see no point in a 100 range buff, it will not even be noticable in general play. 1200 range SB is not just a different LB, they are totally different weapons.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Kind of surprised no one else caught the other tid-bit Irenio mentioned in the Guild Chat stream about why Anet won’t allow Ranger to have control over all of the pet skills by default: “Because it would be way too powerful.”

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Kind of surprised no one else caught the other tid-bit Irenio mentioned in the Guild Chat stream about why Anet won’t allow Ranger to have control over all of the pet skills by default: “Because it would be way too powerful.”

lolwhat? He said that?
Firebrand…

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

lolwhat? He said that?
Firebrand…

Firebrand is balanced by the fact that Guardian players can’t stop crying about their staff 1 long enough to learn how to push more buttons.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Justine.6351

lolwhat? He said that?
Firebrand…

Firebrand is balanced by the fact that Guardian players can’t stop crying about their staff 1 long enough to learn how to push more buttons.

The irony is I made a post in the guardian forums about how to lootstick with Firebrand and they couldn’t understand what I was saying.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Chapter-1-Searing-Spell-lootstick/first#post6705157

You could even run it full dire/trailblazer and all they can think about is how staff 1 is now 300 range lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Just. Make. It. 1200. Again.

For real, this would fix the weapon.

Shotgun is fine, as it’s a skirmish weapon so they’re going to be in your face. Poison Volley is actually the best skill on the thing because #3 is to short of a hop back and #4 and #5 are almost always blocked by some wonderful passive defense.

If you put it to 1200 you can actually run double bow.

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

You won’t get either.

As for asking too much,
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

(edited by EnderzShadow.2506)

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Not surprised.

They were distracted by the crumbs that fell off the round table and landed on Ranger.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I wonder if it’s some kind of secret indoctrination they go through…as this mentality stems all the way back to the beginning. When pets were so powerful that they could solo dungeons for Rangers, etc.

It took them 5 years to get basic tech to allow functionality with the pet stowed, yet they think they actually made an AI that if if fully unleashed would be game breaking.

I really want to know what super powerful skills we’re missing out on here. As none of the pet F2’s qualify as that.

in Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

You won’t get either.

Mmhm.

As for asking too much,
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars

Most of you won’t make it much further than a mile if you intend to do that with a box of dynamite strapped to a log and a candle lighter.

in Ranger

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

lolwhat? He said that?
Firebrand…

The irony is I made a post in the guardian forums about how to lootstick with Firebrand and they couldn’t understand what I was saying.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Chapter-1-Searing-Spell-lootstick/first#post6705157

You could even run it full dire/trailblazer and all they can think about is how staff 1 is now 300 range lol.

checks out linked thread

Wow.

I mean, I’m pretty ticked off at the staff 1 nerf myself, but it’s… really not relevant to what you were pointing out in that thread.

The build you’re talking about is one I experimented with myself. It works quite well, as long as your opponents grant experience. Overall, in fact, I think a firebrand with that build, a scepter ranged weapon, and a melee weapon of the player’s choice will be superior to most existing builds with a staff. If for no other reason than that you can get a good flamethrower-type weapon and good support options while still having a real long-range weapon and a melee weapon.

Still ticked off at the nerf, though. Even if 600 was too good, nerfing it to 300 was an overnerf.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

>Full control of both the player and an independent AI, requiring either 12 fingers or a gaming mouse to use correctly would be too powerful.

Attachments:

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…