Let's talk PvP builds (post Trait update)

in Ranger

Posted by: coax.2951

coax.2951

So why don’t we brainstorm a little build database for everyone to try once the patch hits?

To start off, why not have a look at the currently popular builds and how they can be reimagined with the next patch (I’ll just go over the Traits and leave out equipment choices for now, most skill choices should be obvious, e.g. Lightning reflexes, Entangle, Troll Unguent):

Condi Survival~
S/T + A/D
Beastmastery is far superior to Nature Magic in my opinion. Beastly Warden is amazing. Blind and weakness on F2 combined with bird pets should be awesome as well.
Can’t quite decide wether to use Ambidextery or Refined Toxins, both sound like great traits, although high poison uptime should help against many classes.

Quick Draw will probably end up being my new favorite trait, it just gives you more of what you actually need. Quickdraw Bonfires for point defense should work out great.

EDIT:
Some quick napkin math concerning condition damage:
Assuming a pretty ordinary setup many people run, lets just take Rabid amulet with Krait runes for a quick calculation.
Bleeding Damage now: 113/tick
Bleeding Damage after patch: 173/tick
That’s roughly a 50% boost in bleeding damage, a simple Geomancy proc -> Splitblade combo should net 9 to 10 bleeds (depending on how often the bleed on crit trait procs) which works out to 1560-1730 damage per second. Pretty decent if you ask me.

Lets take a look at bonfire: Burning duration got increased from 1s to 3s, so you should be able to get at least 3 stacks of burning up. In addition to that, Throw Torch now inflicts 2 stacks of burning for 6 seconds
Burning Damage now: 680/tick
Burning Damage after patch: 350/stack
So, at 2 stacks, you will get a slight boost (700 compared to 680) per tick, at 3 or more stacks burning gets a massive dps boost. Neat.

Power Ranger, Offensive~
LB + GS
Primal Reflexes got a slight nerf, but it’s still worth running in my opinion. Might as well grab spotter since the other two traits are lackluster for power builds.
Easy access to fury thanks to Clarion Bond, pick whatever master trait you want in Marksmanship, they all have their uses.
Wilderness Survival is a must for condi remove, combined with Troll Unguent being a survival skill now, this should give you decent survivability on top of great damage.
Quick Draw is a must for power rangers in my opinion since it lets you adapt to different situations easily. Got caught off guard and need to get away quickly? Swap to GS, Swoop, Dodge, Swoop again. More knockbacks, 10s CD barrage, more blocks on GS, double Maul or double RF if you need to finish someone off, basically a huge bonus all around.

Power Ranger, Defensive~
LB + GS
Since stats are now seperate from trait lines, and longbow gets 1.5k range and velocity increase baseline, you can play power ranger and not spec into marksmanship at all. Why should you do this?
Superior control options with Beastly Warden. Blind and weakness on pet F2 are flat out amazing, especially if they don’t have an ICD.
You do lose fury (not an issue because the survival skills give 6s fury each) & swiftness on pet swap, piercing arrows and moment of clarity though.

Concerns:
I would like to see some builds utilizing shouts, including the new “We Heal As One”, but Troll Unguent combined with the new Wilderness Knowledge is crazy strong and should be tough to beat.

Also every build out there will have to use Wilderness Survival, since it’s the only source of condi removal traits, Wilderness Knowledge being the strongest one in my opinion.

Nature Magic will probably only get picked by bunkery builds, although I really like Protective Ward. Running Nature Magic, Wilderness Survival and Beastmastery should work for more defensive condi builds though.

Sukkla
Probably still playing ranger.

(edited by coax.2951)

in Ranger

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

Power LB/GS Variant

This is what I’m very likely going to run in pvp, at least to test out a bit. The point of this one is to survive against thieves. They ruin power rangers, and they’re going to be even stronger come Tuesday.

(edited by Thz.7569)

in Ranger

coax.2951

The new Bark Skin should help a lot with those backstabs out of nowhere.
I feel like Wilderness Survival (for condi remove & general survivability) and Beastmastery (for the sheer amount of utility it offers) will be very popular in pvp, probably Skirmishing too. Nature Magic seems to be the odd one out, the only reason I see to take it is Protective Ward :/

Sukkla

in Ranger

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

I feel like Wilderness Survival (for condi remove & general survivability) and Beastmastery (for the sheer amount of utility it offers) will be very popular in pvp, probably Skirmishing too. Nature Magic seems to be the odd one out, the only reason I see to take it is Protective Ward :/

Protective Ward is the only reason, so you aren’t wrong. As the game is now, even with the added 300 tough from going 6 wilderness (which I do for EB), I still melt against good thieves without much of a fighting chance. Thieves are getting even better with the next update and you can bet your kitten they’ll be rolling over zerk builds even more than they do already. My going NM route is seeing if it gives me the valuable time I need to recover and survive their barrage of engage and disengage. If I’m still around 40% when they’ve used up most of their CDs, I should be able to win. That’s my initial thinking anyway. It could end up being unnecessary and I’ll be able to toy around with BM or Quick Draw, but I doubt it.

in Ranger

coax.2951

Protective Ward is the only reason, so you aren’t wrong. As the game is now, even with the added 300 tough from going 6 wilderness (which I do for EB), I still melt against good thieves without much of a fighting chance. Thieves are getting even better with the next update and you can bet your kitten they’ll be rolling over zerk builds even more than they do already. My going NM route is seeing if it gives me the valuable time I need to recover and survive their barrage of engage and disengage. If I’m still around 40% when they’ve used up most of their CDs, I should be able to win. That’s my initial thinking anyway. It could end up being unnecessary and I’ll be able to toy around with BM or Quick Draw, but I doubt it.

True, good thieves ruin a power rangers day in a heartbeat and Protective Ward should help a lot with that. I’ll toy around with different builds once the patch hits, pretty much have to wait until we can test it in a real match to see what works and what doesn’t.

Sukkla

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

My thoughts are something supporty like this:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-J73Fk;0wEFt-a2VDF-0;9-6A;1_ab;0136247256;4V717X;1ZF18ZF189M

Solid AoE condition cleanse, some disruption from Beast Mastery, some AoE weakness, huge chunk of survivability and considerable condition damage.
The perma AoE swiftness and Regeneration is to be loved as well.

I might have gone a bit wrong at some places, but basically this “Ranger Shoutbow” version sounds totally legit. And you also bring a fire field to the table.
I’ll definitely give the build a try. If I miscalculated, I’ll realize it sooner or later.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

My thoughts are something supporty like this:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-J73Fk;0wEFt-a2VDF-0;9-6A;1_ab;0136247256;4V717X;1ZF18ZF189M

Solid AoE condition cleanse, some disruption from Beast Mastery, some AoE weakness, huge chunk of survivability and considerable condition damage.
The perma AoE swiftness and Regeneration is to be loved as well.

I might have gone a bit wrong at some places, but basically this “Ranger Shoutbow” version sounds totally legit. And you also bring a fire field to the table.
I’ll definitely give the build a try. If I miscalculated, I’ll realize it sooner or later.

I’m going to try similar, but battle sigils instead of leeching.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Oh and warhorn instead of dagger for the blast.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Any new hot builds anyone figured out?

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

The builds I’ve been having the most success with are both condition builds.

Skirmishing, Wilderness Survival, and Nature Magic with Axe/Dagger, Sword/Torch. Settler’s (or carrion, still testing this part, conditions in pvp are…. really broken right now in some instances, and the high hp seems valuable) with Energy/Geomancy Sigils and Krait Runes.

Healing Spring, Sharpening Stone, Lightning Reflexes, and Signet of the Wild, with Entangle.

Pets: Wolf and either Drakehound or River Drake.

Traits (for this we are going to go from 1 to 3 in each slot, 1 being the top option, 2 being the middle, so on):
Skirmishing: 3 3 1
Wilderness Survival: 2 3 2
Nature Magic: 1 1 2
Very tanky, very evasive, and a 24 second cooldown Healing Spring to deal with all of the obnoxious condition spam that hits like a truck right now (Guardians -.-).

The other is Wilderness Survival, Nature Magic, and Beastmastery. Same weapons, sigils, and runeset as above. Same utilities except I replace Healing Spring with Troll Unguent, though even at 30 seconds and less “lolregen duration” I’m still thinking Healing Spring will end up being better, at least until the meta settles (or it will remain if the meta settles on some of these obnoxious condi builds).

Pets: Eagle and Owl

Traits:
Wilderness Survival: 3 1 2
Nature Magic: 1 1 2
Beastmastery: 1 1 1
Very strong dueling build. The pet is just obnoxious, and you easily maintain perma-weakness on an opponent, and the pet has very good damage output.

I’m still playing around with power builds. I think that overall, time to kill has become a bit too fast for my liking across the board though and on ranger specifically that doesn’t have the same sort of survival based gimmicks that classes like thieves and mesmers gained; it just really hasn’t been for me so far.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I’ve been hearing about a pretty strong trap build through the grapevine.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Posted this in the other pvp thread too…

Someone try this for me, since I cannot play and let me know how it goes! Please!? hehe
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=VKF7g;1sEFu-g2cDV-0;9-6E;1Y_b;0237156247;4XkW7R;1nBnBnBnBb0K

Just swap the runes to Altruism instead of Dwayna, the calculator doesn’t have those.

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

Traps amazing for bunker just sit on point and get them pulsing.
HS pretty much perma -5% damage with oakheart

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: joste.3812

joste.3812

Just given this a go. Changed snake to fire trap, but its great fun. only problem are ranged classes who can just sit outdistance.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Just given this a go. Changed snake to fire trap, but its great fun. only problem are ranged classes who can just sit outdistance.

Nice. Well, if you can evade, use HS and stay on the point while sending your pet out to blind and weaken them, you are winning.