MDG needs more thought.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: singinggecko.5736

singinggecko.5736

Instead of just saying how bad it is, how about we do two things here to be productive with our talking and hopefully help anet if they should ever (pleaaaase) buff this trait. 1: Keeping all the “while your health is below X%, you gain Y seconds of Z stacks of Might every second” format, what numbers would you have to see for X and Y to consider taking this trait at the grandmaster level with nothing else added to it? For example (not my opinion btw it could be x-75% y-3 seconds z-2 stacks) for what you would consider to have a toss-up between that and the other 2 gm traits.
2: What could be added/changed to the current mechanic to make it at that toss-up level? For example, the trait could also pulse fury or give a flat damage boost at that level. I’d love to hear everyones’ thoughts!

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Instead of just saying how bad it is, how about we do two things here to be productive with our talking and hopefully help anet if they should ever (pleaaaase) buff this trait. 1: Keeping all the “while your health is below X%, you gain Y seconds of Z stacks of Might every second” format, what numbers would you have to see for X and Y to consider taking this trait at the grandmaster level with nothing else added to it? For example (not my opinion btw it could be x-75% y-3 seconds z-2 stacks) for what you would consider to have a toss-up between that and the other 2 gm traits.
2: What could be added/changed to the current mechanic to make it at that toss-up level? For example, the trait could also pulse fury or give a flat damage boost at that level. I’d love to hear everyones’ thoughts!

Did you read the 1st post?

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

When you select MDG, automatically switch to QuickDraw…

Seriously though I’m not taking this thing ever. Quickdraw is one of the best skills in the game, especially for pvp. The only reason not to take it would be for a pve damage modifier.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Seriously though I’m not taking this thing ever. Quickdraw is one of the best skills in the game, especially for pvp. The only reason not to take it would be for a pve damage modifier.

In PvE – Quick Draw is a damage boost as well.
And you are capped at 25 might anyways. What’s the point ?

“Observe, learn and counter.”

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It would have to be pretty great to compete with Quick Draw, because it offers everything, depending on the situation and your choice. More DPS? Check. More Mobility? Check. More Defense? Check. More Team Support? Check.

The only way I can see MDG bringing anything to the table is with something unique.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I really hate watching dev’s discuss rangers. I don’t think I’ve seen an stream yet where they aren’t calling rangers annoying or snickering about bearbows.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yes, it is very unprofessional. I always imagine how it would be if I were giving the presentation. It would be vastly better.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

In PvE – Quick Draw is a damage boost as well.
And you are capped at 25 might anyways. What’s the point ?

Yeh I know, meaning MDG would have to do something crazy like a permanent 20% damage increase or something like that.

It’s a stinker.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

Careful now, last time they reduced Shortbow range from 1200 to 900 because they wanted to make the Longbow better.

I can see it now:
Quick Draw reduced from 66% to 10% to make Most Dangerous Game more viable.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Careful now, last time they reduced Shortbow range from 1200 to 900 because they wanted to make the Longbow better.

I can see it now:
Quick Draw reduced from 66% to 10% to make Most Dangerous Game more viable.

Maybe we’ll get an ”animation fix” that causes all of our weapons to attack slower unless we run MDG

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

+25% movement speed above 50% health and 2s of fury whenever you hit with an attack while under 50% health. That would be massive (with remorseless). Haha. I’d never run anything else then lol.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

+25% movement would actually make a great trait since it opens up either a utility slot or your runes (if you don’t go the permanent swiftness route).

However, I don’t agree with yet another fury stacking trait simply because it has synergy with Remorseless. Not everyone wants to run Remorseless.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Well, fury stacking on hit would be seriously OP as it would essentially give you 25% damage and 100% crit chance with Remorseless, so that won’t happen. Was sorta meant as a joke.

But I do think +25% movement speed above 50% health and +50% crit chance below 50% health would be good, I’d probably use that.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

singinggecko.5736

Did you read the 1st post?

Yea, in fact I was trying to get the conversation back to what he was doing. He just laid out some ideas and had people start talking. I wanted to really guide people down my first option because I see a really lazy fix- if any- coming to this where they only change how many might stacks we get or the % we get it at. I wanted the info to be there for anet if they’d ever read it so we don’t get like 2 might stacks for 3 seconds or something equally as bad.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Why does it even have to be JUST under 50%?
Could it do something along the lines of:
Successful attacks refill 5% of your endurance(1s cooldown so no aoe nonsense)
Evading an attack cripples(2s) enemies in a 300 radius
Under 50% health gain 8s of might every second
Evading an attack also gives your pet 3s of fury and 3s of Quickness

Just a random thought but basically give SOME kind of buff above 50% that could be used skillfully.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

it wouldn’t have been easy before, it’s about impossible now. too many classes can burst too high at the moment.

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

It seems like an odd suggestion, but Quick Draw is unique and one hell of a fantastic trait for all modes. That said, I’d rather see MDG turned into a PVE only trait similar to “Bolt to the Heart” and “Close to Death.” Just a flat 20% damage boost against foes under 50% health.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It would be far better if the condition was the foe being under 50%…

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Odd you mention that, as Necromancer’s have a MINOR trait that grants them 2 stacks of might for 10s when striking a foe under 50% health with a 1s ICD!

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I actually mentioned that one already, its called Siphoned Power. Far better than MDG and its a Minor trait.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

Just a random thought, but how about something similar to the ele’s diamond skin? Something that either gives immunity to conditions after a certain health threshold, or removes or transfer conditions. Rangers could definitely use condi removal in other traitlines.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

they seem so set on screwing rangers with might stacking.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

~ Most Dangerous Game
When at or below 50% health a trigger will activate to note the damage you received. After 3 seconds – your next auto-attack will deal bonus damage equal to 100% of the damage you received. This effect has a 15 seconds interval cooldown.

Thoughts, anyone?

(edited by Tragic Positive.9356)

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

singinggecko.5736

Oh my. That would be deserving of grandmaster status! I would soooo use that. Really really cool idea and probably op but man would that be fun with Signet of stone or protect me right when you hit low health to stay alive for that monster hit.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Oh my. That would be deserving of grandmaster status! I would soooo use that. Really really cool idea and probably op but man would that be fun with Signet of stone or protect me right when you hit low health to stay alive for that monster hit.

Well, in the current meta, you usually live for 3 seconds starting from 100%.
But this would be the answer for tank builds as well as builds with SoS / Protect me to make sure you don’t die.

And as it says – it would be The Most Dangerous Game.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

~ Most Dangerous Game
When at or below 50% health a trigger will activate to note the damage you received. After 3 seconds – your next auto-attack will deal bonus damage equal to 100% of the damage you received. This effect has a 15 seconds interval cooldown.

Thoughts, anyone?

That kind of makes more sense. A guaranteed nuke that you can prepare for with sos.

I’d probably want it to change the skill bar though, giving you a new skill so that you can time it properly (as opposed to auto).

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

singinggecko.5736

It certainly would be! It’d make it really intense when you were going for it too! Could you imagine the havoc in the forums if it was like that?

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Just make it a GM minor, and activate When foe is below 50%

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’d rather keep Hunter’s Tactics. Plus then we’d still need another GM trait. May as well just make this one viable.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah, I’d rather keep Hunter’s Tactics as well. Though, I do agree to have MDG activate when the foe is below 50% health. Having the Ranger under 50% is a bad concept that should be reserved for all of those “Gain Regeneration” recovery type traits. Even then, it needs to be something better than 1 stack of might every 1s for 8s.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

I read through a little bit of this thread and came to like the idea of this trait resembling a cornered animal. I would like to see the trait function as a fight or flight mechanic. If we were to keep the same concept (gain strength once below 50%), I would change it to my first suggestion. I’ll also list a second suggestion as reworked idea.

1. When you fall below 50% hp, gain 4 stacks for 6s every 3s. (A compromise fix to make this trait slightly more usable but still garbage. It will take 3s to get full benefit and you start out much better than you do currently.)

2. When you fall below 50% hp, activate Quickening Zephyr and gain resistance for 6s.
This gives you super speed, quickness, and condition immunity allowing you to fight or run with ease for a bit. Good synergy with marksmanship adept trait “Enlargement” but nature magic adept trait “Instinctive Reaction” may need to be changed (that would be a lot of quickness!). This seems a tad op and would probably need to be toned down slightly, but I doubt anyone could argue it being worthless.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Breaking Bad.6241

Breaking Bad.6241

“When under 1% health gain 25 might, 1 minute of fury and swiftness.”

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

I’ve grown a liking to Enlargement, which is a better trait than Most Dangerous Game.

Enlargement gives (below 50% health – 60s cooldown):

• 5 stacks of stability for 8s
  • +25% damage for 8s
  • +50% movement speed for 8s
  • (traited) instant 3 stacks of might for 15s

This trait will benefit you whenever it triggers. If it happens during combat, great (damage + movement speed + stability), if it happens during running away, still great (movement speed + stability).

Most Dangerous Game should give a flat 240 power and 240 condition damage below 50% health. It’s the same as 8 stacks of might, but can’t be improved with boon duration (nor boon stripped/stolen however). (compare with Last Rites)

But even then I’d still prefer Enlargement, because it will benefit me in any situation where I drop below 50% health.

The power is of course in the combination of the two, but by the time Most Dangerous Game powers up, Enlargement will already be gone.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

I’ve grown a liking to Enlargement, which is a better trait than Most Dangerous Game.

Enlargement gives (below 50% health – 60s cooldown):

• 5 stacks of stability for 8s
  • +25% damage for 8s
  • +50% movement speed for 8s
  • (traited) instant 3 stacks of might for 15s

This trait will benefit you whenever it triggers. If it happens during combat, great (damage + movement speed + stability), if it happens during running away, still great (movement speed + stability).

Most Dangerous Game should give a flat 240 power and 240 condition damage below 50% health. It’s the same as 8 stacks of might, but can’t be improved with boon duration (nor boon stripped/stolen however). (compare with Last Rites)

But even then I’d still prefer Enlargement, because it will benefit me in any situation where I drop below 50% health.

The power is of course in the combination of the two, but by the time Most Dangerous Game powers up, Enlargement will already be gone.

Wait Holland = Holl?

Anyway yeah I love enlargment, an adept trait too, at the same time, this is also affected by signet cd reduction traits bringing it down to an effective 48 sec cd.

EDIT: Haven’t tested it before but Having the signet trait brings enlargment to 36 seconds, dont know if this is a tooltip error

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

EDIT: Haven’t tested it before but Having the signet trait brings enlargment to 36 seconds, dont know if this is a tooltip error

That’s a bug currently. A few traits that reduce the cooldowns on a certain utility category will reduce it an additional 20% if a trait procs said utility. It also appears on “Flanking Strikes” for Thieves when you take the trait to reduce Trick skill cooldowns.

As to whether or not it actually reduced the cooldown by 40%, I haven’t tested it. Might just be a tooltip error.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Holland.9351

Wait Holland = Holl?

Nope. Who is Holl?

Anyway yeah I love enlargment, an adept trait too, at the same time, this is also affected by signet cd reduction traits bringing it down to an effective 48 sec cd.

I’m not sure the cooldown matters too much for Enlargement, but personally I don’t trait for signets (rather have Steady Focus), but it does show how Enlargement can even do Most Dangerous Game‘s job by giving 3 stacks of might instantly. MDG wants you to wait 3 seconds first and doesn’t give its full benefit unless you stay below 50% health for at least 8 seconds.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

When you and/or your pet are under 50% health, you gain

• 250 Power
  • 250 Condition Damage
  • 1s of stability every second

It would affect both player and pet, so if either is under 50% it would ‘activate’.
A flat damage modifier would be better than a better-over-time bonus as you DON’T want to stay low on health, and the stability is an added effect for some survivability. I mean don’t engineers get stability on a super low interval with a certain trait?

Other ways to tweak this trait would be to change the criteria to 75% health or move the trait to a lower tier.

Alternatively,

When you go below 50% health,

• Cast Signet of Stone 80s CD – 64s CD and 3 might when traited w/ Brutish Seals
  • Gain 2 stacks of Might for 5s every second

Signet of Stone would guarantee some survivability from direct damage, and since it can be traited, you can get a lower CD and a base 3 stacks of might
You’d also gain more stacks of might faster, and as Signet o Stone’s effect last 6s, you have a ‘safer’ way to stack at least 10 might

(edited by ProtoMarcus.7649)

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Stole some of your ideas…

MDG; When your health drops below 75%, you cast Sharpening Stone. While below 50% health, you gain 1s of Stability every second and +250 power and condition damage. If you fall below 25% health, you cast Signet of Stone.

(not much point in casting SoS at the same time as Enlargement).

I would use that then.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

I still think Keen Edge should still be re-added and merged with Hidden Barbs

And casting SoS at the same time as Enlargement would be amazing:
Unstoppable for 6s with a crapload of Might + 25% more damage. Now THAT’S a real Dangerous Game.

Enlargement and MDG with Signet of Stone Effect

• 6 base Might + 2 every second for 5s
  • 8s Stability
  • 6s Invulnerable to Direct Damage
  • 8s 50% Movement Speed
  • 25% Damage Increase

They have different cooldowns aswell, so while MDG would still apply the might effect, the SoS effect would be on cooldown.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

singinggecko.5736

Stole some of your ideas…

MDG; When your health drops below 75%, you cast Sharpening Stone. While below 50% health, you gain 1s of Stability every second and +250 power and condition damage. If you fall below 25% health, you cast Signet of Stone.

(not much point in casting SoS at the same time as Enlargement).

I would use that then.

I really like the whole tier effect your idea creates. Better effects as it gets more dangerous are fine by me. I’d use that.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

And casting SoS at the same time as Enlargement would be amazing:
Unstoppable for 6s with a crapload of Might + 25% more damage. Now THAT’S a real Dangerous Game.

Enlargement and MDG with Signet of Stone Effect

• 6 base Might + 2 every second for 5s
  • 8s Stability
  • 6s Invulnerable to Direct Damage
  • 8s 50% Movement Speed
  • 25% Damage Increase

They have different cooldowns aswell, so while MDG would still apply the might effect, the SoS effect would be on cooldown.

Copy/paste Enlargement but change the signet for MDG. Egh.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I kind of get the impression they’re going for a trait that makes you actively weigh the danger of remaining below the threshold versus the benefit the trait is granting.

Clearly one side of the scale needs to be incentivized, but I’m not sure removing the dangerous element in the process is in the best interest of promoting something to think about.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Just scrap the trait. Playing with low health is ridiculous, and no other class is forced to do that.

Sacrificing health for power is one thing, but remaining at low health is another thing altogether.

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Hmmm.
Well, why not that, then?

If it had controllable starting and stopping points, so you’re given the choices of determining when it’s ‘safe’ enough to start trading health for damage and how long you want to keep draining your health before you think the danger out-weighs the benefit.

Similar sort of risk-assessment going on, even if the theme might be a bit too Blood-Knighty.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Gotejjeken.1267

That could definitely be interesting, if they’d fix the burst meta. I mean at some point, it would reach what it is now, right? So you keep going until you are basically low health all the time if you want to be.

Or, since Anet likes killing our pets, how about the same line of thought is applied to them? Basically, sacrifice your pet for increased damage. It’s…a little weird lore-wise, but oh well (don’t call PETA!).

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Gotejjeken.1267

Just saw this post. I cannot stop laughing at ‘this is going to be really good.’

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Just saw this post. I cannot stop laughing at ‘this is going to be really good.’

IKR, how could anyone possibly think this?

MDG needs more thought.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

What about synergy with condition builds and Sharpened Edges/Hidden Barbs?

“While you are under 50% health, you have +50% crit chance and you inflict Torment for 2s with every attack you hit.”

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)