[Merged] New Patch: Big shortbow downgrade.

in Ranger

Posted by: Freky.1903

Freky.1903

I have no problem with the longbows damage. I have done testing and I find it just as viable as the shortbow if not better in some situations. It’s a different type of play style that I have no problem going into from time to time.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kildari.2480

Kildari.2480

Two things. I hate it when people call this class a ranged class. First of all a ranger is not someone who’s primary purpose is to shoot a bow or a gun. That would be a archer or a marksman.

A ranger is a person who passes over or through (an area or region) in all directions, as in exploring or searching.

Now while I HATE to agree with Durzlla, because he’s just annoying, he’s right in this case. The change was not that significant. It’s barely if at all noticible. Someone ran numbers in another thread and showed that the decrease in attack speed was exactly what they said it would be.

However, there is a concensus that QZ is either indeed bugged with shortbow as the attack speed is MUCH slower then before or quickness as a buff got seriously nerfed in this patch. This could be across the board though and other classes just haven’t noticed it yet since we’re the once who definitely would.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dware.4259

Dware.4259

This is stupid, im not leveling another toon to 80, ill check on the forums in a few weeks if this is fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Crossfire: Increased casting time by 40 milliseconds. This was done to fix some glitches in the animation that caused problems with this skill.

Umm.. I never had or saw any animation glitches or had problems. :/

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Yeah I never had any problems pre-patch with this skill. Personally I’m taking this as an excuse to nerf the shortbow.

I’m hoping they confused this with the sword animation problem.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Ranger

Posted by: gibby.9328

gibby.9328

honestly, it feels like it’s amateur hour with this company and whoever is in charge of the “ranger” department.

in Ranger

Posted by: LostMK.4089

LostMK.4089

Two things. I hate it when people call this class a ranged class. First of all a ranger is not someone who’s primary purpose is to shoot a bow or a gun. That would be a archer or a marksman.

A ranger is a person who passes over or through (an area or region) in all directions, as in exploring or searching.

Now while I HATE to agree with Durzlla, because he’s just annoying, he’s right in this case. The change was not that significant. It’s barely if at all noticible. Someone ran numbers in another thread and showed that the decrease in attack speed was exactly what they said it would be.

However, there is a concensus that QZ is either indeed bugged with shortbow as the attack speed is MUCH slower then before or quickness as a buff got seriously nerfed in this patch. This could be across the board though and other classes just haven’t noticed it yet since we’re the once who definitely would.

nice try with the attack speed bs

its not about the change in speed, its about what the slight change in speed causes: a huge decrease in damage output – nearly 30% depending on your build

in Ranger

Posted by: chasingfuries.9635

chasingfuries.9635

@kildari
yes the change isn’t noticeable when you’re not using quickness, lol that’s not the problem and it’s not what most people here are talking/concerned about. the build revolved around quickness and thats why its such a bad change

maybe it is a problem with quickness itself, but it doesnt really seem like it cause i tested axe 1 with qz and it looked like the same speed, so it could just be that sb1 is bugging out under the effect now.
what concerns me though is that either it was a stealth nerf that anet intended because they thought sb was OP otherwise, or that its a bug that will never ever get fixed. cuz ive seen that happen in a lot of games, and these devs dont appear to be too much better than others

(edited by chasingfuries.9635)

in Ranger

Posted by: Drau.8695

Drau.8695

I don’t know what you are talking about, guys. No big dps nerfs are there. I did some testings in HotM today and it turned out that I need 8-12% more time to kill a heavy golem using only auto-attacks. Yesterday it was 18.6 / 9.3 sec (in front / from behind), today it is 21.1 / 10.1 sec.

(20-30-20, Carrion Amulet, 5/6 Nightmare Runes)

in Ranger

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

OMG this is insane. We have been asking for so many changes to rangers, especially stuff that is buggy but not only do they ignore everything and only give attention (whether it is nerfing or buffing) to other classes, but they nerf our one best (most people agree) weapons for the class…. seriously, wth? we need to IMPROVE the ranger not screw it up… honestly, how anet has been handling things and not been handling things is very disappointing.

in Ranger

Kildari.2480

You did not get a 30% decrease in dmg output. That’s a fabrication and a made up number. We lost two total attacks through the course of 1 min.

We now get 118 attacks over 1 minute with the shortbow currently. Before patch it was 120 attacks over 1 minute. If you think a loss of two attacks is equal to 30% of your total dmg then I’d hate to know what you were doing the other 59 seconds.

Yes we lost damage through QZ but hopefully that’s just a bug but it still didn’t account for your supposed 30% decrease.

in Ranger

Posted by: PerioMortem.3126

PerioMortem.3126

There’s obviously a bug in the engine guys.. Yes it has slowed down more than 40 millionths of a second. If you can tell the difference between 40 ms you are a god.

P.S. I noticed it was slower and went to find out why.. That’s how I got here, so it is noticeable.. Somethings going on

in Ranger

Kildari.2480

PerioMortem. It’s mostly in your head. Check out this video posted a week ago. If you forward to exactly the 3min 40 mark you’ll see quickening zephyr being used. It’s completely slowed down so you can count the number of arrows shot. I saw 16 total. Now over the course of 4 seconds 16 arrows is 4 arrows a second. At 100% bonus speed that equates to 2 arrows a second unhasted which is 120 arrows in 1 minute.

Now go in game and check it yourself. You’re going to see we now get 118 arrows in 1 minute which is exactly the nerf they said. However you’ll also see that now QZ only gives 12 arrows which is NOT what is said. It’s QZ that is messed up.

in Ranger

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

There’s no way that JUST quickness was nerfed. The auto attack is very NOTICABLY slower and way less damage overall.

And yes krojack, there was definitely no glitches. Probably just a sad excuse to nerf shortbow.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

in Ranger

Posted by: Lanceor.2763

Lanceor.2763

Why nerf the atkspd of the Crossfire? its the only skill that makes rangers, rangers.

Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Kildari.2480

Wow Lost way to ACTUALLY go 3min 40 seconds in…..I guess you don’t really read and watch the first what 2 seconds of the video?

in Ranger

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

I don’t know what the hell they did to it, but damage has significantly been hit. I have my dps notes from before the nerf, and I ran tests again. We lost over 30% overall damage. I’d check quickening zephyr, but I never ran tests on it previously, but I notice I am getting fewer bleeds with it.

in Ranger

Kildari.2480

I will say they MIGHT have nerfed our short bow damage in general or maybe our bleed damage was decreased. Thats completely possible and not something I have done any research on. Anyone have numbers to confirm this?

The slight decrease in regular attack speed will not result in a 30% dmg loss. It has to be somewhere else if his is true.

in Ranger

LostMK.4089

Is anet so wracked with guilt they can’t even dignify our concerns with a response? Not surprising since they have no qualms with severely stealth nerfing a class to being unplayable.

in Ranger

LostMK.4089

I guess you people are new to the idea of a “stealth nerf”

ArenaNet despises the ranger class, playstyle, and the people who play MMO’s on those classes/playstyles

Time to start leveling your warrior or elementalist alt (soon to be main, till they get nerfed too! XFD troll’d by the mighty anet)

in Ranger

Posted by: Thezy.4136

Thezy.4136

Just my luck… When I finally start to feel ranger is an okay class and do lots of stuff with it, it gets ruined. Time to go back to warrior then That’s what this nerf is about I guess.

Also, I never noticed any glitches with the SB.

in Ranger

takatsu.9416

honestly i think anet has something against rangers.. not only do they ignore all the bugs and issues that we have voiced, that really messes with the class, but they have to nerf a weapon that never had any issues and was the only weapon we were proud of… for no reason. the ranger needs a lot of improvements. we can see in patch updates theygive attention to other classes ,whether it is buffing or nerfing they do some detailed nitpicking but for rangers, nothing. our skills, pets and things are often pretty much bugs and ineffective. i still love it and its fun but it needs to be fixed not messed up more!

in Ranger

takatsu.9416

this is dumb. and we not only have them ignoring our bugs and issues but get our pretty much best weapon nerfed. do they know about this? i suggest we all report this as bugs if we haven’t done so already. it is a bug for all im concerned if their note is just supposed to be a 40 ms decrease. its a bug that its much more than that and quickness isn’t effecting it nearly enough as it should

in Ranger

takatsu.9416

have we all reported this as bugs? theyre bugs as far as im concerned. if we go by their notes it should not affect our dps as such. they need to fix it among many other issues with the ranger, wher they have given very detailed looks at other classes, we received practically nothing

in Ranger

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

Is anet so wracked with guilt they can’t even dignify our concerns with a response? Not surprising since they have no qualms with severely stealth nerfing a class to being unplayable.

They did dignify our concerns with a response. Jon Peters said he was looking into it. The sense of entitlement from some members of this community is kittening ridiculous. Mistakes happen, and they sometimes take more than an hour to fix.

ANet have absolutely no incentive to stealth nerf, they don’t have some irrational hatred for certain classes they themselves created, and there’s no conspiracy to wreck your personal hopes and dreams. A mistake was likely made, and a dev has acknowledged that they’ll look into it. Just relax and let them do their jobs.

in Ranger

takatsu.9416

lol okay thats good news, thanks for the update. however, patch updatse relating to rangers shouldn’t be nerfing anything imo. we already have a lot of issues. things need to be improved, pets and skills more responsive, random obstructions, skills missing at point blank range and onward, some of these are buggy not our playing problems.

in Ranger

mouse.1689

It is possible for underpowered classes to have overpowered abilities that require balancing, but in general I agree with you that Ranger is in a spot right now where it doesn’t require nerfs. Especially not before it sees some improvement to pet AI and reliable condition removal.

That said, a .04 second increase to Crossfire attack speed is really not a big deal at all, assuming it was actually implemented correctly. There’s clearly an issue with the way it’s interacting with Quickness at the moment, and that actually is a big deal.

in Ranger

Posted by: Adrenaline.2854

Adrenaline.2854

Yea, I would love to see a lot more tweaking for Rangers. Especially for our pets.
It’s true though, there was NOTHING wrong with the Shortbow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Graevarg.4871

Graevarg.4871

Well this is pretty much the straw that broke the back of my ongoing interest in playing GW2. I came into the game to play a Ranger, ran up to 80/400/400 in 3 weeks and have watched with confusion as the class development is seemingly adrift. Rather than address widely called-for customer issues like pet AI behavior or others, they nerf what was for me one of the better-working tools in my toolbox. Between this trend, and the fact that I have no interest in working to get either fruitcake “flowers, unicorns and rainbow” bows, I think I’ll bid y’all best o luck and join my buddies playing Borderlands 2.

in Ranger

Posted by: faytte.1057

faytte.1057

Its not a .04 increase.

There are already videos up shwoing the difference. Before patch you would fire 2.4 arrows a second. Post patch you fire 1.9 arrows a second. So .5 arrows a second loss, over even 2 seconds means one less arrow, etc etc.

in Ranger

Adrenaline.2854

Agreed. Instead of nerfing the shortbow, which has nothing wrong with it in the first place, they should fix our pets, and buff the longbow.

in Ranger

Posted by: faytte.1057

faytte.1057

Our pets our terrible. Longbow is just crap as well.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

Honestly, this isn’t as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Using SB/LB in my build I’m nearly 1v2ing people and HAVE 1v2’d them today. It IS a noticeable change, I agree, however it isn’t as bad as you all are letting on.

Maybe I’m just in the zone tonight, but I’ve had no issues with it. It could also be that I just now started using LB in my build and wasn’t playing like a total nub like I usually do, but still. If I can beat people fairly easily with it I don’t understand why people are griping.

Besides, the SB did kinda need a small nerf and that’s what it got.. a SMALL nerf. I would be more concerned with how it’s working with quickness. That being said, maybe THAT was the intended angle all along; Quickness is still pretty OP.

in Ranger

Adrenaline.2854

Why did the SB need a nerf? Because it was hitting too hard? LOL @ that. I think the SB was perfect.

in Ranger

Posted by: ocfallwind.4821

ocfallwind.4821

They should have fixed the sword and give ranger players one more choice of weapon, instead of taking another off the picture as well.

in Ranger

arcaneclarity.5283

Rangers: “Short bow is our only good weapon.”
ArenaNet: Nerfs short bow.

in Ranger

LostMK.4089

They did dignify our concerns with a response. Jon Peters said he was looking into it. The sense of entitlement from some members of this community is kittening ridiculous. Mistakes happen, and they sometimes take more than an hour to fix.

ANet have absolutely no incentive to stealth nerf, they don’t have some irrational hatred for certain classes they themselves created, and there’s no conspiracy to wreck your personal hopes and dreams. A mistake was likely made, and a dev has acknowledged that they’ll look into it. Just relax and let them do their jobs.

“sense of entitlement”

proof that your entire post is just one big troll

please leave, thank you

in Ranger

Posted by: BAMBOO.9430

BAMBOO.9430

<level 80 ranger and 35 ranger alt who hated being pidginholed into “crossfire to win”

I don’t understand how people can feel like short bow attack rate is/was legit or a good thing we had going for us in terms of developer attention. It was head and shoulders, then standing on top of your pet, above every other weapon we have available in terms of auto attack damage. The DPS of the auto attack with the bleed was above full skill compliments of pretty much every other weapon in every situation.

From a simple metrics standpoint, it had to have shown a significantly disproportionate amount of DPS/killing blows/combo field charges and everything else that is applicable.

Am I going to be set back for a while because of the change? probably. Am I glad that I’ll be able to use different weapon load-outs without feeling like I’ve lost too much or holding back my group? Definitely.

Also, quickness works fantastically with rapidfire to a very similar burst effect. If you can’t get kills with that, you need to adjust your stats.

in Ranger

arcaneclarity.5283

The short bow was head and shoulders above all other Ranger weapons because it was the only viable Ranger weapon. That was an issue with all the other weapons, not the short bow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wulfsbayne.8401

Wulfsbayne.8401

I am not gonna debate if the nerf was too much or unwarranted. The only reason I am posting is you people are making me CRAZY with claims of “STEALTH NERF!!”

It was in the patch notes people. I am not saying the numbers are right or that it is what was advertized, but it was NOT a stealth nerf by any means.

Had this change rolled out with NO announcement, THAT is a stealth nerf. If you are going to tear your hair and beat your chest, I can’t say that I do not understand why, but please do not muddy the waters with a completely erroneous (wrong) phrase.

Main: Dariak Wulfsbayne (Norn Ranger)
Proud member of [OMFG]

in Ranger

mouse.1689

LostMK.4089

“sense of entitlement”

Sorry, there isn’t a more accurate way to describe the contents of your posts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pimpslapper.2047

Pimpslapper.2047

Gods forbid! a 40 millisecond, which should be .024 of a second slower and not .040 if I am not mistaken. They should have made it more IMO. I play a ranger too and the SB 1 skill is just skilless. This is a minor and needed nerf of the class IMO. No need to whine, just learn to adapt. SB is just easy Iwin…

in Ranger

Posted by: Targren.6073

Targren.6073

Gods forbid! a 40 millisecond, which should be .024 of a second slower and not .040 if I am not mistaken.

No, “millisecond” means 1/1000th of a second, or .04 seconds, so you are mistaken. I’m not sure where you got .024 from, unless you’re using a base-60 calculation incorrectly.

in Ranger

Adrenaline.2854

So like.. am I the only person that still has in mind that they did this change due to glitches being caused with it? I’m still wondering what the glitch is/was.
Or is it really true that ANet is using that as an excuse to nerf the bow?

Either way, I’m still not liking the change for SB :|

in Ranger

Adrenaline.2854

Seeing as no one replied back with what the glitch/bug was being caused due to Crossfire, I’m guessing there was none to begin with.
I guess ANet really did nerf the bow just to nerf it, for who knows what.

in Ranger

arcaneclarity.5283

The glitch is that the Ranger has a good weapon.

in Ranger

Posted by: Foosa.6741

Foosa.6741

indeed it’s not a huge dps loss normally but on quickening zephyr it’s very noticeable, and also noticeable is the +dmg crossfire got, it ain’t? nothing there? that’s a surprise, usually when you nerf atk speed you buff dmg so the dps atleast stays the same, the excuse thought is precious, personally bs meter getting quite full…

in Ranger

arcaneclarity.5283

I wish people would quit blindly saying it wasn’t a big dps loss. I ran dps tests. We lost over 30% of our dps on the short bow.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

I think they should boost guardians also, they so not op right now. Also maybe lower rangers HP for 30%.
/facepalm

in Ranger

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

I have a thief and ranger and it feels like more nerfs are to come for both. Here i come warrior i guess.

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster