New pets?

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Dragon.4782

Dragon.4782

I saw the live stream for Path of Fire and one of the devs mentioned that “they were excited for the soulbeast, especially with all the new pets we are adding,” I have already seen an Iboga and some antelope looking creature as two of the new pets. What do you guys think will be added as potential pets? I am going to guess lions, dune lizards, and crocodiles will also be added, but what do you ladies and gentlemen want to see fight by your side?

Attachments:

(edited by Dragon.4782)

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

This video shows us the fuse animation for a bunch of pets and one is a Dolyak

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

I want a turtle, cause I love turtles

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Vyriis.6258

Vyriis.6258

Don’t think those are the fuse animations. If you watch when she fuses with the warthog at the start of that bit it has no such animation. I’m gunna go ahead and say those animation (Bird, Bear, Dolyak, and Wolf) were the stances.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I doubt we’ll ever get this one but I would LOVE to get the Mistfire Wolf (from the original GW2 Deluxe) as a Ranger pet! It’s special F2 ability could then have it summon the pups!

In addition to that I have no idea why they never gave us a Dolphin to tame as I think that would have made a great underwater pet and it’s already in the game.

Attachments:

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

New pets?

in Ranger

Dragon.4782

I doubt we’ll ever get this one but I would LOVE to get the Mistfire Wolf (from the original GW2 Deluxe) as a Ranger pet! It’s special F2 ability could then have it summon the pups!

In addition to that I have no idea why they never gave us a Dolphin to tame as I think that would have made a great underwater pet and it’s already in the game.

Preach to the choir about the dolphins, they would be great dps/support pets. As for mistfire wolves isn’t that the F2 of Hyenas? To summon more to our side?

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Preach to the choir about the dolphins, they would be great dps/support pets. As for mistfire wolves isn’t that the F2 of Hyenas? To summon more to our side?

Yes, the Hyena F2 can summon an extra hyena.

The Mistfire Wolf was a bit different as it was more of a spell where it summoned the ‘pups’ which then launched themselves into the air and rained on a location as projectiles. So it was more of an AoE.

• Mistfire Storm – Drops 5 mistfire shards around target foe’s location. Each shard deals 600 base damage, chill for 4 seconds and set the targets on fire for 3 seconds

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34TOY_vYsSQ

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

(edited by Aveneo.2068)

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Don’t think those are the fuse animations. If you watch when she fuses with the warthog at the start of that bit it has no such animation. I’m gunna go ahead and say those animation (Bird, Bear, Dolyak, and Wolf) were the stances.

Sadly I think you’re right and that Levetty is a false prophet of the Dolyak

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

From what I’ve gleaned from the stream, there looks like at least four new pets.

The Iboga (the plant thing in the soulbeast video on the website), some kind of rock deer thing (briefly shown in the trailer) and those are the two pets in the OPs post.

The other one I saw seems to be a Jackaranda (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Stormseed_Jacaranda) another plant creature from Nightfall. Bizarely they were air elementalists with lightning magic (which might be strange on a pet) and the Ibogas were mesmers with domination magic iirc. It seems possible that the Iboga and the Jacaranda may be from the same pet family, both being plants.

The other creature I saw that I think is a ranger pet was in the Woodenpotatoes stream in the PvP lobby when he’s by the golems showing off elite specs (sadly he doesn’t do soulbeast). You don’t get a good look at it but it looks like some kind of wolf/cat-like creature with a longish tail. Another ranger walks up to the golem and seems to have it as their pet, although he quickly merges with it so it’s hard to get a good look.

Most of those skills in the Peachy video seem to be the new soulbeast stance skills, not a sign of a dolyak pet family.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Oh, that floaty plant thing might be a new pet? Awesome. I saw it in the WP stream but figured it was a tonic or something. Hope that it does end up being a new pet. Its probably the closest thing I’ll ever get to a pet Reef Rider, and that has been my #1 most wanted pet since forever.

Between that floaty thing and the plant snake, I’m already more excited about the PoF pets than I was about the HoT pets. Outside of the Wyverns nothing in HoT really struck my fancy all that much, and at the time of release Wyverns were god-awful anyway (thankfully they’ve been fixed since). That’s not to say that the Smokescale and the Bristleback are bad by any means, other than both being really ugly aesthetically, but these new plant pets are a lot more interesting to me.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: imarah.7940

imarah.7940

The Aurora Peachy video (this one at 32:07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqj-yOPEudA&feature=youtu.be&t=2120) shows at least 5 new pets:

- Iboga
- Jacaranda
- Rock gazelle
- Two others between the Tiger and devourer on the third row of the pet selection screen, one of them leonine (a roaring ether maybe?)

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Dolphins would be nice, actually, yeah. Also raptors, skelk, griffons.

I’m expecting to go 0 for 4 because that’s pretty much how it always goes. At least the mounts look cool.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

New pets?

in Ranger

Shiren.9532

The Aurora Peachy video (this one at 32:07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqj-yOPEudA&feature=youtu.be&t=2120) shows at least 5 new pets:

- Iboga
- Jacaranda
- Rock gazelle
- Two others between the Tiger and devourer on the third row of the pet selection screen, one of them leonine (a roaring ether maybe?)

She mouses over them briefly (like a fraction of a second). The one on the right is a “Sand Lion”. Maybe similar to the wolf mount? The lore on the HoT website says the wolf mounts are gifts of the djinn, magical sand or something along those lines. The djinn and the roaring ethers were closely related and they look similar so it’s possible sand lion and roaring ether are the same thing.

The one on the left look like Cheeta…. I think Cheetah? Maybe Cheetalk? The last two letters were hard to make out. It’s skill is Savannah Strike. Cheetah makes the most sense but it’s kind of purple? Maybe it’s a branded cheetah or something?

Jacranda looks like a proper support pet?

Spiritual Repreive
Restore Health to your allies and grant them a repreive from conditions.
Healing 4,235
Resistance 3.5 seconds
Targets 5
Cast time 1.5 seconds
Cooldown 40 seconds
Radius 600

and

Photosynthesize
Restore health, gain regeneration and remove conditons.
Healing 2,572
Regen 6 seconds
Conditions removed 2 seconds
Cast time 1 second
Cooldown 20 seconds

It also has a skill called Call Lightning (which fits the GW1 jacaranda tool kit).

From what I can tell, rangers get two skills from the pet (not the F2 skill unfortunately) and one skill from the pet category (different from family). In the case of the jacaranda, Photosynthesize and Call lightning are the pet skills and Spiritual Reprieve is the pet category skill (which is likely shared with other support type pet, like maybe the fern hound?).

When she goes over the Iboga skills it shows three skills, so it looks like rangers will absorb their pets and gain access to three skills from them. Iboga skills inflict confusion, so I’m betting they want you to play a condi ranger in PvP. The category skill (which is also shared with the warthog) is an AoE ranged bleed.

Also keep in mind, it’s likely the pet skills when used by the ranger will use ranger stats, so poor condi values on pets will be much more powerful when used by rangers with viper gear. The dagger skills seem very condi oriented, so expect lots of condition stacking from soulbeasts.

While merged with the Iboga she has a buff called “Deadly”.

Deadly: Merging with a Deadly pet has increased your condition damage and precision.

This might be how they make up for losing the raw stats of a ranger pet. If pets are classified into types and give buffs like according to their type (Deadly for DPS condi pets like Ibogas and maybe spiders, possibly something like Hearty for toughness and vitality from bears?) then this is the stat buff rangers have been asking for. I’m skeptical if it will be enough for the low damage numbers rangers get from their weapons – especially power rangers who are already struggling really bad.

It’s worth noting the warthog doesn’t give her its F2 skill (which is forage). It gives her Brutal Charge and Maul (in addition to a Beast skill that the Iboga gave her, so maybe warthog is a deadly pet and all deadly pets get that skill?). The drakehound doesn’t either, so you lose pet F2 skills in beast form? It’s really hard to tell.

There appears to be five new pets. Jacaranda (floating shrub thing that uses lightning magic), Iboga (cobra plant thing that inflicts confusion), Rock Gazelle (shown in the announcement trailer), Sand Lion and Cheetah.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

From what I can tell, rangers get two skills from the pet (not the F2 skill unfortunately) and one skill from the pet category (different from family). In the case of the jacaranda, Photosynthesize and Call lightning are the pet skills and Spiritual Reprieve is the pet category skill (which is likely shared with other support type pet, like maybe the fern hound?).

When she goes over the Iboga skills it shows three skills, so it looks like rangers will absorb their pets and gain access to three skills from them. Iboga skills inflict confusion, so I’m betting they want you to play a condi ranger in PvP. The category skill (which is also shared with the warthog) is an AoE ranged bleed.

Thanks for this. It is a pity we do not seem to inherit the F2 skill, I wonder why? However it makes sense that we also do not inherit the Pets Auto-attack skill, since we would never use that over our regular weaponskills.

I also read some tooltip that said that Traits that affect Pets may not work the same when merged with that pet. Makes sense but RIP to those OP combo’s.

I like how we inherit some sort of groupbuff/stat from the pet-group. Overall I think I am going to enjoy the new Elite spec, but then again, I am a strictly PvE Condi ranger, and do not care so much about PvP. And I hated Druid so this will be like my first Elite spec.

I can understand how PvP folks would be much more critical about how all of this works. For me, I just see a lot of added flavor (and new bugs probably).

Also, I have a need for speed, so I always MUST have some sort of Trait or Rune specced that gives me at least a 25% Permanent speed boost. Since I did not want to sacrifice a Utility skill for this, I used Druid spec for a long time, just for the Speed trait. I now dropped that and are using Runes instead that give me 25% speed.

However, if I can merge with my Pet and inherit the Speedboost that they get from Pet’s Prowess, that would be nice.

(edited by Tyncale.1629)

New pets?

in Ranger

Shiren.9532

I’m guessing they want to avoid giving us the F2 skill because many are very powerful and they still want us to have a reason to exit beast mode and use our pet.

It said traits may not work the same on the ranger but they can’t just outright ignore them (that would be bad design). Maybe they still work but are not as strong? The might on crit trait could be really strong (what would ranger shouts do?), but obviously things like Empathic Bond do? Will it just flat out remove the conditions from us while in beast mode?

I can’t see any way around it other than making skills and traits which give the pet something when used will now give it to the ranger instead wherever possible or whenever it makes sense.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

I’m guessing they want to avoid giving us the F2 skill because many are very powerful and they still want us to have a reason to exit beast mode and use our pet.

It said traits may not work the same on the ranger but they can’t just outright ignore them (that would be bad design). Maybe they still work but are not as strong? The might on crit trait could be really strong (what would ranger shouts do?), but obviously things like Empathic Bond do? Will it just flat out remove the conditions from us while in beast mode?

I can’t see any way around it other than making skills and traits which give the pet something when used will now give it to the ranger instead wherever possible or whenever it makes sense.

I agree, the inherited Traits should not be downgraded (or changed) too much when merged, else the Spec would fall flat, at least for me. I think something like Pet’s Prowess (Pet speed) could easily be inherited without much change(not sure how much speed you get, but if more then 33% then bring it down to that). Other traits seem to need a closer look.

New pets?

in Ranger

Dragon.4782

[quote=6666013;Shiren.9532:]

New pets?

in Ranger

Dragon.4782

- Iboga
- Jacaranda
- Rock gazelle

She mouses over them briefly (like a fraction of a second). The one on the right is a “Sand Lion”. Maybe similar to the wolf mount? The lore on the HoT website says the wolf mounts are gifts of the djinn, magical sand or something along those lines. The djinn and the roaring ethers were closely related and they look similar so it’s possible sand lion and roaring ether are the same thing.

The one on the left look like Cheeta…. I think Cheetah? Maybe Cheetalk? The last two letters were hard to make out. It’s skill is Savannah Strike. Cheetah makes the most sense but it’s kind of purple? Maybe it’s a branded cheetah or something?

Jacranda looks like a proper support pet?

Spiritual Repreive
Restore Health to your allies and grant them a repreive from conditions.
Healing 4,235
Resistance 3.5 seconds
Targets 5
Cast time 1.5 seconds
Cooldown 40 seconds
Radius 600

and

Photosynthesize
Restore health, gain regeneration and remove conditons.
Healing 2,572
Regen 6 seconds
Conditions removed 2 seconds
Cast time 1 second
Cooldown 20 seconds

It also has a skill called Call Lightning (which fits the GW1 jacaranda tool kit).

Also keep in mind, it’s likely the pet skills when used by the ranger will use ranger stats, so poor condi values on pets will be much more powerful when used by rangers with viper gear. The dagger skills seem very condi oriented, so expect lots of condition stacking from soulbeasts.

While merged with the Iboga she has a buff called “Deadly”.

Deadly: Merging with a Deadly pet has increased your condition damage and precision.

This might be how they make up for losing the raw stats of a ranger pet. If pets are classified into types and give buffs like according to their type (Deadly for DPS condi pets like Ibogas and maybe spiders, possibly something like Hearty for toughness and vitality from bears?) then this is the stat buff rangers have been asking for. I’m skeptical if it will be enough for the low damage numbers rangers get from their weapons – especially power rangers who are already struggling really bad.

It’s worth noting the warthog doesn’t give her its F2 skill (which is forage). It gives her Brutal Charge and Maul (in addition to a Beast skill that the Iboga gave her, so maybe warthog is a deadly pet and all deadly pets get that skill?). The drakehound doesn’t either, so you lose pet F2 skills in beast form? It’s really hard to tell.

There appears to be five new pets. Jacaranda (floating shrub thing that uses lightning magic), Iboga (cobra plant thing that inflicts confusion), Rock Gazelle (shown in the announcement trailer), Sand Lion and Cheetah.

I don’t quite see the cheetah, could you point it out for me? :p Also I am really excited for the gazelle and the others seem to be good too!

New pets?

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

Condi from Ranger doesn’t suffer the same problem as power attacks do of lower coefficents because of the Pet. That is why our Condi build is so much better.

So a small stat buff, the condis dagger seems to be able to stack and new pet skills should result in Condi being pretty good and making up for no pet. If power gets the same stat buff, say 150 power and 150 ferocity, then it definetly won’t make up for the lack of Pet, hopefully some of the pet merges add some pretty hard hitting power skills and maybe a power pet merge will give % increases instead.

New pets?

in Ranger

Shiren.9532

I don’t quite see the cheetah, could you point it out for me? :p Also I am really excited for the gazelle and the others seem to be good too!

It doesn’t look like a cheetah with its icon (which is why I am unsure if it is a cheetah) but that’s what the tool tip looked like to me. It’s located right next to the sand lion in the pet menu (it’s the purplish looking thing). If you watch the mouse overs, there is a fraction of a second where she hovers over the sand lion and cheetah tool tips as she’s moving the cursor down to the iboga and jacaranda. I don’t believe she realised they were new pets. It took me about 10 minutes of trying to freeze the video on the exact moment where the tool tip was visible (Youtube wasn’t helpful even at .25 speed).

There is footage of what I think is the cheetah in the announcement post-show. A ranger player attacks the golems with one for a few brief moments while the stream was showing off the weaver skills (https://youtu.be/FOr-LO38Mts?t=1h40m11s). That link should start you off just before the pet makes an appearance. It’s possible that might be the sand lion though.

Condi from Ranger doesn’t suffer the same problem as power attacks do of lower coefficents because of the Pet. That is why our Condi build is so much better.

So a small stat buff, the condis dagger seems to be able to stack and new pet skills should result in Condi being pretty good and making up for no pet. If power gets the same stat buff, say 150 power and 150 ferocity, then it definetly won’t make up for the lack of Pet, hopefully some of the pet merges add some pretty hard hitting power skills and maybe a power pet merge will give % increases instead.

I think it’s time they just give a raw buff to power weapons for ranger (sword at the very least). Power in general has fallen out of the meta but the strength of condi (which doesn’t suffer from the archaic scaling system of power with weapon skills) shows that a ranger with competitive DPS isn’t a problem for the meta. It also seems possible the soulbeast might actually buff the condi ranger build if the dagger skills are superior to axe and the trait line beats out the skirmishing or beast mastery ones.

Play any content with a glass power build on a ranger and compare it to a glass viper build to see how poorly balanced the state of power rangers is. I agree though, a raw stat buff from beast mode won’t change this. I’m actually concerned that because, if I understand it correctly, ranger weapon skills get less effective power from their stats compared to a class like the warrior, that throwing raw power at the ranger from absorbing a cat or a bird, it will actually be less effective than the pet itself was. I might not be understanding the state of stats and their interactions with skills, but I recall a discussion a while back saying that +1 power resulted in more damage on a warrior weapon skill than it did on a ranger one and it was theorized this was because ranger skills had lower stat scaling to account for the pet.

New pets?

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

It doesn’t look like a cheetah with its icon (which is why I am unsure if it is a cheetah) but that’s what the tool tip looked like to me. It’s located right next to the sand lion in the pet menu (it’s the purplish looking thing). If you watch the mouse overs, there is a fraction of a second where she hovers over the sand lion and cheetah tool tips as she’s moving the cursor down to the iboga and jacaranda. I don’t believe she realised they were new pets. It took me about 10 minutes of trying to freeze the video on the exact moment where the tool tip was visible (Youtube wasn’t helpful even at .25 speed).

There is footage of what I think is the cheetah in the announcement post-show. A ranger player attacks the golems with one for a few brief moments while the stream was showing off the weaver skills (https://youtu.be/FOr-LO38Mts?t=1h40m11s). That link should start you off just before the pet makes an appearance. It’s possible that might be the sand lion though.

I think it’s time they just give a raw buff to power weapons for ranger (sword at the very least). Power in general has fallen out of the meta but the strength of condi (which doesn’t suffer from the archaic scaling system of power with weapon skills) shows that a ranger with competitive DPS isn’t a problem for the meta. It also seems possible the soulbeast might actually buff the condi ranger build if the dagger skills are superior to axe and the trait line beats out the skirmishing or beast mastery ones.

Play any content with a glass power build on a ranger and compare it to a glass viper build to see how poorly balanced the state of power rangers is. I agree though, a raw stat buff from beast mode won’t change this. I’m actually concerned that because, if I understand it correctly, ranger weapon skills get less effective power from their stats compared to a class like the warrior, that throwing raw power at the ranger from absorbing a cat or a bird, it will actually be less effective than the pet itself was. I might not be understanding the state of stats and their interactions with skills, but I recall a discussion a while back saying that +1 power resulted in more damage on a warrior weapon skill than it did on a ranger one and it was theorized this was because ranger skills had lower stat scaling to account for the pet.

One thing to keep in mind though is that Soulbeast isn’t meant to be an upgrade but a variation, so there SHOULD be downsides to absorbing the pet, however it does seem like we’re going to gain a ton of utility from it, and in scenarios the pet is 100% worthless (I.E. sniping with a LB in wvW) even +1 power is more useful than the pet standing there idoly dying to AoE.

And last I checked our power ratios weren’t too far behind other professions, and seeing as how every weapon we have other than LB and GS are hybrid weapons I think ranger is going to abuse the new hybrid damage stat more than any other class will because we’re going to gain so much from it.

Also, I think our main power weapons are handicapped in ratio due to having a range of 1800 on one, and having a ridiculous amount of defense on the melee ones.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

I was and am hoping for only a few pets.

Melee devourer: Only because I feel we have them be a ranged pet in most cases, but in GW1 they had some who specialized in melee attacks and were mean as all hell.

Dune Lizard: We are in the crystal desert, and they are native too that desert.. could make them something of a land shark who leaps into the ground too move face and then bust out to attack.

Hydra: Come on We all know it would be kitten as kitten to have a hydra, These beasts were notorious for being annoying as kitten in the first game.

I was extremely disappointed and displeased with the HoT pets, I felt like we should of got something cooler and Im hoping this expansion delivers on the “wow look at that pet” factor. I main a ranger because I love having a pet, I have always been a pet class kind of guy. But to have so many of the pets be boring as hell average “Oh look a tiger” kind of thing? Really this is a fantasy world and you have so many cool beasts… let me have a little one who can be cool. But they probably are gonna give us some ugly plant/rock creatures, another feline and some other kitten. I feel like we should have more than four pets, and definitely have some cooler pets than we have.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zoe.4830

Zoe.4830

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soulbeast
On this you can see the up and coming PoF pets

New pets?

in Ranger

Thornwolf.9721

So we get stupid ass pets again, two plants and a rock deer.

They feel like they should of been in HoT’s with the other disappointing additions to our bestiaries. Christ and here I Was hoping for some beastly monsters to tame

New pets?

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

They feel like they should of been in HoT’s with the other disappointing additions to our bestiaries. Christ and here I Was hoping for some beastly monsters to tame

What do you even want as a pet if you don’t want a kittening Wyvern or a plant snake that uses illusions?

New pets?

in Ranger

Thornwolf.9721

Well again give me one of the better more kitten pets and don’t make it a kittening cute bobble head. Give me a hydra, or a dune lizard or some other monstrosity that I Get to tame so I can get something cool.

Im so sick and kittening tired of plant armor, plant animals and freaking plant people that I dont understand the concept of implementing more. I want some cool pets because again we have pretty ordinary pets from the base game. Wyverns were cool sure but they were poorly implemented and suck outside of the lighting one being a break bar stomper. A plant snake that comes to my knee is not scary, nor is it intimidating or remotely cool.

I saw that beautiful hydra and fell in love, A smaller variant who does not look like a baby would be amazing. Pair it with the dune surfing land shark that is the dune lizard, and maybe a melee devourer or some arachnid who got in the thick of it and id be happy.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The Iboga is a plant snake with a blender for a face and you clearly missed the lion creature as well as the other cat we’ll be getting.

I’d say we’re pretty set on beastly creatures.

Attachments:

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

New pets?

in Ranger

Thornwolf.9721

Still I feel like we have enough cat’s, its one of those “I want a new type of animal who makes me feel cool as well is useful”? We got a tiger last time? Im not really sure we need more felines two in one expansion is hurtful when they have those beautiful hydra’s. OR they could of brought back the native dune lizard who was really cool and would be good to see in GW2 just because I feel they would look so much better. Especially since they were essentially lizard like wolves who were meant for running/diving into the ground and chasing prey.

Just saying its underwhelming when you look at it from a broader spectrum, We have had wargs since launch but cant tame them? Yet we can tame a smokescale who has the same model. We cant tame raptors and they have been here since GW1, rock dogs, bats and even grubs.

Plant creatures? Really and more specifically Trash mobs from guild wars 1 who were annoying but not entirely hard to deal with? Im not sure how to feel about it.

New pets?

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

I guess? I mean, we’re lucky we are even getting anything new.

Don’t forget that this is extra coding they do just for us. We still get the same amount of new skills and traits that other classes get, plus new pets to play with. The HoT pets, with the exception of the tiger, were unique pet types they had to conceive and balance.

I mean, I get where you are coming from and it would be great to have the ludicrous amount of variety you can have as a WoW Hunter http://www.wow-petopia.com/ but the more family types they add, the more they have to balance.

WoW can get away with it because all pets work the same and can be specced to tank, dps, or pvp control. That’s it. A dps wolf functions exactly the same as a dps devilsaur (t-rex).

As much as I’d love one of those hydras like I had in WoW, the iboga’s enough for me and that thing next to the lion might even be some kind of gryphon. It’s impossible to say, only that it’s classified as a “cat” and will have those base abilities.

New pets?

in Ranger

Thornwolf.9721

Well I agree EXCEPT, They can add families of pets without the worry of balance like they have the saurians and the wyverns. Both of which are average and as far as we know will be the only additions in their respective family ( unless they change their minds).

One Hydra wont kill them to add especially since the model is done, this creature is ready with a few tweaks its fine. One hydra with similar abilities to its mob/world boss and it being made to attack more readily and more viably (looking at wyverns with sadness) and its good. I just want ONE solid kitten pet who makes me feel kitten when im beside it, The only good thing is the merging with the pets.

My disappointment can be settled down because I dont have to look at them, I can absorb them and hopefully ignore them the entire expansion. At least I wont be running around with a kittening lynx anymore.

But the dune lizard could of fit into the Drake family and just been so different and viable that it would fix the gripe people have about drakes being meh. Could of got a Hound this expansion too, or a bird of some sort? Maybe a devourer or Arachnid? They have other pet families outside of freaking Cat’s who need some love. They add …what two more with the two shrubs? Really? Im not excited for these beasts Like I should be, I made a ranger for the pets because I like having pets and being a pet class.

Im almost unsure if I will be motivated to go into a ranger this expansion.. which is sad because I have been a ranger main since GW1.

Side note combat Devourer or Spider would of been kitten. All the ones we have are ranged, a bigger meaner cousin would of been appreciated.

(edited by Thornwolf.9721)

New pets?

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

I mean it sounds easy to just shrink down an npc and give it to us but you have to then ignore how many nerfs both saurians received after HoT came out. They both also completely overshadowed our other pets for a long time.

They are also likley adding cat’s because that’s the best pet family for pve. Some are better than others but for just running around in the overworld, a snow leopard is more or less just as good as a lynx.

Adding a new spider or some hound that can’t beat out wolf/drakehound just means no one would use it.

Who uses the cave spider or white wolf? Not many unless they are Rp’ing. Same goes for the frost drake. I rarely even see people using the reefdrake anymore and people loved that thing despite it’s terrible F2.

New pets?

in Ranger

Thornwolf.9721

A melee spider who outdoes the others and makes the spiders have a viable counter part, a devourer who does the same. A drake who makes it so you WOULD see one of them out there, thats the issue. We have.. Cats. I like cats and all but I feel like the other families need some love

The Hot pet’s still are in many ways better than the others, I just feel that this was lazy and the pets themselves were lazy. Im not asking for nearly as much as other people, but when I see kitten I call it and this is all kitten. We got the shaft last expansion when it came to pet’s both thematically and viably. Now it seems like while viable they just… dont really feel like pet material?

Both plant creatures were EXTREMELY intelligent in GW1 and were stated to be almost as shady as humans were. You could not tame them due to their sheer will to be little kittens, and now you can? Oh but I cant tame a hydra who WERE a creature people would tame in GW1 albeit not the player but npcs spoke of it. SO they were tamable at least in the lore, and made good guard-dogs/ merc pets. Again they had the chance to give us something awesome and just spat out bleh, hope the spec as a whole is good. Ill be sad if this spec sucks kitten.

New pets?

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Still I feel like we have enough cat’s, its one of those “I want a new type of animal who makes me feel cool as well is useful”? We got a tiger last time? Im not really sure we need more felines two in one expansion is hurtful when they have those beautiful hydra’s. OR they could of brought back the native dune lizard who was really cool and would be good to see in GW2 just because I feel they would look so much better. Especially since they were essentially lizard like wolves who were meant for running/diving into the ground and chasing prey.

Just saying its underwhelming when you look at it from a broader spectrum, We have had wargs since launch but cant tame them? Yet we can tame a smokescale who has the same model. We cant tame raptors and they have been here since GW1, rock dogs, bats and even grubs.

Plant creatures? Really and more specifically Trash mobs from guild wars 1 who were annoying but not entirely hard to deal with? Im not sure how to feel about it.

I mean I wanted an Iboga when I played GW1, but I wanted it at actual size (like 2 humans tall) lol.

Also, I think the new cat is a roaring ether https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Roaring_Ether_ so it might be its own animal type instead of another cat.

New pets?

in Ranger

Dragon.4782

Honestly I feel like we could use more moas. Or at least bring back green and golden moas since they were going to be added initially. I mean imagine having a green moa that gave your allies regeneration, or a golden Moa that made allied mighty.

New pets?

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Honestly I feel like we could use more moas. Or at least bring back green and golden moas since they were going to be added initially. I mean imagine having a green moa that gave your allies regeneration, or a golden Moa that made allied mighty.

Gold gave vigor and swiftness, I miss him everyday

New pets?

in Ranger

Thornwolf.9721

As I said we have so many useless pets that making useful variants would be awesome.

New pets?

in Ranger

Dragon.4782

As I said we have so many useless pets that making useful variants would be awesome.

Owls that can apply conditions that actually help us in battle! Seriously, why just snowy owls? Where are the barn owls, burrowing owls, and great horned owls. Heck they had barred owls as critters in HoT so why not?

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Im just excited to test how much of a dmg/utility difference there is with having a pet out while using longbow vs sitting permanently in beastmode on longbow.

I like being a sniper, but I think power ranger still has one edge by possibly being more mobile during pew pew kiting as u can still use 1500 range on the move.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: CARNAGE.8604

CARNAGE.8604

Hello all, I have never posted on the forums to my knowledge, nor have I really read anything on here. I am a returning player. However I barely played back in 2012 so I am actually truly only playing the game as of this year

I like threads like this as I love the prospect of new mounts or pets. Back in 2012 I prided myself on having had all the pets within the first 2 weeks of the release of the game

So to add to this wonderful thread I would like to add these suggestions:

Land:
Cobra
Pangolins
Jumping Spider (cute bright coloured one with big eyes)
Mandrill ( Baboon with blue and red around the nose)
Chameleon
Rhinoceros
Civet
Wild Dogs (Elona is very African so I am going with the theme )
Mallard Duck
Gecko / Salamander

Underwater:

Killer Whales
Hammerhead Sharks
Pterois miles (Devils fire Fish in my language)
Sea Horse
Hippopotamus
Bullfrog or similar toad / frog specie (perhaps a colourful one instead)
Penguin

Attachments:

New pets?

in Ranger

Dragon.4782

Hello all, I have never posted on the forums to my knowledge, nor have I really read anything on here. I am a returning player. However I barely played back in 2012 so I am actually truly only playing the game as of this year

I like threads like this as I love the prospect of new mounts or pets. Back in 2012 I prided myself on having had all the pets within the first 2 weeks of the release of the game

So to add to this wonderful thread I would like to add these suggestions:

Land:
Cobra
Pangolins
Jumping Spider (cute bright coloured one with big eyes)
Mandrill ( Baboon with blue and red around the nose)
Chameleon
Rhinoceros
Civet
Wild Dogs (Elona is very African so I am going with the theme )
Mallard Duck
Gecko / Salamander

Underwater:

Killer Whales
Hammerhead Sharks
Pterois miles (Devils fire Fish in my language)
Sea Horse
Hippopotamus
Bullfrog or similar toad / frog specie (perhaps a colourful one instead)
Penguin

I THINK ORCAS WOULD BE THE BEST AQUATIC PET!! They could be a tank does or tank support! Sorry it is just that orcas are my favorite animal that isn’t in this game. Cobras do sound and with biogas added they now have a model to work with now just to alter it a bit. Pangolins and African wild dogs would’ve been perfect too!

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

Also, why do we have a ‘Swine’ family. Has there ever been a functional use for the piggies? If there is and I’ve missed it, I’d love to discover it. If not, maybe they could be removed/reworked?

Very easy to imagine an aggressive skill/use for a boar. A farmyard pig, less so.

EDIT: just thought about hyenas – just pep them up a bit to make them more useful in a burst damage scenario…

New pets?

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Also, why do we have a ‘Swine’ family. Has there ever been a functional use for the piggies? If there is and I’ve missed it, I’d love to discover it. If not, maybe they could be removed/reworked?

Very easy to imagine an aggressive skill/use for a boar. A farmyard pig, less so.

EDIT: just thought about hyenas – just pep them up a bit to make them more useful in a burst damage scenario…

The pigs are actually probably my favorite pet family, they’ve got decent damage for being a tanky pet, and they have the knockdown to end all knockdowns (3s knock down that cleaves), and their F2 gives an insane amount of utility, I mean who doesn’t like an AoE fear, a 3s invuln, 2s stun, chaos storm lite, or every boon in the game?

The problem with the pigs are, 1) their F2 is very clunky since you have to run up and pick up the item, or call them back to you so the item is nearby, and even worse enemy players can pick up the item (they never do, but they have the ability to do so). And 2) their godly knockdown has a very large windup and it hasn’t “homed in” since beta weekend event 2 (the pig would literally chase after its target until the pig was interrupted or the channel ended), which makes it very hard for the pig to land it.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The sand lion has an AoE blind that does decent damage and causes 3 misses. Seems like a good alternative to the tiger if you want a DPS pet in PvP.

That’s the only pet I’ve found in the demo area so far.

Edit: There is supposedly a picture attached to this post but I can’t see it. Hopefully it shows up eventually.

Attachments:

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

New pets?

in Ranger

Dragon.4782

The sand lion has an AoE blind that does decent damage and causes 3 misses. Seems like a good alternative to the tiger if you want a DPS pet in PvP.

I have been searching for cheetahs and rock gazelles but I haven’t found any. I am starting to think rock lions are the only pets in demo

New pets?

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

Edit: There is supposedly a picture attached to this post but I can’t see it. Hopefully it shows up eventually.

Looks good. Where abouts are they?

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Sifuri Sand Sea if I remember right.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

I saw the live stream for Path of Fire and one of the devs mentioned that “they were excited for the soulbeast, especially with all the new pets we are adding,” I have already seen an Iboga and some antelope looking creature as two of the new pets. What do you guys think will be added as potential pets? I am going to guess lions, dune lizards, and crocodiles will also be added, but what do you ladies and gentlemen want to see fight by your side?

If you look at the pets in our inventory in the demo you can see the outlines and names of the new ones.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I kind of wish the “scaled drakes” (aka crocodiles) were tameable, they look a lot cooler than the sand lion at least.

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kiwi.1354

Kiwi.1354

Yes! Even tho their abilities seem to be copies of the fire drake they look far better than the sand lion. I also liked the fire stalkers (I hope they are called like that in englisch) east to the omiramba-sandsee. They would be very nice pets. The sand lion doesn’t seem that interesting to me visually and ability wise. If it would have at least the sandstorm ability the wild ones have that would be nice. (Maybe a little bit op)

New pets?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rap Tiger.1257

Rap Tiger.1257

How ArenaNet put this skill tail lash apply knockdown as the npcs do? Since Soulbeast will gain this ability by joining with pet wyverns.