PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Jazenn.7526

Jazenn.7526

@Jazenn

Do you feel your Ranger is on par with other classes, if so how? I havn’t played the Engineer yet, though fighting them I feel they’re weaker than the Ranger. I havn’t played the Necromancer, but seeing one in a group work their Wells, it is a sight to see, especially paired with two Elementalists in the group. Although out of the other classes I chose to gear up in Exotics, they all play way better than my Ranger under most circumstances, but most importantly groups. My Ranger brings very little to a group. My other toons however bring a lot to the group, such as;

Warrior – Much better damage (easily twice as much), faster revives on downed players, perma Swiftness, perma Fury, Perma Regen, Perma 3 stacks of Might, 10% bonus damage to crit hits, and the list could go on.

Guardian – Better damage (easily 50% more damage), pulsing group regen, access denying abilities (blocks a lot of damage to friendlies), a variety of boons, condition cures for the entire group, and the list could go on.

Mesmer – Much better damage (easily twice as much), Staff build allows me to transfer all boons on me, to my entire group (amazing combined with Chaos Storm and Chaos Armor), SEVERAL COMBO FIELDS to improve the groups damage, Null Field, stealth for the entire group, or a portal to surprise your foes, and the list could go on.

Thief – Special Note: I do not like the Thief in PvE, but WvW they add; Much better damage (easily three times as much, potentially four times as much), stealth for the entire group to surprise your foes, the best scouting ability in the game, and the list isn’t really big for the Thief, but the damage more than makes up for their lack of utility in a group.

Oh god, I don’t want to have to post something like that again right now, I’m starting to get lazier with my posts arguing the same thing. I’ll just say: jack of all trades. Besides that, you are highly underestimating the ranger. You think a thief can kill something 4 times over before a ranger can kill it once? kitten I’m not a master of classes but I know that ain’t true. Each class might be best at whatever but the ranger can do it all.

Too much knowledge for you? I told you, you were only trolling. The only thing a Ranger can do, another class can’t is provide a permanent pet. The other classes provide the same things; better. To be a jack of all trades means you provide a larger variety of abilities the other classes do not.

I’ve hit for 9k on my Thief, in one hit, against a bunker Guardian. How long would it take you to match that single hit? Right before that hit, I delivered a 5k Cloak and Dagger. How long would it take for you to deliver that 5k damage? In less than 4 seconds I’ve dropped a Bunker Warrior with over 23k health. You wouldn’t have killed him in 20 seconds.

My buddy has a video (I’ll have to see if he still has it up on youtube) of him killing a Bunker Guardian in less than 3 seconds. It was something like 2.5 seconds. You obviously know very little about this game.

Here, educate yourself….

This is an average damage spec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_Nf8h5R-g

Over 9k hits in sPvP. In WvW we can get much higher critical hit damage. This person would have hit for 12k easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3Su2tTch4

Not too much knowledge, I just don’t care to throw around empty stats that are either exaggerations or not all possible at once. You may have burst, but that is different from DPS. In 2.5 seconds, you can achieve a hit over 4 times as much as a ranger’s hit. In a minute, add up the damage, and no, you can’t put out 4 times as much. If you can, then go ahead and put of a video of a thief full damage spec and a ranger full damage spec. Make them both fight golems in Heart of the Mists, the easiest testing grounds. If the thief takes out 4 times as many golems within the minute, then you are right.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

@Jazenn

Do you feel your Ranger is on par with other classes, if so how? I havn’t played the Engineer yet, though fighting them I feel they’re weaker than the Ranger. I havn’t played the Necromancer, but seeing one in a group work their Wells, it is a sight to see, especially paired with two Elementalists in the group. Although out of the other classes I chose to gear up in Exotics, they all play way better than my Ranger under most circumstances, but most importantly groups. My Ranger brings very little to a group. My other toons however bring a lot to the group, such as;

Warrior – Much better damage (easily twice as much), faster revives on downed players, perma Swiftness, perma Fury, Perma Regen, Perma 3 stacks of Might, 10% bonus damage to crit hits, and the list could go on.

Guardian – Better damage (easily 50% more damage), pulsing group regen, access denying abilities (blocks a lot of damage to friendlies), a variety of boons, condition cures for the entire group, and the list could go on.

Mesmer – Much better damage (easily twice as much), Staff build allows me to transfer all boons on me, to my entire group (amazing combined with Chaos Storm and Chaos Armor), SEVERAL COMBO FIELDS to improve the groups damage, Null Field, stealth for the entire group, or a portal to surprise your foes, and the list could go on.

Thief – Special Note: I do not like the Thief in PvE, but WvW they add; Much better damage (easily three times as much, potentially four times as much), stealth for the entire group to surprise your foes, the best scouting ability in the game, and the list isn’t really big for the Thief, but the damage more than makes up for their lack of utility in a group.

Oh god, I don’t want to have to post something like that again right now, I’m starting to get lazier with my posts arguing the same thing. I’ll just say: jack of all trades. Besides that, you are highly underestimating the ranger. You think a thief can kill something 4 times over before a ranger can kill it once? kitten I’m not a master of classes but I know that ain’t true. Each class might be best at whatever but the ranger can do it all.

Too much knowledge for you? I told you, you were only trolling. The only thing a Ranger can do, another class can’t is provide a permanent pet. The other classes provide the same things; better. To be a jack of all trades means you provide a larger variety of abilities the other classes do not.

I’ve hit for 9k on my Thief, in one hit, against a bunker Guardian. How long would it take you to match that single hit? Right before that hit, I delivered a 5k Cloak and Dagger. How long would it take for you to deliver that 5k damage? In less than 4 seconds I’ve dropped a Bunker Warrior with over 23k health. You wouldn’t have killed him in 20 seconds.

My buddy has a video (I’ll have to see if he still has it up on youtube) of him killing a Bunker Guardian in less than 3 seconds. It was something like 2.5 seconds. You obviously know very little about this game.

Here, educate yourself….

This is an average damage spec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_Nf8h5R-g

Over 9k hits in sPvP. In WvW we can get much higher critical hit damage. This person would have hit for 12k easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3Su2tTch4

Not too much knowledge, I just don’t care to throw around empty stats that are either exaggerations or not all possible at once. You may have burst, but that is different from DPS. In 2.5 seconds, you can achieve a hit over 4 times as much as a ranger’s hit. In a minute, add up the damage, and no, you can’t put out 4 times as much. If you can, then go ahead and put of a video of a thief full damage spec and a ranger full damage spec. Make them both fight golems in Heart of the Mists, the easiest testing grounds. If the thief takes out 4 times as many golems within the minute, then you are right.

When you call it exaggerations, with videos in the post to show you they are not you lose all credibility, and then become a liar. It’s there for you to see, just watch the last video.

We’re talking WORLD VS WORLD HERE, not hitting dummies for hours that don’t hit back. Burst wins in WvW, and when a fight ends in a few seconds, it doesn’t matter what you could have done; if you didn’t die.

lol…………………. Had you not killed me, I could still be doing damage. <falls over laughing>

How is this an exaggeration?

This guy opens up with a 13k crit, a build I want to learn because he doubles MY THIEVES DAMAGE. Watch at 1 min 40ish seconds, he delivers two 9k crits on a Ranger.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

I don’t care what those videos show. In my current WvW build, no thief has solo downed me in seconds. The ones I lost to had to at least fight for the win. I don’t know who you were playing to get a 2.5 second kill against, but not me.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

Only the ranger forums are so stupid they think their prof is broken, despite the sPvP forum saying good rangers are completely unbeatable in 1v1 when they’re using a trapper build…

Keep trying to make everyone else believe it’s the profs fault bad rangers, but it’s not working.

Only idiots who don’t know how to play can’t defeat a trap ranger, or any ranger for that matter.

Actually trap rangers is a hard counter to mesmer. Shatter mesmers have no condition removal and you can put traps on their portal.

Watch mesmer blow himself up after he ports

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

Only the ranger forums are so stupid they think their prof is broken, despite the sPvP forum saying good rangers are completely unbeatable in 1v1 when they’re using a trapper build…

Keep trying to make everyone else believe it’s the profs fault bad rangers, but it’s not working.

Only idiots who don’t know how to play can’t defeat a trap ranger, or any ranger for that matter.

Right, we only fight idiots and you fight pros, even though we all play the same sPVP teams the same tPVP teams and a wide range of players on WvW servers (T1 and 2 in my case), makes perfect sense. thumbs up

The sooner you admit you’re just bad with the ranger and move on, the better for you.

And yet I’d still beat you 1v1.

LOL wow look at you puffing up your chest and putting on your deepest man voice.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

I literally don’t believe you expect us to take a video where people don’t stun break seriously. He can hit me for 13k if he wants, I have 17k health minimum in WvW as well as lightening reflexes and a sword or great sword escape leap with a pet swap frenzy boosted cast of TU coupled with my ability to react fast.

The only way that guy is beating me is if everything is on cooldown, or he uses culling which isn’t a ranger fail or a thief skill win, it’s an Anet fail.

Don’t like thieves? Don’t play class cannon.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Right, we only fight idiots and you fight pros, even though we all play the same sPVP teams the same tPVP teams and a wide range of players on WvW servers (T1 and 2 in my case), makes perfect sense. thumbs up

The sooner you admit you’re just bad with the ranger and move on, the better for you.

And yet I’d still beat you 1v1.

LOL wow look at you puffing up your chest and putting on your deepest man voice.

Look at you being at your edgiest.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I literally don’t believe you expect us to take a video where people don’t stun break seriously. He can hit me for 13k if he wants, I have 17k health minimum in WvW as well as lightening reflexes and a sword or great sword escape leap with a pet swap frenzy boosted cast of TU coupled with my ability to react fast.

The only way that guy is beating me is if everything is on cooldown, or he uses culling which isn’t a ranger fail or a thief skill win, it’s an Anet fail.

You obviously can not read, or you choose not to. Now go read what sparked this particular conversation you quoted, and realize the mistake you made.

I play a Thief, and I run a bunker/BM build on my Ranger brother, and I have never complained about a Thief. I was showing that we Thieves were capable of doing a lot more damage than a Ranger.

That said, you know Lightning Reflexes is bugged right, and if I also use a venom that immobilizes you, it will not cure the stun.

Go get an education, or actually get good at one class in this game instead of spewing dumb stuff.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Peter.9406

Peter.9406

Yeah this thread has completely turned to useless talk.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

Look at you being at your edgiest.[/quote]

lol wow, the internet comeback equivalent of “no you are!” to “you’re ugly”. Nice work man.

Go get an education.

You missed the point, which isn’t a shock. Also do you want me to actually explain why I don’t care that you can use venom to immobilize or would you prefer to struggle to insult my double MSc science education?

In fact, never mind man. Come back when you want to stay on topic. I replied to your big deal immobilize elsewhere.

or actually get good at one class in this game instead of spewing dumb stuff.

Like for some reason I’M the bad ranger?

Thanks for the PM by the way, you’re hardcore, I felt very intimidated, you’re very good at it. It was like you were in the room.

Yeah this thread has completely turned to useless talk.

Because anyone that attempts to defend the ranger as a class with issues but not broken is instantly labeled a liar, only playing bad rogues (like we don’t all play the same servers and players) or the last but still classic “omg I’m not bad, it’s you, it’s you, I’ll fight you 1v1, I bets I win, I bets it!”.

Like for some reason if someone beat me 1v1 with a ranger vs my ranger/thief/warrior then for some reason that would mean.. they are right and ranger is bad.. wait, what?

For what it’s worth, I thought the thread was a good one and liked your first post and considered it to be worth replying to.

(edited by capuchinseven.8395)

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

@trollcapuchinseven

How does someone with such a make believe education make such a mistake as to believe I was complaining about Thieves, when me and the other person was discussing something else?

Since you still have no idea what was going on, I’ll explain it. I was discussing what I, (you know what that simple, one letter word means right) can do on my other toons, one of those being my Thief. The person I was responding too did not believe it was possible, so I provided evidence that it was. This same person then decides facts, and proof of those facts didn’t matter, and that he would make up his own facts.

Then you step in, commenting on something completely off the wall, and not in direct relation to what we were discussing.

You claim to know the class enough, that you appear to support the trolls who say there are no issues, and that those of us who see the issues, and believe they need fixed just can not play the class, yet you don’t seem to know the class enough to make such a claim. If you can’t beat better players, how can you expect better players to take your claims seriously?

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

@trollcapuchinseven

How does someone with such a make believe education make such a mistake as to believe I was complaining about Thieves, when me and the other person was discussing something else??

Stopped here, my MSc in computer science and exo-geology have what to do with the ranger class? And I’m the troll, ha!

Just so we’re clear, your video is flawed, making your point about thief damage and ranger damage flawed.

I think it’s best if you and I no longer talk in this thread, it’s pointless to the thread where you think personal insults will get under my skin. Your PM’s are at best comically bad at intimidating so you clearly can’t talk there either.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

@trollcapuchinseven

How does someone with such a make believe education make such a mistake as to believe I was complaining about Thieves, when me and the other person was discussing something else??

Stopped here, my MSc in computer science and exo-geology have what to do with the ranger class? And I’m the troll, ha!

Just so we’re clear, your video is flawed, making your point about thief damage and ranger damage flawed.

I think it’s best if you and I no longer talk in this thread, it’s pointless to the thread where you think personal insults will get under my skin. Your PM’s are at best comically bad at intimidating so you clearly can’t talk there either.

You insulted me first, or did you forget? You can’t play the passive aggressive card when you’re made out to be wrong. The best thing you could do, is admit your mistake, and apologize. But far be it for me to expect a discussion with an adult on a game forums.

My PM is meant to allow you the chance to back up your claims, if you’re not talking out of your rear.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

You insulted me first, or did you forget? You can’t play the passive aggressive card when you’re made out to be wrong.

That didn’t happen. I think you’re arguing with so many people you’ve forgotten who is who. I did tell you I didn’t believe you expect us to take that video as any sort of proof for anything, that’s not an insult.

If I did insult you, I apologize and feel free to point out where, but I didn’t insult you so this point is redundant and this thread is derailed.

I’m out.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

You insulted me first, or did you forget? You can’t play the passive aggressive card when you’re made out to be wrong.

That didn’t happen. I think you’re arguing with so many people you’ve forgotten who is who. I did tell you I didn’t believe you expect us to take that video as any sort of proof for anything, that’s not an insult.

If I did insult you, I apologize and feel free to point out where, but I didn’t insult you so this point is redundant and this thread is derailed.

I’m out.

Yes, you did insult me.

What’s that? It wasn’t friendly, and it was a very poor assumption. Thanks for the apology.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

I’m out.

Yes, you did insult me.

What’s that? It wasn’t friendly, and it was a very poor assumption. Thanks for the apology.

You’re kidding me? THAT is a personal insult? Okay you’re reaching now, you know you messed up and had to scrabble to find something you could call insulting, I’m out, this is silly.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I’m out.

Yes, you did insult me.

You’re kidding me? THAT is a personal insult? Okay you’re reaching now, you know you messed up and had to scrabble to find something you could call insulting, I’m out, this is silly.

So making an assumption that I was complaining about Thieves, without taking the time to put that post in context, with the original post, and then making the assumption that I’m a noob, and would run a glass canon build isn’t an insult?

Wow. So much for the apology, you can’t even admit when you are wrong.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

lol wow, the internet comeback equivalent of “no you are!” to “you’re ugly”. Nice work man.

Thanks. Took me a little while to formulate my perfect come-back, but I think it was worth it.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

In my opinion, the reason why people think it is broken is because it has one of the steepest learning curves in the game when it comes to dungeons or WvW. The reason is because ANET, rather than gimp pets by giving them AI (see necros), they give us the control. We are responsible for making the pet make good decisions. So now you have to control two characters.

No, this is why people think the profession is broken:

How can there not be a general consensus on these issues after seeing stuff like this?

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

Yeah when I fight other Rangers, and they’re using melee pets, I never get hit by the pet because I know to always move. If the pet somehow gets close, I know they used Sick-em, so I root/stun/snare the pet, and they just wasted a utility.

Even worse, with the increased speed to arrows for both the Longbow, and Shortbow, you can still out-run arrows, which leaves you axes for range. Axes are a hinderance sometimes because of the massive amount of mobs in WvW, and Axes really do horrible damage.

This leaves melee, which isn’t bad, just not up to par with the other professions.

I do a lot of fight club type stuff, and duel a lot of players from many servers when we’ve faced them. I’ve seen the bad players, and the good players. There is no way in heck a good player could ever die to a Ranger. I’ve never had a Ranger that could kill any of my toons including my Ranger.

Even though we have our trolls who visit the Ranger forums, I have no doubt the class will get a string of fixes, and many who left the Ranger profession, will venture back to it. At this point I am praying the February update has several changes in it that help.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

In my opinion, the reason why people think it is broken is because it has one of the steepest learning curves in the game when it comes to dungeons or WvW. The reason is because ANET, rather than gimp pets by giving them AI (see necros), they give us the control. We are responsible for making the pet make good decisions. So now you have to control two characters.

How can there not be a general consensus on these issues after seeing stuff like this?

Before the Dec.14 patch which supposedly fixed both of these problems.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Yeah when I fight other Rangers, and they’re using melee pets, I never get hit by the pet because I know to always move. If the pet somehow gets close, I know they used Sick-em, so I root/stun/snare the pet, and they just wasted a utility.

Even worse, with the increased speed to arrows for both the Longbow, and Shortbow, you can still out-run arrows, which leaves you axes for range. Axes are a hinderance sometimes because of the massive amount of mobs in WvW, and Axes really do horrible damage.

This leaves melee, which isn’t bad, just not up to par with the other professions.

I do a lot of fight club type stuff, and duel a lot of players from many servers when we’ve faced them. I’ve seen the bad players, and the good players. There is no way in heck a good player could ever die to a Ranger. I’ve never had a Ranger that could kill any of my toons including my Ranger.

Even though we have our trolls who visit the Ranger forums, I have no doubt the class will get a string of fixes, and many who left the Ranger profession, will venture back to it. At this point I am praying the February update has several changes in it that help.

I just have to disagree with you man, I don’t experience any issues like that. I rarely die to rangers 1on1, but that’s only because I notice what they are doing because this is the class I play the most. Call me a troll because I disagree, but I think the ranger class is far from broken.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

I just have to disagree with you man, I don’t experience any issues like that. I rarely die to rangers 1on1, but that’s only because I notice what they are doing because this is the class I play the most. Call me a troll because I disagree, but I think the ranger class is far from broken.

Apparently you haven’t played the class enough…..

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

Why is that? Because I don’t agree with someone, then I haven’t played the class enough? Lol I don’t understand.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

Why is that? Because I don’t agree with someone, then I haven’t played the class enough? Lol I don’t understand.

I said that because you are clearly under the impression that the class is far from broken rofl….

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

I’m out.

Yes, you did insult me.

So making an assumption that I was complaining about Thieves, without taking the time to put that post in context, with the original post, and then making the assumption that I’m a noob, and would run a glass canon build isn’t an insult?

Wow. So much for the apology, you can’t even admit when you are wrong.

I actually had to come back to this because I couldn’t stop randomly giggling about how far you had to stretch to find a so called, insult.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

<face meets palm>
Renno – Stonegard – Aece

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

yeah, ranger too weak. needs like 2x pet damage increase or somethin’

I don’t think that’s the problem, they aren’t meant to be a damage heavy class.

Where have you read that rangers aren’t supposed to be damage heavy class? Nowhere… If you want to run damage heavy it should be possible on every single class in this game.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

<face meets palm>

I know, I did the same when I read what you’d come up with!

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

<face meets palm>

I know, I did the same when I read what you’d come up with!

I don’t know who started this childish argument, nor do I care.

Contribute to the topic or get out.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

snip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poltQGmLu5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iK-QnDSKys

I get Obstructed and Out of Range (even though I’m well within range) all of the time still. It’s especially bad in Dungeons/Fractals and WvW.

Also, the Pet AI to hit moving targets was “improved” but not fixed by any means.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

I said that because you are clearly under the impression that the class is far from broken rofl….

Which is a differing opinion. I don’t agree with him. Soo, yea.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Jazenn.7526

snip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poltQGmLu5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iK-QnDSKys

I get Obstructed and Out of Range (even though I’m well within range) all of the time still. It’s especially bad in Dungeons/Fractals and WvW.

Also, the Pet AI to hit moving targets was “improved” but not fixed by any means.

It fixed it for me, at least to the point where nothing in those videos has happened to me, though I don’t know about longbow’s 1500 range because I don’t like to use it.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Cake Monster.7496

Cake Monster.7496

I thought everyone was already to the agreement that rangers blows pvp.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: AjoraOaks.3659

AjoraOaks.3659

I agree with Chopps here. I’ve been playing this class in my spare time since my Guardian has gotten dull, and I wanted to visit these forums for neat builds and tips but much to my dismay it’s only filled with constant whining and complaining.

It really just turns me off this class, despite the fact that I love my little ranger and his playstyle. I wish there was a separate subforum here for complaints and gripes about rangers.

I laughed when I read neat builds and tips… can continue blaming the people but I figure if the class didn’t have so many issues (especially with pets and then traits following that) you’d see less complaints about complaints and complaints about ranger. Considering how ranger is at the moment the reverse would work better, complaints being the main forum while they keep a lil sticky at top saying build ideas (sound familiar?).

I have many good builds, I just haven’t revealed them yet because the fact that no one uses ranger and no one believes in them works to the favor of my guild. But for the reason you stated I’ve been working to change that, although I’m not sure if that thread is a good place to go because there’s a lot of bad information in there. I will post a video in the near future explaining how to play this class.

Not only that, there’s differences like 30/30/10/0/0 not actually being, necessarily, the highest DPS build. This common glass cannon build (where pets die very, very easily) is a big reason why people have the misperception that pets are squishy.

I give the community another couple months to figure this out, particularly as people begin to level ranger after having mained something else.

Another thing that throws people off is the fact that if you use default keybindings, you’re going to have a bad day. More so than any other profession, using default keybindings will severely limit your potential as a ranger.

PS: As a teaser, I’ve had success with the following traitlines:

0/30/20/0/20

0/0/30/10/30

0/20/0/30/20

10/0/30/0/30

0/0/30/10/30

0/0/30/30/10

I’m sure I’m missing a few…I will elaborate on these later.

Pretty much what I went with when I began to play ranger again;
0/30/20/0/20, 0/30/10/0/30 and 0/30/5/15/20 although pets are still going to der de der around, not respond well to commands/f2 at times and not follow you closely etc. etc… there are methods to quickly remove a pet from danger using swaps but I still have negative impressions of ranger even with testing into various trait lines

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

@Chopps, and Jazenn

I have the following fully geared 80s; Ranger, Warrior, Thief, Mesmer, and finally a Guardian. I have never lost to another Ranger in a 1v1, ever, on any of my toons, including my Ranger.

If you honestly think people, including myself who feel the class has a lot of issues are just bad players, put your money where your mouth is. Switch servers, and duel me, IN WVW, on all my toons.

I’ll let you fraps it, and post the results. The ball is in your court now. Send me a PM so we can get this started.

You spend the money to transfer. Then I won’t fight you. I’ll just laugh at you. Then my guild will proceed to crush you. Then I’ll laugh again.

*Peter, I hear what you’re saying. Honestly, though, I don’t understand the profession favoritism around here. All I’ve ever tried to argue was that the gap between rangers and any other profession (if it exists at all) is small enough such that a player’s skill can cross it. All of the professions are comparable. Comparable is the key word. After that, it’s up to the player’s coordination and understanding of the game.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Peter.9406

@Chopps, and Jazenn

I have the following fully geared 80s; Ranger, Warrior, Thief, Mesmer, and finally a Guardian. I have never lost to another Ranger in a 1v1, ever, on any of my toons, including my Ranger.

If you honestly think people, including myself who feel the class has a lot of issues are just bad players, put your money where your mouth is. Switch servers, and duel me, IN WVW, on all my toons.

I’ll let you fraps it, and post the results. The ball is in your court now. Send me a PM so we can get this started.

You spend the money to transfer. Then I won’t fight you. I’ll just laugh at you. Then my guild will proceed to crush you. Then I’ll laugh again.

*Peter, I hear what you’re saying. Honestly, though, I don’t understand the profession favoritism around here. All I’ve ever tried to argue was that the gap between rangers and any other profession (if it exists at all) is small enough such that a player’s skill can cross it. All of the professions are comparable. Comparable is the key word. After that, it’s up to the player’s coordination and understanding of the game.

It does exist and it shows if you just look over each class forum and read our forum. And we shouldn’t have a gap at all in the first place, the devs should fix what is broken
and we should not make excuses to deal with their mistakes. That’s like if you work 40 hours a week somewhere and every one of your co-workers got paid lets say $440 while you got paid $320, would you then say “Oh well guess it’ll take more skill in managing my money to keep with my expenses like my co-workers.”? No, you’d be mad you got short changed and ask your manager to fix your paycheck. You’re doing the same thing here, we put in the same amount of money and time into the game and should expect the same output as the other classes. We shouldn’t have to be exceptional players just to compare to to other classes, we should be exceptional players and be better than the other class with players who just play average.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: crazybrain.4285

crazybrain.4285

Same old story, expect the same old posts. People saying Rangers are fine and dandy as they still don’t understand that the real problems are all in PvP and not PvE, people saying they kill lots of other players in WvW (where you’re up against weaker players), people saying they rock in sPvP just to boast on the forums.

Lots of classes have issues, Rangers are the only class with broken core mechanics in PvP (damage from pets and projectiles not functioning as intended). The class doesn’t need minor tweaks, it needs urgent fixing. In PvE it needs minor tweaks like any other class (some non-sensical or useless traits, pets dying too easily in dungeons).

You’re kidding, right? You rolled an engi for any length of time?

Talk about broken

I’m not saying there aren’t problems, because that’s readily obvious to any but the purposefully dense, but Rangers aren’t the only class that’s been screwed in the core mechanics department.

(edited by crazybrain.4285)

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

No, it didn’t supposedly “fix” them, it supposedly helped.

I made some changes to improve pets hitting moving targets in this upcoming build. I wouldn’t expect those changes to light the world on fire, but they have improved. There is more to be done in this area still but feedback on how much this upcoming change helped, once it is in, would be great.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

All I’ve ever tried to argue was that the gap between rangers and any other profession (if it exists at all) is small enough such that a player’s skill can cross it. All of the professions are comparable. Comparable is the key word. After that, it’s up to the player’s coordination and understanding of the game.

This is exactly what we’re arguing, that it takes superior player skill to cross the ranger’s performance gap. In PvE and WvW this is annoying at most, but in competitive sPvP and tournaments it kills the class. sPvP is all about the numbers, players don’t want to run with (or group with) a profession that significantly lowers their success rate. The only reason why you don’t see mass raging is that unlike WvW, you can sPvP with a level 1 alt.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

Same old story, expect the same old posts. People saying Rangers are fine and dandy as they still don’t understand that the real problems are all in PvP and not PvE, people saying they kill lots of other players in WvW (where you’re up against weaker players), people saying they rock in sPvP just to boast on the forums.

Lots of classes have issues, Rangers are the only class with broken core mechanics in PvP (damage from pets and projectiles not functioning as intended). The class doesn’t need minor tweaks, it needs urgent fixing. In PvE it needs minor tweaks like any other class (some non-sensical or useless traits, pets dying too easily in dungeons).

You’re kidding, right? You rolled an engi for any length of time?

Talk about broken

I’m not saying there aren’t problems, because that’s readily obvious to any but the purposefully dense, but Rangers aren’t the only class that’s been screwed in the core mechanics department.

I can’t speak for Engineers, never rolled one and not sure what their main problems are (although I’m sure they have them). But to be on a par with rangers, Engi turrets and grenades would have to miss moving players and their bullets would have to consistently miss their targets.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

@Chopps, and Jazenn

It does exist and it shows if you just look over each class forum and read our forum. And we shouldn’t have a gap at all in the first place, the devs should fix what is broken
and we should not make excuses to deal with their mistakes. That’s like if you work 40 hours a week somewhere and every one of your co-workers got paid lets say $440 while you got paid $320, would you then say “Oh well guess it’ll take more skill in managing my money to keep with my expenses like my co-workers.”? No, you’d be mad you got short changed and ask your manager to fix your paycheck. You’re doing the same thing here, we put in the same amount of money and time into the game and should expect the same output as the other classes. We shouldn’t have to be exceptional players just to compare to to other classes, we should be exceptional players and be better than the other class with players who just play average.

I don’t not agree that the state of the forums is an indicator of the state of the profession. The forums are extremely biased.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: zeus.9634

zeus.9634

when i began reading this thread i first wanted to also write my thoughts and experiences with the ranger, telling people who think ranger is broken or crap that they are wrong and whatnot.. but, with every next post i was reading till the end of the thread, i had to notice.. its pointless.
this is one of the most useless and timewasting threads ive read in this forum and best would be if a mod just closes it, heck imo he could even delete it so it wont waste the time of other players anymore.

Mariskah 80 Ranger
Lords of England Officer
Far Shiverpeaks

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

@Chopps, and Jazenn

Totally agree, I find these constant “intimidation” PM’s and 1v1 challenges from the likes of jkctmc etc to be comical. And even if they DID beat me in 1v1 it’s some of the worst anecdotal evidence I’ve ever seen in my life.

The last and only thief to come close to beating me in 1v1 ended up having a long /tell conversation with me where we both chatted for a good 30 mins about our builds and how much we enjoyed the fight, on another day at another time I have no doubt that guy could have beaten me and in WvW if he caught me I bet I’d go down maybe even fast. None of that has anything to do with the ranger class being broken (and I freely admit it needs some fixes, but so do many classes) and was a far more insightful conversation that some of the junk I see here from many of the hater posters.

When they do post something worth a proper reply, like “I’d immobilise you”, any reply to that is somehow brushed over with more anecdotal evidence and any reply back is ignored, for example it doesn’t matter if you have me immobilised, many of our “oh crap” utilities will still evade while we are stuck on the spot and my build is designed to shrug off immobilise, with my current build a venom immobilise lasts for only around a second (never timed it, so short now it doesn’t bother me) on me without any interaction on my part and that ignores my ability to remove it if I want to and my many abilities to avoid damage while I’m stuck on the spot.

It’s not like they don’t make some fair points though, killing our pets is a very good tactic to use against us, in the same way CC is a very good tactic to use against a thief but I don’t get their point, you kill our pet and some pet builds will be in trouble, but so what? If you CC a thief he’s in trouble as well, it doesn’t make anyone underpowered, it shows you had a viable tactic for killing a ranger.

(ignore any bad english, typed on tablet)

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: DaisyRogers.6837

DaisyRogers.6837

Great, the other classes are easier to pick up and play. Ranger’s have a deceptively high skill cap in the sense that you need to pay attention to two healthbars, something that most of complaining population refuses to do.

The only complaints I really view as valid are spirits going pop way to quickly (few counters), and pets being broken in fractals and Jade Maw (no counters).

Every other complaint on this forum I have found a counter too. Which means yes its a l2p issue. Its just that most vocal rangers have refused to l2p and demand the class gets dumbed down to pew pewing arrows.

I agree, however there are some major issues that aren’t L2P issue like pets in fractals and spirits. The pet fractals issue is affecting our dungeon experience and is an unfair disadvantage. Spirits are horrible no matter how you play them you are better off bringing something else than those skills that barely do any support. I agree that rangers have a steep learning curve, but there are just too many essential parts that are broken and can’t be overcome by L2P.

And I don’t think the other classes are happier because they are easier to pick up, because classes like mesmer and ele still have a learning curve to work effectively. They are just working as intended with minimal bugs and problems.

I should re-clarify. Other classes are more straightforward to pick up, they do what you expect them to do. Even Ele and Mesmer are straightforward and doesn’t take long to get it rolling. Rangers cannot until you learn to work with the pet.

You will never see the damage numbers unless you work with the pet; CC with freeze, entangle, cripple whatever to get your pet in range (since fix pets hit pretty reliably once they are in range). You can also kite in a way to force your opponent into the pet. Melee makes it overly simple to max out your damage.

and when you fail to utilize the controls we have for our pet (what seperates us from MM) yes I expect your dps to suffer.

And yes, as I mentioned and you more or less repeated, I agree, we are broken in fractals, and most of our spirits are underwhelming (except stone and Elite) and insanely squishy when we fail to place them in an overly protective place.

The problem with what your saying is that for some reason you seem to thinks pets are working like they should be. They are not. I almost exclusively play WvW because that is what i enjoy but I can probably count on the fingers of one hand where my pet was a deciding factor in a 1v1 fight. I have said this in another thread but when was the last time you heard or read in chat a warning to “watch out you have a Rangers pet on you”? Or “hurry up and focus that pet down”? Really most dont even pay attention to a rangers pet myself included. When i fight a ranger 1v1 I dont even worry about their pet at all.

I dont really do dungeons but PvE in general i consider the ranger class AWESOME. I typically have no problem whatsoever fighting 4 lvl 80 mobs at the same time. it is WvW where we have problems and i would assume SPvP but i cant say for sure as I rarely go there after getting repeatedly killed by thieves with next to no effort at all.

couple of days old I know, but meh I was on duty all weekend.

This actually works to your advantage as ranger. I kind of enjoy the fact that our damage numbers come out as a stream versus splashes. People panic at the sight at mesmers and thieves. They are on their toes around these classes, and they get focused down. Awesome. They are feared.

We on the other hand have two smaller numbers popping up on the enemies screen, deceptive, it doesn’t feel as much because the chunks are smaller, but they damage is coming at a comparable rate (none burst rate). If they ignore the pet, all the better, less micro managing for me.

I also get a kick out of opponents who charge in on my roaming kitten looking for a “free” kill. It doesn’t take them long to figure out the battle is not going as they planned at all. It also helps that there are many terri-bad rangers out their that help reinforce this stereotype of the ranger.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Peter.9406

Please close this thread mods it became useless.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

It’s defiantly point 2 first. The Ranger has a series of problems that are hard to play around. Like the majority of traits being useless, misplaced, unimportant, or just boring. Pet F2 skills not responding as fast as they should. The pet dying too fast to AoE attacks. And the overall damage output of the Ranger being on the low side.

But point 1 is defiantly also a factor. If you ignore the pet, you are gimping yourself. The pet is part of the Ranger, and should be considered when playing a Ranger. You have to do your best to keep it alive, and think about situations where the pet can make a difference. If you’re about to be downed, it’s probably a good idea not to waste your pet switching, so you can use it once you are downed. If a boss has AoE fields around himself, then using a bear is a bad idea, so you should switch to two devourers before you go into combat mode. If your bear dies in a couple of hits by a boss, then don’t just send it to its death, but hold it back for when your party needs some breathing room to revive or change position. If there are many players being defeated in your party, then use Search and Rescue in a combo with Quickening Zephyr to revive two players, or revive one player twice as fast.

Bottom line is; the Ranger has many problems, but there is still a learning curve when it comes to playing a Ranger.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

in Ranger

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

As requested, this thread has been closed.