Pet names not saving?

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthenea.1546

Asthenea.1546

Is this happening to everyone? I always name my pets and then when I swap them they just go back to juvenile…

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

It’s been a problem since BWE 1.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Brazensage.1328

Brazensage.1328

Here to confirm the same issue, all my pet names have been reset multiple times.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: hoops.4208

hoops.4208

This is a known issue and anet has touched upon it.. 99% sure they said there is no fix in the works at this time.. Suck it up.

butts

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Elric of Grans.7684

Elric of Grans.7684

Yes, ArenaNet have confirmed this is working as intended. They have never allocated resources to save the names, because they were never designed to be saved.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

Yes, ArenaNet have confirmed this is working as intended. They have never allocated resources to save the names, because they were never designed to be saved.

Citation needed.

Because seriously, this seems like a very silly thing, and they aren’t prone to doing very silly things.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Brokadocious.8743

Brokadocious.8743

I have also noticed that if you charm a new pet, the new pet will recieve the old pets name and the old pet will revert to juvenial.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Elric of Grans.7684

Elric of Grans.7684

Could not be bothered wasting my time to look. Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant to anyone other than yourself. Check the dev tracker if you want proof.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Svana.4059

Svana.4059

Could not be bothered wasting my time to look. Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant to anyone other than yourself. Check the dev tracker if you want proof.

hmm, testy much.

Whether or not you saw this and the others haven’t, would it just be good manners to try and help the people asking the questions? I’ve just started researching this issue and I agree to the prior poster that it would be rather silly of Arenanet to give you the ability to change the name of the pet that only lasts until the next time you switch them in/out.

What I’ve seen of this game so far doesn’t lead me to believe that ArenaNet is in the least bit silly or uncaring in the same matter WoW or SWTOR seem to be. They’ve put a good deal of thought and fun into this game. I’m personally delighted at every turn by the way they’ve rethought the basic MMO.

I’d appreciate it if you could point me to the notes in question so I could read that documentation for myself.

Thanks!

(edited by Svana.4059)

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Forge.5426

Forge.5426

It would indeed be nicer if you can give every pet a name and let it keep that.
When I made my ranger, I wanted to name my pets in the order I found them (Alpha, Beta, Charlie, …)
And then I found this out as well.

I do understand that they want to keep their resources for other stuff, but for the future, it would be a nice added feature to the game.

lvl 80 Human Thief: Aida Shadowforge
See you all in-game

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: swilkers.5938

swilkers.5938

Verified issue. I have to change my eagles name back to “Merica” every time I switch him out.

Blackgate Server
Charr – Ranger
Human – Guardian

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Yes this is the way they made it, rather than a bug. However, I do believe they should change it to save… it just doesn’t make sense lol

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wulfsbayne.8401

Wulfsbayne.8401

This frustrated me early on as well, but I can sort of see the issue. Each ranger can have dozens of pets (can’t remember offhand if it is 45 or more) so then multiply that by the number of rangers etc… yeah lots of info to save and keep up with.

But to answer, as of now yes it is working as intended. It’s aggravating I understand that, but it is what it is.

Main: Dariak Wulfsbayne (Norn Ranger)
Proud member of [OMFG]

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Digital Dragon.2697

Digital Dragon.2697

If this won’t be fixed, I’d at least like the option to not show their name.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: ccdsurf.8639

ccdsurf.8639

I think it seems like a petty thing to allow customizing a name of a pet companion (which adds to the role playing immersion for those of us who like that sort of thing) only to have the names not save, and the animal to revert. How can I pretend to be Beastmaster!?

I can’t imagine the resources needed to save names would be very large. This is akin to the armors resetting dyes every time a new piece is acquired, which would be a pain.

That being said, I wouldn’t even care (not enough to post) if the option had not been there to begin with. If that’s all the more immersion/customizable they want the pet feature to be, I’d just as soon make the pet a nameless generic animal.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: ccdsurf.8639

ccdsurf.8639

Verified issue. I have to change my eagles name back to “Merica” every time I switch him out.

LOL “merica”, love it.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: capnflummox.3082

capnflummox.3082

“didn’t want to waste resources”…

so they let a monkey program the pet naming feature? why even bother allowing one to name a pet and then not allow them to save it? I would have saved all the resources and just not allow them to be named.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: incandescence.6784

incandescence.6784

Still not fixed, huh?

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

It’s not fixed, because it’s not considered bug. You can discuss if devs are right or not, but can’t expect them to “fix” sth that’s working as they want.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

This is so annoying… Can’t figure out why ANet hasn’t fixed this issue. It’s an amateur game error, doesn’t belong on a game with such production.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Giving this a prod as well. I don’t want to have to refer to a spreadsheet with all the names I gave my different pets because the game won’t remember them for me.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: windyweather.1238

windyweather.1238

Actually, my experience is that this was working fine just a few days ago. I named Ice Drake to Icy Drake, and that stuck. I named a jaguar to Black Panther and that stuck. Now today I picked up a Jungle Stalker and the names won’t save anymore.
So this is a really big deal to have a different name for each of the pets? To drop that silly Juvi from the beginning? Or to show some style?
Sigh… Minor issue, but it sure is annoying.
- ww

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

The reason why “stays” sometimes in when u have the same pet both on land and in water… apart from that nothing stays…

Either take away the whole name thing and just remove the “juvenile” once a pet has been tamed. Or make the names stay – either on the slot (4 names) or on each pet.

Kima & Co

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I’m not really sure why they allow us to name the pets in the first place, since the names don’t stick to the pets. Chances are good that I’m not going to choose a name that transfers well between different species…

Wait! Eureka! I’ll name all of my pets “Sparky.” Sure, that doesn’t fit particularly well into the game lore or my immersion on my Ranger, but it works across all pets.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Amirit.3297

Amirit.3297

They still did not fix Trading Post (a really serious issue with filters and search function) why would they bother with such a minor thing as pet’s names? Pity, but I think we will never see that thing corrected.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

hmm, testy much.

Whether or not you saw this and the others haven’t, would it just be good manners to try and help the people asking the questions? I’ve just started researching this issue and I agree to the prior poster that it would be rather silly of Arenanet to give you the ability to change the name of the pet that only lasts until the next time you switch them in/out.

What I’ve seen of this game so far doesn’t lead me to believe that ArenaNet is in the least bit silly or uncaring in the same matter WoW or SWTOR seem to be. They’ve put a good deal of thought and fun into this game. I’m personally delighted at every turn by the way they’ve rethought the basic MMO.

I’d appreciate it if you could point me to the notes in question so I could read that documentation for myself.

Thanks!

I’d point you to the notes if the search box were working. Using various google search tools, I still can’t pinpoint the actual developer response for you. However, it was explicitly stated a while back that pet names are not saved because of the memory allocations that would be needed and how they would create an unreasonable demand for storage on their end. The official stance on the issue is “working as intended.”

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

hmm, testy much.

Thanks!

I’d point you to the notes if the search box were working. Using various google search tools, I still can’t pinpoint the actual developer response for you. However, it was explicitly stated a while back that pet names are not saved because of the memory allocations that would be needed and how they would create an unreasonable demand for storage on their end. The official stance on the issue is “working as intended.”

I wouldn’t worry about helping find him the notes. He asked about it a year ago and that was the only thing he ever posted. I don’t think he is still here.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

4 million players. Assume 50% of them have a ranger alt.
42 pets, but 3 are HoM based, so call it 40.
Name limit is, what, 15 characters?

(4 million) * (.5) * (40) * (15 bytes) = 1.2 GB of data they’d need to store max. At current hard drive prices, that’s about 5 cents worth of HDD space. I’d offer to buy it for them just to get the names fixed, except the cost of postage to mail them the check would be almost 10x the amount of the check.

And that’s worst-case. Any competent database won’t allocate the space unless it’s needed. So 1.2 GB is how much space would be needed if every ranger character gave every pet a 15-character name.

And as has been pointed out, you could just store the names on the player’s computer, and have the client dynamically rename the pet the moment it’s swapped in.

And as has also been pointed out, you could just recycle one name for all the pets, since clearly the game already saves at least two pet names.

I’m sorry, but that answer smells like a “I don’t want to work on fixing this, so I’ll just make up a technical excuse to confuse people into thinking it’s too hard to fix.” Every other online game, including GW1, remembers the name you give your pets.

(edited by Solandri.9640)

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Babychoochoo.5690

Babychoochoo.5690

I’m sorry, but that answer smells like a “I don’t want to work on fixing this, so I’ll just make up a technical excuse to confuse people into thinking it’s too hard to fix.” Every other online game, including GW1, remembers the name you give your pets.

And this right here is what bothers me. This has been a non-issue for every single game, but through some miracle (I use the word, miracle, sarcastically), a game released in 2012 is utterly incapable of pulling off such a relatively simple task. How does this not bother everyone at least a little bit?

They can crank out gem store items and “content” every few weeks, but they can’t be bothered to allow rangers to store the names of their pets? How does this make any sense? If every other game had this problem, then sure, whatever. Then, it wouldn’t be a big deal. But, I’m sorry, I have to call it like I see it. This just seems like laziness and/or complete and utter indifference and I find it sad.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

they can’t gemstore you for fixing issues.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

they can’t gemstore you for fixing issues.

Sell the space “needed” to to save the names? $5 a name sounds right.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

Oddly enough, someone actually already pitched that idea to Randy Knapp in our guild chat a while back. He’s the dev who codes the gem store.

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

It’s absurd that people have to calculate the bits as if that’s the limiting factor. Come on guys! They just don’t want to do it because it’s too much work to bandaid their silly original pet management GUI.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Keefe.3821

Keefe.3821

4 million players. Assume 50% of them have a ranger alt.
42 pets, but 3 are HoM based, so call it 40.
Name limit is, what, 15 characters?

(4 million) * (.5) * (40) * (15 bytes) = 1.2 GB of data they’d need to store max. At current hard drive prices, that’s about 5 cents worth of HDD space. I’d offer to buy it for them just to get the names fixed, except the cost of postage to mail them the check would be almost 10x the amount of the check.

And that’s worst-case. Any competent database won’t allocate the space unless it’s needed. So 1.2 GB is how much space would be needed if every ranger character gave every pet a 15-character name.

And as has been pointed out, you could just store the names on the player’s computer, and have the client dynamically rename the pet the moment it’s swapped in.

And as has also been pointed out, you could just recycle one name for all the pets, since clearly the game already saves at least two pet names.

This is simply a issue they are are too lazy to deal with and is now a pointless feature to have.

(edited by Keefe.3821)

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: TwinPixel.7594

TwinPixel.7594

This is really annoying. People saying “why bother?” but hey! if you have made the option to save pets name, then make it right. I’m really really annoyed at this point, yeah its a little thing in the game but little things matters in a fantasy world.

FIX IT!

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

It’s weird because it only affects some users. My pets have remained having the same names for almost a year.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I think the plan is to fix it after the sword root fix. By that time I will have been gone from this game for probably 3 years.

It’s weird because it only affects some users. My pets have remained having the same names for almost a year.

That is because you are not changing pets, not talking about the pet swap F4. Lets say you have a Bear and a Jaguar, but you want a Pig and a Spider. When you change these pets the new swaps have names of Juvenile xxxx. If you change back to Bear and Jaguar they too will now be Juvenile Bear and Juvenile Jaguar.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

(edited by GOSU.9574)

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Overthrust.2659

Overthrust.2659

Hi welcome to the ranger class! enjoy your stay

The Ranger would be nerfed every time because that is the law of Tyria.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Silvos.8653

Silvos.8653

I just like to bump this thread.
It is really anoying to rename your pet everytime you swap out. In dungeons for example you might want a ranged pet for certain melee bosses, but a melee pet for other bosses. But having an awesome ranger character, with cool armor/name/looks/build, needs to have a cool pet name as well.
As a player who enjoys building a certain character (like a swashbuckling ranger or an adventurer) Having the cool pet is a must.
Also, sometimes, I won’t change to a pet better suited for my character or my build. Simply because I don’t want to rename my pet yet again. After the 200th time it just gets anoying. It is really cool that you have the option to choose out of 40 pets. But this ‘no saving pet names’ results in me only using 10-20% of those 40.
Every new update I hope, against better judgement, that Anet is fixing this inconvenience. This fix can’t be that hard!

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Frostfang.5109

DeceiverX, That depends on that u have the same pets both on land and in water… Try to have different ones on every slot and u’ll see what happens.

Kima & Co

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

yet another little thing to show how much anet loves the rangers. pains me to say so, but with all the love we’ve been getting, i expect them to outright remove the profession altogether in future updates

if this was done because they didn’t think it was necessary, it is a major fail in common sense. if this was done because it was hard or would take too many resources, then the game is simply coded wrong. there is no if, but or maybe about it

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

As others have stated, if you give me the option to name the pet, AND the option to have 30 different pets, then take the time to make sure I can either save the names or don’t give me the option to name them in the first place. Its rude and frankly pointless.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

My theory is that we basically use carbon copies of mobs for pets, due to aforementioned save resources reasons (though to be honest, it is still taking a shortcut more than saving database imo).

Things like the pets turning to melee things, f2 ability tied to animations lag and the name save, sort of support this. If they changed for example the melee issue to be more responsive, then all world mobs would behave the same and it would be nearly impossible to dodge them properly.

That’s my theory, anyway. But it would be nice if they did like other mmos and made the pets saved individually.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

It’s because we forget their names after getting knocked around by hammer warriors.

J/K, they are free kills.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Maizael.3075

Maizael.3075

The first online game I ever played, Ultima Online, was able to save names of stabled pets…

That was probably 13 years ago.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: qualm like a bomb.6512

qualm like a bomb.6512

lol welcome to playing a ranger, wait until you expect to trigger your f2 ability…

Qualm – Commander
Grievance [GVNC] – Our drunken WvW is the kitten
Devona’s Rest – Forever Outnumbered & Kittened upon by Anet

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthenea.1546

Asthenea.1546

I posted this thread at launch. Kinda sad lol

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

The first online game I ever played, Ultima Online, was able to save names of stabled pets…

That was probably 13 years ago.

good one.

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Posted by: Oni.8465

Oni.8465

I know I’m very late to the discussion, but I just purchased Guild Wars 2 a few days ago and am playing ranger.

Some people have said that the names were never meant to be saved, but that must be wrong because my Juvenile Jaguar (snickerdoodle) and Juvenile Polar Bear (Penny), both save their names since the very first time I named them. I can put them both away and use two wolfs or birds, but when I put them back into play, those two always keep their names.

However, entering into WvW and PVP reset the names.

As for the rest, I just remembered them and I wrote them down in a text file on my desktop in case I forget.

(edited by Oni.8465)

Pet names not saving?

in Ranger

Frostfang.5109

Oni. That happens when u have the same animals both in water and on land… otherwise not.

Kima & Co