[Pro Tip]Fighting a LB ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

For those who are having L2P issue’s regarding the new rapid Fire changes…..See below:

Get in their face and make them swap weapons.

It’s really that easy…

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

BUT HOW I GET IN FACE WHEN SHOOT ME WITH PUSH BACK ARROW????

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

pewpew

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Try this new thing called stability, I know warriors have so little access to it but I’m sure you can figure something out.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

Try this new thing called stability, I know warriors have so little access to it but I’m sure you can figure something out.

BUT THEN HE GO STEALTH FOR 10 SECONDS AND SHOOTS ME WITH 30K RAPID FIRE!!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Rapid Fire should launch your pet instead of arrows, so your pet could be useful.

Rapidly fire 10 brown bears… sounds devastating.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Raina.8642

Raina.8642

Trait for reflects on block, and use riposte. 30K damage IN DA RANGERS FACE!

in Ranger

Wyrden.4713

the stealth is 3 s, use terrain, longbow rangers r too vulnerable to LoS

u can try strafing either

or block, or charge into em, or try using rifle for yolo purpose , or there is that rly weird thing thats called dodge, barely some warriors know about it, if u pay me enuf, i shall share this one secret with u

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I’m pretty sure warriorjrd.8695 is joking…

in Ranger

Wyrden.4713

first i thought sotoo, but every1 was so sirius..

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

I figured using logic against illogical people who claimed it was OP was too boring, so I resorted to mocking the laddies and lasses who shed many tears.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

I’m not sure why people make it sound like rangers are some kittens that can only use #1 and #2 LB….

If the ranger knows how to play, and he’s on a zerker build, if he jumps you first, you will die unless you are tank. Same goes for most zerker builds out there. Closing the distance will not make much difference. Sword is just as deadly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Last night i hit guy for so much Rapood Fyre that his character bypassed downed dying immediately , got deleted, computer exploded, and then his face melted off Raiders of the Lost Ark style.

rapuud fiar too stronk plz nerf…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Pro Tip #2 — Toughness.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

pewpew

I’ve been saying this for the past 2 days. PEWPEW

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

For those who are having L2P issue’s regarding the new rapid Fire changes…..See below:

It’s really that easy…

why. would. you. tell. them. that?

bruh.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Wyrden.4713

getting behind them breaks every bow cast /shortbow/longbow

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

getting behind them breaks every bow cast /shortbow/longbow

I can definitely vouch for that. Playing around with a cripple beastmaster with a longbow for a while when experimenting with new builds I became very frustrated by people running through me and causing my survival skills to outright not work when I absolutely need them to.

I went back to axes and greatswords ultimately.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s really that easy…

why. would. you. tell. them. that?

bruh.

That’s like letting them know about the secret weakness of “we’re really terrible within 600 range”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Fun fact: If you reflect the shot that was about to stealth the ranger, you get the stealth instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Fun fact: If you reflect the shot that was about to stealth the ranger, you get the stealth instead.

“Oh my god LB hits so hard he disintegrated!”

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I just saw a LB/GS condi ranger… Didn’t know we came that far already.

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

It is actual quite easy to brake ranger’s aim mechanism.
Exploit or not, you can win.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

Watch out. I foresee the new meta.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: adozu.6398

adozu.6398

problem is, as far as pvp is concerned, conquest is not about 1v1.

if the ranger gets hold of a good spot and a bunker friend of his is holding the point downstairs you can either waste your time chasing the bunker and getting pincushioned from afar or try to run around -off point- trying to catch a ranger with way too many escape tools. you can’t ignore a ranger shooting at you anymore, but you can’t really chase them around easily either which imho makes them totally in-meta now as far as s/tpvp are concerned.

can’t hold a point well on his own but then again a lot of classes/specs can’t. have fun trying to decap a guardian or hambow or engi while you get a constant hail of hurt from a safespot somewhere nearby however.

compared to a zerker staff ele (who plays a similar role) i can ignore that one after meteor burst and if i get to it it dies a lot easier.

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

if the ranger gets hold of a good spot and a bunker friend of his is holding the point downstairs you can either waste your time chasing the bunker and getting pincushioned from afar or try to run around -off point- trying to catch a ranger with way too many escape tools. you can’t ignore a ranger shooting at you anymore, but you can’t really chase them around easily either which imho makes them totally in-meta now as far as s/tpvp are concerned.

can’t hold a point well on his own but then again a lot of classes/specs can’t. have fun trying to decap a guardian or hambow or engi while you get a constant hail of hurt from a safespot somewhere nearby however.

compared to a zerker staff ele (who plays a similar role) i can ignore that one after meteor burst and if i get to it it dies a lot easier.

Speaking as a veteran staff ele who’s been playing zerker staff since waaaay before it became somewhat viable, staff elementalist is still way better than a sniper ranger for aiding a bunker or in team fights. A ranger does single target damage much better, but the elementalist more than makes up for it with insane AoE damage that can cover almost every point completely. The elementalist also brings two water fields, some decent AoE heals, and a blast finisher, which means he can also provide decent group heals and stack might for whoever is on the point while dishing out his damage. Not to mention Frozen Ground and Static Field providing some incredible AoE crowd control.

No, when I bring my staff to a battlefield a sniper ranger isn’t coming close to the sheer versatility I can bring. A sniper is punishing a single enemy at a time, and maybe inconveniencing the group with their AoE. My elementalist is applying heavy pressure to an entire group while simultaneously buffing allies and improving the damage of those fighting on point.

Even in terms of survivability I’d take my elementalist over my ranger if both are built for ranged damage. My ranger’s longbow is pitiful for defense, and the greatsword has only Swoop and some blocking to keep it alive. I tend to run triple cantrip with my elementalist, which means my ele has protection, stability, a good teleport, and a invulnerability or a block, in addition to what the staff offers, which is an evade in fire, a chilling field in water, a knockback and AoE stunning wall in air, and a reflect in earth which, coincidentally, makes my ranger decent at handling the sniper rangers in direct fights. My elementalist is also much, much better at handling incoming conditions than the ranger, and has more healing to recover from injury.

If I were asked to fill a ranged damage slot on a PVP team I’d take my elementalist over my ranger every single time. It just brings so much more utility and is way more flexible. The only advantage my ranger has is the ability to drop a single target in a quick manner.

in Ranger

adozu.6398

ele will always be more versatile sure, but you can also walk off most of it’s attacks (i’ve played staff ele a lot myself but mostly wvw admittedly), while i agree on the usefulness of water/ice fields and powerful cc i’m looking at the offpoint sniping role here, everything listed can also be done by a bunker-ish on-point ele which is a very different role.

some bursty thief coming for your wounded teammate? between the ranger and the ele it is the ranger that can drop it before it even gets the job half done.

also moar range and mobility allowing for easier placement and replacement.

it wasn’t meant as a “zerk staff eles are bad”, but atm i get more worried by a ranger being off the point, might be because i know how to handle an ele a lot better, time will tell. right now i think half my opponents didn’t even know what my skills do aside from “it shoots arrows” when i tried it.

(edited by adozu.6398)

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

AND THEN THEY GO IN THE WATER AND THERE’S A BEAR. HOW BEAR IN THE WATER?!?

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

How is this any different from before the patch? A full glass ranger sniping people from max range was just as devastating before.

LGN

in Ranger

Wyrden.4713

How is this any different from before the patch? A full glass ranger sniping people from max range was just as devastating before.

they r trying to make excuses as they cant just ignore the ranger anymore like they did before

btw power ranger still is as bad as necro in pvp

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Ranger

adozu.6398

+10% attack speed with LB from trait
-50% RF channel time
somewhat shorter LB5 channel
signets now affecting ranger for free
better AA scaling at non-optimal range

it’s a lot of damage and defense extra, it’s both harder to ignore and harder to kill

it NEEDED it tho

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

ele will always be more versatile sure, but you can also walk off most of it’s attacks (i’ve played staff ele a lot myself but mostly wvw admittedly), while i agree on the usefulness of water/ice fields and powerful cc i’m looking at the offpoint sniping role here, everything listed can also be done by a bunker-ish on-point ele which is a very different role.

That’s the thing though. Sniper ranger doesn’t have the sheer versatility, area of effect, or group support that an elementalist can bring. The only thing it has going for it is single target damage.

Assuming my ranger and elementalist come in to a team fight and have 15 seconds of no one paying attention to them so they can get off their full burst. My ranger will down two people at most, assuming one Rapid Fire is all that is needed to down each opponent and no one dodges or uses defensive skills. My elementalist will have downed the entire enemy team assuming they were paying just as little attention as they were against my ranger.

While a bunker ele can do a similar role, they need to build up might to reach similar damage to a zerker ele. A zerker ele is more comparable to a sniper ranger just because they can run up and unload immediately without needing extra boons. If my zerker ele does get time to build up might though… It’s scary.

I also feel no one should be able to outright ignore a full berserker geared burst profession while fighting someone on point. Ever. The fact you could before the patch is a testament to how much the longbow needed a buff.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I also feel no one should be able to outright ignore a full berserker geared burst profession while fighting someone on point. Ever. The fact you could before the patch is a testament to how much the longbow needed a buff.

Samesies.

Also I doubt you’ll kill anyone but another berserker with a single RF. But whatever.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

“I don’t always run condi, but, when I do, I run it with power weapons.”
-The Most Interesting Ranger in the World

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

“I don’t always run condi, but, when I do, I run it with power weapons.”
-The Most Interesting Ranger in the World

*least interesting

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

Found another interesting way to deal with sniper rangers.

I was on my trapper today and there was a sniper sniping at me in a team fight from on the bridge beside the point nearest to Svanir. It was a 3v3 with myself, a guardian, and a warrior vs the ranger, a thief, and a warrior. The thief and the ranger were both focusing me, but with 2.9K armor my ranger is pretty resilient.

Eventually the thief went down and as my two partners fought the warrior and the oncoming elementalist who just spawned I ducked down under the bridge the ranger was sniping from and he switched targets. I then threw my traps on the bottom of the bridge beneath where he was standing, causing him to get condition bombed and go down hard.

In another match it was Skyhammer and a sniper ranger was perched on the column path above mid. I dodged his Rapid Fire and hugged the front left column and kept darting out to take bleeding pot shots at him with my shortbow. My little sylvari was MUCH better geared for handling physical damage than his opponent was at conditions. When the sniper got below half health I ran out, dodged through his Rapid Fire again to get under him, and once more unloaded my traps beneath his feet for a finishing condition bomb.

It’s a pretty fun and unexpected tactic.

So far the only time I’ve legitimately lost to a sniper ranger was on Foefire in mid. She was clear across the point on a ledge and opened with Rampage as One → Point Blank Shot → Rapid Fire. I hadn’t seen her perched in the distance because I was looking at my minimap to see where my teammates were running, so that was my bad. Even so I still managed to survive and find cover. Unfortunately at that range with a shortbow and low on health there wasn’t much I could do, so I healed as much as I could, dropped my traps, and waited for her to have to run around, since she couldn’t get me from there. Sadly her pet ate my traps and she was free to close the distance and hit me with another Rapid Fire which I dodged, followed by Swoop→Maul which ended it.

She got crushed by my team when they finally made it to mid though, since she had to give up her positioning to get me. So moral victory for me!

All in all, I’d say sniper has a clear advantage over traps because of the limited range a trapper build tends to have and the fact a sniper ranger won’t have to come close to you and risk setting off your traps, but you can still pull a solid win if you can catch them off guard.

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

… I dodged his Rapid Fire

What is this “dodging” witchcraft you speak of!? The community has made it very clear that the only thing to do when facing a ranger is to stand still and face tank a burst attack and then come qq on the forums.

LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Or, line of sight them.

I have two characters, both of which have 0 mobility. A Necromancer and my trapper Ranger which has 3 traps and 0 stunbreaks/mobility as well. When I come across a LB Ranger I just find the nearest wall/pillar/tree what ever and make them come near me so I can nuke them with all of my traps (or marks in the case of Necro).

So, LOS or get in their faces. Or reflect. Or block. Or GG.

EDIT: Oh and before anyone says it, yes the Ranger will follow you every time. They’re about as smart as the pistol NPC’s at supply camps in WvW. Put a wall between the two of you and suddenly they want to give you a hug.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

in Ranger

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

10s? Sure that it was a ranger and not a shortbow thief with ogre or Pirate rune?

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

in Ranger

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

It probably just seems really OP by comparison to how rangers were before. Funnily enough, LB rangers hard counter other LB rangers. If you catch one of them in their rapid shot towards another person, you can wipe them out so fast since they all seem so intent on finishing the channel and not dodging. People just aren’t used to range dps actually being a thing I suppose. I mean, I used to have a full class cannon staff ele, my meteor swarm would down even tankier players if they were in it for maybe half the duration, and you can’t reflect those back to me. Same with lava font on down trait, had that kill several people trying to stomp me. Rangers are just like that. If focused on, they melt.

But just going from past nerfs/changes to all classes in general, I’d rather something be a little too powerful than not worth using at all. Or at the very least, separate changes for PvE and PvP.

in Ranger

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

It’s really that easy…

Except I just melee’d a dire thief that I brought down to 30% HP in 3 seconds? Poor soul chose not to run and got stunned by GS and then mauled. I was positive to shelf my thief after sep patch and switch to guard but man, the new ranger is so ridiculously OP, it’s just too much fun to not play it.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

(edited by MarauderShields.6830)

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

Getting into melee isn’t as effective anymore. First of all the damage on closer ranges was buffed on lb auto so even close range I’m critting about 2k. Second, melee can be very dangerous as well, as both gs and axe offhand can get some pretty nasty burst, not to mention the gs burst.

Maybe getting into melee works against people too stubborn to swap or something, but its not the end all to killing a lb ranger sorry. I would say the real counter is high prot uptime. The only class that gives me trouble right now is d/d ele and that held true before the patch too.

Lb ranger was actually in a pretty ok place before patch, now with the buffs its maybe too good. Idk Im just leaning towards it being a bit on the op side or at least verrry strong right now.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Warrior:
- “Shake it off” the 10 stacks of invul is what’s killing you
USE IT WHEN IT HITS AROUND 5 STACKS
-Bulls Charge, knock them on their kitten and move on
-Any Hammer skill, god only knows you guys know how to CC to death

Guardian:
-Blinding Blade/Pull
-Banish
-Shield of Absorption
-Wall of Reflection
-Contemplation of Purity [10 stacks of invul is whats killing you]
-Smite Conditions
-Sanctuary
-Basically every guardian skill in one way or another

Engineer:
-Shield
-Overcharged Shot
-Supply Crate
-Flash Grenade
-Pry Bar
-Gear Shield

Thief:
-Pistol Whip
-Black Powder
-Blinding Powder
-Scorpion Wire
-Basilisk Venom

Ranger:
-Signet of Stone
-Point Blank Shot
-Hilt Bash
-Protect me
-Wolf Fear
-Hope your pet does a knock down at the right time if able

Ele:
-Magnetic Aura
- Dust Devil
-Blinding Flash
-Gust
-Swirling Winds
-Magnetic Wave
-Obsidian Flesh
-Arcane Shield
- Mist Form
- Tornado [trickier but if you can get the ranger to be launched then worth it]

Mesmer:
- Illusionary Wave
-Into the Void
-Feedback
-Polymorph Moa

Necromancer:
-Death Shroud
-Reaper’s Mark
-Spectral Grasp
-Consume Conditions [get rid of that vuln stacks]

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

sums up the post patch ranger discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXsE5TMN1-M
whats more there is to add?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Immobilize them, with Entangle for instance and get on their backs. Not many new pew pewers run LReflex sadly, replacing it with SotH for whatever reason.

My usual lazy tactic is just to stealth myself, get closer, Entangle and Sword #1 on their backs.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

AND IF YOU ARE A GOD kitten MESMER WHO DOSNT HAVE STABILITY AND JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN WITH THIS kittenG GAME?

in Ranger

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

AND IF YOU ARE A GOD kitten MESMER WHO DOSNT HAVE STABILITY AND JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN WITH THIS kittenG GAME?

Stealth, reflect, distortion or one of the several interrupts will make short work of them. Mesmers can abuse one of the 3 most fatal flaws of longbow rangers. LoS and multiple targets. Stealth, clones and teleports lets you move in and out of LoS more, clones make great meatshields and distractions, and reflects will eat most noob Lb rangers alive since most don’t seem to think its worth interrupting their rapid fire when it’s all coming straight back at them. But really…stun them. Most of them only have 1 stun break and some of them don’t have any for whatever reason.

in Ranger

Sandrox.9524

Stealth, reflect, distortion or one of the several interrupts will make short work of them. Mesmers can abuse one of the 3 most fatal flaws of longbow rangers. LoS and multiple targets. Stealth, clones and teleports lets you move in and out of LoS more, clones make great meatshields and distractions, and reflects will eat most noob Lb rangers alive since most don’t seem to think its worth interrupting their rapid fire when it’s all coming straight back at them. But really…stun them. Most of them only have 1 stun break and some of them don’t have any for whatever reason.

First of all,thank you for trying to help.
Lets deal with what you said one by one:

1.RF if you havent noticed yet->follows stealth.

2.reflect->mesmers reflects are tend to not contributing the builds meaning if I run shatter,first thing i need to be mobile,hence portal,blink and free slot,now you can argue that the free slot can be feedback but than you miss one of the best mesmers skills which is decoy which handles almost every proffesion except ranger atm.other reflects needed to spec for them(traits) which ruin your typical shatter build.

3.Distortion->the only thing which helps apart from dodges,but have very long cd and I tend to secure stomps with it or get out of sticky situations so I wont having it all the time.

4.Inturrpt->This is a very good thing to do,if you see the ranger before the inital attack.Otherwise you just kittened.

5.all other arguments are really not reliable since clones are very low health+not spawn or be where you want them to act as a meatshield.And as I said before,stunning them really depends on alot of things which is see them first,or get the daze timed right.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Sounds like you refuse to adapt, you complain because your build has so far worked perfectly against everything else and now that there is one thing that may be able to counter your build.. You call for a nerf. Hurdur.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Sandrox.9524

Sounds like you refuse to adapt, you complain because your build has so far worked perfectly against everything else and now that there is one thing that may be able to counter your build.. You call for a nerf. Hurdur.

You are correct!
I call for a nerf cause it dosnt matter which build im on,if a ranger caught you by surprise,you are dead.Even if thief catch you by surprise,you can manage.Against ranger you are helpless.