Proposed Pet Management Menu & Pet Changes

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Playing Guild Wars 2 for over two years and a Ranger for fair amount in the first, after taking a hiatus from the game and returning, there were plenty of nice changes. However, I believe a few things can be altered to improve the QOL for Rangers, new and old, when it comes to the Pet Management window, as well as a few other changes to pets.

New Organization Menu:

• Alphabetical order: Makes it easier to find your pet by species and/or type.
  • Each row contains identical species: Easier to find your pet by type.
  • Primary stat(s) of each species: Listing the top 2 or single stat of a species to find a match for your playing style and/or situation.
  • Buff, Condition, or Ability icons: Easier time to identify what a pet can offer with their F2 ability without having to select them.

Down below is the proposed change vs the current menu layout.

Adding Torment via Pets:
Torment is a pretty kitten condition. I love it, however, Rangers don’t have access to it without external means. To add it to the class and create diversity in pets, I suggest changing either the Hawk or Eagle to have Torment so both their F2 abilities are not identical.

Why the birds? They excel at connecting attacks on moving targets, so let’s have one of them inflict additional punishment if the target keeps moving.

Addition of the Arid Parasite Devourer:
Personally, I was disappointed to return to the game and seeing new lands to explore (Dry Top and the Silverwastes) but there was no new pet to tame like the Reef Drake when Southsun was introduced.

At the moment, the Devourer is the only -on land- species with 3 different variants while others have 4-5 (including exclusive HOM pets). Would be nice to have one of these guys to charm and have their F2 life-leech to keep them unique – a toned down life leech vs the actual enemy one which hits rather hard.

Reduce Porcine Forage RNG:
As ‘entertaining’ as it can be to see what items you can get from your Porcine during Forage, reduce the amount of items possible down to 2 so it’s a 50/50 or remove RNG completely and allow each Porcine to give a certain item.

This is mostly due to some porcine offering identical items which strip them of their uniqueness (besides appearance) and others, such as the siamoth, offers 2 items that provide the same function (blind & stealth).

Give us a Dolphin.

Do these seem reasonable? Interested on what the community thinks, mostly about a revamped pet menu to be more organized to ease finding a pet, especially for new players.

TL:DR – Organize and revamp the pet menu, add an arid parasite devourer, change either the hawk or eagle’s F2 to inflict Torment, give us a Dolphin.

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

That looks great.

I’d be behind this 100%.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Nice suggestion but I would also like some general rules applied to pets that makes them more predictable for both, the owner and enemies.

For example I still find many f2 a bit unresponsive. They should interrupt any other action and cast instantly no matter if targets are in range (that should be determined by the player, not some automatic algortihm). Also pets should use other skills whenever off cooldown. I actually think it would be better if they just always rotate through their skills once swapped and then just keep autoattacking. The rotation should be possible to se in the pet menu (like which skill to use first).

Btw one reason I cannot wait for druid is the new class mechanic. Personally I think he will be able to fuse with the active pet for a short duration. The player becomes the pet and can control it. Not sure how they handle hp for that time but in the end it should be somewhat like death shrout but with skills depending on the pet.

Also make more pets useful kitten .

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Devourers can be used underwater, as for the HoM versions of pets they are the same pet as one of the existing ones just a reskin they share cooldowns.

Also they need to either remove the ability for opponents to pickup the forage items or all opponents to pick up conjured weapons.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Devourers can be used underwater…

Also they need to either remove the ability for opponents to pickup the forage items or all opponents to pick up conjured weapons.

Yeah, I just focused on the menu layout for the land version, minus the fish because I wanted to sneak in the dolphin. Currently, both the land and sea menus seem like a jumbled up mess.

As for Foraging, I believe the best solution (imo) that I have read is to have the item appear into the Ranger’s hand rather than the object lying on the ground.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Out of curiosity and boredom, decided to see what it might look like in-game with a menu change. I would have loved something like this when I started a Ranger…

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Underwater Spirits already hold the dolphin skin.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Underwater Spirits already hold the dolphin skin.

Still would like a Dolphin as a pet. Don’t care if the spirits underwater hold the skin or not. :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Love it. I was going to make my own mock-up but found yours instead and it is amazing.

I suggest the following changes:

• Add the three missing fish (Blue/red/rainbow jellyfish)
  • Make sure the HoM pets are all in the column to the far right, so the grid doesn’t show any “holes” in random locations for non-GW1 players
  • Have ground-only pets at the top, amphibian pets in the middle, and aquatic pets at the bottom

Great work. <3

in Ranger

Posted by: TheydonBois.9208

TheydonBois.9208

Excellent Work! Love it. Although, replace the Dolphin with a Narwhal please

in Ranger

Posted by: Rogue Potato.4723

Rogue Potato.4723

+1 quality of ranger life would go up immensely

“When there’s no point in doing something, the best idea is not to do it.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Kallunnah.3201

Kallunnah.3201

Oh please please please, this and pet names!

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

kitten that looks a lot better. Organised by species, species organised alphabetically as you’ve done I agree works best. Showing what their skill does by a little icon? Great for players not incredibly well versed with our pets. I’d suggest removing the stat icons though, the information is misleading clutter to expert players and unnecessary for new players who just want the fear dog or the bleed bear. It’s still misleading for players in between who don’t know what every pet is capable of and they are at the point where they would be looking at all the information available to make more informed decisions.

Spiders have high vitality does not tell you that spiders are a ranged attacker with the highest base damage on their auto-attacks. Nor does it tell you that drakes are super tanky and cleave or that dogs are CC machines.

Devourers can be used underwater, as for the HoM versions of pets they are the same pet as one of the existing ones just a reskin they share cooldowns.

Heh. Not unless it was changed in the patch two days ago. Have you got 25 HoM points? You can use the Rainbow Jellyfish’ chilling whirl, switch to a Blue Jellyfish and use its chilling whirl immediately too. The shared cooldown you see is merely a visual bug. If this counts as an exploit, this is an exploit I reported around two years ago and have been exploiting underwater since.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

(edited by HotHit.6783)

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Thanks all for the comments! Let’s all hope a more organized Pet Management window can be delivered by the time Heart of Thorns is released! I also made some alterations (thanks for the feedback) to the menus for fun.

Please note that any elements in these images I posted that are not in the original game (such as the dolphin) are stuff I added for fun and maybe out of a small hope that it will be added in the future. Enjoy!

Edit: Anyone else think the Rainbow Jellyfish could use a different icon?

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

+1, this is needed!

Very nice work mate!

As for the Dolphin… Just use the regular Dolphin Skin and change it out with the Armor Fish, since it is ugly as hell but has sweet stats and skills for a Dolphin! That would be pretty easy to do, surely.

in Ranger

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The other pets besides the Arid Devourer I’ve wanted are the Hirstute Ice Spider (Dredgehaunt Cliffs) and a baby karka. I would love to see some of the changes here. Looks really nice!

in Ranger

Posted by: Braxxis.7062

Braxxis.7062

I would love to have that be the pet selection menu. That and making pet names permanent instead of going back to “Juvenile -insert pet type here-” every time I change which two I have active would be fantastic.

Nahla Lisandril / Ashelia Morin / Craulk
Yolaine / Orindine / Maliasera
~ Among the Ashes [Dust] ~

in Ranger

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Well, the reddit thread caught the attention of UI dev Merryeli, sooooo fingers crossed

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Well, the reddit thread caught the attention of UI dev Merryeli, sooooo fingers crossed

Very cool! Hope the user updates the image link to include the latest version I put up. (I don’t use Reddit)

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

Also, I’d like to strongly suggest a cooldown system in the pet management panel, over each pet skills (including the F2 just for consistency) so you can have a better idea when the pet can use a skill. Very very small QoL change, but I’d like it

in Ranger

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Thanks for passing the news!

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140